• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Instant Messengers

somebody231

4th Level Red Feather
- AIM / AOL Instant Messenger
- ICQ Messenger
- MSN Messenger
- Yahoo! Messenger
- Xfire

I personally use MSN and it bugs big time with numerous bugs... everyone uses it so that's the reason I do aswell. The file-transfer is slow compared to IRC's DCC Send and sometimes the network lags so much, you can't see your friends messages or he/she can't see yours.
Sometimes the custom smileys also bug, they won't show up (download from the other person).

I also use Xfire and it works like a charm, except you can't change the font unless you modify .ini-files and the file-transfer is kinda like in a beta-phase... you can't even see the download bar.

I have no experience with the other software mentioned above, except I once tried to install AOL and hated the installer... don't remember how it was. but it did something without asking permission.

I once tried ICQ and it was OK, but hated the "ICQ Numbers" as ID, instead of your email addy. I mean which is easier to remember? [email protected] or 3245317526 ? :D Well can someone tell me for example how Yahoo! Messenger is? Everyone seems to blame yahoo for it's geocities' sucky bandwith and groups "dissappearing".

Please give your opinion on this and reply!

I use only MSN, and for two reasons:

a) I know my way around it
b) It's more popular (what's the point in being with a messenger service when none of your friends use it?)

Sorry I didnae make this answer more detailed.

I use MSN most often cause it's what the people I talk to use. The webcam and file transfer on MSN is the best.
Yahoo's file transfer works very rarely. webcam is okay. The whole program is kinda unattractive. Being able to be invisible/online to people individually is cool if you wanna be stealthy.
AIM is alright...you cant talk when tranfering a file though and webcam SUCKS.

I've only got Yahoo! B/C it's easier for me to understand, I like the smiley's, and all my buddies are on it:>

I use mostly AIM and MSN, but I also dab in a little Yahoo!, IMVU and ICQ now and then. I kinda hated AIM for a while, but I think the new AIM they have out has a spiffy layout. All cool stuff and whatnots. Also I think that choosing your own sound when you send a message is cool. ;D

Last edited:
trillian.

which basically grants me access to all of the above. :)

I use Aim, MSN, and Yahoo, but not very much. I prefer MSN. It is sleek, has much better features (webcam, file transfer, etc), and it is easy to use. Yahoo is...yahoo. Not to pretty but it gets the job done. There is webcam, but only if you like 1 frame per 20 seconds. "hey look, a blur!" Aim is just bad, but I have it for some reason. I feel like stupid when I use it. Not because it is hard to use, but because of it's overly simplified GUI. Every time I turn on my computer, the darned program opens up a whole new window (not a small popup, but firefox itself) and takes me to the aol website. I'm thinking of uninstalling it.

I'm not even sure why I have messengers at all...I never talk to anybody! :D

I use Yahoo, AIM and MSN with equal frequency. No problems or qualms with either

Apologies if this is a little of topic, but do people here talk to each other much using instant messengers?

I haven't yet. Although the people I feel i'd want to send a hello to don't put it in their profile or sign on once every 4 weeks *coff*

I talk to nobody here! I'm a pretty boring person :)

I could never get Yahoo versions after 5.6 to work properly, nor would AIM install, though the plain Windows Messenger built into Windows XP and MSN Messenger 7 have been OK for me. In practice, I usually use AIM via Miranda IM, an open-source multi-protocol program which I like, though it's very difficult to configure and definitely NOT for inexperienced users. Miranda is mainly designed for text-only, individual chats: it will only transfer files with the MSN protocol and does not support webcam, avatars, or Yahoo multi-user chat.

I used to be on IM all the time, but lately I haven't even been logging in until about 4 a.m. Eastern Time when things begin to quiet down at the various forums I take care of. On that schedule, I usually chat with Europeans because it's mid-day there. (There are many people from here with whom I would love to chat, but I know that we'll probably never be on at the same time so I seldom even add anyone to my IM list anymore :( )

I use AIM and MSN. Of the two, I'm afraid I'll have to go with AIM. MSN has been giving me and some of my friends problems, disconnecting at awkward moments. AIM's actually been more stable for me that way.

Instant messengers

I used the next messenger programs and these are some of the (dis)advantages I noticed:

No webcam
You must set many preferences to get it to work how you like it.
Rather unstable connections lately due to overloading of the aim network, which it uses.
advantages:
File transfer of unlimited size possible.
Broken file transfers can be picked up later.
Many people use it.

MSN:
disadvantages:
Broken file transfers are lost.
On some computers emoticos and animoticons don't work properly
Between some computers seems no file transfer possible.
Sometimes server for longer period not reachable.
advantages:
Many people use it.
Large file transfers possible.
Good repair function. No settings are lost if the program gets damaged.
Nice animated smilies possible.
Webcam possible.

AIM:
disadvantages:
Some adware may come with it.
No Webcam possible.
Less people use it.
advantages:
Large file transfers possible.
Broken file transfers can be picked up later.
Mostly stable connections.

Yahoo:
disadvantages:
No file transfer possible between older and newer versions.
File transfers of limited size.
Advantages:
Webcam possible.
Stable connections.
Many people use it.

Trillian (basic):
disadvantages:
No webcam possible.
Only simple smilies possible.
Some smilies are not in the smilies list.
No file transfers possible to yahoo users, over the yahoo connection only to other Trillian users.
No file transfers possible with some icq users and some MSN users, and even with some other Trillian users.
advantages:
All-in-one messenger.
Easy to use.

Which program you use depends on what you want to do with it.

Only chat: use Trillian
Big file transfers: use ICQ
Use nice smilies and small file transfers: use MSN
Use webcam: use Yahoo or MSN

Red Butler

just a correction:

i believe AIM usage depends on your location, on the east coast, I've met about 5 people in real life that use MSN and in the hundreds of people who use AIM.

so i think it depends on who your circle of friends is

Thanks very much, Red, for the information. If I had to pick only one standard messenger, it would be MSN, for chatting and small file transfers.

Yahoo hasn't been stable for me!!!! My friends and I get disconnected at all sorts of intervals *cries* Well, it's ok, cuz most of em hang out here anyway ROTFL OMG I just realized I have no life.

I use yahoo messenger, msn messenger, and aol sometimes. I like yahoo and msn

I just figure that if anyone wanted to talk to me, they would message me. Haha, probably why I talk to so few people! :D

What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back