• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Question For Major League Baseball Fans Who Know Their Shit

Shred

TMF Poster
My birthday passed a few weeks ago and since ill be taking the kids to Yankee games (ill NEVER cheer for the Red Sox like some people in Norwalk) my wife bought me a Randy Johnson jersey. I looked up his stats and they are Hall of Fame caliber and he seems mean not soft like some players (maybe its because hes 6 freakin 10!!!). Only thing is hes 43 years old? How long is The Big Unit gonna pitch? Also what im looking for is a list of the oldest pitchers or players who are still effective in Major League Baseball so I can compare on MLB.com. With baseball a month away I know we got some guys that can help me out right? :couch:

I know of a few pitchers in baseball history who have performed at a high level into their 40's.

The late great Satchel Paige
The late Warren Spahn
Jim Kaat
Roger Clemens
Tommy John and
Phil Neikro are other examples as well.

In fact, if you take the old Negro League there were plenty of outstanding players in the history of the game that are now starting to get recognized as GREATS of the games and some of them guys played into their 50's and 60's. I mentioned Satchel Paige it is thought when he played for the Kansas City A's ( they are now in Oakland ) in 1965 that he was 78 years old. So you can find examples in different leagues and ERA's of baseball where you find a great that continued to play well into their 40's and even their 50's.

Other examples would be Julio Franco ( 47 ) and Rickey Henderson both whom have performed at a high level into their 40's.

Shred said:
My birthday passed a few weeks ago and since ill be taking the kids to Yankee games (ill NEVER cheer for the Red Sox like some people in Norwalk) my wife bought me a Randy Johnson jersey. I looked up his stats and they are Hall of Fame caliber and he seems mean not soft like some players (maybe its because hes 6 freakin 10!!!). Only thing is hes 43 years old? How long is The Big Unit gonna pitch? Also what im looking for is a list of the oldest pitchers or players who are still effective in Major League Baseball so I can compare on MLB.com. With baseball a month away I know we got some guys that can help me out right? :couch:

I would say Johnson might pitch this year & maybe next year.His age along with the fact that he has had more nagging injuries will make him year to year.also pitching in New York, he is not fan of the city, might make him retire earlier

here is a list of older players who still get it done

roger clemens
kenny rogers
jamie moyer
mariano rivera
curt schilling
pedro martinez
john smoltz
tom glavine
greg maddox (the great pitcher for atlanta all those years and now pitches for the cubs)
barry bonds(i know i know)
gary sheffield(see bonds )
bernie williams
jim edmonds
ken griffey jr.
frank thomas
trevor hoffman
mike piazza
craig biggio
vinny castilla

these r the ones i can think of off the top of my head.all the guys are at least 35;most are closer to 40

Let's not forget that legendary Hall-Of-Famer, Chico Esquela. "Bessa-ball been beddy beddy good to me!"

Shred said:

julio franco of the mets is 49 years old and the oldest active player right now

Another guy who comes to mind, even though he's not a pitcher, but a position player, is Julio Franco, who played with my Braves the last few years, and according to the Mets roster, is with them this year. No one knows Franco's true age. He could be anywhere from late 40's to perhaps 50, but the man has a body built like iron. All muscle, very little fat, still an effective pinch hitter and part time first baseman, who can hit over .300, and perform in the clutch. The guy is truly amazing. He has been playing since 1978, at a time when many of the current top major leaguers weren't even born.

Mitch

I think we both made our posts at the same time, Way2Fun.

FlockOfSeagulls said:
I would say Johnson might pitch this year & maybe next year.His age along with the fact that he has had more nagging injuries will make him year to year.also pitching in New York, he is not fan of the city, might make him retire earlier

here is a list of older players who still get it done

roger clemens
kenny rogers
jamie moyer
mariano rivera
curt schilling
pedro martinez
john smoltz
tom glavine
greg maddox (the great pitcher for atlanta all those years and now pitches for the cubs)
barry bonds(i know i know)
gary sheffield(see bonds )
bernie williams
jim edmonds
ken griffey jr.
frank thomas
trevor hoffman
mike piazza
craig biggio
vinny castilla

these r the ones i can think of off the top of my head.all the guys are at least 35;most are closer to 40
Pedro is only 34 years old. Frank Thomas has done NOTHING the last couple of years, nor has Mike Piazza ( sorry to say ). He asked for guys who are still effective. Some of your names are great. Some have not been effective.

ticklingfeet4fu said:
Pedro is only 34 years old. Frank Thomas has done NOTHING the last couple of years, nor has Mike Piazza ( sorry to say ). He asked for guys who are still effective. Some of your names are great. Some have not been effective.

You are right on Thomas; but on these other guys does having a bad year mean you right them off?If that is the case then Randy Johnson is toast.I know i would still like to have Johnson pitching for my team, the Rangers.

Plus players from the Dominican Republic and that area are notorius for be a few years older than they say.The Rangers had 2 prospects from there.the first guy said he was 19 , he was actually 23 and the other guy was 26 and he was actually 31

Thanx guys. I read because of the Units size and strength that despite his injuries and age he still gets the fastball in the high 90s and should easily pitch another 2-3 years. At least thats what I read in some of the baseball mags when I stopped off at Barnes and Noble. Go Yanks!!! :bump:

FlockOfSeagulls said:
You are right on Thomas; but on these other guys does having a bad year mean you right them off?If that is the case then Randy Johnson is toast.I know i would still like to have Johnson pitching for my team, the Rangers.

Plus players from the Dominican Republic and that area are notorius for be a few years older than they say.The Rangers had 2 prospects from there.the first guy said he was 19 , he was actually 23 and the other guy was 26 and he was actually 31
No Flock that is not what I am saying. Piazza has not performed Piazza kind of numbers since 2002. He ripped a groin in 2003 and hasn't been the same. I love the Mets and Piazza but I can admit that he has not been the same since that injury. Vinny Castilla has been hit and miss the last several seasons. Actually since he laft Colorado. Has Bernie ( as much as I like him ) been Bernie the last couple of years? I guess that is better answered by Yankee fans than I. But the rest of your list Flock is a GREAT list. Was not knocking the list at all. Good job on your part.

Ah! Flock youre a Ranger fan! Cool! Dont hear about too many of them. Good to know you support your team. Mark Texiera is awesome. Im still stinging from when you said I dont know much about football in that football thread a while back though! :dropatear

ticklingfeet4fu said:
No Flock that is not what I am saying. Piazza has not performed Piazza kind of numbers since 2002. He ripped a groin in 2003 and hasn't been the same. I love the Mets and Piazza but I can admit that he has not been the same since that injury. Vinny Castilla has been hit and miss the last several seasons. Actually since he laft Colorado. Has Bernie ( as much as I like him ) been Bernie the last couple of years? I guess that is better answered by Yankee fans than I. But the rest of your list Flock is a GREAT list. Was not knocking the list at all. Good job on your part.

sorry about that,i was was just trying to say that 1 bad season does not make the end of a career.hey i like a person who is not afraid to stand up for his/ her opinion. much better than talking to a doorknob.I am just huge sports fan and enjoy sports conversation wherever i can get it.

I guess it doesnt matter how old you are as long as you have a fastball in the high 90s as the Big Unit does. :yowzer:

What's New

5/20/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello to us all!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back