• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

the 60th anaversary.

areenactor

2nd Level Blue Feather
last night i put out my airborne flag, on my lighted poarch.
this morning at 6:50 i put up my american flag.

all this is just part of my personal commemorating of the landings at normandy france 60 years ago.

i wonder just how many alive today really understand the importance of that event? later today i'm going to call a couple vets that i know were there, and thank them for their incredible efforts on that day. they'll laugh my gratitude off, but i know they'll be happy they are remembered.

steve

Sounds great, Steve. My brother and his reenactment company are also doing a special commemoration this weekend....and putting on a dinner for vets in the area who were there.

Ann

ann, i didn't know you knew about re-enacting

could i hope that your brother does ww2 re-enacting?
where are they doing their event?

steve

Those still alive and those who have passed deserve special recognition on the 60th anniversary of D-Day. Brave young men from the United States, Britain and Canada did nothing short of saving the world. They were truly the greatest generation.

With all of the recent talk of war justification, these men sacrificed themselves in the ultimate justification of war...the freedom of the species.

We should all take a moment to remember those who fought and those who gave thier lives on June 6th 1944, changing the course of history and forever establishing thier place in the annals of heroism.

It is also great to finally see a memorial dedicated to these fine men, even if it is 60 years overdue. God bless you all.

"i wonder just how many alive today really understand the importance of that event..."

Actually, Steve, I find that a very important and scary question...
I was in Mickey Dee's early Friday morning, to get my coffee. There's a nice, elderly woman working behind the counter named Martha, who has a very dry sense of humor. I overheard her talking to one of her fellow employees. "Sunday's D-Day," she barked. "Not M-Day, D-Day!" I heard the other person laugh.
At that moment, I truly wished there was no possibility that someone from the Promotions department were listening. Can you imagine it? "It's D-Day at McDonalds! Get the new McOmaha Fish Filet value meal for $3.99 at all participating McDonalds!"

What a world.

I was pleased to see Don Cherry pay them tribute on Hockey Night in Canada last night.

One thing makes this 60th anniversary of D-Day very special: For the first time in history, a German chancellor was invited to the celebrations. It's a significant difference, and it shows that at least the age-old enemies France and Germany have grown together. Germany has accepted and overcome its own history, and therefore the rest of the world does accept the new, democratic Germany.

The pictures which moved me most were those of French, British, American, AND German veterans talking to each other in peace and friendship.

We Shall Never Forget

I'm slightly concerned that more people replied to a post entitled "When did you last have sex" than replied to this thread.
I cannot begin to comprehend the immense efforts of Britsh and Commonwealth soldiers and soldiers of other nations (Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Poland, Norway, Russia etc. etc.). In all ways I am grateful and full of appreciation for the many men who fought so bravely and for the sacrifice of many men and families (they lost dads and sons) on that day and on everyday of the second great war of the twentieth century. Can you imagine the ways in which people died during that war? Slowly burning in the carnage of a wrecked tank or of paratroopers drowning in the flooded fields of france, unable to free themselves from the sucking mud? It seems that many Germans are unable to understand our (British) determination to remember that war - but may we never forget the nature of our enemy during that war. But at least we know that another nutter will not come along and try to unite the nations of Europe! (Crazy really - Napoleon tried to unite Europe and We, the Prussians, the dutch etc. managed to put an end to that crazy idea, and then Hitler came along and tried to do the same and his plans were shattered, and now our politicians are trying to further unite Europe in a manner that surely cannot ever succeed. I could write for hours on this matter but won't as I am not the most informed person in the world). It makes one think really. Were we justified to invade Iraq? Probably not, on reflection. Iraq was never a threat and I'm sure we could have helped the Iraqi people more had we not gone in there, destabilised the country, ruined there already not great infrastructure, killed 10,000 + civilians (did you know that there are no official figures for the number of civilian dead? What does that say about our concern for ordinary Iraqi's if we don't even bother to count their dead - although the red cross and other organisations provide 'reliable' estimates) and become even more hated around the world. Certainly I am ashamed that our allies abused prisoners at Abu Ghraib (not sure if I'm more disappointed that we used Saddams torture chambers to incarcerate prisoners). Also I am really dismayed by the reduced freedom of our countrues (US and UK) since that war. Come on America - stop holding people in detention indefinately - I refer to Guantanamo Bay and other locations (the US refuse to tell the world where they are keeping all of their prisoners or how many are being detained in secret and unreleased locations around the world). Charge them or let them go! (One European country (maybe it was a scandinavian country) take a different and RIGHT approach. They closely watch people they suspect of engaging in acts of terrorism RATHER THAN JUST ARRESTING THEM AND DETAINING THEM WITHOUT CHARGE! Charge them or let them go - some of these people have been detained for months. And we (UK) are just as bad, but I feel that UK troops take a more softly, softly approach and are less inclined to go in all guns blazing unlike some US troops (Fallujah, Najaf) - maybe it is because we have centuries experience of dealing with invading other countries (the Empire, Northern Ireland etc.) or some cynics might suggest that we are just a small assortment of about 8,000 troops in the releatively peaceful south or Iraq and hence never get exposed to the same situations as the US troops (100,000 odd men) in the north.
I don't mean to have a go at the US - I love the US, US people and US culture (music, films food, clothes, values) - but when you read about some of the stuff that you guys get up to in the world I despair! And its us as well.
The US should not be HATED around the world. The US helped to liberate so many countries 60 years that the world should be in Americas debt. The US has consistently defended democracy and IS helping and HAS elped so many nations. Maybe the US needs to review its foreign policy. On september 11th the war against terrorism was brought to the attention and every ordinary person in the western world - but I'm afraid the terrorists are winning the war in one respect - they have made our great and free countries less great and less free.

Hmm, I'm not into much celebration as D-Day could just as wel've been called S-Day for Slaughter

The massive bloodshed and the thousands that have died that day imo are to make celebrations humble

Mephistopheles said:
Hmm, I'm not into much celebration as D-Day could just as wel've been called S-Day for Slaughter

D-Day is not a 'celebration', it's a remembrance of Operation Overlord on 06-06-1944, which began the liberation of Europe from German occupation.

'd-day' is a generic term, as is 'h-hour'. No renaming necessary.

I completely agree with Hal's sentiments regarding German presence at the D-Day rememberance. The world will never see democracy work or decency prevail until we forgive past debts, forget old differences and become one people. Just as most educated people in the world today don't fault the US people for the Iraq mess, the D-Day liberation wasn't against the German people, it was against the German war machine. A machine that no longer exists.

The echoes of Iraq are going to resonate for decades after this is over and I know we as American people do not expect to be villified over the choices of our government 60 years from now.

Please note that I only bring this up as a comparison, not an opening for yet another Iraq debate, so please drop those in the myriad other threads. My point is that those who fought and died 60 years ago would be proud to see the unity from all parties involved as thier final victory.

Well said, Hal.

not to burst any bubble, but..

germans were at the 50th anaversery of d-day. there were ex-soldiers, and government officals. yesterdays was "bigger" by the offical inclussion of the german chancelor.

please with hold further comments about iraq. this thread is about the normany landings in june 1944, and nothing else!

steve

In previous years, the Germans there were only visitors; this time, they were invited as participants. Chancellor Schroeder and President Chirac officially opened a new D-Day museum, and units of the French-German brigade paraded with the other nations. That IS a difference.

Thanks for your words, Dave!

i will say this;

i am very glad the germany of today is not like the germany of the hitler era.

but again, this thread was to praise the american/british who stormed the beaches of normandy to rescue the people of europe from the germans... not to praise the inclussion of germans!

steve

Re: ann, i didn't know you knew about re-enacting

areenactor said:
could i hope that your brother does ww2 re-enacting?
where are they doing their event?

steve

Sorry...haven't been online much. Actually, Joe does civil war. But, when anniversaries like this come along, they all drop the period focus and tend to those who are still with us. His group is in upstate NY. But, he's been traveling all over the east coast the last couple of years.

Anyway, back to D-Day itself...

I actually did a live-in case with a gentleman who was there. Clayt was in one of the first wave of ships to come ashore. A good portion of the company he was in was blown apart before they got to dry sand. He was slightly wounded himself when a bone from one of the other guys cut across his arm as it flew past and part of someone else hit him in the side of the head. I can't imagine the horror of something like that hapenning a hundred times over all around. We observed the 50th anniversary together when it came along. I decided to make an extra special dinner for him as a thanks for his sacrifice. He hardly touched it. All those years later, the images he'd witnessed that day still haunted him. We spent half the evening talking about what he'd witnessed and what it meant to be there. It was a real eye opener for me.

I have a great deal of respect for those who risk their lives to defend our freedom. But, when you see something like this that's on such a large scale, it really makes things hit home about just how much they sacrificed that day.

Ann

Last edited:
I Had My..

USA, Canada, Australian, Norwegian, Polish, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and German Flags flying yesterday.

The first 7 countries faced stopped the greatest evil the modern world has ever known. The 8th country put the cream of their youth online many of whom would have much preferred to be safe at home.

Someone asked if the vets from that era knew or appreciated what they did. Yes they do, but they usually remain silent because in an era where we dilute the world "hero" they'd just prefer to be able to forget a job well done and go on with their lives.

A reminder to all of you, These older vets might tell the same damn story 1000 times but you'd better damn well listen. They earned it, WW2 vets of all countries are dying at a record rate and they are a true treasure. SO LISTEN!

Tron

Just sending out a quick salute and thank you to all the Vetrans of D-Day!
Those that survived the horror of that day and days following deserve a lot, the least of which is thanks!

<center>
salute1.gif

What's New

5/12/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back