• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Kid Movies as Adults

tickle gamer

3rd Level Red Feather
Hi All! Have you ever watched a movie as an adult that you watched as a kid and it played out different in your head?

A few nights ago, I watched the Aladdin movie [the first one] because there was nothing else on. Now, When I watched it as a kid, it played out as an adventure in my head. But, Watching it as an adult, it played out more as a romance movie with a little comedy thrown in.

Now, not many men would admit this, but I am a sucker for a good rom-com. I do watch other movies too,[like, I am waiting till Red Box gets Suicide Squad right now] but, there is just something I like about rom-coms.

I saw The Parent Trap as a new movie in a cinema when I was 11 years old. It had a plot that was both mawkishly sentimental and predictable, but I still liked it because of all the wonderful barefoot scenes. :feets: Especially nice is the scene where a bear licks honey off of the bare soles of Joanna Barnes.

Upon seeing the same film as an adult, I noted that it had a plot that was both mawkishly sentimental and predictable, but I still liked it because of all the wonderful barefoot scenes. :feets: Especially nice is the scene where a bear licks honey off of the bare soles of Joanna Barnes.

The Parent Trap

I barely remember that movie, but would love to see it again. Do you know where I could find an old copy?

That the way it is with Hollywood, they keep re-making stuff, till it's impossible to find the old stuff.

I barely remember that movie, but would love to see it again. Do you know where I could find an old copy?

That the way it is with Hollywood, they keep re-making stuff, till it's impossible to find the old stuff.

The original that Milagros refers to starred Haley Mills as both daughters. The remake starred Lindsay Lohan I believe. They play the remake quite often on TV so I'm sure you can stream it from somewhere...

The original that Milagros refers to starred Haley Mills as both daughters. The remake starred Lindsay Lohan I believe. They play the remake quite often on TV so I'm sure you can stream it from somewhere...

I know. I was not a big fan of the remake [even though, I do like Lohan]

If I remember, the original was made sometime in the 80's, or maybe early 90's. Which in my opinion, was the best time for movies.

I remember a lot of greats

Star Wars [all the originals]

Howard the duck [well, I like it at least]

and, One of my all time favs, Weird Science.

oh, yeah. and Splash

A few nights ago, I watched the Aladdin movie [the first one] because there was nothing else on. Now, When I watched it as a kid, it played out as an adventure in my head. But, Watching it as an adult, it played out more as a romance movie with a little comedy thrown in.

I saw "Aladdin" (as an adult), a bunch of us took acid and went to see it, it was amazing, lol.

There's lots of stuff I saw as a kid that I see completely different as an adult. Not just kids' movies but all movies. I rewatched "Annie Hall" recently (there's a rom com for you), the first time I've seen it since I'm OLDER than the characters in the movie. It gave me an entirely different perspective, I couldn't believe it, even though I've seen the movie so many times I can recite for beginning to end, I was seeing every scene in a completely different way, with way more understanding than I ever had, it was a really cool experience. (I first saw that movie no later than 12 years old, tops).

As far as a kids' movie: "The Bad News Bears", wow, what a great movie! I was watching it with my nieces and nephew, I couldn't believe how great it was, and how ADULT it was! As great as I remembered.

Another movie I saw as a kid, soon after it came out, was "Animal House". When I was a kid, it was all about Belushi and the frat boys acting crazy. But I watch it now, and all I can see is how brilliant - and hilarious - the bad guys are: Dean Wormer and Nedermeyer, oh my god, I laugh so hard at every single thing those two do. As far as the frat itself, my favorite character to watch now is Flounder! No contest! What a performance! Hoover, also, the President of Delta House. I really notice how great everybody else is, whereas when i was a kid, I took 'em all for granted and just focused on the obviously hilarious John Belushi.

You know what's GREAT as an adult - and completely different? The old Batman series. Watch all the episodes with Julie Newmar as Catwoman. HILARIOUS. So much of that stuff flew right over my head, I was obviously focused on the action and the fight scenes and everything. Now, it's all double-entendres and innuendo! ("The Muppet Show" is another. Was working on two levels, simultaneously. No wonder why my parents watched it with us!)

I know. I was not a big fan of the remake [even though, I do like Lohan]

If I remember, the original was made sometime in the 80's, or maybe early 90's. Which in my opinion, was the best time for movies.

I remember a lot of greats

Star Wars [all the originals]

Howard the duck [well, I like it at least]

and, One of my all time favs, Weird Science.

oh, yeah. and Splash
The original version of The Parent Trap was released in 1961.
Unfortunately, it is not available for free. It be rented from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Parent-Trap-Hayley-Mills/dp/B003QSPTAY

I think [and this is just my opinion], Hollywood could make a lot of money, if they would dig up the old movies, and ether convert them to DVD/Blu-ray, or do scene-for-scene remakes.

I know a lot of them I would want to buy.

Well, I watched the modest old version of Beauty and the Beast as a kid. After seeing Disney's version, I exactly felt the same about the "how will a human being fall for an... animal *&^%$#@!???" You see, the only difference is this: as an adult, my train of thought seems to play in my head with graceless malice. You wouldn't want to grow up at times. :eek:

"how will a human being fall for an... animal *&^%$#@!???"

I was not a big fan of B&B ether. but, you have to think about Beasts personality, he was charming, gentle, gentlemanly, [and, just guessing, of course, they would not show this part in a kids movie] a real "beast" in the bedroom, if you catch what I mean.

I think [and this is just my opinion], Hollywood could make a lot of money, if they would dig up the old movies, and ether convert them to DVD/Blu-ray, or do scene-for-scene remakes.

I know a lot of them I would want to buy.

You can get just about film you want on DVD from Amazon. One shelf of my bookcase is filled with nothing but classic films from the 1930s'-70s'. And I usually pay more for the shipping than the DVD. Buying used is the key.

80s stuff. Mostly because as an adult, I'm aware at how unrealistic most of the stuff is in their action and comedy films. Most comedies would end halfway through as the cast was arrested for the various felonious hijinks they caused during that "fix-em-up" montage, and most action movies would end in the first act as the hero didn't survive that grenade blast or gunshot to the shoulder.

I'll tell ya a weird one: MacGyver episodes. When I was a kid, MacGyver was THE SHIT because he could invent anything on the spot. Watching episodes as an adult, I realize that "Hey, isn't it convenient that everything he needs is in the very room he's usually trapped in?" There's never a missing piece. He never gets 7/8 pieces together and then the 8th piece is missing and he can't go through with it.

But the best example I can think of is not so much a film as much a scene: Back to the Future.

I love BTTF, as much as an adult as a kid, although in different ways. But there's one thing that is fundamentally different for me now that was definitely not there in the 80s and 90s.

At the scene at the 1955 clock tower as the storm is building up, Doc finishes briefing Marty on the whole lightning-bolt setup he has ready to go and gets out of the DeLorean and says "Well, I guess that's everything!" and Marty realizes that he has to go. Up until this point, Doc has refused to let Marty tell him about the future, completely unaware that Marty is trying to save his life in the process, and Marty has been polite about it. But now, Marty's time is up and he has to leave Doc behind, and return to the future, never to see him again. Realizing that he is about to lose his best friend in the world for the second time, and being powerless to do anything about it, Marty grabs Doc in an embrace--gripping him as hard as he can and holding back tears; the desperate, clinging urgency of someone who is saying "goodbye" for the final time and knows it. Doc, confused by the passion in Marty's gesture, casually says "In about 30 years?" and Marty responds "I hope so" choking on every false word as it comes out.

climax_012.png

It's a small moment, less than 10 seconds long, and it's absolutely devastating.

When I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, it was just a moment that was part of the dramatic logic of the scene. It made sense to me, but it didn't affect me; the scene of Doc getting shot by the Libyans was more traumatic. But in those days, I hadn't lost anyone close to me. In the years after, I lost a number of people I cared the world about, and I felt that their passing took the reasons for living with them. Now that moment when Marty grabs Doc as if he was a piece of driftwood in a hurricane feels like a spear in the gut. To have the chance to see again someone you lost is already moving and powerful enough, but to have to lose them again? Almost inconceivably painful.

And yet, Marty McFly manages to convey all the gravity of unspeakable longing, regret, love, and anguish in a simple gesture that manifests what we all would feel if we were in his position: grab the one you love with both hands and never let go.

That's the one thing that watching a lot of childhood movies as an adult does to you: it makes the pain and loss all the more potent.

A lot of the movies I saw in theaters as a kid (Jurassic Park, Home Alone) still hold up pretty well as an adult.

What's New

5/12/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back