• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

TICKLE MACHINE: What'd work best?...

Slaver123

TMF Master
Got plenty of ideas for how a tickle machine could work. Built some rudimentary gadgets that didn't work too well :-(
I wanna get a serious discussion going (if there already is one, I'm sure someone'll let me know) share ideas, plans etc with the goal in mind of actually building a tickle machine that really works.

Got lotsa questions too, for ex-
Which'd be cheaper or more practical; Lego Mindstorms or buying tons of individual gears and motors from Radio Shack?

Does there need to be a microprocesser, or can varied unpredictable movements be achieved thru mechanical means? (gears etc)

Can a mechanical hand really tickle, or just annoy?

Yeah, that thread has established 3 things:

1) People'd use it if it existed
2) One might exist
3) Let's have a party!

Not very helpful. Guess I'm on my own with this like everything else...

No,not might exist it DOES exist

I think this thread's more of a "help Slaver build his own laugh-machine" thing than the more general "discuss the very idea of tickling machines" idea of the other thread.

Slaver, I'd say if you wanna go for quality and long-lasting, you might want to tinker with non-lego alternatives. x) My thinking is that if you somehow find one that hits it just right, there might be a demand for it, and legos just won't cut it. It's a business opportunity!

As far as "true" unpredictability... I'm no engineer or technician, but I don't think a random automation can be obtained without some sort of a program that can command action and duration. Without that, there always be some sort of pattern. Though if there was some way you could trigger certain actions from the way the victim moved...? Like a pulley system or something? Sounds complicated, but short of leashing your dog to a bunch of levers, the only other way is through a computer (which shouldn't be all that hard to learn, if you have the time and resources).

And if you just so happen to come across a random mechanical hand that works...throw it into the nearest smelting pit you can find. Trust me, you may just save the human race. ;) Besides that, if you're thinking of using mechanical hands, might as well go all-out with the tickle machine. I guess it depends on what sort of material you use as the "fingers," as well as how well you control the pressure upon skin and all that stuff.

This thread is just interesting enough to give rise to my first ever post.

If I were you Slaver, and God willing I will be some day ;), I would start by breaking the tickle-machine concept down into the mechanical and robotic (computer) elements. Firstly, what methods of tickling could a machine like this use?

Mechanical hand: Maybe a little too complex to be effective with any degree of erratic motion. Moving the hand over the body would be virtually impossible without laser guiding or some other high-tech solution, so it would need to remain stationary. Perhaps varying the speed of the fingers as they do a simple pass over the skin. You could also switch the order in which the fingers move, starting from pinky to pointer then going backwards then mixing it up some more.

Stroking device: Something with feathers or a back-scratcher I imagine would work best, but anything along those lines. I've never found feathers to be all that effective personally, but "different strokes for different folks". Since this is a linear movement it would be easy to program but again, erratic behaviour would be difficult to emulate. If it were localized to a relatively flat area of skin it might be able to move around more whilst still maintaining physical contact.

Poking\prodding device: I think this would be easiest, as you'd only need a rubber stopper on the end of a rod attached to a linear actuator or whatever it is you call it. My imagination exceeds my education. You could easily vary prodding force as well as speed over areas like the ribs and underarms. Even the feet and legs might be susceptible.

Rotary device: Just a brush attached to a spinning thingy. I'm sure I don't have to describe it we've all seen the idea in tickling artwork and I'm sure we've all dreamed of its possible real-life application. A random event generator triggers it to rotate faster or slower and maybe it can move slightly closer or further from the body.

Scrubbing\rubbing device: I imagine a brush attached quite firmly to the body, even strapped particularly to an area such as the feet, which follows a linear path back and forth across that area. Variations would be in speed, again. You could use brushes with different levels of rigidness in their uh.. brush fibres? Dammit I can't even remember the word for them now.

Vibrating device: An electric toothbrush placed between every toe for starters. I think this might be the easiest to replicate. Can someone tell me how I might be able to cannibalize the vibrating mechanism from my Xbox controllers? :lol You could vary the strength of the vibration as well as the motions. In fact you could combine the vibrator with a number of the other simpler devices, so they can either scrub or poke.

String-pulling device: Along the same vein as pulling string between the victim's toes. Starting to run out of ideas methinks... Can't do anything too complicated though. Most of the tickling machine artwork I have involves mechanical hands.

Squeezing device: This could be a mechanical hand or any sort of clamp that applies gentle pressure to a sensitive area, possible toes, ribs, thighs or hips. With variations in strength and frequency of change (obviously within limits that prevent physical harm to the victim) I believe this could prove to be quite effective at producing random results.

For these devices to be most effective, the victim would have to be almost entirely immobilized, or the device would have to be attached to the body.

Concerning the robotic aspect, the programming I imagine would be incredibly easy if you know what you're doing. For each action that can be varied (strength of a vibration, speed of movement etc.) you would have a program that randomly spits out a number within a predefined range. It then tests the current value of the device then makes the necessary changes (+ or -) to reach the new value. You would also need global random generators to determine which values are changed and when. With a little calibration to find a reasonable amount of "randomness", bingo! You have yourself a tickle machine. Although I think it would technically be a tickle robot. That depends on whether or not robots are defined as having mechanisms that respond to external stimuli. Now that would be a challenge.

With some research into self-bondage methods I've come across a few simple, reliable timing mechanisms that one could be use to effectively restrain oneself without relying on the machine or any other system prone to unexpected failure.

You could use any restraint on your legs and body that can only be undone using your hands, then finally handcuff yourself to a bedpost or any other solid object with your hands either together or apart. The key is tied to a string suspended from the ceiling at least long enough to reach the floor where your hand is, but not so long that it might end up out of reach once completely tense (i.e. if stretched from ceiling to floor it would be perfectly straight with little room to move). This would mean you could be safe to assume that gravity will keep the key close to where it needs to be. Also make sure there are no obstructions between the key and the floor.

Here's the clever part: Wind up part of the string, submerge it in water and then freeze it. When you hang the key from the roof it won't reach the ground, but once the ice melts it will fall right into your hand. No chance of mechanical or computer failure. Just make sure the key isn't frozen in the ice because I don't know how that might affect the metal. You should test it out a few times as well to work out all the kinks. Finally, several keys would be better than one. You can never have too many fail-safes.

This would give you that truly "helpless" feeling of not being able to stop the machine, while knowing that there's no chance you'll get trapped indefinitely. I don't think I'd ever trust my life to a computer knowing how easily and how often they can malfunction.

Last edited:
Reading through the other thread on this topic, seeing the enormous demand for a machine like this but virtually no intent to really build one, is making want to start working on blueprints for a prototype right now. Trouble is I'm not an engineer or a mechanic and my experience with computer programming is limited to some Visual Basic and Game Maker Pro :lol

Despite that, I do believe a "do-it-yourself-tickle-machine" is entirely possible for the average Joe and Jane. And I'm completely with Slaver on this one; there's plenty of discussion about wanting this machine when there should be more on designing and building it. There are entire communities out there practicing self-bondage safely so we know that aspect can be easily dealt with, the programming would require nothing special (imagine a new area on the forum where you can share tickle programs), and the mechanical difficulties could very likely be overcome if someone with just a little experience in engineering or robotics, even as a hobby, were to pick this project up.

So are all these people I see sticking their hands up, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the latest and greatest in ticklenology prepared to make this work? With all our minds together I am positive we can come up with something a little better than Lego Mindstorm ticklebots.

Now I can't get the idea out of my head. I think I'll start working on schematics and research the simple mechanical components needed to make this thing tonight. Think about it, no one's going to build this thing with the intention of making money out of it. The tickle community is too small for it to be worth anyone's while, so we're the only people who are interested enough in its construction. Maybe the Lego Mindstorm thing was a good place to start. Perhaps the person who brought that thing up could mention if there's anything we could learn from that and adapt it into something on a larger scale.

Obviously this would take a lot of work, and it'd probably be expensive to get all the necessary parts. But considering people will spend thousands of dollars on musical instruments that sit around going unplayed, or even more on cars that go faster than we'll ever drive, isn't the holy grail of many of our tickle fantasies worth the time, effort and mullah?

Tickle Machine

Yes We Can

Oh and you know a little support and enthusiasm here and there might be nice too :) Why is it I'm the only one still posting in this thread?

LOVE the ideas you guys have suggested!

A mechanical hand really isn't all that hard to build (soimething with 5 moving fingers that looks like a hand. If you want it to be able to lift a raw egg without breaking it or play a violin, well that's another matter)

Intense full-body long-duration tickling is VERY complicated.

Let's take the simplest idea; your feet are bound in stocks, your soles stretched and immobile and a puppet hand is tickling them. How long will the same motion actually work? Even real human fingers using the same motion on the same spot won't tickle after a short time, it has to be varied. I could buy a toy robot arm tomorrow (for $50, working replica of auto-assembly line arms) and have it weild a feather duster; maybe it would work for a few minutes.

My favorite drawing in the whole world is this site's banner of the girl wriggling under the revolving feathers; my first attempted tickle machine (built about 6 years ago) was eerily similar to that; but it had NO EFFECT on me.

But then I'm a tough nut to crack. Tickling is psychological; my cousin would always laugh hysterically before your fingers even touched him; if he were in the rotary-feather device he'd be howling before you even switched it on, whereas I'd probably sit there unaffected by the same machine going at full steam.

I don't doubt what QueenBeeBeeMari says, but I'd really like to know what sort of device it is.

What I'm working on first is just a sole-tickler. That seems the simplest starting point, something that will tickle immobilized feet. (maybe an underarm-machine would work better?) I've heard people use Lego for prototypes, then build the real thing from scratch later. Years ago I devised a system of gears that would produce unpredictable movements- hafta dig that up.

I think we're all in the early 'brainstorming' phase here.....

Jabjab, as far as profit, I'd drop $1000 on a tickle machine right this minute if I knew it could really do the trick
(may not sound like all that much money to you, but let me put it in perspective; I'm a total miser when it comes to spending on myself- I routinely agonize over a $20 videogame. If I find 4 good books at the bookstore, I put 2 back. I drink water when I go out to eat rather than pay for a drink) you wouldn't sell millions of tickle machines, but even people like me would pay a fair price for one.

I don't doubt we'd all be willing to shell out for such a device. Willing, though perhaps not able. My general thoughts on how a tickle machine would produce enough variety to keep a lee "on their toes" would be to focus on quantity of tickling over quality. A tickling machine does offer one undeniable advantage over a single ler, and that is the ability to tickle multiple areas on the body at once. My gut feeling here is that variations in speed and intensity of each tickling module (trademarking that term) would have a similar effect to tickling one area and alternating techniques regularly.

Having looked at some mechanical component suppliers on the internet I just realized I have no idea how to shop for this sort of thing :lol But off the top of my head I think we'd need to focus on linear actuators for the "arms" (two together could perform 2-dimensional movements) and some kind of system to program those movements. Next time I watch Mythbusters I'll keep a close eye on Grant and his robots. He seems to come up with rigs to do relatively complex tasks like driving vehicles in next to no time.

$1000 would get you 20 of those mechanical hands. That's the equivalent of 10 ticklers working on your body full-time. I think variety in tools would be more effective though, which fortunately should mean lower cost.

Oh and for the record, I'm a 20 year old university student who just blew a ton of money on some rather expensive musical equipment, so believe me when I say I feel you on the financial front.

Oh and syringes. We'll need syringes.

Before you look at me funny I'm talking about the ones without the needles that just squirt liquid. I hear grape-seed oil is an excellent lubricant and can be used for any part of the body, including internally.

i love how u guys r taking this WAAAAAY out of context. i mean sure, if u want to build an all body tickling machine that can tickle u while ur tied to a bed or sumthin, yeah, i can see where ur coming from. but if u just want to achieve the feeling of being tied and tickled without having another person, go out to the store, buy 1 of those multi-nozzle handheld shower heads, rig it up a certain way in the shower, and turn it on. varying the temperature before u cuff urself up can add to the torment ( i love making the water really hot and being burned as well ) ^_^

Out of context? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. For me, at least, the idea behind this machine would be to experience tickling is outside the control of the person using it. There is no way you could recreate that kind of feeling with the rig you are suggesting, although your use of water intrigues me... Unfortunately we have very strict water restrictions in Australia so I won't be able to implement anything of the sort.

The purpose of a device like this would be to create a possibly torturous tickling experience. If that doesn't appeal to you then I don't think you'll get much from this whole topic. But to me, and I'm guessing to Slaver, this kind of thing just might be the most awesome invention in the history of the universe. To be honest I'm surprised you don't get where we're coming from.

I've done some quick and very general schematics along with some programming notes. It was meant to be as simple as possible but even reading my own stuff back to me sound like jibberish :lol I'm hoping that people with programming experience will understand what I'm getting at and hopefully provide some feedback. At the very least I'm pretty sure they make logical sense.

oh believe me, i fully understand what ur getting at, as i too have had these thoughts, including the primative lego mindstorms ideas....i was merely suggesting a way to tickle oneself whilst tied up/cuffed up that is ALOT simpler than what yall were talking about. by all means, create the worlds first TRUE tickle torture machine.....and ill be a happy test subject ^_^

That's super! Provided you're prepared to buy and assemble the parts once we have a working design. Even if I don't get the chance to build one of these myself for some years, which will probably be the case, I am absolutely set on helping to design one that works and I would love to get feedback from people who can put it together themselves. I know it's going to be difficult and ludicrously complicated for a home project but if it works, can you really say it wouldn't be worth the effort?

That's super! Provided you're prepared to buy and assemble the parts once we have a working design. Even if I don't get the chance to build one of these myself for some years, which will probably be the case, I am absolutely set on helping to design one that works and I would love to get feedback from people who can put it together themselves. I know it's going to be difficult and ludicrously complicated for a home project but if it works, can you really say it wouldn't be worth the effort?

it absolutely would be worth the effort. im lacking the money to have any finacial part in it though, unfortunately

I wouldn't worry. Start saving now and you'll be able to afford 10 by the time we've got blueprints :lol

Ok time I got some sleep. People, any and all suggestions and welcomed and encouraged.

heh, i doubt that. the way my job sitch is going, ill b lucky to afford a $2000 car within the next year

I'm starting to think we need a more organized way of getting ideas down. The thing I've been mulling over lately is general structure of the machine. My original plan was that each module would be connected to the computer or hub separately so that each one can be arranged in any way. This raises the issue of stability as the modules are just arms basically and aren't designed to stand up on their own. At this point I'm thinking a rack of metal bars with holes punched into them could run underneath the user (you could put a mattress on it to avoid hurting yourself) so that you can screw each module into one of the slots on the rack. It would be a lot more convenient if it could be put together then taken apart at will in case someone accidentally stumbles across it and starts asking questions :lol

A simpler solution might be to give each module a weighted stand. If the user is bound effectively and completely immobile, there wouldn't be any risk of them knocking a module over accidentally (or on purpose ;)). Working out how the modules can or ought to be positioned needs to be taken into account now since it may restrict how they can be designed and implemented. Modules strapped to the user's body wouldn't be as much as a problem I would think.

We're also going to need some kind of interface that will connect the computer to the mechanical components of the device. Anyone know where to look for something like that?

My general thoughts on how a tickle machine would produce enough variety to keep a lee "on their toes" would be to focus on quantity of tickling over quality. A tickling machine does offer one undeniable advantage over a single ler, and that is the ability to tickle multiple areas on the body at once. .

But off the top of my head I think we'd need to focus on linear actuators for the "arms" (two together could perform 2-dimensional movements) and some kind of system to program those movements. .

Linear Actuators are those screw-things they use for animatronics, right? I think between you me and Vmandude we're REALLY onto something.

You're absolutely right about "quantity"; you could have 'hands' fastened all around the bedframe, or mounted on the walls, ready to suprise parts of your body in rapid succession, or focus on one region, or anywhere in between.

And Vmandude's right too; simplicity is the key. I always say the fewer moving parts the better. If there was a SIMPLE mechanism used over and over, like many single "fingers", they'd be more reliable than full-blown mechanical hands. It could all be orchestrated from a microchip.

And GET THIS idea: I'm a musician, too, familiar with MIDI and automation; suppose you had someone work you over with the tickle device via remote control; it's no big deal for a computer to record and "replay" the session again later, like the way a MIDI sequencer stores your every note and even controller moves (like joysticks, knobs, mod wheels, aftertouch or ribbon control) So expert ticklers could upload samples of what their sessions on the machine are like!

But that's getting ahead....Right now we need at least one mechanism that can produce a TRUE tickling sensation (heavy tickling) on at least one part of the body.

(I think the psychological drama of being strapped into some diabolical-looking device would be enough for most people, whether it worked all that well or not- but I need it to really work)

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back