• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Other types of music we enjoy

TicklingDuo

3rd Level Yellow Feather
I thought of putting this in the "rock is dead" thread. I chose not to because I didn't want to take away from those who wanted to discuss rock on it's own. But, I was kind of interested in what other music folks were into.

Personally, I'm what you'd call eclectic when it comes to music. I like a bit of most everything. I'm no authority and can't remember names and stuff to save my life. But, I know when I hear something that I like...or don't like. So, here's my own take on things....

My favs are the oldies. I like the old 50s and 60s groups. The musical flavor was varied a bit from group to group, though always fun and the lyrics pleasant.

The same goes for the old Swing Era material. I particularly like the late 30s and early 40s stuff from Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, and company.

Jazz and blues are good for me. I like some of the rhythms and moods that they convey. I'm not too much into some of the newer "freestyle" jazz. It sounds a bit confused to me. I always get the impression that the person is just learning the instrument and playing around. It doesn't seem to go anywhere.

I enjoy what I consider to be good rock (the classics, like the Allman Bros, who we saw last night). I like much of what's currently refered to as soft rock. I hate a lot of what is currently passing as rock (which TO ME sounds like a bunch of trained mokeys screaming and banging on instruments).

I have no problem with much of the early rap I used to hear. I kinda like the free style and spontaneity of it. I just don't like the message of most of the current stuff. It seems to have been turned into a platform for hatred and violence.

Much of the hip-hop I've heard reminds me of rap with a different style as far as the messages. Some is okay. But, overall, I don't care for it.

Country I can take or leave. I used to listen to Kenny Rogers, Eddie Rabbitt and the Oak Ridge Boys a lot. I like the musical quality of much of it, but often don't care for the lyrics...which can sometimes sound to me like a sung soap opera (and I HATE soaps!).

I like some of the old disco stuff. It has kind of a fun feel to it and a rhythm I can get into.

Though I don't listen to either much, I kind of like the rythms of a lot of the latin and reggae stuff.

I enjoy classical music (Beethoven, Handel, etc.). But, I need to be in the mood for it. The same goes for opera and new age.

If I hear polka or some similar style music, I may listen. But, it's not one of my favorites. (I actually had a lot of Bobby Vinton stuff when I was in HS.)

I also like a lot of the Native American music I've heard. It has an earthy but also heady feel to it that tends to capture me. The same is true for much of the more traditional East Indian and Arabic music I've heard.

I'm sure I left some out. But, at least it's a start. So, what about everyone else. What do you like/dislike?

Ann

Techno...

Don't forget Electronica! Us technoheads are not very common (particularly on this side of the pond) but I will say I'm devoted to techno music of all stripes.

I guess I didn't mention it because I haven't heard any. What can you relate it to AFA style? Or, is it something TOTALLY it's own?

Ann

Not a Big Country Fan..

But listen to Kenny Chesneys "The Good Stuff" and see if he's hit what's important in life right on the head.

Tron

best line about music...

bruce willis in the last boy scout (paraphrasing) "wanna hear me scream in pain? play rap music!"
now thats me in a nut shell.
steve

Electronica...

Is really totally unique...think like clubbing music and whatnot, but synthed out even more...it's really fast, mostly, and upbeat and just plain good. :) Try DJ Anabolic Frolic, DJ Mystic, Music Instructor, Paul Oakenfold, DJ Sammy, and so forth.

I'll take this opportunity to show just how odd I can be: 40's and 50's classical parody-meister Spike Jones, 'Weird Al' Yankovic, Genesis, Van Halen and other such '80's' groups, classical music, some old school rap, Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, some of the more modern country (Collin Raye, Garth), and some techno-pop like Moby. So, I'm a musical freak, with a little something everyone can like and hate. LOL.

Smiley,
who is rarely bored on the radio this way

Oh god spare us!!!.....

So Neutron is an expert on music as well is he? what instrument do you play? ...dont tell me ....you play a stereo system right?

Wonders,,,,

Exactly when one has to be a musician in order to enjoy good music? Hmmmm

I play a guitar. Not well, but I don't have time to play everyday. Maybe once a month. Can't sing worth a shit either. My singing voice is the type that causes tempers to explode.

Seems like we have a Brit with a major inferiority complex here :)

Tickling Duo. Did you listen to that Kenny Chesney song yet?

Tron

I'm glad you started this other thread Ann. Thanks!

Like I mentioned before, I'm currently "into" Jazz. I'm getting my education so I can't really comment on the best/worst etc. I'm surrounded by it in my area as well. Seems live Jazz is easy to find lately which intrigues me! I have to say I prefer non-vocal music to anything with lyrics. If I had the option to choose the same song with or without a singer...I'd tell the vocalist to hit the road.

I began playing flute at the age of 4 and that means almost 26 years (wow, has it been that long?) on an instrument the strictly prohibits the use of your voice! Perhaps that's why I feel how I do about singers. It also plays a big role in why I listened to "classical" music mroe often than anything else as a kid and in college. It was what I was playing, so it's what I listened to. *shrug*

I do have a weakness for GOOD Blues music. That dirty, sweaty, clothes-half-off, make out in the tall grass in the summer kinda stuff.....*sigh*.....:p I saw Denise LaSalle and Clarence Carter together one time. LOL THAT was not a family show! :wow: Anyway, I'm rambling so I'll close thisnow. :)

Jo
OH....The Good Stuff - good song.

Re: Wonders,,,,

Neutron said:
Tickling Duo. Did you listen to that Kenny Chesney song yet?

Tron

Haven't sat still long enough to do so yet, Tron. But, rest assured, I will. ;)

Ann

JoBelle said:
Like I mentioned before, I'm currently "into" Jazz. I'm getting my education so I can't really comment on the best/worst etc. I'm surrounded by it in my area as well. Seems live Jazz is easy to find lately which intrigues me!
Jo
OH....The Good Stuff - good song.

We have a lot of live jazz around here. Every Monday night during July and August, there are free outdoor concerts in the park below the capitol building. Also, there's a free weekend long jazz festival in July which brings in some good performers. It's a nice time. People bring thier chairs, blankets, dinner, drinks, etc. and just hang out and enjoy. One of the best things is that it's a family environment. Though some do overindulge, most of the crowd stays strait and sober and lets the MUSIC get them high. There are also a few paid concerts and festivals nearby that are good. It seems that jazz is making a comeback...like oldies and swing. MY kind of music!!!

Ann

Yes...

The Good Stuff is a good song. Very thought provoking. The video is great too.

About Rap. I can't stand it, ALTHOUGH I do like some of the artists. Puff daddy has always been a favorite (and you can blame the Boy Bands in Puffy, he pretty much owns them all). I also like listening to Dr Dre when he gets interviewed. Listen to him describe what would happen if he spoke to his wife in the same words he uses in his songs. It's hilarious.

A cannot stand Eminem. Mostly because i knew him when he bussed tables at a local cafe', before he hit it big. What he tells you about his background is a total fabrication. He was a waiter and short order cook. Had about an average childhood and never even came close to any areas where a gangbanger could have screwed up him for wanting to get into rap music.

Kid Rock on the other hand is an excellent guy. Grew up drinking Bud and he'll die drinking bud. I see him around some of the local clubs and strip joints. He's always pleasant and treats his fans like they're old friends. MORE importantly he treats his old friends and his family with respect. Success hasn't gone to his head and he has an excellent sense of humor and self. . (And yes I've actually met Pam, a couple times. she's sweet as hell and was very gracious.)
Plus I LOVE his music.

Tron

Wonders right back at you......

Surely this can not be the same Neutron who dismisses other peoples posts on various subjects by telling them to LEARN their subject before they dain to contradict you? now you tell us you dont know much about music but dont see why this should stop you from giving us the benifitt of your wisdom.

Seems we have a Yank with an hipocracy problem:)

Tossing HERSELF in the Midst of the FLAMES.. Heeheee

I love music... Live and breath it. Its my life. I'm a fanatic... Seriously. In college, I had no tv in my dormroom, but I had my stereo, my microphone (a real one and this huge long Marines cup that served as my fake one) and my music and I would lock the doors... put a do not disturb sign up whenever I was jamming and singing.

I do sing by the way. :) And not too badly. I sung on television once and I have been on the radio (sung the national anthem for my college when I was playing ball there).... for a season or so. HEEHEE. I didn't realize how cool it was until we were playing the bigger schools and the stations started announcing me. I think God for my talent and I love it.... I love to sing.

Ok music.... I love just about everything....WOW... NO but really. My collection is insane. I have musicals, classical, country, alternative, gospel, contemporary Christian, rap, R & B, jazz, dance, tecno, rock (though I don't listen to it as much), Reggae (Oh those are the jams!), Oldies, newies... LOL I am as eclectic as they come. I think only Tero knows more songs than I do, and that's only because he is like 50 years older than I am. Heehee :p

But any time you wanna jame out... You let me know (I won't be too shy next time.... :blush:)... We can put the feathers down and just go at it. Believe it or not... there are a long of musicians in this TK group.

Live, Laugh and TICKLE
Sunriseticklee
:Kiss2:

Forgive my mispellings, comma splices, run on sentences and such... I'm in pain. LOL And on meds. :p

Brian McKnight is my all time favorite singer though.

Re: Tossing HERSELF in the Midst of the FLAMES.. Heeheee

Sunriseticklee said:
I think only Tero knows more songs than I do, and that's only because he is like 50 years older than I am. Heehee :p

Heheheh, Sunrise...naughty thing! Thought Tero IS like 88 years old and I hear his tickling skills are waning. :p

Ya out there Ter???
Jo

RED AND TRON

You two stop bickering! You're acting like an old married couple! I don't think y'all can play nicely in a thread if your lives depended on it!

You pretty much come across as the same guy with different accents!

:p
Jo...pretending to be a mod! hehe

Blimey Neuty Boy!!!!.....

Bit rich from you mate!!!...how do you spell Shakespeare again???

Re: Re: Tossing HERSELF in the Midst of the FLAMES.. Heeheee

JoBelle said:

Heheheh, Sunrise...naughty thing! Thought Tero IS like 88 years old and I hear his tickling skills are waning. :p

Ya out there Ter???
Jo

Even in jest! I'm not about to diss his tickling skills! :p But I hear he uses black shoe polish on his gray hairs. Heehee

Shhh! Don't tell NOBODY!
Sunrise

The only music worth playing is SOUSA MARCHES!

SOUSA MARCHES and nothing but SOUSA MARCHES!

I'm playing one RIGHT NOW!

(Daumantas gets up and marches briskly back and forth across the room)

SOUSA MARCHES!
:D :) :cool: :p :wow:

JoBelle, In the last 3 years, I've also gotten into jazz. It started when I picked up a used Charlie Parker album and played it constantly.
When I met Ann, she told me she was into big band music and I started getting into Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, and especially Louis Prima. Currently I'm listening to a lot of Miles Davis and Roland Kirk. And when I feel like really weird stuff, I put on Sun Ra.
I've been into blues music since 1984, I prefer more of the older fellas(John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James) but I'll give any blues music a spin.

Drew

Duke Ellington is my MAN!!!!!!!!! A couple of years ago a broadway musical came out named "Play On" and it used all of his music.... I have the sound track and I love it.... My favorite song by him is Solitude.... SIGH

Oh... I forgot to add Latin music. I can not forget that!

I love music....

Oh and Prelude to a KISS.... Oh my! I love that song!

Listening... Jamming....Tickling
Sunriseticklee

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You've got it all wrong!

SOUSA MARCHES, I tell ya! SOUSA MARCHES!

What's New

5/20/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello to us all!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back