• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Please help me buy a DVD recorder

No I didnt, HDS. It looked complicated *pouts*
Will try it though and hope I dont screw something up.

Wait now....+r for data and -r for video? I didnt know that. What's the reason for this? I will be recording data and video so I guess I need to lay in a supply of each?

try contacting NewEgg about it Ness, maybe they can help since you bought it from them, and being a return customer will be in your favour.

now I have a question regarding a similar topic....I want to back up my tickling videos and pics to a CD, as I have been downloading many music videos and they are eating up some substantial space on the hard drive. can I put both on one CD as long as they are in different folders, and will it matter if they are a combination of different file extensions (i.e., mpeg,mpg,avi,wmv,mov,jpeg,jpg,bmp,gif)? I'd rather use just one CD if possible.

Last edited:
Indeed, contacting Newegg is a good idea. And your first question Nessles: http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2003/DVDFormatsExplained.asp

If you are making a data CD, it will not care what file types are on it (Note: It is possible that there are some rare, absurdly obscure file types that a burner will not support, but if there are, you will never see one in your lifetime). Data CDs are just that: CDs for data. The type of data is immaterial.

thx HDS. I had a problem in the past with backing up pics and vids to a CD, and that is why I wanted to ask. for some reason it would not read the CD afterwards, and I wound up having to throw the CD away.

Nessles?? That is so cute!!!!

I havent done the firmware update yet (will tonight)
Thanks again :D

NEWS FLASH: check out certain pawnshops. they offer some great deal, went into one today and got a good vcr for $5.00 since mine always break so much.

i was like a kid in a candy shop. so many awesome electronics and kick arse prices.

I'm afraid Nessles needs help again, HDS. You must tire of this....

I finally did the firmware update. Everything seemed to go smoothly. I can now at least PLAY the dvds....but the sound (and sometimes the video) is choppity choppy and the audio.video is out of synch.
Could this be my video memory?
I used to play dvds back when my last computer had a finctioning dvd drive. This was with a 32 meg ATI All In Wonder. Now I've got 64 megs of video but it's shared memory and I'm not sure how that affects things.
I've got way more RAM now though (704 megs) and a much faster processor (only 945 mhz) so....I don't know.
I have a 128 meg video card but I need to beef up my power supply before I can use it. I fried my computer when I tried to install it last (I dont think I was properly grounded) So I'm hoping I didn't fry the video card as well. All's I know is when I install it the computer won't boot. I've got a weenie power supply though.
Sorry...that was off topic.
btw, the Kirkland yogurt from Costco isn't half bad.

How many different player have you tried? Have you tried playing it with Windows Media Player? With the included DVD software? If it is choppy in all of them, THEN you probably need a power boost.

Have you tried playing it with Windows Media Player?

Well duh. Also tried Real player and about half a dozen players from download.com (all ones with good reviews). They all play pretty much identically.
Hubby doesnt thinnk it's my video memory. it's shared but it still should be plenty, right? I mean...I've got 704 megs of ram and 64 shared video. I used to play dvds fine on 512 megs of ram and 32 megs of video.
C'mon....HDS always comes through with the magical fix for everything!

tell me, what's your processor speed and number and size of your hardrives?

by choppy you mean, someone's mouth moves and the words come out a second later?

Yes, normie...but for me the audio precedes the video (you hear a thud and then a second later someone falls out of bed). It's the same problem I had when viewing anime I downloaded before Jay pointed me towards the divX player (which doesnt seem to play dvds).
Here's my system at a glance...
AMD Athalon 945 MHz
704 megs of ram
64 megs of shared on board video memory
120 gig Maxtor hard drive (5400 rpm I think) seperated into 11 partitions of between 5 and 15 gigs

Anything else? Thanks so much for trying to help!

Hmm...perhaps it is trying page a partition that has too little space on it. Or, perhaps that processor is simply overloaded. But, if it is the same issue you had before Divx cured it...then I suspect it is a codec problem. Can you figure out what format the DVD movie is in (Right-click on the DVD drive and select explore)?

Sorry I took so long...
I cant seem to find that info, HDS. Im not sure where to look. :(
I can't imagine it's a hardware issue. My computer isn't that spectacular but it should be able to handle a DVD. Like I said, I played them on my old system and this is much better than that one was.
But I'd think Windows would come capable of playing dvds, right?

damn you stay up late, Ness!

don't know if this will help, but in the WMP 10's settings/tools/options, whatever, doesn't it have a box where you select which type of media it will be the default player for?

Only Media Player 10 with a proper codec can play DVD movies, earlier versions won't. Otherwise, if you have a fast connection you can P2P a copy of DVD playback software such as WinDVD or PowerDVD to play the movies.

I have WMP 10 but Im not sure about the codec bit. Will try the programs your mentioned as I do have p2p and a fast internet, thanks :)
Wow Stormy...I was up at 5:20 am this morning? No wonder Im tired tonight! I know I didnt go to bed for a bit after I wrote that and I got up at 9:30!

nessonite said:
I have WMP 10 but Im not sure about the codec bit. Will try the programs your mentioned as I do have p2p and a fast internet, thanks :)
Wow Stormy...I was up at 5:20 am this morning? No wonder Im tired tonight! I know I didnt go to bed for a bit after I wrote that and I got up at 9:30!

Do you recall that thread about the Defiler Codec software? Well, it worked for me just fine. I downloaded and installed it...no probs after that, other than I would have to download a posted mpeg format vid-clip to view it, as opposed to just clicking on it.

As far as downloading software from p2p's is concerned, I'm very suspicious of that...my concerns being compatibility issues. You just really don't know what you are getting. I prefer to buy my own software. I don't even download mp3's anymore, only music videos.

Last edited:
I have no idea what thread you mean, Stormy :( Where do I get this?

I hope I can ask just one more question without irritating you, stormy :p

I downloaded the InterVideo WinDVD player trial mentioned in the last page. It played a DVD (only tried 1 so far) perfectly. Now it seems Windows Media Player and Real player are playing it perfectly as well. Is this like fonts or something where codecs are downloaded to a central place on the computer so they work with every player?
Man...I can whiz aroud photoshop, show you a million windows shortcuts, and do crazy things with Dreamweaver but I dont know how these damn video players work!
Basically what I need to know is...when the 30 day trial for this new player expires (if I dont get the full version) or if I unionstall it will these codecs disapear and movies will no longer work?
I'm stoked that it wasn't a hardware problem. I'd be pissed if I spent so much $$ on this drive and it didn't even play movies.
Thanks again everyone for all your help! TT is amazing...I could come on here needing to know the mating rituals of the naked mole rat and be able to find SOMEONE who could tell me. :p

EDIT: I also downloaded that codec pack. It just downloaded a bunch of stuff to the place I selected on my hard drive....how does a video player know where to get the stuff?

Last edited:
There are something called codecs that enable video playback compatibility in all popular Windows DVD playback software. The most common place to download codecs, fixes and patches to get Windows apps to work is simply visiting Microsoft Windows Up and using the auto-configure and auto-loader that should work automatically if you are running Windows 2000 or XP. Windows Installer is like smart enough to scan for proper codecs and registry streams and install them to their "proper places" on your computer. All of the relevant DVD playback software suites comes bundled with the proper codecs and patches and installs them as part of the regular their regular setup routine anyway. Microsoft has engineered Windows to really self-heal and self-update with minimal effort from the end user in order for them to avoid contacting someone like me for $50 hour to solve their computer problems over the phone or in person. It is one of the main reasons why I have been out of work so often in recent years.

nessonite said:
I hope I can ask just one more question without irritating you, stormy :p

I downloaded the InterVideo WinDVD player trial mentioned in the last page. It played a DVD (only tried 1 so far) perfectly. Now it seems Windows Media Player and Real player are playing it perfectly as well. Is this like fonts or something where codecs are downloaded to a central place on the computer so they work with every player?
Man...I can whiz aroud photoshop, show you a million windows shortcuts, and do crazy things with Dreamweaver but I dont know how these damn video players work!
Basically what I need to know is...when the 30 day trial for this new player expires (if I dont get the full version) or if I unionstall it will these codecs disapear and movies will no longer work?
I'm stoked that it wasn't a hardware problem. I'd be pissed if I spent so much $$ on this drive and it didn't even play movies.
Thanks again everyone for all your help! TT is amazing...I could come on here needing to know the mating rituals of the naked mole rat and be able to find SOMEONE who could tell me. :p

EDIT: I also downloaded that codec pack. It just downloaded a bunch of stuff to the place I selected on my hard drive....how does a video player know where to get the stuff?

Ness....you're not irritating me at all...don't even think that. You've helped me numerous times that I recall. The only prob is, I'm going to be very busy the next few days, what with the funeral and all, so I probably won't be able to seriously dig for info to help you out until next week sometime....but I will try to answer your queries to the best of my limited knowledge.

What I can say briefly now is....I don't know why or how the DefilerPak works, or what it does when you install it, or even where it installs to...I just know it works, and solved alot of problems I was having.

I also have the InterVideo software, and I get the same thing that you do...both players want to play the DVD. I just close the Windows player and use WinDVD (which btw I think is excellent...mine came in disc form with some computer part I bought awhile back...don't remember which one, but if you do buy it, get the discs don't download it).

I really think it's all in the settings of each player....you just have to tell the Windows and Real players you DON't want them to play DVD's....(but don't quote me on that....a techie I am deffo NOT). Just play with them...that's all I do....until I get it right! :D

I don't know why or how the DefilerPak works, or what it does when you install it, or even where it installs to...I just know it works,

Well that's the important part isnt it :p
Thanks again for all your help, stormie et al. The only problem Im having now is with the player(s) crashing when I try to access the DVD rom stuff. Ive only tried it on older dvds so far so maybe it's not meant to work with xp or something. No big dealy though.
I have my recorder and it works, I have a player that works, Im okay :)

nessonite said:
Well that's the important part isnt it :p
Thanks again for all your help, stormie et al. The only problem Im having now is with the player(s) crashing when I try to access the DVD rom stuff. Ive only tried it on older dvds so far so maybe it's not meant to work with xp or something. No big dealy though.
I have my recorder and it works, I have a player that works, Im okay :)

have you downloaded and installed Service Pack 2 for XP? Fair warning...even with a broadband connection...it takes ....FOREVER...!!

When I did it, I thought I was back in my days of middle IT/IS management on the old Tandem TXP Non-Stop mainframes! The whole graveyard shift was nothing but reports and system maintenance!:(

It was bloody awful....!!

Yeah, I have SP2...I dont remember it taking all that long though. I tend to have a very fast connection :p

What's New

5/19/2024
There will be Tivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT! Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back