• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

More Cowbell?

IrishTickle

TMF Expert
For a while I've heard people saying "more cowbell" and I just assumed they were simple. But I've since learned that it's from A Saturday Night Live sketch with Christopher Walken. Now, being a Walken fan, I decided to look around and find out what all the hullabaloo was about. I searched Youtube and found a load of clips of people doing the sketch and finally I found the sketch itself.

Well, basically, it's not very funny. Is it just me, or is there some other reason why people go on about this sketch? I must be missing something, but to me it's just really, really bad (although, in fairness SNL hasn't really been funny since the John Belushi days).

Oh, and what's the story with "I'm Rick James , bitch!" ?

IrishTickle said:
For a while I've heard people saying "more cowbell" and I just assumed they were simple. But I've since learned that it's from A Saturday Night Live sketch with Christopher Walken. Now, being a Walken fan, I decided to look around and find out what all the hullabaloo was about. I searched Youtube and found a load of clips of people doing the sketch and finally I found the sketch itself.

Well, basically, it's not very funny. Is it just me, or is there some other reason why people go on about this sketch? I must be missing something, but to me it's just really, really bad (although, in fairness SNL hasn't really been funny since the John Belushi days).

Oh, and what's the story with "I'm Rick James , bitch!" ?

The segment is supposed to be funny\revolving around wil ferrell and his actions, and less on walken, but walken and his eccentric personality causes people to enjoy his role(tho i ask if they even know who bruce dickinson is)

As for rick james, its a boring used joke by Dave chapelle detailing the past history of rick james and eddie murphy's brother.

Guess ya just had ta be there, sport. One man's funny is another man's WTF?

As for me, well, I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell! :evilha:

OMG Dan!

LOVE Chris Walken and this whole sketch. (Actually anything he's in!) And Rick James/DC bit too. I'm a total moron for Dave.

I see you're from Ireland~even though both countries speak English, some things get lost in translation. I know a lot of the British things I've seen that were supposed to be funny just struck me as stupid, not because it necessarily WAS stupid, but because our sense of humors our different. I know I don't get Mr. Bean at all. And who's the comedian out of Scotland I beleive...Billy somebody. He occasionally makes appearances in American TV and movies. Sometimes I think he's funny, othertimes, I just don't get it.
I'd chalk it up to cultural difference!
XOXO

AffectionateDan said:
Guess ya just had ta be there, sport. One man's funny is another man's WTF?

As for me, well, I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell! :evilha:

It's a classic skit. I love it. Will Ferrell (SP?) playing cowbell for Blue Oyster Cult. Venray had a reference to that skit in his signature for a good while.

cowbelled1vn2vl5.gif

The Scottish comedian is Billy Connelly. He was in Her Majesty Mrs Brown, and the last season of that sitcom with Howard Hessman and the super smart high school kids.

steph said:
I see you're from Ireland~even though both countries speak English, some things get lost in translation.

Yeah, I was just assuming that. It's odd though, because rather than it being a total WTF type thing, I can see how they are trying to be funny, but just don't see how it is funny and certainly don't understand how it can have cult status. And considering how much I like Will Ferrell' stuff, it's odd. :)

Yes! Maggie~that's the guy, thanks!

I dunno Irish. I don't know how popular they are over there but I liken it to the 3 Stooges and girls. Most American guys love them. I never got it, even as a kid I was like, "What? This is nothing but a bunch of guys running around poking each other in the eye and smacking each other over the head with hammers~what's funny about that?" I'm sure more went on, but I never had the patience to watch any further.

So I'm going to take a stab at the Cowbell thing and see if it helps at all, ok?
Here we go... :rotate: You've got:

a) Christopher Walken, beloved actor (over here anyway) and well-known for his numerous performance of crazy guys, playing here, as a crazy record producer.

b) The band, playing a beloved rock classic by a beloved rock band (BOC)who feature VERY heavy emphasis on their guitar talents.

c) The rest of the band in the sketch is taking their work very seriously but in comes Will Ferrell responsible for only one instrument: the cowbell.

So, here's the band doing a cover of a classic and to the horror of the band, all this crazy producer keeps calling for is "More cowbell. Can you turn down the guitar a little, because I can't hear the cowbell...I gotta have my cowbell."

See? Because it's so stupid is what makes it so funny. That it's ridiculous and would never happen in real life, not with a real band anyway.
Better?

XOXO

IrishTickle said:
Yeah, I was just assuming that. It's odd though, because rather than it being a total WTF type thing, I can see how they are trying to be funny, but just don't see how it is funny and certainly don't understand how it can have cult status. And considering how much I like Will Ferrell' stuff, it's odd. :)

Yeah, I get the premise of the joke, but I suppose the 3 Stooges analogy is very apt (I was always more of a Laurel & Hardy and Marx Brothers fan :D ).

Still will probably never get why so many people go on about it. It's no parrot sketch Now that's crazy :D

Why, thank you Sir, I thought it was an apt comparison m'self! :jester: (the whole Mars vs. Venus thing, right?) I felt the same about Marx Brothers, etc. too...

Ah yes, Monty~don't even get me going about all the SPAM and EGGS. (I didn't get what was funny about them for the longest either...) Now that HAS changed.

Does Ireland have anything at all resembling SNL?
XOXO

IrishTickle said:
Yeah, I get the premise of the joke, but I suppose the 3 Stooges analogy is very apt (I was always more of a Laurel & Hardy and Marx Brothers fan :D ).

Still will probably never get why so many people go on about it. It's no parrot sketch Now that's crazy :D

Sadly no. Irish tv was a fairly late bloomer. Ireland was pretty much under the thumb of the Catholic church up until the late 70's and even after that the church had the last say in most things (I think it was 1990 that condoms became legal here!), so tv had to behave itself (although there were the odd rebel).

Most of our tv came from the UK and pretty much in the last 10-15 years have we gotten exposed to US tv (most of which I could live without lol). Luckily we generally only get the cream of the crop.

As far as SNL type shows go, the only one we ever got a look at was the very early SNL's when they were repeated years after. Now with Satelite I can get the new SNL's but they just can't compare to back in the day when comedy was an art :D

Samurai Warrior?
"Jane, you ignorant slut!"
"I, Roseanna Roseanna Danna..."
"I am GUMBY, dammit!"
:p :p :p

Yeah, I know what you mean. But you know what? Some of the new stuff isn't so bad, different casts, different years were better than others.
Craig and Arianna are ALWAYS hysterical (since you're a Will fan already)
Adam Sandler killed as Canteen Boy, Opera Man, as himself doing "Red Hooded
Sweatshirt" and "Happy Hannukhah"...
And who could forget anything by the legendary Chris Farley :sadcry: (my generation's Belushi)

And what's cool about SNL is they're SO cult, they still can get cameos by former original members who all JUMP at the chance to return to their humble beginnings, how cool is that! :xpulcy:

XOXO

IrishTickle said:

Lemon curry?

steph said:
I dunno Irish. I don't know how popular they are over there but I liken it to the 3 Stooges and girls. Most American guys love them. I never got it, even as a kid I was like, "What? This is nothing but a bunch of guys running around poking each other in the eye and smacking each other over the head with hammers~what's funny about that?"

I laughed just by reading that, Steph. Thanks!

Will's antics are what makes the sketch. The way he gets in the people's face and will let his gut hang out. Watch the other guys faces, some have to try real hard not to laugh. Same with the sketch in the clothing store and he rides in on the motorized wheelchair/scooter.

He's great in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"

I know, huh!

True though, right? It was the best analogy that hit me on the fly...
and y'welcome!
For sure the "LIVE" part is a huge part in SNL's success. They just keep rolling cameras, no matter what. Now was that "The Gap" commercial w/Adam & Chris and co., or are you referring to the one where he's that totally flamboyant guy with the text msg watch that comes in and insults everyone? Both are hysterical~good picks babe!
XOXO

phfttklr said:
I laughed just by reading that, Steph. Thanks!

Will's antics are what makes the sketch. The way he gets in the people's face and will let his gut hang out. Watch the other guys faces, some have to try real hard not to laugh. Same with the sketch in the clothing store and he rides in on the motorized wheelchair/scooter.

He's great in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"

steph said:
True though, right? It was the best analogy that hit me on the fly...
and y'welcome!
For sure the "LIVE" part is a huge part in SNL's success. They just keep rolling cameras, no matter what. Now was that "The Gap" commercial w/Adam & Chris and co., or are you referring to the one where he's that totally flamboyant guy with the text msg watch that comes in and insults everyone? Both are hysterical~good picks babe!
XOXO

The second one. One time he comes in and goes right by the two guys ( I think Pierce Brosnan is one character ) and just runs right into things and uses this little tiny cell phone. They all try to hold back the laughter.
I have a SNL Will Ferrell DVD which is great. The Jeapardy ones are great, with Sean Connery. :rotate:

Loved it! :p
XOXO

phfttklr said:
The second one. One time he comes in and goes right by the two guys ( I think Pierce Brosnan is one character ) and just runs right into things and uses this little tiny cell phone. They all try to hold back the laughter.
I have a SNL Will Ferrell DVD which is great. The Jeapardy ones are great, with Sean Connery. :rotate:

Now all gotta do is get Irish to cross over to the DARK, um, I mean DAVE Chappelle side. :bouncybou You up for breaking down the Rick James bitch sketch for him?

XOXO

steph said:
Now all gotta do is get Irish to cross over to the DARK, um, I mean DAVE Chappelle side. :bouncybou You up for breaking down the Rick James bitch sketch for him?

XOXO

It's a shame nobody new Charlie Murphy was that good earlier on ( for anyone else that's Eddie Murphy's brother ). When he goes into those stories :blaugh:

"I'm Rick James, bitch!"

other notable sketches - Lil' Jon, Samuel Jackson Beer, Race Draft and The Niggar Family

:eek:
WHAT! Drew, what? Not an SNL fan or not Dave Chappelle?
How can this be?

Looks like between Drew and Irish we got our work cut out kids! :scared:
XOXO

TklDuo-Drew said:
I'm just not feelin' it, babies!!

Drew

steph said:
:eek:
WHAT! Drew, what? Not an SNL fan or not Dave Chappelle?
How can this be?

Looks like between Drew and Irish we got our work cut out kids! :scared:
XOXO

Uh......Steph....I was actually quoting the Cowbell sketch. I know there's some point where "Bruce Dickerson" says that line.

Never tuned into Chappelle's show(though I got a kick out of him in "Half Baked") but I'm definetley am, or was, a SNL fan. Last three or four years have been unwatchable.

I still remember back in 1974 seeing the bogus SNL commercial for denture cream when the old guys teeth fall out of his mouth and they bounce a few times on the table. Had to hold my hand over my own mouth not to wake my parents I was laughing so hard!

Drew

Oh you BRAT! You totally got me! (I told ya it'd been awhile since I watched it!) I was SO thinking, "there's no way HE doesn't get this!" Shame on you (and me, I guess, for playing around on computer at 4 in the morning when I actually have a day to sleep in!) Ya bastard! :p
XOXO

PS~I actually do a pretty good Christopher Walken imitiation, for a girl. My favorite bit is the "watch up my ass" speech from you know who's movie ;)
I've destroyed the room with it more than once...

TklDuo-Drew said:
Uh......Steph....I was actually quoting the Cowbell sketch. I know there's some point where "Bruce Dickerson" says that line.

Never tuned into Chappelle's show(though I got a kick out of him in "Half Baked") but I'm definetley am, or was, a SNL fan. Last three or four years have been unwatchable.

I still remember back in 1974 seeing the bogus SNL commercial for denture cream when the old guys teeth fall out of his mouth and they bounce a few times on the table. Had to hold my hand over my own mouth not to wake my parents I was laughing so hard!

Drew

What's New

5/10/2024
Our Welcome forum has a place for you to introduce yourself. Say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back