• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Members Over Age 45 Please answer.

njjen3953

4th Level Orange Feather
Hi All,
I started back at school yesterday and received my first assignment in my Foundations of Education in America class. I have to ask people over the age of 45 the following questions.

1)How do you think education is changing?

2)What were things like when you were in school?

3)What was the emphasis? ie. reading.

4)What are your thoughts about the educational system today?

If you prefer to e-mail your answers to me, please do so at [email protected]. This assignment is due on Thursday, January 16th.

Thanks in advanced,
Jen

njjen3953 said:
Hi All,
I started back at school yesterday and received my first assignment in my Foundations of Education in America class. I have to ask people over the age of 45 the following questions.

for the worse! schools are too permissive; too much emphisis on sex education; use of calculators in the class room resulting in kids not knowing how to do math w/o one. standarns have been lowered; cigarettes, and beer are evil, but lsd, haroin, and ectasy not even mentioned! it's really happened, the dumming down of america!

the setting was more formal. school was a place to be respected. dress codes were enforced, the teachers them selves appeared more professional. rules of behavior were more strictly enforced. no one was on psychiatric drugs, half the class wasn't on ritalin! if students were unruley, they were delt with, not druged. teachers taught! wow, what a concept huh?
all subjects were emphasised. reading, math, science, social studies(history)

designed to bring the whole class down to the lowest level, there by making the teachers job easier. more concern is placed on sex education, than on penmanship!
i place the majority of the blame on the unions.

If you prefer to e-mail your answers to me, please do so at [email protected]. This assignment is due on Thursday, January 16th.

Thanks in advanced,
Jen

steve

njjen3953 said:
Hi All,

I'd say there's too much emphasis on making sure students feel "empowered and successful", rather than making sure they have a grasp of the material and the processes that should be used to obtain results and research information. The practice of giving out stars and passing grades for any effort at all is ludicrous, imo.

More organized, in terms of standards and accountability. Expectations were set, and it was the students job to meet them, rather than wait for the curve to "save" them and propel them forward to yet another level they're unprepared to succeed within. Obviously there was less(ok...basically "none")computerization. We had slide rules, and basic calculators when I hit college. Discipline existed, and the library was a vital part of ones educational experience.

Learning HOW to learn. Executing ones mastery of a subject both verbally and in written (yes...using the magic rules of "grammar"and the exotic "spelling" as well...lol)form. Emphasis was on being prepared and adaptable.

It needs to stand up and state in no uncertain terms that the "bar" is HERE, and that it won't be lowered no matter how much whining is thrown at the standards and accountabilities that this bar represents. Less quantity of homework, but better follow up and expectations. The sheer volume of material being presented is excessive, and to compoud the problem with lowered standards doesn't reward either the group that IS managing to succeed, or the group that fails but moves forward regardless. 2 bad lessons being taught by these procedures, imo. Return to emphasizing the ability to learn, although the availability of information on the internet could impede this dramatically. We churn out graduates with no real skills to continue to explore their world...very sad.

Thanks in advanced,
Jen

My reply

Jen,

As an old guy, who attended school in the '60's and 70's... here's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps and good luck with the project.

I've noticed that the system seems to change fairly regularly, mainly to keep up with the technological innovations that have become standard. I think that teachers and students have become more aware of world events thanks to increased media, though I believe there has been less focus on the fundementals of learning. I'm referring to reading, writing, and a good foundation. I think there has been less focus in these areas and it shows. Students are unable to communicate well, their speaking lacks vocabulary and often is so fast and mumbled, it's difficult to recieve the transmission.

When I was in school things were more structured. There was emphesis on respecting others, having itegrity, keeping your word and doing for others. People were encouraged to volunteer. People were encouraged to get involved in community events and participate in many activities. Discipline was important, structure was key. Parties were colorful and enjoyable with more focus on having fun than seeing how drunk or high you could become. Sure, a little weed was consumed and some beers...But not the heroin, crack coccaine and hard alcohol that exists in schools today.

I believe the focus was on making well rounded individuals...this included everyone from the jocks to the more shy and timid students.
Reading was important...as were the sciences and proper writing technique. I believe we were expected to do our best at everything and I believe that most people in my class attempted to do just that.
Though it sounds like a commercial...I think the emphasis was "Be All You Can Be!" Over 90% of my High School graduating class completed college and over 60% of them received advanced degrees, becoming professionals.

I believe kids are much smarter today, thanks to the advent of the Information Highway and increased technology. Little kids are far better prepared it seems than we were when we first started our education. We are an instant~need to have it now~ society. I think students are focused on themselves and are more selfish, with a "What's in it for me?" attitude. I think the system has realized this and has made a great effort in bringing available resources to the classroom but neglects to get students re-focussed in being humanitarians. I think it's about money and how much you can make. I think it's about material things that are waved in front of kids that motivate them and that's unfortunate.

In summary, I encourage the educational systems to bring VALUES back to school. To encourage each student to do thier best, and to do for others. To bring honesty and honor out of our students so they can be proud and confident. To eliminate attitudes that are harmful and lead to things like the Columbine incidents. Teach mutual respect for people and property and become more community oriented.

Education seems to be more focused on the specifics of the subjects at hand without regard for the specific needs of the students. Although schools are doing a better job trying to keep up with technology, the students often need the hands on experience and face to face interaction to learn how to communicate and get along in society.

I went to Catholic school. We were focused on learning, memorizing, and respect. We had the standard Reading, Writing and Arithmetic but respect for ourselves and respect for others was paramount. I used to stand when an adult entered the room. Now the students just talk over the teachers and don't pay much attention to them.

In addition, we were expected to "give" to the community. We volunteered at the school, at church, helping the elderly, working at the parks.

A big emphasis was placed on reading but also math, science and writing. Learning to communicate both verbally and through writing was very important. And History and Geography were big parts of learning. It helped us to realize we are just one small element in this huge universe

I feel the students are missing out on the human interaction piece that was so important to me as a child. The focus on learning is ok but learning has to be tempered with physical education and learning other skills that can be taught through other means rather than on the computer.

Very interesting, so far.

Thanks you guys. This will give me a lot to discuss in class. :)

Jen,

you have received some very good input, and I would like to add just a few thoughts, based on my interaction and participation with the California elementary school system.

Public education in California has become very polarized to reading and math, as schools are tested and recieve funding based on the scores in these subjects. Because of that emphasis, and declining funding, other subjects that played a larger role in our education - science, art, music, p.e., etc. have been reduced to semi regular courses.

A great challenge to the state of California in the last 25 years has been "how do educate a growing and diverse immigrant population". The bay area prides inself on cultural diversity, and is faced with educating children of hispanic, chinese, vietnamese, filipino, eastern block europe and other countries. I think teaching and communication was easier to do when we were kids than it is now.

Our country is also very different economically today than 30 or 40 years ago, and in many families no one is home to instruct or guide the children in after school activities, including homework. Teachers deal with a wide variety of social issues and situations that were perhaps are more overt than years before. A teacher takes on the role of social worker, baby sitter and counselor with regular frequency now.

Thanks for listening

Technology is a double edged in education. I have always believed that one must understand "why" before they can benefit from the easier "how" that technology avails. To that extent, I think that much of the fundamental concepts of math and writing must be mastered "manually" before calculators and computers are availed.
Technology can help with self paced activities, and incredible media and information resource.

What's New

5/12/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back