• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Online currency. Bitcoins

GQguy

3rd Level Red Feather
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Um63OQz3bjo?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Um63OQz3bjo?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

What are your thoughts on this kind of currency? It's viability? The future of it? Any experience with it?

GQ

I like the idea of bitcoins. However, p2p sharing of currency, particularly considering some of the people using said currency (those on the Tor network) I have my concerns.

Explain further. My fluency in geek is limited at best. Still trying to improve it though! What is Tor network?

GQ

Going from one shaky faith-based currency system .. to an earthquake of a faith-based currency system, hell no.

This could not work and I see a lot of flaws in it. Firstly, it is all digital and there is nothing physical backing it. It is even more worthless then paper currency. Also, being that it is digital...it would give hackers an avenue to pretty much be digital bank robbers.

A currency needs to be physical and worth something (or at least backed by something of value). Gold and Silver are the top two precious metals that are used of value. Anything else that isn't backed by a precious metal loses its value. Paper currency by itself doesn't work, and neither would this.

Tor network is a sort of "hidden" (mostly) illegal black market. There's people there selling lots of dodgy things, and of course buying a lot of dodgy things, be they weapons, drugs, goods and services, viruses, you name it. And bitcoins are used as the currency for these goods and services, as they can be hard to track and don't leave a paper trail. It's a useful currency no doubt, but I wouldn't like Joe Layman to be on the same market as some of those guys, particularly the more tech savvy ones.

With all due respect, TOR is a privacy-reinforcing system. It foils certain data-mining routines used by many web sites to build virtual dossiers on visitors. The fact that some people misuse TOR is beside the point.

As for Bitcoins, Paypal has had a monopoly for long enough.

And yes, money that fits into a wallet must not be phased out.

Bitcoin is a bad idea, but digital currency is not. MOST American money (90%?) exists only digitally, so to think that the money being digital is somehow scary ignores the current monetary policy in the world. Let's not forget that the first currencies were also awful ideas. I don't think bitcoin is perfect, great, or even good, but it is one of the first of its kind and should be expected to have problems and resistance. I think moving currency away from government simply means that someone ELSE has tremendous power over economies and such. And to be honest, I rather have elected body that has even some oversight on an institution such as the US Fed than the kind of organizations that would manage things like Bitcoin.

This could not work and I see a lot of flaws in it. Firstly, it is all digital and there is nothing physical backing it. It is even more worthless then paper currency. Also, being that it is digital...it would give hackers an avenue to pretty much be digital bank robbers.

A currency needs to be physical and worth something (or at least backed by something of value). Gold and Silver are the top two precious metals that are used of value. Anything else that isn't backed by a precious metal loses its value. Paper currency by itself doesn't work, and neither would this.

I will have to disagree with you my friend. Bitcoin, is basically a digital central bank controlled by its market participants. The claim that it has no physical backing, is false. What is backing it - is fiat currency, and fiat still does(unfortunately), carry demand. So, that demand still creates market value, and a market pricing mechanism(consuming, producing, and taxes). Bitcoins, is now officially the Federal Reserve Banks competitor, in the legal-tender market(next to gold and silver(savings)). This will now throw another incalculable variable at the monetary policy-makers!

What Bitcoins does is allow voluntary actors(consumers and producers); to now create a free-market price mechanism, that is free from government restraints(i.e. regulations, wage controls, price controls, etc...). Generally(as I understand it), the system uses complex econometric algorithms that calculates(in/de-flation) according to the number of participants and invested capital(fiat money). So, if you want to picture its balance sheet: the producers are assets(they have goods/services ready to be sold), consumers are the liability(they can sell off their Bitcoins for fiat), and the capital/equity is the fiat currency holdings(100% reserve). Basically, it is not a fractional-reserve bank, so that means no boom and bust cycles(or, insolvency)!

The one big problem(or, unknown), is future government imperialism, or in this case - hackers!

It is also the greatest tool for tax evasion. How does the U.S. Government collect taxes? Through the consumption of U.S. Federal Reserve Notes, right? If all revenue and savings is stored in the Bitcoin market(just like gold/silver), how will the government collect its income? Without taxation, savings will skyrocket(in Bitcoins), and entrepreneurs(producers), can now have the tool they have been longing for - economic calculation!

Another thing to think about...

In the event that hyperinflation hits the U.S.(and, Bitcoin is not over runned by the government), the invested capital could be easily switched over to a hard digital currency(i.e. gold/silver standard), to protect its own free-market pricing mechanism.

I am pretty sure I sounded like a salesman. :p But, I am a free-market anarchist, and I am pretty sure this software was created by free-market anarchists. Also, there maybe soon to be other competitors in this market as people around the globe seeks alternatives to their monopolistic central banks.

Sorry GQ, didn't mean to change this to a PR topic, but that is what Bitcoin is. It's anarchists taking away power from the State!

I remember when you went into Toys R Us you could convert your money into Jeffrey Money.

What's New

5/20/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello to us all!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back