• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

To Fanfic or not to Fanfic.

Sablesword

TMF Master
I have to say that I really don't see the attraction of fan fiction (or fan art). I can see that it's popular - really really popular.

But when I write and draw, creating my own characters and backgrounds is the FUN part. So why should I work on things where other people got to do the fun part, while I'm left doing only the bits that are hard work?

And when it comes to reading fan fiction, somehow I can only enjoy it if it's really good. As in professional author writing a media tie-in good. No, I lie - it's got to be better than that. The writing quality has got to be better than most of the stuff found in the local bookstore, or I just can't get into it.

And yet - fan fiction and fan art is very popular. It has to have something going for it. Something I can't see. Something I just don't get. Some attraction I just don't share. Can anyone explain what it is?

The handy thing about fan fiction/fan art is a pre-existing context for which the nakesake fans will already feel an affinity, and it can be fun to try and add to, modify or else just piss about with that context.

For the lazy and attention seeking amongst us, (myself included of course), fan fiction is far easier to write because there's less pesky contextual information and character development to sort out. Furthermore, reviews and responces are more likely because fans of whatever the fan fiction/art is about are more likely to be drawn to relating stuff. It's far harder to get people to care about completely original stuff, ultimately more rewarding of course, but more difficult nontheless.

Trouble is, for every talented person who wishes to pay homage or explore new ideas with the pre-existing world of what they're a fan of, there are about thirty buzzing wretches transcribing their gramatically questionable wet dreams of doom.

There's probably more to be said on the subject, but this is all that springs to mind for now.

But, don't you run a MAJOR risk of taking the character(s) in directions that the show wouldn't go, or worse, the fans detest saying that 'there is no (@#(* way that (insert character(s)) would do that!!!"

To me, it would be even more difficult, since you have to stay in the strict realm of the character's fictional universe.

For the lazy and attention seeking amongst us, (myself included of course), fan fiction is far easier to write because there's less pesky contextual information and character development to sort out.

That's what I don't get: For me, working out that "contextual information and character development" isn't "pesky" - that's the FUN part! What's pesky and boring and hard work is working out a plot and writing all the stuff down.

So the idea of prefering to write fan fiction strikes me as backward: Like telling a child "If you eat your vegetables, you won't have to eat your dessert."

That's what I don't get: For me, working out that "contextual information and character development" isn't "pesky" - that's the FUN part! What's pesky and boring and hard work is working out a plot and writing all the stuff down.

So the idea of prefering to write fan fiction strikes me as backward: Like telling a child "If you eat your vegetables, you won't have to eat your dessert."

Well I was lumping the whole lot into a pesky frame. Ideas are the easy bit, and the bit that usually generates enthusiasm. What follows is what normally results in frustration and discarded word documents clogging up the My Documents folder.

At the end of the day I think the answer to your question boils down to a matter of personal preference. Not everyone is as commited a writer as you or I and their literary ambitions extend no further than wanting to see their favourite characters from whatever doing some rather questionable things with a rake and a box of chillies... or whatnot.

But, don't you run a MAJOR risk of taking the character(s) in directions that the show wouldn't go, or worse, the fans detest saying that 'there is no (@#(* way that (insert character(s)) would do that!!!"

I think it's easier than it seems to avoid that, you just need to keep some contextual awareness about you.

Fan fiction remains story writing ultimately, and just like you wouldn't write original characters in an everyday-world context growing six new eyes and swatting people with a plunger, nor would you have say Batman...err... doing some rather questionable things with a rake and a box of chillies.

As someone who got his start writing fan fiction, allow me to throw my hat into the ring.

Let me be frank - it can be really hard to take fan fiction seriously. Believe me, I spent a LOT of time on fanfiction.net as a child. The main problem is the fact that "90% of everything is crap" is as true as can get when it comes to fan fiction. That's because of the fact that of all the things someone can do, fan fiction usually is seen as the "easiest". The characters are all there for you and all computers come with some form of word processor, meaning literally anyone can try their hand at fan fiction, and they usually do. Lots of the time, since the person has no formal training or practice at writing, the result isn't pretty.

However, the point of the thread isn't "why is there no good fan fiction" (though there is), it's "what is the appeal of fan fiction", and that question is a lot easier to answer. For a lot of people, it's fun to put the characters you love and are familiar with in situations that the original creators never thought of. To me, fan fiction is a chance to say "What if" in regards to the original's plot, or to investigate character personalities and focus on characters untouched by the original.

Let's take an example from my own personal life. I love Final Fantasy. I think the series, as a whole, is great. I'm at my happiest when playing a good, enjoyable Final Fantasy game. I'm also a writer. I love to write, I think it's a great experience, and I'm also at my happiest when writing. In this case, it's really a "you got my chocolate in your peanut butter" scenario. Two great tastes that taste great together. But it also gives me a chance to mess with character interactions I'd rather see that the original plot doesn't focus on. That's why when I write pairing fics, I tend to focus on more oddball pairings, like Vincent/Yuffie, Zell/Selphie, or Vivi/Eiko. They haven't been as "traveled", and it's fun to look for evidence or even just imagine the two characters together.

You have a problem with working with fleshed-out, created characters because you feel world-building and characterization is the "fun part". That can be true. But some people just want to write. Some people can't really come up with good original characters, but write decent situations or dialogue. Fan fiction gives them a chance. Also, fan fiction doesn't totally forgo characterization itself. A good writer doesn't use fan fiction to ignore that kind of thing. When it comes to fan fiction, the questions shouldn't be "What kind of character can I make for this", and more "What would this character do in this situation". Not every fanfic writer worries about that kind of thing, but the good ones do, and it will show. Writing a fanfic that keeps the characters believable and in-character is the pride and joy of a fanfic writer, and it's just as rewarding as writing original stuff.

I also have to say I think you're being a little unfair to fanfic writers. People writing fan fiction are rarely published-author quality, though a select few might be hoping to reach that level (myself included). They're usually just fans who want to try something new with the series, and sometimes it results in some enjoyable work.

And sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it really doesn't. But you take the bad with the good in life.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, pretty much all of this applies to fanart as well, except as a visual medium. There's a lot of amusing mental images I've had about characters I like that I'd love to actually see. Like one I just thought of, Kefka in a tuxedo. That'd be awesome to see. Essentially, it's the same appeal for both: seeing things happen in your favorite series you wouldn't normally get to see.

Last edited:
While I always claim that original works and characters are way better than fanfics, I also claim that they (fanfics) are a great way to start writing something new, for example a fetish story.

When I was asked by a friend of mine about how they should get into tickle-writing, the first thing I recommended was to try and write a fanfic. That is also how I started out, by writing a Final Fantasy X-2 fanfic. Back then, I already had several years of experience in writing my original stuff, non-fetish, and I wanted to try my hand at fetish stories.

Why did I choose a fanfic?

Because with fanfic, I had a created set of characters, and could more easily devote myself to the part that is still new for me: the tickling itself. I knew the characters well, just had to 'tweak' their personalities a bit to include a tickling fetish, and I had the cast. All that remained were the plot and the actual tickling, the plot being the easy part at the time (for me, all of the aspects of writing are fun: thinking up characters, making the plot, thinking of methods of tickling...). Then, as I got comfortable with the tickling through those first three stories, I began to move on to original characters and story-lines. Later I did write a few fanfics as requests from some members, and am in the process of writing one more (again a request), but all in all, I prefer an original work at all times.

So, in my opinion, fanfics are great for starting the tickle writing. Later on, it's original all the way.

While I always claim that original works and characters are way better than fanfics, I also claim that they (fanfics) are a great way to start writing something new, for example a fetish story.

I disagree twice. Fanfics can be really really good. My problem is that a piece of fanfict has to be superior for me to like it as much as original-character-and-setting fiction.

(Example: Timothy Zahn's "Hand of Thawn" triology. It's basically Star Wars fanfic - but it's superlatively good fanfic. It's not just professional-quality, but top-notch professional quality.)

Second, I can't agree that they're a good way to start. For many people they're a trap - it looks like a great way to start but... Even for writers where it isn't a trap, they can get most of the advantages and shed most of the disadvantages by copying the characters & setting, in a way traditionally described as "filing off the serial numbers and slapping on a new coat of paint."

If you want to do the real and true fanfic, you can turn your hand to it after you have some experience under your belt. Both you and the fanfic will be better for it. (IMHO - In My Horribly-biased Opinion)

I am a huge advocate of fanfiction. I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't, I've written around 80 fanfics (only 60 of which are present on my FF.net profile). It is a thrill like no other to take characters you love and take them further than the show ever got a chance to, to break down the barriers that the very nature of television prevents the show from going.

Let's take for example my biggest fandom, and one of the biggest influences on my life, The Powerpuff Girls. I love this show, I love these characters, I love everything about it except the fandom. The fandom is just a rotting cake hole of festering maggots.

Now, I've written a good 50+ fanfics for the Powerpuff Girls. I've got a reputation, I've got notoriety, I've got experience. I know what I'm talking about when I talk about The Powerpuff Girls, and no one in the fandom who knows me will disagree. My favorite thing is just how deep the characters really are...but the very nature of being a Y7 cartoon prevents them from going in a direction that could really "test the waters" of their characters.

<What was previously here was way too long and I won't get into it. We'll skip ahead>

Now, yes there is a trap. I would like to think I'm a good enough writer that, with the proper incentive and drive, I can get out of that trap. I've already done things with this show that are so esoteric that I may have effectively created an entirely new universe.

But it can provide two things that I think budding writers need. It can help you learn characterization. Canon-Nazi's (such as myself) can flambe you until you learn to keep these defined characters "in-character". That translates really well to creating your own characters, and not making them say...Bella where she has no character whatsoever, and the world around her realizes this and can never identify her correctly (selfless? mature? seriously, have they paid any attention?).

If you get into the bigger projects, it can help with general plot building. I can safely say that 14 year old me writing "Kefka vs the Powerpuff Girls" would have never dreamed of the kind of scope that 20 year old me has envisioned with "Map of the Problematique" which is estimated at over 200 chapters with four parts and delving into psychological/social commentary.

But as you said, it's easy to become complacent. I don't regret a single fanfic I wrote, and I will always support writing fanfiction. Maybe some people don't want to take the next step, but still enjoy writing? I'm all for having an outlet for creative ideas where the drive to world-build is lacking.

Really, I think it's the perfect building block, like playing Guitar Hero on Hard until you can FC most songs...assuming you have the will and drive to say one day "Okay, I'm ready to move up to Expert".

tl;dr: There are key elements to writing that are much easier to learn in writing fanfiction. Once those elements are learned and practiced, IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WRITING, it is best to move on to original fiction.

Edit:

I would like to say that you're undermining the "serious" fanfiction writers by saying that writing fanfiction is akin to simply slapping on a new coat of paint. The worst fanfic writers can't even get the canon right. Average fanfic writers...probably do what you're saying. But the ones who are really passionate do more than just put on a new coat of paint on an old house. They completely re-design the house, adding new floors, more rooms, changing the carpet, getting new furniture, while still keeping it the same house.

To do fanfiction right, it's not as easy as you make it out to be. To do it wrong or mediocre, then yes I'll agree.

Last edited:
I don't agree that fan-fic teaches characterization. It doesn't teach characterization any more than a close/critical reading or viewing of any text would. Perhaps it enables one to do that, or rather is required for decent fan fiction, but the act of writing a fan fic does not necessarily imply that that close/critical reading/viewing occurred, so I don't agree with that statement.

Yes, practice is practice, and practice tends to improve one's ability to do something. But, again, this is not specific to fan fiction writing; rather, this can be said of all writing. Maybe fan fiction is more apt to practice as it can be simpler and quicker, but again that is not a universal truth.

What are these key elements that can be learned through fan fiction?

To write any fan fiction is easier than to write an original piece, but it requires different skills. As I said, without the ability to critically analyze a text or closely observe a text, you're not going to be able to write a very good piece of fan-fic. Observation is a skill that can be taught fairly easily; skill cannot, and skill is the lone basis for a piece of creative and unique fiction.

As for the house metaphor... hm. But it's still the same house. You can change it all you want, for good or for bad, but it's still the same house, and there are thousands more like it. Rather than have that same house, I'd rather create a unique one that stands alone and requires no outside whats its. The thing with knowing the show. Need to end this and do something.

Etc.

After putting that up and thinking about what I said, I would almost say that the two forms are not comparable, despite how much it would seem they are. That is, fanfiction writing and normal writing.

It's like comparing screen play writing and novel writing to each other. Sure, they're both writing... but...

Etc.

After putting that up and thinking about what I said, I would almost say that the two forms are not comparable, despite how much it would seem they are. That is, fanfiction writing and normal writing.

It's like comparing screen play writing and novel writing to each other. Sure, they're both writing... but...

Etc.

I respect your opinion, but you seem just a tad elitist, though it could easily be that I'm just defensive...the vibes I'm getting from you are to writing what "Play a real guitar" is to Guitar Hero.

For some people, the latter is just more fun. I wouldn't say one is inherently "weaker" than the other, they're both ways to enjoy the same thing: writing. Just as guitar and Guitar Hero are both ways to enjoy the same thing: music.

I didn't say it in a negative light, but I would say that Guitar Hero is not an equivalent to playing a guitar. They aren't even close.

I'm trying to draw a distinction that would set fan-fic in it's own category under the subset of writing much like Guitar Hero would be placed as a subset of music. Yes, it's writing, but it doesn't have as much in common with the typical short story as you would initially think, thus my statement. And I think it fits, which isn't to say I'm belittling one or the other. Take Guitar Hero; it certainly could teach you about chords, harmony, or even start you on finger movements (that's a stretch but it fits), but it's not going to teach you how to play a real guitar. Fan-fic writing is the same; if you ONLY use the tools you would obtain from Fan-fic writing I think you would find yourself incapable of writing a true, original piece of fiction. I think the transition, if you started with Fan-fic, would look something like...

Fan-fic > semi original fiction, where you're borrowing characteristics, personalities, etc. from some third party but changing small amounts so that it appears original > true original fan fic. There's probably more to it than that, but I don't think you can jump straight from one to the other with the skills you learn from fan fic, which revolve highly around observation and mimicry (not debasing; stating). Maybe fan-fic can, and it probably does, also serve as the middle grounds there at times.

Did that make more sense? Edit: Rather, did that seem less elitist? For what its worth, I think the skills learned by doing fan-fic are much more important to real life situations than the ones required to do a short story. That is to say, observation/thorough research is more important than creativity outside of the writing world (ignore the arts for a second).

Well, verbosity is fair game between the two. I wouldn't say that that is learned from either one or the other, and I also think that verbosity has a large amount to do with what we consider skill. Hm. Rambling. That was a long edit!

Etc.

Last edited:
Edit:

I would like to say that you're undermining the "serious" fanfiction writers by saying that writing fanfiction is akin to simply slapping on a new coat of paint. The worst fanfic writers can't even get the canon right. Average fanfic writers...probably do what you're saying. But the ones who are really passionate do more than just put on a new coat of paint on an old house. They completely re-design the house, adding new floors, more rooms, changing the carpet, getting new furniture, while still keeping it the same house.

You missed the metaphor. "File off the serial numbers and slap on a new coat of paint" isn't about writing straight fan fiction, but rather about changing it to something that isn't quite fan fiction any more. Something that dodges most of the drawbacks of writing fanfic while keeping many of the advantages.

And it's not even my own metaphor, but a common expression for a technique sometimes used by professional authors. As in professional authors whose books are sold by big bookstore chains and sometimes are even found on the bestseller lists. So it's no insult to a fanfic writer to suggest that he try that technique as an alternative to writing straight-up fanfic. It's also no insult to straight-up fanfic, because the technique doesn't refer to writing straight-up fanfic.

To do fanfiction right, it's not as easy as you make it out to be. To do it wrong or mediocre, then yes I'll agree.

Actually that's my point: It's hard to do fanfic well, although easy to do it badly. It's a trap because it looks easy to do, but is actually only easy to do poorly. And while there are good reasons for writing fanfic, "because it's a good way for beginners to get started writing" is NOT one of them.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with doing a fanfic tickling piece. We all have certain charactors or persons who we would love to see tickle tortured. If a person wants to write about that particuler charactor, there is nothing wrong with that. Will they be able to get that charactors personality and style down right? Maybe, maybe not. The important thing is that they had fun writing it. If the person reading it doesn't like it, then they can look elsewhere for other tickling fiction.

I honestly prefer fanfic art over fanfic writing. It really makes me wish I had some artistic ability in that area.

Etc~

What's New

5/31/2024
The TMF Chat Room is always busy. Stop in and see who is about!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back