• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Thoughts on the DC Cinematic Universe?

himynameisbrak

TMF Master
Growing up I was definitely more of a DC fan. I LOVED the old "Challenge of the Superfriends" TV show. I watched all the reruns on Cartoon Network (back when Cartoon Network actually had good shows ;) ). Green Lantern was always my favorite superhero.

Then as I got older I, of course, started watching all the superhero movies that existed. And, like most people, I liked the good ones and hated the bad ones. For example:

- Christopher Reeve's first Superman good, Superman IV bad
- Tim Burton's Batman movies good, Joel Schumacher's Batman movies bad

I was never really all that familiar with any Marvel superheroes. I vaguely knew of things like Captain America or the Fantastic Four, but I was never really a fan of all that. Then along comes 2008's Iron Man, and I was completely blown away by it. I saw it and was told to stay for the end credits. As soon as Samuel L. Jackson said, "I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative," I immediately started researching as to what that was. The more I learned, the more excited I got for this kind of potential. Then more Marvel movies started coming out, each one better than the last. I am now a full-blown Marvel aficionado. I LOVE all of the MCU movies. I feel that, as movie franchises go, it's the best there is.

As the MCU got more popular, obviously DC felt they needed to catch up. Being a childhood fan of the Superfriends, I was intrigued and excited by the possibility of a Justice League movie. So in 2013, I saw Man of Steel with an open mind. I was disappointed to say the least. Superman, the most hopeful and inspiring of all DC's superheroes, was reduced to a whiny, mopey, brooding mess. But after some thought, I thought it would be ok. It was just a misstep. Then I went and saw Batman v Superman, and it was a crushing disappointment. It was so disjointed, so all-over-the-map, too stuffed with ridiculous plotlines and pointless set-ups for future movies. It was too much for one movie to handle. It ruined Superman even more, and they wasted a fantastic plotline that could have been done much better later on. I'm not even bothering with Suicide Squad. After two horrible disappointments, I'm done with the DC Cinematic Universe. I'm sticking with Marvel from now on.

But now I put it to you, fellow movie-lovers and superhero-lovers of the TMF - What do you think is the problem with the DCCU? Why do you think they are struggling so much? What has Marvel done right that DC can't seem to grasp?

To me,it seems like the DC movies are too dark. I did not see the newer Batman movies. I really enjoyed Man of Steel. But then,look who bad guy was. :D Batman vs Superman was okay. I think Ben did a good job of playing Batman.

I was not a fan of the Luthor character. I have seen the trailers for Wonder Woman and the JLA movies. They may be good. They may suck. With Wonder Woman,I wonder why they chose World War I. She got her start in World War II.

I do wish to see the new Shazam movie. Black Adam will be the bad guy.

DC lost its sense of fun. Marvel got theirs back with Iron Man.
There were a few misfires, like ALL of the Fantastic Four movies, but by and large, they've kept the formula correct.
There's a chance with Justice League, but I don't think Ben Affleck has the charisma to pull it off.

To me, it feels like lately WB can't make a good superhero movie anymore, they freaked out over the length of BVS cut out key moments to appeal to kids and then when that back lashed, when the next movie was due, cut, re-shot, and basically made a separate attempt at a more fun and humor movie mixing and cutting into the directors more serious one. Like they lost their way. They don't know or understand what makes these movies anymore.

I don't like the direction it's going in. Ever since the writer of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns came into a position of authority in DC, things have gone steadily downhill from what I can tell. DC has a great deal of issues with portraying women terribly. From Starfire's de-evolution from a competent heroine to a slutty sex symbol to Wonder Woman's portrayal as a chauvinistic man hater in one of the Batman spin-offs to Batgirl having sex with Bruce during the Killing Joke, it's just been getting worse. Meanwhile, Marvel has had colossal successes in the form of Deadpool, the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and other movie titles. Marvel has also introduced a black Captain America, a Sunni-Muslim Ms. Marvel, an all female Avengers cast, and plenty of gay / lesbian heroes, heroines, and villains.

I'm a huge comic book fan and I am a lover of both Marvel AND DC. Marvel has a bit of an edge for me because it's the home of Spider-Man, my #1 favorite superhero.

The DC Extended Universe had been a bit...troublesome to say the least. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's completely bad. It just needs to improve. It seems the issue is really editing and pacing. It's like DC is so determined to catch up with the MCU's 8 years of success and planning by putting too much into their first 3 films. I understand they don't want to be so far behind, but they need to take their time and actually plan out the rest of their films. It seems they just want to put too much one film each.

Ex. Doomsday and the Death of Superman in only the second film? Come on, we haven't become so attached to the universe or Superman enough yet to do something that big.

But I see potential and there's a lot of positives:
I loved Man of Steel and I find Henry Cavill to be a pretty good Superman. Ben Affleck is an AWESOME Batman, and since he's confirmed to direct and star in the new solo Batman film, Ben is a fantastic director and I have faith it'll be a great success. Gal Gadot impressed me as Wonder Woman and I can't wait to see more. I enjoyed Suicide Squad, and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn = &#55357;&#56396; perfection! Will Smith is a good Deadshot. And Jared Leto intrigued me with this new take of the Joker. So curious to see what else he can bring with the character in a bigger part. Not to mention I'm SUPER excited to see Justice League! Hell yes!

So while the DCEU definitely needs some much needed improvement, I have nothing but faith that they eventually will. They just need to take a breath and not throw everything out so soon.

Yeah, I agree they're trying to do too much at to fast a pace.

Marvel's Avenger's spent years (and continues to spend years) setting up what's going to be the Infinity War with the Avengers (and virtually every other Marvel Superhero [except maybe the X-Men]) going up against Thanos.

DC doesn't seem to be willing to make that same commitment in terms of quality with their films.

Don't get me wrong, I love the animated films. Justice League: War and it's sequel were quite good and I absolutely LOVED Flashpoint Paradox.

Also, I hope they'll issue a 2nd Season for Young Justice. I just hope things go a bit better via their movies. Ben proved surprisingly capable in his portrayal of Batman and Wonder Woman's actress was decent I guess.

Anywho, we'll see how both Marvel and DC go in the next few years.

What's New

5/10/2024
Our Welcome forum has a place for you to introduce yourself. Say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back