• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The best, the worst and the weirdest cover versions of Beatles songs

The Internet

2nd Level Green Feather
Amazingly...every single song in the Beatles catalog has been covered, and covered more than once. Every single one. That's....an achievement!

The cover versions span every conceivable style of music, across the entire globe. I have a gigantic collection of such recordings, some of which I thought I'd share with my fellow Beatlefreaks! Maybe you have some that you enjoy...or laugh at....or shake your head at! Don't be shy, believe me, there's more than enough to go around! I have a pretty comprehensive collection, but I'd love to be surprised with something I haven't heard before. :)

To kick things off, and in no particular order......

Ramsey Lewis Trio: A Hard Day's Night

Mohammed Rafi & Asha Bhosle: I Want To Hold Your Hand

Deep Purple: Help

Bongwater: Julia

Last edited:
Junior Parker (with Jimmy McGriff): The Inner Light

Ernest Ranglin: You Won't See Me

The 89 Key Marenghi Fairground Organ: She Loves You

We'll leave it there for now! Enjoy, you enjoyers! :)

Remember they kinda were impressed with Joe Cocker's version of A Little Help From my Friends. At least Ringo was.

Bring on the Fudge! :) And of course, the Joe Cocker cover, especially live at Woodstock, is a classic.

Here are three really affecting renditions of "Don't Let Me Down": one soul version, one country version, and one reggae version, all from 1969. Good luck trying to figure out which is the "best" version.....;)

Donald Height: Don't Let Me Down

Dillard & Clark: Don't Let Me Down

Marcia Griffiths: Don't Let Me Down

This is one of my classmates' bands incorporating "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" into a series of segues at a house party. Not terribly weird, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVBC5Er8H0

Not weird, just cool! I enjoyed it too! Give our best to your classmate....but maybe don't tell where we're from, lol!

(hey, if people want to "embed", just "Reply With Quote" from any of my posts with a You Tube clip.....and all you have to do is use the end of the You Tube URL, after the equal sign, the numbers and letters code....insert that in between the two "You Tube" brackets, and voila, the clip will be embedded.

Now it's time to say good night. ;)

Cyril Stapleton & His Orchestra: Good Night

(mp3 attached)

Attachments

• 21 Good Night.mp3
    3.4 MB
Also in "best" category (IMO). At least fluffhead will be into it ;)

Phish "Martha My Dear"

Ship, you know me too well!
Also a massive Vanilla Fudge fan, so you're 2/2 in my book.

There's Aerosmith's cover of Come Together.... some may like it, I'm a bit meh.

Good morning, good morning, TMF!

The Armenian Philharmonic: Good Morning, Good Morning

(see attached mp3)

I'll match your Siouxie & the Banshees.......

Siouxie & The Banshees: Helter Skelter (live version)

.....AND your Phish........

Phish: Revolution #9

and raise you a Fat Boys.....;)

The Fat Boys: Baby, You're A Rich Man

Attachments

• 24 Good Morning, Good Morning.mp3
    3.5 MB
I always liked Fiona Apple's version of Across the Universe, which provided a nice whimsical ending to the charming and witty film Pleasantville.
I'm not so keen on it when listening to it in the sole context of a song+video though.

Fiona Apple - Across the Universe

Another one is the collaboration involving Kelly Jones (Stereophonic) and the Jools Holland Big Band doing 'Revolution':

Neither of these are trying to be radically different, which depending on your perspective, could be safe or risky - usually I look for a cover version to be produced within an entirely different genre or to take the song in a new direction one way or another, but in some cases a decent cover of an excellent song, sticking to the original blueprint, is the best option.

Siouxie and The Banshees - Dear Prudence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6rrTROoZIw

This was the other one that instantly sprung to mind.

The 89 Key Marenghi Fairground Organ: She Loves You

We'll leave it there for now! Enjoy, you enjoyers! :)

This is wonderful to see on here, so I hope you don't mind me digressing briefly with a bit of historical info as I have spent many a happy night at vintage steam fairs, under the stars, drinking ale with friends while listening to fairground organs, standing alongside the showman's engine keeping warm (the showman's steam engine is what will often be generating the power to play (and light) the organ and associated fairground rides).

The organ 'Lady Hamilton' was unfortunately stolen several years ago, while being exhibited in the back of a classic lorry - it's unclear whether the intention was to steal the lorry or the organ, but neither were ever recovered.
The traction engine shown is a Burrell Showman's Locomotive, 'Lord Nelson', which was, along with the organ, owned at one time by the National Motor Museum - the engine is still around, but has since been altered to represent a road haulage locomotive.

Cheers
TTG

I always liked Fiona Apple's version of Across the Universe, which provided a nice whimsical ending to the charming and witty film Pleasantville.
I'm not so keen on it when listening to it in the sole context of a song+video though.

Another one is the collaboration involving Kelly Jones (Stereophonic) and the Jools Holland Big Band doing 'Revolution':

I love the Fiona version of "Across the Universe", never saw the video though, I know what you mean!

Never heard Kelly Jones with Jools doing "Revolution"....my favorite part is Kate Moss grooving to it in the audience! Kelly's no match for Lennon's original vocal though....very few are! Lol!

But mostly...thank you for the comprehensive info about the Lady Hamilton organ! I'm stunned! That's the kind of stuff I live for! So sad to hear it....but happy to know about it! (i have other Beatles songs on that and other fairground organs, including a medley of "Yesterday/Hey Jude" that could just about make you bawl a baby, lol!)

As far as covers being faithful or not faithful: that's one of the great things about this "project"....some are EXTREMELY faithful to a tee, to the 'nth degree....and some go way out with it. I think it's great hearing both approaches, and hearing these fantastic, deathless songs in completely different settings, or even just with a different cast of characters, like these versions. I also find it fascinating what parts of the original recordings they choose to retain (a George Harrison guitar line, a Ringo drum fill, etc etc....)

*And Tman87....you're right, you gotta have William Shatner's infamous and hilarious version of "LSD"! Thanks for remembering! Ok, I'm going to pick out something now if you don't mind!

A couple of reworkings.....

Nina Simone: Revolution 1 (with a guitar line quote from "Old Brown Shoe")

The Beastie Boys: I'm Down

and an unexpected rendition:

Ella Fitzgerald: Savoy Truffle

What a lovely interview with Roger Hodgson before he starts playing the song, thanks for the link Bator! Batormania!!! AAAAAAH! :D
And look at Shippy digging up the Oingo, completely forgot about this one! Must be all that Norweigan wood I've been smoking...;)

....ok fab listeners.......I volley back with:

Tomorrow: Strawberry Fields Forever

Sandie Shaw: Love Me Do

The Supremes: Come Together

I was kinda surprised no one mentioned these yet:
Elton John - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlv2eAxc7sM
Jimi Hendrix - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band {Paul stated the album was released on a Friday and Hendrix played it at the Marquee Club on Sunday} https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STvsuIrLXz0
Jeff Beck - A Day In The Life {who needs vocals when you have Jeff}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhHNzNO17UM

Right on, Bator!

If you don't mind, I'm matching your Jeff Beck AND your Jimi....I think the only other Elton Beatle-related cover is John Lennon's "One Day At A Time" (the flip side to "LSD"), but solo songs don't count!

Jeff Beck: She's A Woman

The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Day Tripper

...and here's a seldom-heard version with a young Jimi Hendrix in Curtis Knight's band:

Curtis Knight (with Jimi Hendrix): Day Tripper

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back