• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

How do you gain weight?

sadi

1st Level Green Feather
No, seriously: how are you supposed to gain weight? Not just fat. >_<

No, not through beer, or drugs (ex. marijuana munchies), or shoving as much fast food as you can down your gullet.

Let me explain further: I have a brain injury, and from such, (which is apparently common with brain injuries,) I have gastroparalysis (I think). That means I don't digest food easily - at all. And from such - today being a particularly 'normal' one of my bad days (headachey), I was only 126lbs. :(

So, I was wondering what are some 'good' fat foods to eat? What are some high-protein, high-carb, high-anything foods you might recommend? (While I'm searching around Google myself)

The best trick I have ever found to gaining weight is to sleep as soon as you can after eating. Not just a lack of exercise, but a nap or, better still, a full night's sleep will quickly turn a satisfying meal into spare baggage.

But, before I suggest something such as that for your case, I am curious. When you fail to digest food, does this keep you from having an appetite, or does food you eat not digest, only to be passed later? If my the time everything reaches your colon nothing has been absorbed, then I do not think my advice will help much.

A lot of fish and meat are good sources of protein and carbohydrates. Eggs are a good source of protein too. There's always excercise to build up some muscle mass or what Bella suggested too. But you really ought to consult your doctor before taking our advice.

Haha! Sorry, that is a very good tip, it's just, as I said prior, I have a brain injury, and from such, I do sleep - a LOT. Like, a lot a lot! (Or I'm just physically tired so I lay on my bed looking around this website on my laptop. :lol) The thing is, it seems, when I eat a HUGE amount (likely less than all you 'normal' people), and fight back getting sick successfully until I sleep, I'm even less in the morning: I just don't get it! But, thank you very much. I will try taking naps more frequently, if my schedule allows it. Thank you. :happy:

It's not that I 'fail' to digest food, it's just INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLY slow! And thus, I do not have an appetite for food, or, even worse (but more frequent), when I do make myself eat 'relatively' normal amounts of food, I promptly throw almost everything up and then some, successfully losing even more weight than if I had eaten nothing to begin with. :( That's I thank Ensures at the moment! :ggrin:

For me, I just have to eat the smallest thing possible with the biggest 'punch for pound', in a sense. Like eating peanut butter instead of a rice cake, for example. It may be more filling, but there's a lot more nutrients in the amount of space peanut butter takes up instead of simply a rice cake (which I don't like anyways).

As of now, I'm still waiting to see a dietitian who's familiar with brain injury, that I believe my mother or case manager know of. :)

If you don't mind my asking, what type of injury did you sustain? If you don't want to discuss it that's completely your business. But knowing what all is involved maybe I can offer better advice. I still stand by what I said earlier but hey ya came to tt askin for advice and we wouldn't be very good friends if we didn't offer any ^_^

Bella Donna would be right. Sumo wrestlers get big by eating a big meal and then going right to sleep.

I know what works for me is being alive and eating food. That makes me gain weight.

It's not that I 'fail' to digest food, it's just INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLY slow! And thus, I do not have an appetite for food, or, even worse (but more frequent), when I do make myself eat 'relatively' normal amounts of food, I promptly throw almost everything up and then some, successfully losing even more weight than if I had eaten nothing to begin with. :( That's I thank Ensures at the moment! :ggrin:

(Virtual hug) I'm sorry you have to deal with this kind of crap. It would definitely bum me out

They tend to be a little expensive, and I'd recommend that you stay away from the "egg and veggie omelet," but cram down some MREs. You'll get about 2-days worth of your recommended calorie intake with each meal.

kopf: though it does get me down sometimes, I live with it and just brush it off to either be amused by something equally stupid, get annoyed at something trivial, or (best of all) rest or nap! :ggrin:

And Big_Blue, just what is an MRE? :huh

kopf: though it does get me down sometimes, I live with it and just brush it off to either be amused by something equally stupid, get annoyed at something trivial, or (best of all) rest or nap! :ggrin:

And Big_Blue, just what is an MRE? :huh

MRE = Meals; Ready to Eat They're army chow. They're not good, but they'll give you the energy you need to get through the day. They come in these big, plastic, olive drab bags. Just don't the toilet paper.

Ahh. Thanks, Bella. :happy: And, aside from trying to take two Ensures a day (when we have them, that is :unsure), I think I'll just try to do what Bella first suggested, and just try to sleep right after a - meal (can't be big, sorry folks :umm:). I feel STUFFED right now, but, that's 'cause I had a LOT on my account: half a Stromboli (panzarrotti, really), six timbits and about half a litre of pop. :blush (Though I have to admit liquids have never really been my problem, aside from one instance...)

hugs sweets...hmm...pasta..carbs...cheese...milkshakes...but in small amounts since you have trouble digesting food... peanuts...peanut butter...

hugs sweets...hmm...pasta..carbs...cheese...milkshakes...but in small amounts since you have trouble digesting food... peanuts...peanut butter...

Actually, you give me an idea. Since she said she has little problem with liquids, I wonder how she would handle the milkshakes or maybe even protein shakes.

Go to the gym, work out with very heavy wieghts, very low reps. Eat high protien foods, and lots of them.

No beer? damn.

But seriously, you have a brain injury and you're asking *us*? Your doctor should be able to suggest something. I would think some of the ideas here like shakes or pasta (just basic wheat, not rice or other funny stuff) would have enough carbs and protein both to do the job, but you'd need vitamins too to help metabolize it. Anyway, ask your doctor.

Lots of top ramen, cheese, (especially cheese)... Anything with a high amount of carbs.

I would say try to aim for the more "healthy" fats, like you would find in peanut butter and a handful of nuts (like you'd find in trail mix). They tend to be pretty high-calorie, but it'd be better than trying to cram fast food down your gullet.

Best of luck in trying to find ways to gain weight... But yeah, I definitely echo what others have said here about talking to a doctor. :)

Heh. Yes, yes, I know. I should talk to a doctor, blah blah blah. Well, to let you know I am going to talk to a doctor about this, and I don't know 'HOW' many doctors I've seen so far in trying to deal with more 'pertinent' issues (like I have an 8mm kidney stone stuck in my ureter for half a year - at least, or all my organs are in my ribs :rolleyes:) or something like that.

I just want 'your' advice on things I should do to try to help boost my weight the little bit that I can before I see this dietitian to give me the (hopeful :umm:) final answer on what I should do. :)

And Izzy and Bella, that's a good idea. I should go get some more ice cream to make more milkshakes! :ggrin: (As, that's what my mom used to do: mix Ensure with ice cream)

I personally would not recommend an approach to gain weight quickly through fat.

Ensure shakes are a good way to go, and if possible trying to do some exercise helps the protein absorption, hyperplasia is very rare as your genes determine the number of cells in your muscles, so hypertrophy is your best bet.

Since hypertrophy is an enlargement of the cells you do have, they posses more water, and can absorb and retain more nutrients as well.

If you do get around to exercising, and I mean lifting some weights(walking, running and such activities would make you loose weight), try to drink the protein shake right after doing it. Throw some sugar on the shake to get some carbs too, consuming protein with no carbs is starvation.

It worked great for me, I used to be 135, and gained 35 pounds of muscle doing that.

Obviously, try to get a good meal at least once a day, hopefully twice, don't rely only on the shakes.

Okay, I think I get what you're joking at... I think... ... :unsure

And, though it would work, it wouldn't be relevant to how 'I' would like to gain weight. So, fine. >_< How do I gain.. mass, I guess. I 'unno. :umm: And not by using 'roids? :stickout

I looked up this stuff, gastroparesis. Seems like anything with fat in it would be tougher to digest, so if you do shakes, try to do low-fat ones I guess. The pasta should still work if you don't add much to it. Best of luck.

What's New

5/1/2024
The final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now open. See the GFA forum for details!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back