• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

OT - Ever hear a computer scream?

kopfhorer

2nd Level Red Feather
You know how it is when someone gets you in the ribs in just the wrong place, right?

Well, my computer is doing a similar thing even though the only place I've poked it is in the power-on button (is that the cybernetic equivalent of the navel?). It makes a continuous beeping noise immediately after I start it up. It boots normally, but the only way to get the beeping noise to bug off entirely is to run the machine with its case open, as I do for troubleshooting.

Trouble is, this time I don't know where to shoot.

Not only that but the CPU heat sink (one of the heavy-duty kind favored by overclockers at the time I built the machine) feels hot even though the machine has only run through its boot cycle.

Originally the problem surfaced while I was using the machine. Took off the case door. Problem temporarily solved, as I've mentioned.

Further perplexing is the fact that Windows boots up and runs just fine, the alarming alarm notwithstanding, though I know better than to just go on working like nothing's wrong.

My intuition says the heat sink fan may be faulty. One online forum says it may be a loose heat sink or dried out heat sink paste. The manual says that "continuous short beeps", which I don't think these are but have no way of knowing (I mean, define "short") indicate a bad power supply. Continuous long beeps mean a RAM error. But the beeping becomes intermittent or stops when I open the case. That would appear to bear out my original theory. I think it's time to buy a new CPU cooling fan but I'm not entirely certain.

Has anyone here with more computer-building and repair experience than me had anything like this occur and if so what solved the problem?

What's New

6/6/2024
Visit Tickle Experiment for a wide range of clips! Info in the TE box below.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back