• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

SpiffyTickler

1st Level Red Feather
Just wanted to do a little public service and contribute something that I think a lot of people would love.

To those who either want to cardio, or already do cardio (running, biking, etc), if you're not already doing this you should try HIIT. Normal cardio involves doing the activity, let's say running, at a set pace for a while, say 30-60 minutes. If you're doing HIIT, you would cut that down to about 15 minutes, and instead of doing a set pace, you would jog at 50% of your max ability for 30 seconds, then sprint at about 90-95% max ability for 30 seconds, rinse repeat.

I've read about it from a lot of different places, but so far I like how this site phrases it. http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

In research, HIIT has been shown to burn adipose tissue more effectively than low-intensity exercise—up to 50% more efficiently!3 In other words, HIIT speeds up your metabolism and keeps it revved up for some time after your workout. The bottom line is HIIT training burns a greater number of total calories than low-intensity training, and more calories burned equals more fat lost. What I'm suggesting is you forget about the "calories burned" readout on the stairstepper or Lifecycle; if you practice HIIT training, the majority of calories burned will come after your workout!

I tried it out today and did around 10 minutes of it (I'm going to increase it over the next few days). I ended up taking a breather in the car before leaving because I was so tired.

The other upside is, of course, the amount of time needed. A lot of us are tight on time, so a quick work-out like this is perfect for that kind of a situation.

Here is the weekly plan itself if you are starting from scratch and want to work your way up to cardiovascular fitness:
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

Hmm very interesting, thanks for posting the links :)

My boss has said something similar, he trains young men rugby players and says the best way to burn up fat is to do a routine of jogging then running and then sprinting etc, over a period of time. Perhaps he wasn't speaking a load of crud after all lol :p

I need something to kick start my fitness, usually go for long bike rides and only started jogging last year, which means I'm very slack this year and need to get my arse into gear again. I've already made a start by buying a new helmet, mmm.

Thanks again.

What kinds of speeds would that be on a treadmill? I do 2 miles in 32 minutes and alternate speeds (3.4 - 4.2 mph) but not as often as every 30 seconds. It's more like every 5-10. I try to hit my target heart rate for a consecutive 10 minutes.

Ayla ny said:
What kinds of speeds would that be on a treadmill? I do 2 miles in 32 minutes and alternate speeds (3.4 - 4.2 mph) but not as often as every 30 seconds. It's more like every 5-10. I try to hit my target heart rate for a consecutive 10 minutes.

It's not really a matter of speed, it's just a matter of what your max effort is. Test yourself on the treadmill and see how fast you can maintain yourself for 30 seconds before having to return to a jog, and that will be your sprint speed.

Last edited:
My cousinis in the army, the recruiter told him to do this to prepare for basic training.

I own a personal training gym..........the rowing machine is the best cardio equipment in my opinion. Now how you use it will be the deciding factor on wether or not your bad back will like it or not. Feel free to ask for advice. I would rather tell you what you need to know instead of you getting hurt.

yjgfn said:
I own a personal training gym..........the rowing machine is the best cardio equipment in my opinion. Now how you use it will be the deciding factor on wether or not your bad back will like it or not. Feel free to ask for advice. I would rather tell you what you need to know instead of you getting hurt.

I actually have a question now that you mention bad backs. Do back exercises strengthen the back and thus help prevent you from getting back injuries, or can you have a really nice muscley back, lift something wrong, and ruin it?

Yes back exercises do strengthen your back to help prevent injury. But that doesnt mean you can never get injured. It just decreases your chances. And on top of that you need to be doing the exercises properly, corrrect form and speed. And also the right intensity level for your stage of physical fitness. Follow me?

Thanks for the clarification, Spiffy. I am incorporating a few workout activities into my routine to help along what my (almost) daily treadmill workout has been doing and am going to give this a try the next time I am on that torture device they call the Elliptical.

yjgfn, the rowing machine for cardio? I always felt like if I was sitting down… then it wasn’t cardio. I don’t think that the Y I joined has rowing machines. How do you feel about those bike-like things? Like I said, I have a thing about lying or sitting down and getting cardio… but maybe I am missing out on something?

Ayla ny said:
Thanks for the clarification, Spiffy. I am incorporating a few workout activities into my routine to help along what my (almost) daily treadmill workout has been doing and am going to give this a try the next time I am on that torture device they call the Elliptical.

Don't say that about my beloved Elliptical! :(

Honestly I love the Elliptical. Running, even on a treadmill, is a constant smashing on your knees and joints. The Elliptical lets me save my legs and still exhert a bunch of energy.

yjgfn said:
Yes back exercises do strengthen your back to help prevent injury. But that doesnt mean you can never get injured. It just decreases your chances. And on top of that you need to be doing the exercises properly, corrrect form and speed. And also the right intensity level for your stage of physical fitness. Follow me?

Gotcha. I've been meaning to take up the deadlift but I'm hesitating for this very reason. I'm going to have to go bug a trainer for pointers on getting the form down.

Ayla ny said:

yjgfn, the rowing machine for cardio? I always felt like if I was sitting down… then it wasn’t cardio. I don’t think that the Y I joined has rowing machines. How do you feel about those bike-like things? Like I said, I have a thing about lying or sitting down and getting cardio… but maybe I am missing out on something?

Rowing machines are fantastic cardio workouts---arms and legs pushing and pulling, but none of the pounding on knees or ankles.

I feel like an eliptical is a waste of time if your able to do other things.

yjgfn said:

No offense, but I strongly disagree. I normally do a 45 -50 minute workout on an elipitical crosstrainer and burn 700 calories. My tee shirt is usually drenched after the workout, but that machine has saved this old soccer players knee`s in a big way. It is by far my favorite cardio workout.

SpiffyTickler said:
Just wanted to do a little public service and contribute something that I think a lot of people would love.

To those who either want to cardio, or already do cardio (running, biking, etc), if you're not already doing this you should try HIIT. Normal cardio involves doing the activity, let's say running, at a set pace for a while, say 30-60 minutes. If you're doing HIIT, you would cut that down to about 15 minutes, and instead of doing a set pace, you would jog at 50% of your max ability for 30 seconds, then sprint at about 90-95% max ability for 30 seconds, rinse repeat.

I've read about it from a lot of different places, but so far I like how this site phrases it. http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

I tried it out today and did around 10 minutes of it (I'm going to increase it over the next few days). I ended up taking a breather in the car before leaving because I was so tired.

The other upside is, of course, the amount of time needed. A lot of us are tight on time, so a quick work-out like this is perfect for that kind of a situation.

Here is the weekly plan itself if you are starting from scratch and want to work your way up to cardiovascular fitness:
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

yes its good if ur say a long distance runner or sprinter and you wanna strengthen your cardiovascular system

but if your a bodybuilder whos dieting down for a show , or *like me* leaning down for summer

HIIT isnt always the best choice because bodybuilders wanna maintain as much muscle as possible and loose as much fat as possible so if you do a slow but consistant pace on the treadmill or bike or what ever your not exerting your self so hard that you use up glycogen , your body bypasses the glycogen stores and goes to thesecond most abundant soruce of energy in the body . the fats in your system , that way the glycogen stays in your muscles making them look much fuller

so HIIT isnt always the best choice but good article

yjgfn said:

well in all honesty the elliptical is one of the best cardio machines on the market today

its very safe , its low impact so theres not alot of stress on the knees where as if u run on a treadmill

plus its very good for beginners , because instead of having to keep up with the pace of the machine you choose your own pace

You all entitled to your own opinion. Do what ya want.

Just remember...when you think your burning 700 calories do you know what equation the equipment was programed with to figure that out? 99 percent of the time those calorie counters are waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy off.

Knee stress, beginers, i know all this. Its what i do for a living. But when someone asks for my professional opinion, i will tell them what the best thing to do is. In my professional opinion. Ive been around, its not like im new to fitness or health.

Have fun.

yjgfn said:
You all entitled to your own opinion. Do what ya want.

Just remember...when you think your burning 700 calories do you know what equation the equipment was programed with to figure that out? 99 percent of the time those calorie counters are waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy off.

Knee stress, beginers, i know all this. Its what i do for a living. But when someone asks for my professional opinion, i will tell them what the best thing to do is. In my professional opinion. Ive been around, its not like im new to fitness or health.

Have fun.

im not new to the health and fitness scene either

however what you do in the health and fitness scene might be different than me

im a bodybuilder so i look at things from a bodybuilding perspective

I've been getting a lot of Special High Intensity Training lately.

But I suppose April 1 has come and gone.

I’m most certainly not a bodybuilder, although I did do quite a bit of that in high school, (I could lift twice my weight, for 10 reps) these days I am looking to control the hell out of diabetes and grab back the good health I slacked away. I’m not looking for tone or bulk… I’m looking for cardio and fat burn.

I get shin splints… anyone have advice on that? I have been prone to them since I was a teen. I stretch and got myself some good running shoes with inserts, even!

I really like seeing a thread like this and appreciate any advice and/or input!

Ayla ny said:
I’m most certainly not a bodybuilder, although I did do quite a bit of that in high school, (I could lift twice my weight, for 10 reps) these days I am looking to control the hell out of diabetes and grab back the good health I slacked away. I’m not looking for tone or bulk… I’m looking for cardio and fat burn.
Consider Crossfit. Their goal is superior all-around fitness, including strength, speed, endurance, and health. Even their weight training workouts will get your metabolism up and your cardio going.

I get shin splints… anyone have advice on that? I have been prone to them since I was a teen. I stretch and got myself some good running shoes with inserts, even!
What sort of surface do you run on? That can make a big difference.

Also, improving your cardio health by other means can make shin splints less of a problem when you run.

I've tried this and I honestly don't feel I get as much out of the short sharp workouts as I do from the long slow ones. I've always been told the best way to get fit is to go for exhaustion straight away then train through it for the rest of the session, which seems to work for me at least because I find the longer you do that the easier it becomes to remain mentally 'with it' and put in the same amount of effort over time. It also sounds similar to the Fartlek training method, which is good, but again I only really find it effective if I'm training for the same amount of time except varying the intensity (that is, if I'm doing an interval run then do the full 60 minutes except throw in intervals throughout the 60 minutes rather than trying to cut down a 60 minute jog into 30 minutes by using intervals). That may be the reason I'm perma-knackered, but hey :D

I feel your pain! I get hellish shin-splints; the advice I got was to avoid running solely on hard surfaces and try to stick to dirt tracks or grass where possible. That and, like Redmage says, mix up the high impact running with low impact stuff like cycling, rowing and swimming. Swimming in particular is brilliant if your shins are sore, and it's also good if you've overdone it and your muscles and joints are a bit stiff. Very relaxing :E

What's New

5/13/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the most tickling clips in one place on the web!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back