• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Nostalgia Thread

Daumantas

TMF Expert
This one has Energizer bunny potential.

Anything you can think of, and let's just keep adding to it.

Two to start:

1. Remember when potato chips used to come in big metal cans? They were about the size of a wastebasket. Me, siblings and cousins would all dig in.

2. Remember when TV sets used to come in those big, floor-standing models, that were intended to look sort of like French Provincial furniture? My aunt had a HUGE set that included a built-in stereo, too. The knobs were big and made a snapping noise as you changed channels.

When...

Comic books were bought to read and enjoy, not be plasticized.

Baseball cards were used in the spokes of your bike and for games during recess.

Stacking up 45's and just letting 'em drop onto the turntable one by one, hissing and popping and having a flavor all their own.

Caring about NBA games.

Actually working on the engine of your car, and knowing what the parts did!

Q

Let's see::

Cigarettes were 75 cents a pack

A bottle of soda was 75 cents

Could go to the movies for one dollar

Condoms only cost a quarter in the machine at the gas station

Yes,those were the good old days

:happyfloa :happyfloa :happyfloa

:atom: Age is something they ask when you buy beer:atom:

LOL....

I remember when movies were 50 cents and full size candy bars were a nickel.......eeep:wow:

You could play anywhere in town with anyone you wanted and no one was in the least bit worried.

Ven

Concert tickets were between $7.50 and $8.50

Comic books were 49 cents

45s were 69 cents at Caldors

8-Tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drew;)

were those chips in a can called "Charlton Chips"?

I thought they were Charles Chips.....least those are the ones we had.....

charles.jpg

Ven

Umm...

Comics were 5 cents, then 10 cents....finally a quarter before Mom & Dad refused to buy 'em anymore and I had to start cutting lawns for my "fix"...lol!

TV was 3 or 4 channels, and then was color!

Politics were damn serious, and so was the threat of Communism

The World Series was played during the DAY...which is how it SHOULD be, and it was nearly a school holiday if your team was in it, because all the teachers wanted to see it too.

Converse was king of sneakers

Joe Namath was way cool

The space program was a common topic of discussion

Oh yeah, they were Charles chips, Ray. I stand corrected........oops, my mistake......I'm sitting:p

Drew;)

I remember cassette tapes being the big craze!!!

And then those walkmans came out, and EVERYBODY had one!!!

Good thread idea! I get the feeling that people will post multiple times here!

I remember when I was 6 years old and I was allowed to walk to the store for the first time ALL BY MYSELF to buy the cat a box of Purina cat chow. It was only like 70 cents for waht seemed to be enough food to feed that damn cat for a year! You could see the store from the house, but it still meant crossing "the woods" which was a section of land between the store and the houses that was about 3 acres in size. Trails were cut through it left and right and it was just about the most perfect palce in the world for a tomboy like me to spend a Saturday afternoon looking for glass coke bottles that I could turn in for deposit at the store for a nickel. WOW...check out THAT long sentence. LOL The store was painted the prettiest shade of ....well, I'm not sure, but I think they call it green. It looked like what Pepto Bismol would be if it were green! LOL Then there was the big bubble neon sign on the roof that proclaimed that this small establishment was proudly owned by BROOMES! It had one of those nifty pads at the door that held the trigger, so the door opened when you walked in. You never see those anymore, do ya? So, I recall my mom handing me a dollar bill...and standing ther pretending not to watch as I tookmy first walk alone from home. Sunny Autumn morning. I felt so brave. I felt so grownup. I felt so wise walking into that store (a combination gas station, laurdromat, grocery store) and knowing just where to find that box. Then to pocket the change and run like hell fire was chasing me back to my porch! Bravery went away when I walked out of the store and there were grownups there that weren't my folks! Funny how those memories still evoke emotions.

So, yep...things were so cool then! That and the penny bubblegum! :p
Joby

In Adam Sandler's grandma voice-"When I was a little girl, frankfurters only cost a nickle!!!"

Come to think of it that's what MY grandmother used to tell me!!!

The payphone was a dime, An automobile was under a grand!

Oh yes, A buisness owner knew that half the task of making money
was to supply the customer with a service that shouted integrity!!!
(I hope you read this, AOL!!!)

Heh...

When I really cared what was going to happen on Wrestling that week.

The bucket signs outside Kentucky Fried Chicken

The big M n Ms you could get in MOVIE HOUSES

And what the hell ever happened to the "Frito Bandito"??

Drew;)

I remember when there were no pop-up ads on the Internet. :p

Sorry, I'm only 26, give me a break! :D

Nice thread. I've learned a lot about things that were before my time! :)

I remember when Mario Bros 2 was considered a video gamers delicacy and if you had it you were the man.

Oh, to be 12 again...

Popeye cigarettes - they still have those?

Bag o' chips was just $0.25

Two bits would get ya a movie and a whuppin' at the local drive-in.

Selling Dinosaur Jawbreakers to 4th grade suckers for $0.25 a pop during recess.
(they were prohibited for many of the youngins due to their high sugar content...the fun part was seeing them gobble as many as they could during recess, and then see how many students were sent to the principal's office afterwards for misbehavin' during class.)

Getting tickled by girls was the norm during lunch hour recess...*sigh* :(

Sweet, ticklish feet were plentiful, and covered only by slip-"off" shoes and wafer-thin grey socks...*sigh*, again. :wow:

Cheers.:D

Nice start everyone!

Q...did you also have a spindle, or one of those metal racks, to hold your 45 rpm's? I still have one - even got some classic old 45's on it.

How about when kids didn't wear helmets to go bike riding? I never even saw a bike helmet until I was in college. And when you used to brake your bike, not with a hand brake, but by turning the pedals backward? More than once we came home scuffed up after tumbling off the bike doing that.

I regret to report that I am old enough to remember when the NY City subway fare was 15 cents (currrent fare: $1.50, and it may go up soon), and when a first class letter could be mailed for 3 cents (which was the size of the latest increase, from 34 to 37 cents).

JukeBox

Actually D, I still have a functioning jukebox, once the property of the Queen Mary cruise ship. It plays them sideways, so that the motion of the waves didn't make the record skip. It's an interesting old piece of nostalgia, but a bitch to keep in working condition, since I end up having to basically fabricate my own parts. Q

I remember auditorium day in the NY public schools, girls still had to wear blouses and skirts, boys had to wear ties!! Ties in public schools!

Hopscotch on the courtyard.

Running to the goodhumor guy in the city park for a .10 ice cream.

Going to Yankee Stadium on the D train with grandpa where Yankee stadium didn't break the bank to take the family.

Banana seat bikes and riding to the local carvel to get ice cream for the family on Friday nights, we'd all sit in front of the 1 black & white TV.

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end!

I remember when

Gasoline was 28 cents a gallon.

8 track tapes were the newest way to hear music.

You could get a new car for $3000.

You could actually sit on and ride a tonka toy.

amk714 said:
I remember when there were no pop-up ads on the Internet. :p

Sorry, I'm only 26, give me a break! :D

Nice thread. I've learned a lot about things that were before my time! :)

Oh, get over yourself amk-you're not that young!:rolleyes:

You were around in the late '70s and the '80s just like I was, unless you lived in a shoe we have TONS of nostalgia:

E.T. (the first time)
Neon clothing (good lord)
Knight Rider
PacMan and Centipede being a big deal on Atari and (gasp) Colecovision
Lame-yet-kick-ass Saturday morning cartoons like Kidd Video and the Smurfs
Menudo
New Edition
New Kids on the Block (I repeat, good lord)
Michael Jackson being attractive and only slightly unsettling
Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo ruling SNL
Gumby haircuts
Garbage Pail Kids cards
Friday Night Videos

and the list goes on. If you were a girl you'd remember Madonna fashion, Candies shoes with acid wash shorts, that freaky year after Batman came out when we all wore green and orange and purple at the same time ON PURPOSE...I found the '80's to be a scary time-junior high and high school and all the adolescent heinousness that goes with them-but I look back with a giggle and a sigh, I'll bet you do too:rolleyes:

Bella

PS

Does anybody else remember when Muhammed Ali and Mr. T had Saturday Morning cartoons? :wow: :cool2:

Q - a real jukebox! That's very cool.

Remember this one, from Sunday nights (Daumantas blows into his ocarina and sings a note to get in the right key):

"Mutual of Oma-HA
Is people...
You can count on when the goin's ro-o-ough."

Also, does anyone else briefly remember Burger King's mid-70's attempt to create their own Ronald McDonald: "I'm the marvelous magical Burger King, I can do most anything..."

I am a little too young to remember gas at $.50 a gallon or movies for a quarter, but the '80s have many memories for all of us.

I remember... Hammer Pants!!!

Daumantas said:
Also, does anyone else briefly remember Burger King's mid-70's attempt to create their own Ronald McDonald: "I'm the marvelous magical Burger King, I can do most anything..."

[/B]

YES. The Burger King was creepy as all hell, so was the bad guy-the Duke of Fries or something. The Duke was tickled by a robot on one of the commercials, I remember being annoyed with my own fascination :wow:

"Quick Burger King, Twist the Ring!" (shudder).

Bella

What's New

6/7/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for a wide range of clips from dozens and dozens of producers.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back