• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Harry Kalas Dead at 73

ticklingfeet4fu

Level of Grape Feather
The long time Philadelphia Phillies announcer Harry Kalas went to the Nation's Capital to do a game as he normally does for the Philadelphia Phillies. Heck, he has been doing Phillies games on television and radio since 1971. The featured game for him on this day was the Phillies versus the winless Washington Nationals. This was the Nationals Home Opener.

At 12:37pm Kalas, who was also the Houston Astros announcer from 1965 to 1970, was found passed out in the announcer's booth. Team officials said it was serious. Harry Kalas was announced dead 11 minutes later.

Harry Kalas also did work for NFL films.

Here below is the story:

Phillies announcer Harry Kalas dead at 73

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports Writer

WASHINGTON (AP)—Longtime Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas, who punctuated innumerable home runs with his “Outta Here!” call, died Monday after being found in the broadcast booth before a game against the Washington Nationals. He was 73.

“We lost our voice today,” team president David Montgomery said, his voice cracking. “He has loved our game and made just a tremendous contribution to our sport and certainly to our organization.”

Kalas was found by the Phillies director of broadcasting at about 12:30 p.m. and taken to a local hospital, Montgomery said.

Kalas had surgery earlier this year for an undisclosed ailment that the team characterized as minor. He looked somewhat drawn last week as the Phillies opened the season at home.

Kalas joined the Phillies in 1971. Before that, he was an original member of the Houston Astros’ broadcast team from 1965-70. He also did voiceover work for NFL Films and for commercials.

In 2002, he received the Baseball Hall of Fame’s Ford C. Frick Award for his contributions to the game.

Kalas joined the Phillies radio and TV broadcast team the year the club moved into their former home, Veterans Stadium, replacing fan favorite Bill Campbell.

He wasn’t immediately embraced by Phillies fans, despite being paired with Richie Ashburn, a Hall of Famer as a player, and longtime announcer. But Kalas evolved into a beloved sports figure in Philadelphia. He and Ashburn grew into a popular team, and shared the booth until Ashburn’s death in 1997.

May you Harry Kalas Rest in Peace. You were among the best in the business. You will be missed.

4u, I just turned on the TV, and heard this terrible news. I'm in shock. As you know, I live in the area where Phils games are broadcast, and I've been listening to Harry announce games for the last 10 years. He was one of the giants of baseball broadcasting.

R.I.P. Harry. You will be greatly missed.

Mitch

I'm not even a sports guy, and I know what an indelible mark Kalas' voice left on the city.

Damn sorry to hear this. :(

Im just so broken up about this.

Although I was raised in New York, we had Channel 17 on our cable network, and I remember many afternoons listening to Harry, Richie Ashburn, and Andy Musser.

He had that legendary voice....but he also seemed like a genuine nice guy..one who you could sit there and havea a beer with and talk baseball all night long.

73 is still so young.

It's been a real shitty last few days to be a baseball fan.

A True Baseball Icon!

The word "icon" gets used a lot in todays sports. But when it comes to Harry Kalas he is a true baseball ICON. Not just here in the Philadelphia area, but everywhere the game of baseball is played. I was born in the Philadelphia area in 1967 & live in south Jersey, so for me Harry Kalas is the only voice I know when it comes to my Philadelphia Phillies. I hope he is calling a game right now somewhere in baseball heaven.

Thank You,
LBFT

One of the most recognizable voices in both baseball and NFL films lore. A true legend. He'll be missed.

Like most people in the Philly area, I grew up with Harry Kalas. My family would go to the beach several weekends every summer, and my dad would bring a radio and listen to the Phillies games on 1210 AM. I'd listen to HK as I built sandcastles, munched on Chipwiches, and soaked up the sun. Good times. RIP, Harry.

What's New

5/3/2024
If you need to report a post, click the report button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back