• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

last ever launch of the space shuttle

TklDuo-Ann

2nd Level Black Feather
This morning, at 11:26 EST, will be the final ever launch of the space shuttle...provided storms in the area don't get too close. You can watch it live online on NASA TV. If you happen to have a Roku player, the NASA TV channel is available for free on there. So, you can watch it on your television. History in the making.

I used to be against NASA's cuts and shuttle scrapping, especially since our Moon exploration program has been put on hold.

But with companies like Virgin Galactic and SpaceX actually stepping up to fill the void and who are genuinely looking to compete and expand, I think the shuttle program can be retired without much in the way of long-term damage to the future of space exploration.

But someone does need to remind Washington that if we don't continue to look at settling the Moon, we may find Taikonauts setting up bases there in 20 years while we mess around in low Earth orbit.

Wow, I remember watching my first launch in elementary school.

Man do I feel old I can remember when this was just science fiction.

We need to honor Apollo 11 and go back to the moon, NASA or no NASA.

The mighty Saturn V needs to rise again.

They did get off the ground this morning. As someone who was growing up during the early days of NASA, I find this day somewhat sad. Our teachers would roll a TV into the room so we could watch the launches live. The Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions were the Golden Age of the manned space program. Now, we won't have a launch vehicle to send our astronauts into space. NASA seems to have lost its way at times. Or maybe its just me.

We need to honor Apollo 11 and go back to the moon, NASA or no NASA.

The mighty Saturn V needs to rise again.

I've seen a Saturn V, on display at the Johnson Space Center in Clear Lake near Houston. An amazing piece of technology and engineering for the day. Its hard to appreciate just how massive it is without seeing one in person.

They've had one of the astronauts from Atlantis on every news station around here because she graduated from college in this area.

I watched it live this morning, I was at lunch at work and it was on TV. Pretty cool but sad that was the last one.

This was a bittersweet moment for me. My mom actually let me stay home from school to watch the very first shuttle launch. And now the program is over. Take a moment to remember those brave men and women who gave their lives in the name of exploration and advancement on the Columbia and Challenger.

They are trying to use Corporate Sponsorships along with government to revive the space program. Compared to the rest of spending the space program is miniscule... We are going to put this money into the economy and the inner cities. I continue to laugh my ass off. Obama's unemployment rate, it's back over 9.0, 9.2 as of yesterday. But if we didn't have the stimulus unemployment would be 17.0 (Eat Me)... Of course massive spending in inner cities has really worked well in creating a stable environment, in fact it's just done the opposite.

Great way to hijack a good thread with your bullshit! Keep it in P&R, ok?

They are trying to use Corporate Sponsorships along with government to revive the space program. Compared to the rest of spending the space program is miniscule... We are going to put this money into the economy and the inner cities. I continue to laugh my ass off. Obama's unemployment rate, it's back over 9.0, 9.2 as of yesterday. But if we didn't have the stimulus unemployment would be 17.0 (Eat Me)... Of course massive spending in inner cities has really worked well in creating a stable environment, in fact it's just done the opposite.

Another example of Darwin in reverse....

The sad part about all of this is that 1200 people will now be laid off because the shuttle program has come to an end.

Letting private companies take over space exploration is NOT the way to go....greed and power should not be the motivator for space exploration....the thirst for knowlege should be...

What gets me is that we are going to have to rely on the Russians to get to the Space Station for a couple of years.:rant:

April 12, 1981. Columbia, (STS-1) is launched. Commander John W. Young, Pilot Robert L. Crippen. I remember watching the launch live on TV. It was a proud moment for America.

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qMPLydUbuM?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qMPLydUbuM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Very sad. The Space Shuttle program produced a lot of science and new technologies. It was extremely stupid of the current adminstration and congress to cut back on this program given all the useless crap theyare still spending money on.

Perhaps they'd rather spend our tax dollars on useless crap, and let the rest of the world move into the 21st century. Given the rise of religious fanaticism in recent years, I'll bet the same sentiments that got Galileo in trouble 500 years ago might be part of the reason for the phase-out of the shuttle. Just sayin'.

When the space shuttle returns, everyone dress up in Ape outfits. Pass it on...

What's New

5/9/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back