• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Kazaa in the news on Yahoo!

dodger

TMF Master
The fight is escalating between file sharing programs and the music industry. here's a quote:

"Through programs like Kazaa, Morpheus and Gnutella (news - web sites), a person can find virtually any song or movie — sometimes even before it's released in stores — and download it for free. On a typical afternoon, about 3 million people are connected on the Kazaa network and sharing more than 500 million files."

Now how many of those 500 million files are tickling files? :) What does everyone think? Is it wrong to share tickling files using these programs?

dodger said:
Is it wrong to share tickling files using these programs?

Hell no! That goes for music and movie files, too. :D

They cant stop it!! More file sharing programs will just replace these. THEYLL NEVER STOP THEM ALL

ShiningIce said:
They cant stop it!! More file sharing programs will just replace these. THEYLL NEVER STOP THEM ALL
That may not be true. The news story says they are going to attack the ISP companies whos customers are using these programs.

dodger said:

That may not be true. The news story says they are going to attack the ISP companies whos customers are using these programs.

I wonder how the hell they'll pull that one off. I used to work for an ISP, those kind of activities aren't monitered to my knowledge. Then again it wasn't one of the big boys like AOL or earthlink. I still fail to see why even they would moniter that kind of activity, it's kind of like going after the phone company because your roomate ran up a long distance bill.

This should be interesting, should the ISP's start monitoring. Big brother always gets hungry.

DK

Lets discuss this then. Maybe it's not at popular as we might think. Maybe it's too much trouble for the average user? How many of you out there have actually ever used Kazaa and downloaded music or tickling?

There are other programs, but I think Kazaa's pretty popular and easy to use for most people. I don't like the original Kazaa software because of its spyware, so I use Kazaa Lite to download music. Someday I might use it to download tickling clips, too, if I ever remember to. :p

Re: Re: Kazaa in the news on Yahoo!

amk714 said:

Hell no! That goes for music and movie files, too. :D

amk, I'd like you to work your ass off at your job, whatever that may be, and then when you go to your paycheck, your boss tells you someone stole it and you DON'T GET PAID FOR YOUR HARD WORK. Then tell me how cool it is to steal copyrighted material on Kazaa.
Dirk

Dirk, I'd like to quote another user's post from a different (but somewhat related) thread:

Originally posted by guitman69

MP3's aren't hurting artists, they're hurting the record companies. The companies pay the artists so little (usually just a few cents on every CD sold), that there is no way this could be hurting them. A musician makes their money from performing, not from selling records. And the more popular a musician gets, the more tickets they sell, and the more they can charge for them.

Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.ticklingforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23908

So if I am stealing, it's from the recording industry executives, not from the artists. Maybe that's still wrong to you, but if you want to buy CD's that feature only one song you like on them and make those suits rich, that's your business.

P.S. I'm a student, so I don't get paid for my hard work. :p

so amk let me see if i understand you...

it's not ok to steal from the singing artist, but it is ok to steal from the recording company that paid the artist?
you do realize that when you put the recoding company out of business, there will be no one to pay the artists?
i don't use kazaa any more, due to spy ware, and too much trouble to use. one thing i did down load, was the harry potter movie, that took 2 days! 2 whole freaking days! we wiped it, and bought the dvd.
steve

amk714 said:

So if I am stealing, it's from the recording industry executives, not from the artists. Maybe that's still wrong to you, but if you want to buy CD's that feature only one song you like on them and make those suits rich, that's your business.

P.S. I'm a student, so I don't get paid for my hard work. :p

Ok, first off, THE ARTIST RELIES HEAVILY ON SALES!!! Here is why:
The record company JUDGES the artist on sales. If 100,000 people buy a record from a given artist and 2,000, 000 download the album via KAZAA in MP3s, then the label thinks the artist is a bust when they actually should be DOUBLE PLATINUM!!! The artist won't be around much longer on that label because of stolen material.

Next, you say that STEALING mp3s only hurts the record execs (you know, I might be one of those record execs..) but did you ever think that without the record industry making money, there WILL BE NO MORE ARTISTS except the local band who plays the bowling alley? I'm not kidding here, if music piracy continues at this rate, sales will go way down and labels will all bite the dust, and so will artists.

Last, I can name about 100 artists that I know that DO RELY ON RECORD SALES for income. Not all artists can tour ya know, its not exactly the easiest thing in the world to do.

Overall, if you like an artist and are a true fan, you should be happy to shell out 15 bucks on their hard worked album...
The Dirk

Do you think that there are ONLY preview tickling clips floating around on Kazaa? Or are there also "members only" clips? From what a couple of guys told me, they say that they have seen a lot of clips that are not preview clips? Is that pirating? Or is it just trading? What do you all think?

What that tells me is that the actual members from these sites are putting the files up on Kazaa. What does that say about the members of the sites? Contributing to pirating? Otherwise, how would the member site's files be all over Kazaa? You have to have been a membership and first get the files before they can be shared on Kazaa. Of course I don't know if there is any truth to your statement that member clips are all on Kazaa because I've looked and never seen any. :confused:

I heard on the news this morning that they anticipate that over 175 MILLION people have downloaded clips of Kazaa. Good Grief!

Holy cow! 175 million? That's like at ton of people. This age of information and data is amazing isn't it?

Re: so amk let me see if i understand you...

areenactor said:
you do realize that when you put the recoding company out of business, there will be no one to pay the artists?

I am not looking to put anyone out of business. If the record companies put MP3's online and charged a reasonable fee for downloading them, I'd be willing. Also, I think CD's should go for 5 or 10 bucks, not 15 or 20. And I don't download movies because they take up too much time and their quality isn't very good. Lastly, many artists are doing pretty well, even though people are "stealing" their work. Sorry if I came across as some anti-capitalist or something. :p

Dirkman said:
Overall, if you like an artist and are a true fan, you should be happy to shell out 15 bucks on their hard worked album...
The Dirk

More like $20, but I agree. In fact, I'd say most of the people who buy CD's are true fans of the artists. And if record companies judge the artist on sales, shouldn't prices be lowered across the board so those of us who aren't true fans but like at least one of the songs on the CD will buy it? Seems to me the industry is punishing struggling artists for something it's to blame for. I have nothing against making a profit, but a few dollars would make a difference to music lovers who don't have a lot of money to spare, such as us students. ;)

Dirkman said:

If 100,000 people buy a record from a given artist and 2,000, 000 download the album via KAZAA in MP3s, then the label thinks the artist is a bust when they actually should be DOUBLE PLATINUM!!! The artist won't be around much longer on that label because of stolen material.

If I were an artist, that wouldn't bother me in the least. If 2,000,000 people downloaded my MP3, and my record label dumped me, I'd say "good riddance." Any artist capable of achieving "double platinum" Kazaa status could easily skip the selling of albums, and release their music for free on their website, thus saving all of the BS they go through from their label. Their popularity wouldn't suffer, and they'd still profit tremendously from their MAIN (in most cases) source of income- concert tickets.

Dirkman said:

but did you ever think that without the record industry making money, there WILL BE NO MORE ARTISTS except the local band who plays the bowling alley?

Oh, darn. FYI, the band at the local bowling alley can't get by with playing one good song followed by 60+ minutes of utter crap- which is what you'll find on most mainstream albums.

Dirkman said:

I'm not kidding here, if music piracy continues at this rate, sales will go way down and labels will all bite the dust, and so will artists.

Not by a long shot. The music industry is perfectly capable of getting along without the monopolistic pirates (more on that in a bit) whose companies make up the RIAA. Do you think that, in this age of electronic communication, artists are solely reliant upon record companies to distribute their product? No way! Look at what Tech N9ne and Public Enemy are doing... It's only a matter of time before the majority of artists realize that the centralized distribution of music is the way of the past. Mp3's ARE the future of music.

Dirkman said:

Last I checked, the average CD cost quite a bit more than 15 Dollars... and I know WHY. The major labels behind the RIAA recently settled a price fixing lawsuit brought by the attorneys general of 43 states, commonwealths and territories. The RIAA is not merely an advocacy group. It is an organization which facilitates the illegal cooperation of its members, so that those members can fix prices and squeeze out competitors... simultaneously. The RIAA is rather like a non-violent, music-oriented version of the Gambino crime family...

Thankfully, the record labels' main weapon, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, is about to be neutered by a significant ammendment: The Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act, currently being introduced to Congress by US representatives Rick Boucher (D-VA), John Doolittle (R-CA), Spencer Bachus (R-AL) and Patrick Kennedy (D-RI). This act will restore the Fair Use Rights normally held by purchasers of copyrighted works. It also has some other very interesting (and VERY welcome) clauses. You can read all about it at this link to Rep. Boucher's website:

http://www.house.gov/boucher/docs/dmcrasec.htm

To the poster who said he never can find clips on Kazaa:

It's Thursday morning and I just searched "tickling" on Kazaa and quickly got 87 results back. So they are there you just have to keep trying at different times with different searches. Hope this helps.

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but I know if I ever download an entire album from one of these programs, I find that I listen to it MUCH LESS FREQUENTLY than I do my store bought music. It's weird...like I need to see real cases, liner notes, and CDs to really feel like I own the music. Also, I don't feel Kazaa or Morpheus are really inteded to accomplish what Napster originally was set up to do (give audiophiles a chance to sample NEW music in hopes of purchasing the CDs). The only artists that you really can find on the newer programs are mainstream. For example, I'm a jazz musician...it's nearly impossible to find anybody other than the big guys (Miles, Charlie Parker, Duke, etc.) on Kazaa. Just my two cents.

-Jazz

Wow...

There are lots of sides and opinions on this subject, and some very well thought out arguments. I have used Kazaa, not for music but for other things. I actually sit on the fence on this. I have used Kazaa, I like Kazaa; but if the Kazaa shut down down tomorrow, I wouldnt lose an ounce of sleep.

For those who oppose it, here is something to think about though: Everytime you ask me or one of the other contributers to "make a clip" of something we taped off of tv, we are file sharing. Maybe not on the 175 million scale, but we are. We are making available copyrighted subject material we had no part of in production, and making it so you can download it onto your hardrive. Then, your buddy e-mails you. He or she didnt get a chance to download it, so they request you e-mail it to them. Once you e-mail them that 15 second clip, you are also file sharing. Before you know it, roughly 6,000 members (not counting lurkers) have a 15 second clip of someone being tickled. A good example of this would be the Jennifer Love Hewitt tickle fight. How many of you (I actually dont have that clip, not a big fan of her) actually bought the dvd. Or did you just wait for someone here to buy it and make a clip. My guess is the latter, because frankly, the movie was piss poor. Multiply 15.00 times 2 or 3 grand. Again, not quite the scale of Kazaa, but file sharing nonetheless.

Again, I think everyone had good solid points on a debate that has been going on since someone invented the recorder. I just wanted to put a little spin on.

keith

Um when I started this thread my intentions were to specifically discuss tickling files & Kazaa. I'm interested in all of your thoughts on sharing tickling files! Not music! Tickling! So please go back a look at the question from me on the first post of this thread and let the discussion begin. :cool:

ShiningIce said:

I agree with Ice. I mean, are they gonna have the "music police" going house-to-house to see who has MP3s and who dosen't?

And if they do kill programs such as Kazaa and such, you can always go onto Mirc (old school file sharing)

Door 44 Productions
What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back