• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Laptops/Notebooks-Different Than Desktops?

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
Okay, so my computer saga continues. Luckily, when I restarted my computer just before, I was not getting the error message about the processing fan being a problem, that I was before, so I think the guy fixed it. So far, I've been satisified with their work.

Which brings me to the next issue: I'm thinking of getting a laptop. In the eight years I'm using the internet, I've only used desktops. Is a laptop much different to use, does it function differently, and if so, how? Is it difficult to learn to use?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mitch

A laptop is basically just a portable computer. We have three. One is hooked up in the office as our "main" computer and the other two are our computers we use every day. Go for the laptop. They are just as robust as a desktop.

Thanks for the info, QB. I will look into it.

Mitch

Laptops are good; I use one as my main computer.

But there is a trade-off - the compact size means there can be limitations on processor speed and memory; not to mention the infinite amount of trouble I've had with the heatsinks on mine - these babies tend to get very hot if they're on for a long period of time.

So, if you're using a computer for something that requires a lot of memory/RAM/CPU/whathaveyou, you're better off with a desktop. If you use a computer for writing reports and checking the web, get yourself a laptop.

Thanks for the advice, Artoo. I'll look into it.

Mitch

One thing to keep in mind about laptops is that you really shouldn't leave them on all day long, like you did with your desktop. You really should hibernate and/or restart every now and again to protect it from overheating. The convenience of being able to take it with you anywhere in the house is quite an advantage, if you have wifi. Also, depending on your usage, you may even want to consider going with a netbook. If you primarily use your computer for the internet and don't really game or use resource-draining software, you could save yourself quite a bit of money by going that route. A decent netbook will run you roughly 200 bucks. The downside is how tiny they are, especially if you're looking for a big screen for pretty visuals, or a large keyboard. You could always get around that with a cheap USB hub and a regular keyboard. I'd also invest in an external hard drive from Western Digital, but that's just me.

There won't be any big learning curve to move to a laptop as far as using it. It's all the same computer parts, just smaller. The only difference is if you are going from Windows XP to Vista or Windows 7, but then again buying a new desktop brings the same challenge. That just takes getting used to it.

It's just a smaller and portable version of what you are using now. As for speed issues Ru mentioned, don't sweat that because that's just a money thing. They can be had extremely loaded. The more you spend the more you get. The question at hand is what are you going to use it for? If your primary use is surfing/email/pics and clips then you won't need anything major, but if you are doing photo/ movie editing or gaming you may want to look at something that can handle that. All can be done with laptops, just know what you will use it for when you are shopping.

Flat, thanks, I understand what you said about not leaving it on all day long. I used to turn this thing on and off, and hibernate it. Now, I just leave it on all the time, and it goes into screen saver, except if theres a storm, I turn it off, and unplug it.

Krazie, thanks. I'm going to use the laptop computer for work, as well as surfing, chatrooms, website, etc. I'll also be sharing it with my mom to do work, and perhaps for some personal things for her.

Thanks again, guys, I'll look into it.

Mitch

What's New

5/15/2024
The TMF Links forum keeps you updated on tickling sites all around the web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back