• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The World

Relent<

1st Level Yellow Feather
This thread is intended to function as a directory used to navigate and comprehend our charming little world. More to follow as it develops. A character directory will begin to be compiled in another thread. To be updated as necessary.
Aygomen Glenn
The World:
The dark ages have ended, following a great era of intellectual enlightenment. Art has become a common fixture in modern society, and the proliferation of education permeates the commonwealth. There still exist something like the remains of the manor system, creating various divisions of class and status. Person’s are still regarded by the wealth of their houses, and those without riches or bloodlines are little more than the descendants of the slaves and servants which preceded them. Though they are no longer bound to their lands, they are bound by their debts, and while there is no longer a need for turnip farming and squalor, the lower class occupies the station of sating the wealthy through whatever services or goods that the rich may find useful or amusing.
One such commodity, as the result of various social prerogatives, is the art, science, and practice of tickling. Due to certain poetic descriptions, ticklishness is perceived as a sensitivity to humanity as well as the pagan ethereal world which has only recently been ousted as the dominant ethical system--but has not fully disappeared into myth. Some of the more perverse see this as a means of seeking or imparting pleasure through the use of nervous stimulation, and abuse it as a loophole in committing various infidelities. Others view it as a scientific phenomenon, though science itself is relatively new. Though this ethereal perception of tickling is somewhat vague, unorthodox, and unprecedented, it is common among both the common and the upper class as a means of social analysis; in much the same way one might be viewed highly due to a refined cultural pallet, they may be so perceived based upon something so simple as the sensitivity of their hands and arms to touch. Softness and sensitivity are considered traits of proper bodily care, free of the strain and denaturing of ardour; but there is a pagan tradition which ties something as arbitrary as this to the other world.

Properties of the Ethereal:
This term may be divided into three categories; the exquisite, the heavenly, sedative.
The Exquisite refers to the dapper qualities of demure sensitivity as previously described. The wealthier population are known to spend copious amounts of money for the sole purpose of softening skin, and sensitizing nerve endings. This has created a fairly lucrative industry for salesmen and scientists: from the lowly snake-oil salesman to the ancient apothecary.
The Heavenly refers to the pseudo-religious sentiment of ticklishness to tie both man and beast to the Goddess Velyaria. In the unwritten traditions of the pagan faith, Velyaria was the goddess of passion and good fortune. There are many tales of the goddess, portraying her as both the protagonist of nature and the antagonist of man, but there is a common trait that seems to hold true regardless of wherever the tales of the goddess originate: one of Velyaria’s identifying features is an overwhelming sensitivity to touch. This feature of the Ethereal Fascination is more prevalent among the lower classes, particularly of the merchant and servant class.
The Sedative refers to the scientific fascination with the sensation and application of tickling. There is still very little known of the human body, despite the technological advancements and influence of the steam engine and refined metal work. Anatomy has been derived through the study of corpses, but little has yet to be discovered about the brain and nervous system. Due to the abhorrent practices of “scientists” in the dark ages, there has been the development of a scientific code of ethics, the most prevalent of which entails that one--regardless of their pursuits--may do no harm. It is for this reason that philosophers, researchers, and scholars the world over have taken a fascination with tickling for the purposes of sedation and research. Science permeates both wealthy and lower class society; the wealthier who can fund their own research often recruit protégées and assistants from whatever walk of life they find them available.

References
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_era
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_fashion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorianism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_morality#Religious_morality

(For those who are daring enough to dabble in paganism, for the purposes of this RP consider the “Goddess Velyaria” as the equivalent of “Queen Mab.”)

My own musings about the Glen itself had put a vision into my head of a more grown-up village district where more modern buildings have been built with all the trappings of a deep, Victorian setting: gas lamps, carriages, steamy alleys and the like. The sort of things you'd see in a production of Sherlock Holmes or "A Christmas Carol."

Around that you'd have a typical English countryside dotted here and there with the older estates, some of which perhaps dating back a couple hundred years. There could always be the possibility of some medieval tower or the like not far away. And, of course, the edge of town would have the train station which would be the only reliable method in or out of the Glen.

Would a visual map be a good idea, do you think?

well england is an island of sorts. i'm sure there would have to be a large lake somewhere, maybe on the other side of it the industrial areas could be situated beside a modest, squalorly shopping district full of various imports and eccentricities.

It was already mentioned that there's a river feeding a pond near the Rouxly estate, so it seems there's at least some waterway near to the Glen. Yet I'd wonder how much industry would be in a place such as called "Aygomen Glen." The name, to me, has a connotation of a quaint, out of the way place.

Well it could be a large lake; maybe even a neighboring town for the peasants to find work in. There will always be more serfs than noblemen; while the glenn could probably house most of them, they'd be hard pressed to find employment there.

Not to mention, we've made almost no mention of the booming industrial era this narrative is supposedly taking place in. Factories were popping up all over, right beside humble little family owned stores.

True, there has been no mention of the Industrial Revolution, but that may have more to do with the life of leisure of the characters than an omission from the setting. ;)

Since we're giving our impressions of the Glenn:

I pictured an out of the way village. A place sparsely populated, and few people knew about apart from the locals. New industries and technologies are just developing, and a lot of country peasants are moving to the 'city' to find better work. Now relatively normal (if Celtic) city folk have to deal with the strange pagan peasants and their ways, creating a schizophrenic town. Conditions for the working class would be quite hard unless they got plush positions with nobility. The nobility funds industry, pet projects, and generally wanders around oblivious.

There was a pond or small lake near the Rouxly House, and I pictured thick forests surrounding portions of the town. Ideal for hiding strange goings on. The 'industries' could be as mundane as paper making, or something exotic and interesting to the world. I imagined a district of a few manors blending into poorer housing, and a shoppes district in town. I agree with the Victorian-Dickens ideas Bella mentioned as well.

My character could fund such industries since he seems to be in the habit of loaning money. Right now it's more the merchant end of things but he could expand. With his family having a bank, there really isn't a limit as to what he can do. I think right now with the characters we have, we're more in the upperclass part of the Glenn. It might be a sparse small area with more working class but I've liked the direction it's taken thus far.

Since this takes place in a paralel world like ours, could it be possible for someone (me) to make up a altered version of his countrys (Swedens) history and create characters who comes from those lands?

What's New

5/8/2024
The final Vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now ongoing. Visit the GFA forum to vote!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back