• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Has Anyone Tried Those New LED Light Bulbs?

kurchatovium

Wielder of 100 Feathers
I was looking at different light bulbs that last longer then incasdescents ( and yes I know about CFLs and dont want them) These LED ones last a really long time which is good for me because its hard for me to get on a ladder to replace bulbs when they burn out. I think they use less energy too and I like the spectrum profile matches up better with incadescents. I am an artist so the light output is important. The big problem now is they are a bit pricey. Cheapest I found was 20-25 dollars a bulb. If they last ten years though thats not too bad. Some of the fancier bulbs change colors and have a remote control. Thats a bit much LOL but sounds way cool. :p Has anyone else tried these out?

I have three of them in my bathroom Kurch, 40 or 60 watt I think. The management here paid for them and they are not marked anywhere I can see. They produce a "softer" light then the old bulbs but are more then adequate for a bathroom. I can't speak about the higher watt LED bulbs. As to how long they last, I don't know that either, mine are less then a year old.

I have three of them in my bathroom Kurch, 40 or 60 watt I think. The management here paid for them and they are not marked anywhere I can see. They produce a "softer" light then the old bulbs but are more then adequate for a bathroom. I can't speak about the higher watt LED bulbs. As to how long they last, I don't know that either, mine are less then a year old.

There max life is about 30,000 hours, an average incadescent lasts about 1500 hours.

I'm curious, Kurch, what don't you like about CFL's?

One problem I have with CFL's is the light is blue shifted which means colors in the red-yellow range of the spectrum are under represented. Being an artist I like lighting to be as natural as possible. Incadescents are very good at this. LED are not too bad either.

I dont want to turn this thread into a CFL/LED/Incadescent argument though. I just want to to know if people have used LED bulbs and if they have how they like them.

I've not tried them... The locals are still trying to make bows from the tellewag wires here!

What type of art? is it mostly digital?

How many of the great masters managed by mere candlelight?
Or is this the 13/08 obsession with perfect replication? :D

If they last long enough and don't give night time colour perception, then they should be OK... and probably worth it. shitty lightbulbs tend to knacker digital works up a lot, I think... lousy monitors :D

I've not tried them... The locals are still trying to make bows from the tellewag wires here!

What type of art? is it just digital?
How many of the great masters managed by mere candlelight?
Or is this the 13/08 obsession with perfect replication? :D

If they last long enough and don't give night time colour perception, then they should be OK... and probably worth it.

Candlelight and incadescent light are virtually identical. They are black body emitters and are both great for art. So yes candles and regular old light bulbs iz good.

Its mainly digital, some photographic, some painting.

I am obsessive thats why I am a good artist. :D

(and yes I know about CFLs and dont want them) These LED ones last a really long time which is good for me because its hard for me to get on a ladder to replace bulbs when they burn out. I think they use less energy too and I like the spectrum profile matches up better with incadescents. I am an artist so the light output is important. The big problem now is they are a bit pricey. Cheapest I found was 20-25 dollars a bulb. If they last ten years though thats not too bad. Some of the fancier bulbs change colors and have a remote control. Thats a bit much LOL but sounds way cool. :p Has anyone else tried these out?

Been reading good things about LED too. It's quite a revolutionary.

As of CFL - economical yes, but it kills the warm ambiance and mood of any room... Flourescent lamps housed by a nice diffuser do well in working rooms. For artists, nothing beats natural lighting, say coming from a window, especially if you deal with colors.

Last edited:
Been reading good things about LED too. It's quite a revolutionary.

As of CFL - economical yes, but it kills the warm ambiance and mood of any room... Flourescent lamps housed by a nice diffuser do well in working rooms. For artists, nothing beats natural lighting, say coming from a window, especially if you deal with colors.

Yes they are quite amazing. I am sure the prices will come down soon. :)

Even when I do photography the minerals never look as good under fluorescent as they do under natural lighting.

Yes they are quite amazing. I am sure the prices will come down soon. :)

Even when I do photography the minerals never look as good under fluorescent as they do under natural lighting.

Got it. It is unavoidable that we need to work at nights too. Doing things digitally and coloring with PC does not have light issues, other than having a really good monitor. But doing manual painting really takes toll on good lighting.

It's like this for me when it comes to manual coloring, there seems to be this "developed" sense in color that I work blindly in the evening. It means, I don't rely on what the artificial lighting casts. Weird, huh?

Got it. It is unavoidable that we need to work at nights too. Doing things digitally and coloring with PC does not have light issues, other than having a really good monitor. But doing manual painting really takes toll on good lighting.

It's like this for me when it comes to manual coloring, there seems to be this "developed" sense in color that I work blindly in the evening. It means, I don't rely on what the artificial lighting casts. Weird, huh?

Yea I do that to sometimes. I know what something should be and thats the way I color it. :)

Let me get all technical on you which us complusive geeky types tend to do. LOL :p

There is something called the CRI (which stands for Color Reference Index I believe) for any light source. Natural Light which is composed of most colors and is what is considered to be a black body emitter has CRI of 100. Very good for doing art. Incadescents are also very close to a 100 which makes them good for artsy things as well. :D A sodium lamp like those used in street lights is very monochromatic almost pure yellow light and it has a CRI of 0. Something blue under the yellow light of a Sodium Lamp would look almost black because there is no blue radiation to reflect back to your eye.

Wow! that's very helpful, Kurch. I will need to refer to this and do some research on other charts.

Lighting is one of the most interesting things to talk about. And why? It is very much important to art. There is no color in a surrounding without the significant amount of spectrum light can give. Then comes the massing of objects. Colors behave on what is adjacent to it and can be perceived differently from its actual hue.

We can just imagine how it will have impact if the light source isn't helpful.

Yea I do that to sometimes. I know what something should be and thats the way I color it. :)

Let me get all technical on you which us complusive geeky types tend to do. LOL :p

There is something called the CRI (which stands for Color Reference Index I believe) for any light source. Natural Light which is composed of most colors and is what is considered to be a black body emitter has CRI of 100. Very good for doing art. Incadescents are also very close to a 100 which makes them good for artsy things as well. :D A sodium lamp like those used in street lights is very monochromatic almost pure yellow light and it has a CRI of 0. Something blue under the yellow light of a Sodium Lamp would look almost black because there is no blue radiation to reflect back to your eye.

Wow! that's very helpful, Kurch. I will need to refer to this and do some research on other charts.

Lighting is one of the most interesting things to talk about. And why? It is very much important to art. There is no color in a surrounding without the significant amount of spectrum light can give. Then comes the massing of objects. Colors behave on what is adjacent to it and can be perceived differently from its actual hue.

We can just imagine how it will have impact if the light source isn't helpful.

Glad to be of help. :D

Very true. Its why I call my art album the Magic Of Light. :D

This is what makes LED light bulbs kind of amazing there are some that have remote controls and you can actually change the color of the light. This probably more useful for accent lighting but still it opens up a lot of possibilities. :D

What's New

5/2/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back