• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Beatles show was a bit of a flop: your thoughts.

ticklishscribe

3rd Level Violet Feather
They should have shown more historical footage and less people singing the beatles songs. The singing part by the other people could have been aired anytime of of the year. But tonight was the 50th anniversary of the Fab Four on the ED Sullivan show and how Ed discovered them. That should have been the focus.

The Paul and Ringo stuff was awesome and appropriate.

Your thoughts

Well, it was a tribute, and Paul explained that pretty well towards the end. There was plenty of clips from that Sullivan Show, plus Letterman talking with Paul and Ringo about their memories of that night, so there was some of that. Those shows are available on DVD at the local video store if there are any left around you, or maybe at the public library. I liked the singing of the songs, some better than others. Could have done without Katy Perry singing Yesterday, but those other fellows who rocked out on Hey Bulldog was a pleasant highlight. There was quite the liberal sampling from over those years.
I didn't recognize Eric Clapton until Ringo called him out by name. Damn, all them folks are getting older, but the energy and joy they played with, I'm sure they're going to be around for a little while longer at least.
I thought it was fun. I had the TV hooked up through the stereo system, so the quality of the sound was very good here. The energy there was pretty high. Danni Harrison was good to see up there, but he only played rhythm and back up vocals on one of his dad's songs. I enjoyed tonights show, and had a good time.
Why the cameras kept going over to Yoko and Sean is beyond me. They weren't sitting near Paul and Ringo, and Sean never got on the stage, but I'm sure there is a reason for that. I saw Yoko and Sean on the Letterman show a few weeks ago when they came on as the Plastic Ono Band, looking more like Yoko was trying to get back to her roots of yelling and screaming a lot like she did back in the early 70's. Letterman comes up afterwards and jokes about having a good song to sing to yourself while leaving the theater, and Yoko looked embarrassed. That screaming wasn't all that popular back then, not sure why she wants to bring it back now except maybe for the memories of better times.

John Legend and Alicia Keys killed it with Let It Be. They really amped up the soul in that song which I loved.

Thought it was a great mix of nostalgia and entertainment!!! I agree that a few of the songs weren't done properly...but at least the "older" performers did them perfectly!!! Katy and her "curtain dress" was different...but I don't think having Yesterday sung by a woman...and having to change the He's to She's and She's to He's...is the way to go, with that song. (saw it on Glee, also...and thought WTH!!!) But who thought that Joe Walsh sounded great??!! Not his singing...but his guitar??!! You could have closed your eyes, and thought George was playing!!! I didn't notice if it was Eric Clapton...but I know Ringo "called out" Peter Frampton, who is a member of his "ALL STARS"...and was on stage quite a bit!!!

Anyway...that's my thoughts on a very entertaining and historic evening!!!

PS: This is my 100th post!!! LOL!!! (only took 8 years!!!)

I enjoyed it!!! Love to see that they can stand the test of time. Good to see the old timers rocking out! But, it is equally refreshing to see a new generation playing their songs, as well! It was definitely an historic moment seeing Paul and Ringo playing together again! It brought tears to my eyes!

It would have been Black Sabbath doing "I Am The Walrus", Motley Crue playing "Helter Skelter" which they did on Shout At The Devil, a reunited Led Zeppelin doing "Sgt. Peppers", Rush playing "Taxman", "Let It Be" should have been sung by Paul Rodgers. The current crop of "pop" sucks balls. I'm glad I didn't watch this. I played by The First US Visit DVD...far more entertaining.

It would have been Black Sabbath doing "I Am The Walrus", Motley Crue playing "Helter Skelter" which they did on Shout At The Devil, a reunited Led Zeppelin doing "Sgt. Peppers", Rush playing "Taxman", "Let It Be" should have been sung by Paul Rodgers. The current crop of "pop" sucks balls. I'm glad I didn't watch this. I played by The First US Visit DVD...far more entertaining.

If you didn't watch it, how can you form an opinion?

I enjoyed it.

Although some of the singers did not do justice to some of the songs, it seems that Paul and Ringo applauded them all.

It was fairly good, considering all they had to work with. Maybe it shouldn't have been hyped as just the 50th anniversary of their coming over, but more fittingly of their total career. Was interesting to see the mix of different artists (ie, rock, hip-hop, country) doing pretty good covers of various songs (I won't judge any). The best, though, was seeing Paul and Ringo reunited and performing together, if only on a few songs. If only we could have had all four....

Motley Crue
<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/uF6Vvq3f3UY?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/uF6Vvq3f3UY?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cheap Trick
<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/zNScY5-C_1g?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/zNScY5-C_1g?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Aerosmith, in the godfuckingawful "Sgt. Peppers" Film.
<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/3VimX588RgE?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/3VimX588RgE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Early Deep Purple
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/S14XaF6bW7A?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/S14XaF6bW7A?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hell, if it wasn't for the Beatles there would never have been the hair bands (they were the original "hair band")...and, the Beatles have more of a legacy than most bands after them.

Hell, if it wasn't for the Beatles there would never have been the hair bands (they were the original "hair band")...and, the Beatles have more of a legacy than most bands after them.

I agree.

Yeah -- reading a lot of "Beatles overrated stuff" on twitter sphere.

To understand their greatness, listen to some other 1964 bands. Hard to describe how unusual and better they were than everyone else making music at the time. Sort of the Babe Ruth's of Rock N Roll. Completely changed the game and the rule book. Their equals weren't "The Zombies" or "The Animals" but Leonard Bernstein. Bernstein in fact, wrote a lengthy article in the NY Times, in response to some of the backlash at the time, saying that some of the stuff they were doing in songs like "She Loves You" and "In My Life" would stand for decades. He kind of nailed that one.

Today, sure they sound quaint, especially the pre-67 stuff, but the right comparison to understand their greatness was "How much better were they than "Dave Clark 5" or "The Four Seasons" or "Dion and the Belmonts'" and later -- how much better were they than the post 67 Kinks, Stones, Beach Boys , the Who, the Byrds or Buffalo Springfield?

The answer is a ton.

So yeah, John Bonham could disintegrate Ringo in a drum battle. And George Harrison would sound like a retard if played side by side with Stevie Ray Vaughan. But its irrelevant. They changed the game, blazed the trail and forever own the heavyweight crown.

So yeah, Babe Ruth would not hit 60 homers today, but he raised the bar and he remains the best. And yeah, LeBron can do somethings that Jordan couldn't -- But Jordan is the gold standard.

So it is with The Beatles.

Yeah -- reading a lot of "Beatles overrated stuff" on twitter sphere.

To understand their greatness, listen to some other 1964 bands. Hard to describe how unusual and better they were than everyone else making music at the time. Sort of the Babe Ruth's of Rock N Roll. Completely changed the game and the rule book. Their equals weren't "The Zombies" or "The Animals" but Leonard Bernstein. Bernstein in fact, wrote a lengthy article in the NY Times, in response to some of the backlash at the time, saying that some of the stuff they were doing in songs like "She Loves You" and "In My Life" would stand for decades. He kind of nailed that one.

Today, sure they sound quaint, especially the pre-67 stuff, but the right comparison to understand their greatness was "How much better were they than "Dave Clark 5" or "The Four Seasons" or "Dion and the Belmonts'" and later -- how much better were they than the post 67 Kinks, Stones, Beach Boys , the Who, the Byrds or Buffalo Springfield?

The answer is a ton.

So yeah, John Bonham could disintegrate Ringo in a drum battle. And George Harrison would sound like a retard if played side by side with Stevie Ray Vaughan. But its irrelevant. They changed the game, blazed the trail and forever own the heavyweight crown.

So yeah, Babe Ruth would not hit 60 homers today, but he raised the bar and he remains the best. And yeah, LeBron can do somethings that Jordan couldn't -- But Jordan is the gold standard.

So it is with The Beatles.

You can't really compare Dick Clark Five, because Paul was writing their songs lol. But, I mean, at the beginning, George Martin wouldn't even let the fab four record their own original lyrics because of how bad they were and they were barely able to bang out some covers of songs from their instruments. They went through a handful of drummers before Ringo, who already had a good following from his membership in another band when he joined. Their whole schtick from the Quarrymen days on was that they emulated their idols like Chuck Berry and Little Richard, but so was every other teddy boy in the UK. They had been turned down by every record label they knew and Martin had been doing primarily comedy albums before he agreed to work with them. Paul credits a lot of the band's greatness to happenstance or serendipity, and I think a lot of that happened in the beginning because of how terrible they were.

I feel like they didn't start really earning that "legend" title until much later, after they were given more creative freedom, after they were able to explore how far they could go with that creativity, and after they were able to harness it. First concept album. First band to do promotional (music) videos. They changed recording as anyone knew it at the time and challenged everyone's idea of what popular music was or, more importantly, could be (would we have had Elton John, Bowie, Queen, etc).

Aaaaand now I'm rambling cuz I am too obsessed with them. I am glad I missed Katy Perry's "Yesterday" though. I feel like I would have thrown up in my hands.

You can't really compare Dick Clark Five, because Paul was writing their songs lol. But, I mean, at the beginning, George Martin wouldn't even let the fab four record their own original lyrics because of how bad they were and they were barely able to bang out some covers of songs from their instruments. They went through a handful of drummers before Ringo, who already had a good following from his membership in another band when he joined. Their whole schtick from the Quarrymen days on was that they emulated their idols like Chuck Berry and Little Richard, but so was every other teddy boy in the UK. They had been turned down by every record label they knew and Martin had been doing primarily comedy albums before he agreed to work with them. Paul credits a lot of the band's greatness to happenstance or serendipity, and I think a lot of that happened in the beginning because of how terrible they were.

I feel like they didn't start really earning that "legend" title until much later, after they were given more creative freedom, after they were able to explore how far they could go with that creativity, and after they were able to harness it. First concept album. First band to do promotional (music) videos. They changed recording as anyone knew it at the time and challenged everyone's idea of what popular music was or, more importantly, could be (would we have had Elton John, Bowie, Queen, etc).

Aaaaand now I'm rambling cuz I am too obsessed with them. I am glad I missed Katy Perry's "Yesterday" though. I feel like I would have thrown up in my hands.

By 1964 -- THE ground zero year for them -- I think they had at one point 7 of top 10 in charts. The Quarrymen -- the Silver Beatles.. the Ratskellar stuff was all the embryonic stuff all great bands have to go through (Maybe Led Zeppelin skipped that awkward zits on face era because they were all solid pros coming together).

And agreed that George Martin really was the fifth Beatle. Paul learned a ton from him. God bless him, even on the Let it Be film he's dialing some of them down .

I think though if you take 1964 as Ground Zero and throw out the early stuff (even Love Me Do -- a Pete Best on drums song ), and then compare to the other bands that were out there, even the 64 era Stones, there is a seismic difference in sound quality, singing, song writing and craftsmanship.

And the other bands and music press and even fans knew it. The joke at the time was that whatever album the Beatles did, the Stones would do a lousier version of it. (Beggar's Banquet might have been the album where the Stones cut the umbelical).

And there is the Brian Wilson psychopathic Sgt Pepper's Meltdown. The Beatles were so far ahead of the field.. even recognized as such in 1967, that went Sgt. Pepper's came out, it sent Brian Wilson on 6 year LSD bender. It was so much better than their best "Pet Sounds" that Wilson felt like a hypocrite.

I'm fricking nuts about them, mystique, hype and all. There are things they do on sounds like "The Night Before" that just blow me away. Yes, again, Ringo was no Keith Moon -- but he was a stinking engine on some of those songs. Is he doing double snare shots on some beats or .. did he just stink? I don't know but its alchemy and sounds perfect.

I think at the time, even outside of the teeny bopper and sales records they were setting, there was a sense that they were a major paradigm shift. Along with Dylan they changed the game and pushed themselves to get better. Whenever they smelt something stale coming out of the speakers ("Good Day Sunshine era Stuf)" they pushed to do Sgt. Peppers.

Yeah - I can go on and on.....me likee

I really enjoyed watching Paul and Ringo last night. Other than that, I thought Joe Walsh, Gary Clark Jr and Dave Grohl stole the show with While My Guitar Gently Weeps. This tribute wasn't nearly as good as the Concert For George though. You can't compare The Beatles with The Rolling Stones either. The Beatles were a pop band with pop influences, like Chuck Berry and the Shirelles. The Stones are a rock band, heavily steeped in African American blues, from the likes of Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, the same as Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton. Another thing is that Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is not a concept album, although many people seem to think it is for some strange reason. A concept album has a theme running through it, with the songs connecting with each other to tell a story, and Sgt Pepper's doesn't do that. Fixing A Hole has absolutely nothing to do with A Day In The Life, Good Morning, Good Morning, When I'm Sixty-Four or Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, other than they may have been written as the result of many acid trips. If there is a concept, I'd like to know what it is. Perhaps it's the cover or the clothes they were wearing. John Lennon even admitted that it wasn't one himself. The Moody Blues probably made the first concept albums from Days Of Future Past, right up until Seventh Sojourn as did The Who with Tommy. Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, Supertramp, Styx, Rush and other progressive rock bands did as well. If Brian Wilson could have kept it together, the album Brian Wilson Presents Smile, which he wrote with Van Dyke Parks in 1966, would have been the first. I watched a CBC documentary about the Beatles last week. EMI, which was the record company that George Martin made comedy records for and also produced Beatles 45's, owned Capitol records at that time. They said that Beatles records were available here in Canada for more than a year before Capitol finally released any in the U.S. I wasn't around then of course, but my parents and grandparents liked The Beatles along with The Rolling Stones, I grew up listening to both. Neither were my favorites, but I liked them as well, and still do. If it hadn't been for Astrid Kirchherr cutting her bf Stuart Sutcliffe and George Harrison's hair like the guys in Hamburg Germany did at that time, and Paul along with John having the same hairstyle done in Paris, there would have possibly been no hair bands.

The Beatles would have never made it past the Cavern Club if it weren't for Brian Epstein. What runs a successful music act is a manager that believes in their product, lands the lucrative shows, and handles all problems between the musicians without problems. His closet homosexuality would have been an albatross if it were out in the open at that time, but the loss of his genius in 1967 when he died prematurely was the beginning of the end of The Beatles. Yoko's presence in the studio may have accelerated the demise, though.

Led Zeppelin kinda picked up where they left off, without the teeny-bopper label. Imagine if Zep's manager/capo/hitman Peter Grant had become the manager of the Beatles.

Old thread, new guy. Couldn't help seeing what else you guys talk about since I'm new here!
Having been at the show when they taped it, I thought they did a really good job. There were quite a few things in the actual broadcast that were different from what happened at the taping. Some of the artist speeches were cut, the emcees didn't talk as much (I clearly remember Anna Kendrick talking twice but they cut her second one), Eric Idle's monologue was cut by 1/2 which made it 1/2 as funny. There were various overdubs, cuts, etc. Actually Imagine Dragons' rendition of Revolution was cut in 1/2 as well. Also, Stevie Wonder did his song twice as he wasn't satisfied with his first performance. There were a bunch of others, if you're curious just ask! All in all it was amazing to be there, an experience of a lifetime.

Attaching a few images.
1016476_483804381728127_232924082_n.jpg
1604365_484064345035464_1624027222_n.jpg

What's New

5/10/2024
Our Welcome forum has a place for you to introduce yourself. Say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back