• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Motivation, or Lack Thereof

TSlice5Life

It seems to me that my projects seem to get derailed more often than not. This time last year I was trecking along at a decent pace with 3 stories in the works, and now they're all on a shelf collecting dust (figuratively).

I know that it depends on the person, but are there any suggestions you more experienced writers have at getting yourself motivated to continue on with your works? I may not be the penman that Elfewja or Sablesword are (to name a few who motivated me into doing more serious forms of writing than I used to) but I do think that my stories are decent; or... at least the ideas are. :rolleyes

Of course, I could just be rambling on, and should have spent this time putting thoughts to paper instead of putting up a post about it. :hammer: :whistling:

My biggest problem is with plotting, especially of the climax and ending. That often drags down my ability to write in general, as my backbrain refuses to cooperate in producing words when it senses something wrong, or just incomplete, about the plot. Lately, this problem has been especially bad since I've been having an especially hard time plotting, as well.

One thing that helps somewhat, at least in my case, is to do what I call "noodling." I take the last bit of the story I'm having trouble with (or the vague idea for a scene that I'm trying to write toward, in a longer story). Then I write down possible ideas about the plot, characters, and setting. I often preface each idea with "Maybe" to remind myself that I don't have to use the idea. This helps with coming up with more and wilder ideas. Then, hopefully, when enough ideas gather, and start connecting to each other, I will find myself with a really nifty story, or at least a big chunk of one, and I'll be motivated to write it out.

For example:

Jane and Elizabeth in the stocks, being tickled to make them confess to being witches.
- Maybe they're really succubi, and they need to make the interrogator believe them when they confess to "only" being witches.
- Maybe the interrogator is Hugo, who wants vengeance against Jane for turning him into a werewolf.
- Maybe being made to confess to being witches is a test the two women need to pass in order to become witches
- Maybe the two women desperately crave being tickled, and the torment consists of holding back on the tickles.
- Maybe Jane hates being tickled but Elizabeth craves it (or maybe vice versa) and this is being played on to make them both confess
- Maybe the story ends when the two women confess to being witches - and then turn the interrogators into toads. Or newts.
- Maybe tickle-torments boosts their magical powers, maybe because they are succubi? or maybe just one of them is a succubus? and this allows the ending given just above.

... and so on and so forth until a story emerges that you are really motivated to write.

EDIT: I also wanted to say that if a noodle-idea is one that would require changing the part of the story that you've already written, then go ahead and put the idea down. You don't have to use the idea, and if you do use it, then there is nothing wrong with rewriting the already-written part of a partly-written story. (Or in rewriting a completely finished "first draft", for that matter.)

Last edited:
Apologies for taking so long to respond here; been very busy with work and non-writing activities. Finally got some time to start up again. Very good points Sablesword; I actually find myself doing that a lot when I write. It's refreshing knowing I'm not the only one who thinks of multiple possibilities to a given scenario. :thumbsup

I know how it is about delayed replies. I find that if I don't reply at once, then a long delay is (unfortunately) the normal result.

One advantage of putting down multiple possibilities is that it breaks the block of "I don't dare put down anything because it might be the wrong thing!" Another is that it helps generate new ideas when none of the current ideas are much good.

What's New

5/9/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back