• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Robert Englund vs. Jackie Earle Hayley

Dino Turtelli

TMF Regular
With 50 days & counting down to the release of the Nightmare on Elm Street Remake I have been asked this question & so I thought I'd throw it out there: How do u think Jackie Earle Hayley is going to do playing the role of Freddy Krueger. My answer has always been this & it was kind of the same when Daniel Craig became the new James Bond. 1st of All I will give him a chance to prove himself worthy of the role by watching the film & supporting him until the end, then I will make my decision as to whether or not he's fit to play the part. Daniel Craig did a phenonimal job taking over the role as Bond & I look forward to many more with him. 2nd b/c the bar has been set kinda high with regards to Jackie due tot he fact that Robert Englund has played Freddy Krueger 8 times Jackie has some big shoes to fill, the only other actor the reprise his role more than once as a slasher villain is Bard Dourif playing Chucky, Kane Hodder played Jason Vorhees 4 times, Tyler Mane has played Michael Myers twice & maybe a 3rd time I've heard mention of a Halloween 3 which I hope will be better than the Original Halloween 3, but as far as Jackie Earle Hayley playing Freddy Krueger I'm looking forward to it, perhaps he will add a little sumthing extra to the role.

No one can replace Robert England as Freddy Kruger. There are just some movie roles that shouldn't be remade. Marlon Brando in "The Godfather", John Wayne in "True Grit".

Oh wait.....isn't "True Grit" being remade with Shia Labeouf?

Drew

Since a lot of well-known movies are being rebooted, I have begun to take the stance that each of these remakes should stand alone. You cannot judge them compared to the original.

As a theatre person, I see remakes as being just like revivals on Broadway. And in theatre, you never judge a production based on how it used to be done. It a completely different animal.

So if I do watch the new Freddy, I'll judge the performance on its own merit, rather than compare it to Robert Englund.

Just like I couldn't see Robert as Kelly Leak in Bad News Bears, I can't picture Kelly in Robert's role. :p

Although, maybe with enough make-up or something, I dunno.

I believe JEH will do a great job, but we '70's and '80's babies will always see Robert Englund as *the* Freddy; it's just ingrained at this point, and we're a different breed of movie-goer then the generation or two after us. Hell, as much as I adore Daniel Craig in the Bond films (and really he's awesome), part of me still thinks of him as an imposter to the Connery Throne ;)

My fave Bond is still Pierce Brosnan, probably b/c I grew up with him, & I agree that Hollywood has no good ideas lately even though I think Tim Burton & Johnny Depp should make a movie about the life of Edgar Allan Poe with Depp playing Poe, but these remakes are getting to be annoying. Friday the 13th was a let down. Anyway I'm still looking forward to seeing the remake to see if they do it justice. I've heard talks of a Child's Play remake.

by-patricia-b-in-who-n628900159_6378362_55633981-328x246-custom.jpg

He will always be the guy who stuck a sock in his pants on his way to Tijuana.

"yoo-WHEEEEE-oooooh!"

JEH can 'pull off' Freddy, but much like the new 'Star Trek' it's impossible to duplicate an original.

So hopefully people appreciate it for what it is, but dare not say it's 'better than' Englund.

Robert Englund=Freddy

I'll wait and see how this remake works out. From what I've seen... the new Freddy doesn't enjoy his killings as much.

These remakes are just a way of saying "We need money, but we've ran out of ideas!" Just my opinion.

Honestly, I have felt the same way about movie remakes, but I would ask you to think about the fact that many teens-early20somethings have probably never seen many of the original Freddy movies. I know that I haven't. In fact, by the time I was old enough to watch horror movies, Freddy was on a crappy made-for-TV film on TNT.

These remakes are a way for these franchises to be reborn for newer generations. Are they a crutch for the lack of creativity in Hollywood? Absolutely. But are they also a way to revive classic characters and stories for those who were too young to experience the original? They sure are.

I would encourage those who are die hard Englund fans to refrain from seeing the new movie, but to allow younger generations to enjoy the new movie, and be exposed to Freddy Kruger the way you all were when you first saw Nightmare on Elm Street.

I've decided to give Jackie, and the new movie a chance.

Robert will always be Freddy, though

Tinkerhead u make a good point & I'll tell u why. My sister is a prime example, she loves a good horror movie, but she doesn't ever want to watch the old stuff she's part of that generation who is just all about special effects, so she wont watch John Carpenters Halloween, or the original Friday the 13th or the Original Nightmare on Elm Street

What's New

5/11/2024
The TMF Art and Story Archives collect some of our communities best creators work in one place!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back