• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

One Hit Wonders.

Bugman

Verified
Since music threads seem to be the order of the day, let's have some fun with this. These are bands or solo artists of any era who had a brief moment in the spotlight, then faded into obscurity.

Formed in 1969, Looking Glass charted Number #1 the week of August 26 1972 with Brandi(You're a Fine Girl) then faded away, disbanding in 1974.

The Irish Rovers had only this one hit:

LMFAO! The Irish Rovers! Ha! Right after Sgt. Barry Sandler, no less, lol! Milagros, that made me laugh out loud, caught me off guard, yeah, "The Unicorn", I remember that.....

Technically, Sugarloaf is not a One Hit Wonder. They charted Top Ten twice, with Green Eyed Lady at #3 in October 1970 and Don't Call Us at #9 April 1975. But they were not able to build on that success after Don't. The band toured until 1978, out of the limelight, before calling it quits.

Technically, Sugarloaf is not a One Hit Wonder. They charted Top Ten twice, with Green Eyed Lady at #3 in October 1970 and Don't Call Us at #9 April 1975. But they were not able to build on that success after Don't. The band toured until 1978, out of the limelight, before calling it quits.

Doesn't count! lol! One hit wonder, not two hits! lol You violated your own thread, and on the first page! lol

(Just kidding, they're only remembered for the one hit, I certainly consider them a one-hit wonder, Bugman!)

The 80s was definitely a time of one-hit wonders......

A Flock Of Seagulls: I Ran

Romeo Void: Never Say Never

....so was the 50s.....

The Monotones: Book Of Love

The Silhouettes: Get A Job

Doesn't count! lol! One hit wonder, not two hits! lol You violated your own thread, and on the first page! lol

(Just kidding, they're only remembered for the one hit, I certainly consider them a one-hit wonder, Bugman!)

Yeah, so what are you gonna do about it pilgrim? :p

Meant to mention I caught Sugarloaf live near the end of their run in '78. At a ramshackle bar/concert venue, Waterhole #7 in a KC suburb. That's what they had been reduced to. I always thought Sugarloaf was a decent band. The stars just never quite lined up for them.

Yeah, so what are you gonna do about it pilgrim? :p

Meant to mention I caught Sugarloaf live near the end of their run in '78. At a ramshackle bar/concert venue, Waterhole #7 in a KC suburb. That's what they had been reduced to. I always thought Sugarloaf was a decent band. The stars just never quite lined up for them.

Never knew that! So you're saying.....give the album a try? I think I actually have a Sugarloaf album that I've just never played!

(i'm digging that song, Vanillaphant, hadn't heard that one)

Interesting how the album cover seems to imply that they had not one hit, but an absolute shitload! Which the record company somehow managed to whittle down to a modest 36. lol

Well, the music business has never been shy about using hyperbole when pushing their product. And the Rovers are Irishmen, some living in Canada. And they tour around the world. So it's possible they have had multiple hits in other countries and just one in the states. That's not uncommon in the music business.

Is it mandatory that the song in question must have charted at number one?

My thought would be one of my favorite songs, even though it wasn't number one.

Dancing In the Moonlight. By King Harvest, from 1973.

That song was their only real "hit"

Is it mandatory that the song in question must have charted at number one?

My thought would be one of my favorite songs, even though it wasn't number one.

Dancing In the Moonlight. By King Harvest, from 1973.

That song was their only real "hit"

That song counts, Mitchell! No, it doesn't have to a number one! Lots of hits don't make number one. Usually the term applies even if it might not have charted at the time, but is still known. The 80s songs above fall into the category. They were MTV "hits" but I'm not sure how they charted.

Okay. Thanks.

Another song that comes to mind.

Boy From New York City by Manhattan Transfer.

I first heard that song at a Mets-Dodgers game at Shea Stadium in May of 1985, with Dwight Gooden pitching for the Mets.

Never knew that! So you're saying.....give the album a try? I think I actually have a Sugarloaf album that I've just never played!

(i'm digging that song, Vanillaphant, hadn't heard that one)

Sure, give it a spin. Nothing to lose except a little time right? And you just might like it. Not saying they were The Byrds or Small Faces, but I liked their music.

That song counts, Mitchell! No, it doesn't have to a number one! Lots of hits don't make number one. Usually the term applies even if it might not have charted at the time, but is still known. The 80s songs above fall into the category. They were MTV "hits" but I'm not sure how they charted.

Yeah, this. No problem with that song Mitch. I recall hearing it back in the day. 'Net help me out here. Was it Van Morrison who had a hit with that song later?

Yeah, this. No problem with that song Mitch. I recall hearing it back in the day. 'Net help me out here. Was it Van Morrison who had a hit with that song later?

Nope, everyone thinks that's a Van song, but it's the original they're thinking of, it just sounds like it's Van! Van never covered it!

Okay. Thanks.

Another song that comes to mind.

Boy From New York City by Manhattan Transfer.

Manhattan Transfer was actually not a one-hit wonder, and their hit of "The Boy From New York City" was a cover version. The original, however, IS a one-hit wonder by The Ad Libs. Fantastic record, and great drumming on it, too! The tom-toms are all tuned high! I love Kitty, the singer, a naive voice that goes just a bit flat when she's "oooo"ing, so cool, you can't recreate that.....that's rock and roll!

The Ad Libs: The Boy From New York City

....and dig the record label!

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for that information, was not aware of it.

The 80s was definitely a time of one-hit wonders......

A Flock Of Seagulls: I Ran

One hit wonder over here in America for radio hits (for MTV there was also "Space Age Love Song")....but in the UK and elsewhere had others up to the mid - late 80s.

One hit wonder over here in America for radio hits (for MTV there was also "Space Age Love Song")....but in the UK and elsewhere had others up to the mid - late 80s.

Touche. Forgot about "Space Age Love Song" (which wasn't anywhere near as popular as "I Ran"). And I didn't take into account the UK charts. They didn't have another club hit in the US, that much I'm pretty sure of.

To be fair....MTV themselves describe A Flock Of Seagulls as one-hit wonders:

http://www.mtv.com/artists/a-flock-of-seagulls/

Nope, everyone thinks that's a Van song, but it's the original they're thinking of, it just sounds like it's Van! Van never covered it!

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. And you're right, sounds exactly like Van. Weirdness.

To be fair....MTV themselves describe A Flock Of Seagulls as one-hit wonders:

http://www.mtv.com/artists/a-flock-of-seagulls/

Well, MTV isn't and hasn't been MTV in almost 30 years.....the people that run MTV now probably call Falco a 1 hit wonder (like others do), when in fact he had 3 hits here in the US and a gazillion in every other country. Another that is always falsely quoted by folks as a 1 hit wonder are Devo...and anyone over the age of 30 knows they're legends.

But speaking of Falco, these guys here who covered his 1st hit WERE sadly 1 hit wonders in the US....I have the LP of this one on vinyl from back when and it's a solid album I still listen to to this day. The great and underrated After The Fire :

Well, MTV isn't and hasn't been MTV in almost 30 years.....the people that run MTV now probably call Falco a 1 hit wonder (like others do), when in fact he had 3 hits here in the US and a gazillion in every other country.

Ok, I rescind "I Ran"!.....Nevermind the Flock Of Seagulls.....Here's The Normal!

The Normal: Warm Leatherette

Last edited:
What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back