• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

NFL Week 1

CommBoy

TMF Expert
Week 1 is winding down and there have been a few surprises and a few stumbles.

How did your team do this week? See any players that really shined? Were you dissappointed by anyone?

I'm a die-hard Seahawks fan and through 3/4 of the game we are looking like winners and I am very surprised and excited. Our defense looked stout, but it was aided by the horrible game that Alex Smith and his receivers played. My hopes are not up yet but in the NFC West anything can happen so 1-0 is just that much closer to the playoffs.

What do you all have to say about week 1?

I was surprised by Seattle's victory. I've been hearing a lot of TV-personalities pumping-up the 49ers the last few weeks and I expected more out of them. I guess it goes to show you that Alex Smith is still not going to get it done and Seattle may do well under Pete Carroll in his first season. The division is still weak, but maybe Seattle goes 8-8, 9-7 at best.

And this may finally be the year that Houston takes that step that we've all been waiting for. They looked good beating Indy and I expect it to continue throughout the season. Arian Foster is just another weapon (who won't fumble) for that team. Indy is still the best team in that division and will likely win 12+ games again for the 8th-consecutive season.

As for my team, that games is still in progress. They've just scored their first TD and hopefully are gearing up for more.

I knew the Panthers would suck, but did they ever...

Well, Jimmy Clausen looks like he'll be starting very soon. Matt Moore is falling apart.

Oh and also....who else thinks that the Detroit Lions got completely hosed today?

There is some good news to speak of though:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575479961782758620.html

In a first-of-its-kind study performed this summer, Nielsen Co., the media-research firm, developed a system for ranking the popularity of NFL teams based on each team's local and national TV rankings, how often they're mentioned on the Internet and how many visitors they attract to their official websites. The report, dubbed the Nielsen Sports Media Exposure Index, is the company's first attempt to classify pro-football teams in this manner.

Not surprisingly, the survey confirms that America's team is, in fact, "America's Team," as in the Dallas Cowboys. In the final ranking, they were a stunning 23% more popular than the No. 2 team, their old rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Giants were next, followed by three of the four teams in the NFC's North division: the Chicago Bears, the Green Bay Packers and the Vikings.

The Cowboys are on top in part because they're popular to begin with. Nielsen counted the total number of viewers of a team's national broadcasts from last season, rather than the average. So in most cases the more a team was picked to play in front of a national audience, the better it did. The Cowboys, who led the league last year with six national appearances, had a whopping 117 million viewers.

Bill Wanger, the executive vice president of programming and research at Fox Sports Media Group, says the Cowboys are among a handful of "national-appeal teams" that draw huge TV ratings no matter what market they're broadcast in. The Cowboys also were helped in the study by the massive amount of traffic their website draws—nearly 50% more monthly unique visitors than the second-place Steelers.

The Nielsen report uses one year of data, but separate research from the past two decades has shown similar results. Harris Interactive, a New York market-research firm, has been asking respondents to name their favorite NFL team annually since 1992. The Cowboys came out No. 1 on 11 occasions in that poll and were never lower than No. 4.

There is some good news to speak of though:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575479961782758620.html

In a first-of-its-kind study performed this summer, Nielsen Co., the media-research firm, developed a system for ranking the popularity of NFL teams based on each team's local and national TV rankings, how often they're mentioned on the Internet and how many visitors they attract to their official websites. The report, dubbed the Nielsen Sports Media Exposure Index, is the company's first attempt to classify pro-football teams in this manner.

Not surprisingly, the survey confirms that America's team is, in fact, "America's Team," as in the Dallas Cowboys. In the final ranking, they were a stunning 23% more popular than the No. 2 team, their old rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Giants were next, followed by three of the four teams in the NFC's North division: the Chicago Bears, the Green Bay Packers and the Vikings.

The Cowboys are on top in part because they're popular to begin with. Nielsen counted the total number of viewers of a team's national broadcasts from last season, rather than the average. So in most cases the more a team was picked to play in front of a national audience, the better it did. The Cowboys, who led the league last year with six national appearances, had a whopping 117 million viewers.

Bill Wanger, the executive vice president of programming and research at Fox Sports Media Group, says the Cowboys are among a handful of "national-appeal teams" that draw huge TV ratings no matter what market they're broadcast in. The Cowboys also were helped in the study by the massive amount of traffic their website draws—nearly 50% more monthly unique visitors than the second-place Steelers.

The Nielsen report uses one year of data, but separate research from the past two decades has shown similar results. Harris Interactive, a New York market-research firm, has been asking respondents to name their favorite NFL team annually since 1992. The Cowboys came out No. 1 on 11 occasions in that poll and were never lower than No. 4.

Funny, all that popularity and still they lose to the Redskins and are 0-1.

And the Steelers are 1-0 with a back-up QB.

Too bad Nielsen ratings do not add into the final score on the scoreboard.

But as long as your happy with that good news, so are we.

Rob

I'm not satisfied with the on-field result, I'm just not overreacting to one game. There's not point in getting too high-or-low when there are many rounds to be fought.

My concern with this team is injuries to the offensive line. Two starting lineman returning next week should cut-down on penalties.

Either way, Dallas is still the most popular team in the NFL by miles, effectively making them the most popular team of any sport in America.

WHO GIVES A DAMN ABOUT THE COWGIRLS! WE SHOULD BE CELEBRATING HOW AWESOME OF A VICTORY THE JAGUARS HAD!!!! Though I am still skeptical of this year. But if they can keep putting points up like this...we might actually have a shot at the playoffs.

Anyone see the Lions v Bears, and they called that one in the NFL Front Office and not on the field...Chicago 19 Lions 14... Fudge Packers 27 Dog Killers 20... Glad to see Indy lose, hope Tony Dungy didn't curse too much. Houston Oilers, Dallas Texans, whatever the fuck 34 Clots/Chokes 24.

- The Raiders ahave started the same way that they always do, with dark horse aspirations that fall with a thud when they get pounded by a decent team.

- I know the Texans played a Colts team that wasn't playing up to standard, but there's just something about them... I think this really is the year that they get into the playoffs.

- Could there be a QB controversy in philly? If Kevin Kolb struggles again as the starter, there could be. And while the Eagles' defense did a decent job, I wonder about that explosive Green Bay offense. Then again, lots of offenses did struggle to start the year.

- What the hell happened to San Francisco?? The Seahawks aren't that good... are they?

- The Cowboys are better than the way they played last night. But hasn't that been their problem for the last few years?

- I don't give a crap how many analysts tote the NFL party line; as far as I'm concerned, Calvin Johnson scored a touchdown and won the game.

Atlanta @ Pittsburgh -- Leaving aside that I'm a Steelers fan, if you love good, solid defensive games, this one was it. It wasn't just 3 and outs on both sides of the ball. Roddy White had double digit receptions for well over 100 yards. Dennis Dixon looked pretty damn good for a 3rd string QB getting only his 2nd start. Both teams offenses put up one helluva fight, but the defenses on both sides were just dominant. That game simply came down to which defense would make the first big mistake. And it was Atlanta in OT by letting Mendenhal get loose.

Needless to say, I am very pleased with how the 'burgh looked yesterday. But everyone can keep writing them off as a lost cause. They play better when they're looked at as underdogs.

Oh, and for that Nielson bullshit....Dallas was most watched because THEY WERE THE ONLY GAME ON LAST NIGHT. It was nationally televised as the Sunday night game, whereas the early and late games were regional. But nice try, Fiend. At least you're consistent with you lip flapping about the losing Cowboys. :D

Oh, and for that Nielson bullshit....Dallas was most watched because THEY WERE THE ONLY GAME ON LAST NIGHT. It was nationally televised as the Sunday night game, whereas the early and late games were regional. But nice try, Fiend. At least you're consistent with you lip flapping about the losing Cowboys. :D

It wasn't about last nights game. This study came out a week-or-two ago. It was about local and national ratings and official website views. Dallas led by a wide margin. Reading the story will tell you that Dallas is still the most popular team in America without winning anything in over a decade.

They had a chart that had each teams popularity rating. Dallas was the only team to score a perfect one hundred. The closest team was a mile away, the Steelers with a rating of eighty-one.

Dallas played perfectly last night... Austin is on my fantasy team and I hate the Boys so great stats for him and a loss for Dallas and I'm happy!

I too feel like Detroit got screwed by a stupid rule, not by a bad call.

So far the Jets D is looking like its supposed to, and LT looks 29 again, so this should be a good game.

So is Baltimore's D really that good, or do the Jets need to focus more than 1% of their efforts on gameplanning the offense?

It seemed like Rex Ryan was fine with a bad O as long as the D was good.

If they eliminate those penalties they are not going to give up 20 points to a team all year.

Nope, not even to the Pats...

I have been a Jets fan since 1971. Even through all of our horrible years, I have never seen an offense so inept. Their offense is very offensive. They are in all likelihood not going to score 20 points in any game all year either. :(

I have been a Jets fan since 1971. Even through all of our horrible years, I have never seen an offense so inept. Their offense is very offensive. They are in all likelihood not going to score 20 points in any game all year either. :(

At least thay have weapons... At least it seems like they do. I think they will be at least average on offense soon and that will be plenty.

The Chiefs just won a really ugly game against San Diego. The two spectacular TD (a return and a rushing TD) were the difference in the game.

At least thay have weapons... At least it seems like they do. I think they will be at least average on offense soon and that will be plenty.

If you mean committing stupid defensive penalties to continue drives, a bumbling indecisive QB, WR's that got little to no seperation on a banged up secondary, and a 2nd year RB that was completely unmotivated and lost out there weapons then yeah the Jets look loaded.

Lets be realistic here, the Jets hype is a media fabrication fueled by a blowhard named Rex Ryan. Their vaunted offseason additions were aging vets and players that wore out their welcomes with their previous team. Sanchez hasn't shown any growth, Greene doesn't look ready to be the guy, cutting Thomas Jones was a huge mistake, and this team isn't that good.

What's New

5/10/2024
Our Welcome forum has a place for you to introduce yourself. Say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back