• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Opinion time! (again) :)

..Glamorous..

Verified
Okayyy, this weeks opinion for my Interpersonal communications class is..

Explain the ways in which verbal symbols may be used positively, negatively, and ambiguously

For those of you that have no idea what verbal symbols are, they are the words or the vocabulary that make up a language.

I think that the actual words used are only part of the puzzle. The tone of voice and the inflection of the language used are also part of it. That constitutes something like sarcasm.

If you look at the English language, you'll notice that there are patterns in how words are structured. For example, the letter 'N' is commonly found in negative words;

Never
No
Not
Anger
Negative
Envy

The same is true with letters like 'V'. Conversely, the opposite is true (letters sounding positive) about letters like 'M' and 'J'.

Whenever I write, I tend to use initials consisting of 'D', 'V' and 'N' for the name of the antagonist. It works. Look at Darth Vader. :D

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but that's what I got. :)

Snail Shell

Better than nothing LOL!

Actually it doesn't even have to be right, lol. Just what you think it means.

To me it means making a mental image using words to get a point across.

Fat as a hog
Pretty as a picture
Sweet as mollassas
"He was six foot seven and they called him "The Roaring Giant"
The boxer went down like the Titanic

Positive - A song used in a commercial to encourage the viewer that buying the product advertised would make them feel good/happy/positive/blah.

Negative - Description/explanation/example of a product's competitor.

Ambiguous - Both positive and negative opinions are ambiguous. :)

Okayyy, this weeks opinion for my Interpersonal communications class is..

Explain the ways in which verbal symbols may be used positively, negatively, and ambiguously

For those of you that have no idea what verbal symbols are, they are the words or the vocabulary that make up a language.

Positively: When words (proper and coloquial) are used to compliment someone or something
When words are used to congratulate someone

Negatively: When words are used to insult or degrade someone or something
When words are used to spread variations of disinformation

Ambiguously: This can be things like sarcasm or humor, which is more in the usage and/or inflection.

Also, concepts like positive, negative and ambiguous are always in flux in that they are very cultural and time dependent. Something that was an insult 20 years ago (negative) could be a compliment today (positive). When ever one tries to attach a qualifier to something like a word, which is inherently neutral, the qualifier must exist in a state of instability.

If something bad happens I like to yell "Fuck!"

If something good happens, my eyes brighten up, a big, friendly grin spreads across my face and I say "Fuck!"

If I feel very tired or "ambiguous," I like to say "Fuuuuck!"

That's the extent of my verbal symbolism.:yayzorz:

I'm trailer trash. It dosen't get too much more complicated for people like me.

What's New

6/6/2024
Visit Tickle Experiment for a wide range of clips! Info in the TE box below.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back