• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

University forces fat students to take fitness class to graduate

mabus

1st Level Green Feather
A university is requiring overweight students to take a fitness class in order to graduate... I think it's hilarious.

I honestly don't see why they're so riled up. People in America have handed over so much responsibility to the government and those in power, haven't stood up to defend their neighbors when those neighbor's rights were trampled on, and even defended this nanny state, why get riled up when they tell you you're fat as a house, and either work out or don't graduate from a university YOU paid to attend?

Pa. university students upset about fitness class
By KATHY MATHESON
NOvember 20, 2009

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A Pennsylvania university's requirement that overweight undergraduates take a fitness course to receive their degrees has raised the hackles of students and the eyebrows of health and legal experts.

Officials at historically black Lincoln University said Friday that the school is simply concerned about high rates of obesity and diabetes, especially in the African-American community.

"We know we're in the midst of an obesity epidemic," said James L. DeBoy, chairman of Lincoln's department of health, physical education and recreation. "We have an obligation to address this head on, knowing full well there's going to be some fallout."

The fallout began this week on Lincoln's campus about 45 miles southwest of Philadelphia, where seniors - the first class affected by the mandate - began realizing their last chance to take the class would be this spring.

Tiana Lawson, a 21-year-old senior, wrote in this week's edition of The Lincolnian, the student newspaper, that she "didn't come to Lincoln to be told that my weight is not in an acceptable range. I came here to get an education."

In an interview Friday, Lawson said she has no problem with getting healthy or losing weight. But she does have a problem with larger students being singled out.

"If Lincoln truly is concerned about everyone being healthy, then everyone should have to take this gym class, not just people who happen to be bigger," she said.

The mandate, which took effect for freshmen entering in fall 2006, requires students to get tested for their body mass index, a measure of weight to height.

A normal BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. Students with one that's 30 or above - considered obese - are required to take a class called "Fitness for Life," which meets three hours a week.

The course involves walking, aerobics, weight training and other physical activities, as well as information on nutrition, stress and sleep, DeBoy said.

As of this fall, DeBoy estimated about 80 seniors - 16 percent of the class - had not had their body mass index tested nor taken the fitness class. Some of those students will likely be exempt from taking the class once they get their BMI results, he said.

Health experts applaud the school's intent, if not its execution. Mark Rothstein, director of the bioethics institute at the University of Louisville's School of Medicine, said being forced to disclose such health information is "at least awkward and often distasteful."

And it doesn't necessarily lead to the best outcomes, he said, noting that "when the (health) goals are imposed on people, they don't do that well in meeting them."

DeBoy stressed that students are not required to lose weight or lower their BMI; they must only pass the class through attendance and participation.

"It's the sound mind and the sound body concept," DeBoy said. "I think the university, to its credit, is trying to be proactive."

Some experts said recent amendments to the Americans with Disabilities Act might lead to exemptions for morbidly obese students, who could argue that participating in the class would be dangerous.

Also, students need more than exercise, said Marcia Costello, a registered dietitian in the Philadelphia area. The university should make sure its dining halls and vending machines offer healthy choices, she said.

Costello, an assistant professor of nursing at Villanova University, also noted that body mass index can be misleading. Since muscle weighs more than fat, "it is possible to be overweight and still be physically fit," she said.

Lawson, a mass communications major, said while she believes her current BMI would exempt her from the class, she's going to take it anyway "because I would like to be healthier."

"This was a decision that I made," she wrote in The Lincolnian, "and that's the way it ought to be."

A university is requiring overweight students to take a fitness class in order to graduate... I think it's hilarious.

I honestly don't see why they're so riled up. People in America have handed over so much responsibility to the government and those in power, haven't stood up to defend their neighbors when those neighbor's rights were trampled on, and even defended this nanny state, why get riled up when they tell you you're fat as a house, and either work out or don't graduate from a university YOU paid to attend?

It could be possibly.....because.....well maybe......they paid to be academically educated and their weight has......well.......nothing to do with the academic requirements needed to graduate.

They let the smokers, drinkers, drug users, and promiscious graduate without any more than passing the ACADEMIC requirements of their degree studies. Why are they singling out the fat folks? Either put the rule across the board or let it go IMO.

Well, for what it's worth, when you pay for college, you pretty much hand over the authority of what it takes to graduate to the administration. There's no difference between paying for public or private college in this respect.

The only difference is that public colleges can change in policy according to the desires of the general public of the state involved, whereas private colleges only change in policy according to those enrolled (and according to the interests of trustees -- although trustees play a part in public colleges too).

So, in short, if people see this as a problem, they can write to the administration of Lincoln or their trustees or even write to the state government of PA. Lincoln is a state-related college, so it is partially public and partially private.

I think it's good that they're making them do that. People have no respect for their bodies, or their health general. The inner strength they will gain from getting off their asses, training hard, and taking care of themselves is of immeasurable worth.

Sadly though, many who make the progress will not keep it in the long run. However, I know the few that do, though they may be upset over it now, will be beyond thankful in the long run for this change. Who can complain about an increase in physical, mental, and spiritual strength, a healthier lifestyle and more than likely more sexual attention? :)

I must point out though, on the other hand: it's really not going to work unless the individual is ready and willing to make that change. It has to come from within, not from outside sources. But then again, most people are too lazy/weak willed/apathetic to do it without being forced. :(

Well, for what it's worth, when you pay for college, you pretty much hand over the authority of what it takes to graduate to the administration. There's no difference between paying for public or private college in this respect.

The only difference is that public colleges can change in policy according to the desires of the general public of the state involved, whereas private colleges only change in policy according to those enrolled (and according to the interests of trustees -- although trustees play a part in public colleges too).

So, in short, if people see this as a problem, they can write to the administration of Lincoln or their trustees or even write to the state government of PA. Lincoln is a state-related college, so it is partially public and partially private.

Either make it across the board for everyone or face the legal firestorm something like this has the potential to create. Obese people aren't the only one's living a so-called unhealthy lifestyle; we're just the ones who it can be easiest seen from the outside.

If I were a parent paying for this, I'd be beyond pissed and my kid would be transferring.

A historically black college singling out a group? Does anyone else see the irony?

Either make it across the board for everyone or face the legal firestorm something like this has the potential to create. Obese people aren't the only one's living a so-called unhealthy lifestyle; we're just the ones who it can be easiest seen from the outside.

If I were a parent paying for this, I'd be beyond pissed and my kid would be transferring.

A historically black college singling out a group? Does anyone else see the irony?

On the one hand, I agree with you that this will likely lead to a legal battle.

On the other hand, I believe a lot of other cultures seem to handle sensible conformities far better than us. For example, the French have much more respect for their bodies than we do. Their obesity rate is much lower, they eat healthier, and they exercise more. For them, a requirement such as this one would be considered self-evident in its rationality.

Then again, a requirement like this wouldn't even be necessary there.

I agree with Kis, it seems a little narrow-minded, and frankly not that bright, to single out one group with one health issue, and decide to clamp down on it. As was already said; what about smokers, and drinkers, and drug users, or people who are unhealthy about their bodies but happen not to be fat ?

I think someone high up in their administration has a bug up their ass about obesity and is acting without a lot of consideration.

I agree with Kis, it seems a little narrow-minded, and frankly not that bright, to single out one group with one health issue, and decide to clamp down on it. As was already said; what about smokers, and drinkers, and drug users, or people who are unhealthy about their bodies but happen not to be fat ?

I think someone high up in their administration has a bug up their ass about obesity and is acting without a lot of consideration.

Well, it is true that if they wanted to be more consistent in their approach, they could ban smoking and drinking from their campus and only serve healthy food at their cafeterias. That would certainly be much more progressive in policy.

Drug usage is already covered by federal and state laws however.

I think it's good that they're making them do that. People have no respect for their bodies, or their health general. The inner strength they will gain from getting off their asses, training hard, and taking care of themselves is of immeasurable worth.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you and am making it very clear as to why. This way, maybe we can avoid what happened in the last thread, okay? Discrimination is discrimination; just because obese aren't a federally protected class doesn't make it any less right to single them out and withhold their degrees they've worked their asses off academically. One has nothing to do with the other; it's only about controlling a group assumed unhealthy. Not every fat person is unhealthy nor is every thin person healthy. If that were the case, only fat people would be in doctors offices, hospitals, and cemetaries right?

Sadly though, many who make the progress will not keep it in the long run. However, I know the few that do, though they may be upset over it now, will be beyond thankful in the long run for this change. Who can complain about an increase in physical, mental, and spiritual strength, a healthier lifestyle and more than likely more sexual attention? :)

You can have all of those things without passing the BMI test and those things benefit everyone, not just the large. So why single them out? Either make it a requirement for everyone or let it go. If the obese were a federally protected class, the college wouldn't try this.

I must point out though, on the other hand: it's really not going to work unless the individual is ready and willing to make that change. It has to come from within, not from outside sources. But then again, most people are too lazy/weak willed/apathetic to do it without being forced. :(

As you've clearly stated, it's personal (not mandated) choice that will get the results on the long term. I can do anything standing on my head to get the degree, but what about afterwards?

You can have all of those things without passing the BMI test and those things benefit everyone, not just the large. So why single them out? Either make it a requirement for everyone or let it go. If the obese were a federally protected class, the college wouldn't try this.

Well, for what it's worth, the BMI doesn't properly account for differences in bone structure. It seems to assume everyone is "small-boned."

As you've clearly stated, it's personal (not mandated) choice that will get the results on the long term. I can do anything standing on my head to get the degree, but what about afterwards?

Sometimes, personal habits begin with coercion. Parenting is a good example of how this works.

I think physical education requirements are a great idea, but I also think it's not ethical to single people out. It should be a universal requirement.

I just read the other day on MSNBC.com about an 800 lb man who injured his knee, and was stuck in his easy chair for eight months, refusing to ask for help due to embarrassment. He would go to the bathroom IN his chair, which his wife would clean daily (Shouldn't THAT be embarrassing enough?). He later had to go to the hospital for something; I think a heart attack. He was stuck to the chair, so the paramedics cut a hole in the WALL OF THEIR HOUSE, so they could get him AND the chair out. He had to be cut from the chair, and later died in the hospital, covered in sores, and smelling horrendous. Things NEVER should have escalated to that. When things like this happen, it's obvious that morbid obesity is enough of a concern when a person can't support their own weight enough to stand up and walk to take a piss.

I'm all for physical education requirements if you can convince people to not let this happen to themselves. When I was in the Marine Corps, I learned that you really can't force people to try, no matter how much you encourage them, whether through positive reinforcement, or badgering them. They have to WANT it, and they have to want it enough to ignore the pain. I nearly ruined my own body running at a slower pace, trying to help an overweight subordinate to lose enough weight to meet standards. I got a knee injury chopping my steps so he could keep up, yet still be pushed to improve. No amount of positive encouragement worked. The only thing that got this kid to pull his head out of his ass was when two other sergeants and I gave him a bad performance evaluation, and told him we didn't think he'd ever be promoted, due to his care-free attitude. It's AMAZING how much of a reality check that was for him. He completely blew my mind when he did a 180 and started going to the gym on his own and improved on his own. He EARNED his promotion! He didn't quit there, either. Instead of backsliding once he got what he wanted, he maintained his improved physical fitness regimen! I was proud of him!

Sometimes, ya gotta hit people where it hurts to give them a reality check, and too many people have an entitlement complex. It pisses me off that there are kids at this college whining that they have to take a physical fitness class (based upon ATTENDANCE and PARTICIPATION) in order to graduate. Any kid who can't do that must not want the degree that much. These kids aren't being asked to run marathons. You just gotta SHOW UP and DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD! That should be the easiest thing in the world!

Not every fat person is unhealthy nor is every thin person healthy. If that were the case, only fat people would be in doctors offices, hospitals, and cemetaries right?

If by fat you mean having some extra weight on them, no, that alone is not unhealthy. It is never healthy to be "fat" as in obese, but being chubby isn't necessarily unhealthy. During my bulking phases for training I put on a lot of extra weight, and deffinately could be called "chubby" until I enter my cutting phase (at which time I burn off excess fat and become completely lean and cut), and despite the appearance, I am extremely healthy during those times. Even for people who don't train, having some -- and I stress some -- extra fat does not make them unhealthy, but there deffinately is a line.

As for thin people, well I've heard many times it's much healthier to be overweight than underweight, and that is deffinately true. Fat people, be it over-nourished, are still nourished. Underweight people are in a nutritional detriment. So yes, perhaps they should be making select students gain some weight as well.

It could be possibly.....because.....well maybe......they paid to be academically educated and their weight has......well.......nothing to do with the academic requirements needed to graduate.

They let the smokers, drinkers, drug users, and promiscious graduate without any more than passing the ACADEMIC requirements of their degree studies. Why are they singling out the fat folks? Either put the rule across the board or let it go IMO.

Very good point. You can't graduate if you're overweight and don't take a fitness class but you can get completely drunk, snort a few lines of coke and fuck a whore while she's shooting heroin and smoking a crack pipe at the same time and still graduate? :facepalm:

I agree. Either let it go or promote healthy activities/classes for EVERYONE.

Excuse me, I need a ciggy lol.................

Thank you Jeff--at least one person out here agrees with me about something.

In my city, the CEO of Cleveland Clinic has a bug up his arse about fat folks to the point he's threatened my 62 year old sister by holding up promotions or forcing retirement. She's really not that much overweight anyway, but in his eyes she's an eyesore.

I almost could see it if she were working in a highly visible position; then we tend to do what is more socially acceptable although still wrong. But she works in medical records and is damn good at what she does.

This doctor has removed all traditional snacks from vending machines, turned the cafeteria into a salad bar, and got sued when he tried to put McDonalds out of the cafeteria. He can't move them out until the lease is up, but since he's the self proclamed anti-fat god, he thought they'd take it with a lay down. I was glad that they won solely for the principle of it because I haven't eaten McDonalds in almost twenty years--most fast food is just nasty to me.

I am much familiar about the stats where obesity is concerned; however, there is no guaranteed certainty that obesity will kill you. My obese grandmother lived until she was 92 years old; by then pretty much anything can attribute to death.

Very good point. You can't graduate if you're overweight but you can get completely drunk, snort a few lines of coke and fuck a whore while she's shooting heroin and smoking a crack pipe and still graduate? :facepalm:

If you can do all of that and still graduate, you either weren't taking very difficult classes, or you just happen to be amazingly good at time management and balancing studies with drug addictions.

In short, the drug usage part of the equation is mostly a self-solving problem. I suppose if it was a big enough concern to Lincoln, they could institute a drug test right before the final week of class.

Of course, the problem with drug testing is that most methods only detect THC over a long period of time (about a month). Most other drugs exit the body in a short period of time (a few days).

Nevertheless, drug usage is something that is already "discriminated against" by state and federal laws.

OH SHIT!

Think how many calories a college student can burn off thrashing around from being tickled!

LET'S HELP THEM, GUYS!

I don't care what the class is, if I was almost done with my degree and all of a sudden someone told me I had a to take a basket-weaving class I'd be pissed. One class, particularly one that is only offered certain semesters, can really screw up your graduation date and force you to push it back half a year or even an entire year. That's more of an issue than anything.

Of course I don't think any one group should be singled out, but getting an education on how to take care of your body isn't the worst thing in the world. If the college really has their heart set on making it mandatory, they should start with the freshmen class, and keep it optional for upperclassmen. That way freshmen can work it into their schedules from the beginning and not have it interfere with their graduation date, and nobody has any surprises.

If you can do all of that and still graduate, you either weren't taking very difficult classes, or you just happen to be amazingly good at time management and balancing studies with drug addictions.

In short, the drug usage part of the equation is mostly a self-solving problem. I suppose if it was a big enough concern to Lincoln, they could institute a drug test right before the final week of class.

Of course, the problem with drug testing is that most methods only detect THC over a long period of time (about a month). Most other drugs exit the body in a short period of time (a few days).

Nevertheless, drug usage is something that is already "discriminated against" by state and federal laws.

Hi there,

You make a good point but I was just giving an example. Yes, a lot of drug use/drinking/partying happens on college campuses and while drug use is illegal, it still happens. I'm sure that the administration knows that this goes on though and while most colleges and universities will boot your ass if you're caught with illegal substances, I haven't heard of one that makes it mandatory to attend a "drugs are bad m'kay?" class or no graduation will occur.

I don't know. I'm all for a healthier America but I just don't think that something like that should be forced on anyone. I'd have to give up smoking lol.

I call bullshit on this one. Sounds like discrimination to me. And overweight doesn't necessarily equal unhealthiness and not all overweight people got that way by overeating, etc. My mom happens to be obese, but she got that way from this medicine she took that was prescribed by one of her doctors. And because she has diabetes and needs a pill to act as her thyroid gland, it's ridiculously hard for her to lose it. It's not as simple as exercise and decreasing calorie intake. >.> My brother, on the other hand, is skinny as a pencil, yet he's malnourished because he keeps forgetting to eat. O__O

So yeah, I don't find this all that funny.

They can start now from ranks. impose it first to the faculty members, janitors and all the staff in the administration. after that they can sweep all the students.

Hi there,

You make a good point but I was just giving an example. Yes, a lot of drug use/drinking/partying happens on college campuses and while drug use is illegal, it still happens. I'm sure that the administration knows that this goes on though and while most colleges and universities will boot your ass if you're caught with illegal substances, I haven't heard of one that makes it mandatory to attend a "drugs are bad m'kay?" class or no graduation will occur.

I believe part of why they don't require it in colleges is because DARE already exists in most pre-collegiate schools. Or at least, it did when I went to school. I suppose more recent graduates of high school can correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption.

If it turns out that education warning about drugs is no longer commonplace in high schools or middle schools, then I personally would support a DARE-like class in colleges.

I don't know. I'm all for a healthier America but I just don't think that something like that should be forced on anyone.

I'm not necessarily advocating this sort of exercise class either. I'm just elaborating on how the logic behind the class can be defended.

I call bullshit on this one. Sounds like discrimination to me. And overweight doesn't necessarily equal unhealthiness and not all overweight people got that way by overeating, etc. My mom happens to be obese, but she got that way from this medicine she took that was prescribed by one of her doctors. And because she has diabetes and needs a pill to act as her thyroid gland, it's ridiculously hard for her to lose it. It's not as simple as exercise and decreasing calorie intake. >.> My brother, on the other hand, is skinny as a pencil, yet he's malnourished because he keeps forgetting to eat. O__O

So yeah, I don't find this all that funny.

Exactly. I know people that are overweight due to medications, thyroid problems, etc. Not everyone gains extra pounds due to overeating.

I don't care what the class is, if I was almost done with my degree and all of a sudden someone told me I had a to take a basket-weaving class I'd be pissed. One class, particularly one that is only offered certain semesters, can really screw up your graduation date and force you to push it back half a year or even an entire year. That's more of an issue than anything.

Of course I don't think any one group should be singled out, but getting an education on how to take care of your body isn't the worst thing in the world. If the college really has their heart set on making it mandatory, they should start with the freshmen class, and keep it optional for upperclassmen. That way freshmen can work it into their schedules from the beginning and not have it interfere with their graduation date, and nobody has any surprises.

I agree with the whole "grandfathering" the upperclassmen. Policy should be across the board, but it's not fair screwing with the requirements in the middle or NEAR THE END OF a degree plan. That's a kick in the balls.

Also, on a side-note, BMI's a terrible and flawed measurement for physical health. For them to try to regulate people's physical health based off of that is a knee-jerk reaction, and the class is a joke. As said, every person has a different body style/type, and different strokes work for different folks. I think a more effective approach (would also take more resources than a school would be willing to invest to accommodate its student body) would be to have nutritionists/personal trainers/educators evaluate each student individually (over the course of their academic career), providing QUALIFIED recommendations for individual improvement, based upon diet and activity suggestions, and have the students graded upon improvements/attempted improvements. Obese people wouldn't be singled out, and EVERYONE, regardless of their physical condition can always improve SOMEWHERE. The overall goal should be for self-improvement. This shouldn't be a semester class, but rather a process that extends throughout one's time in college. That's a pipe-dream, though.

They can start now from ranks. impose it first to the faculty members, janitors and all the staff in the administration. after that they can sweep all the students.

Oooooooh, I LIKE that! :D

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back