• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Up To 10 Inches Of Snow-In October!

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
If the forecast is right, I'm about to experience something I never have before, at least that I remember, in all my nearly 42 years, a snowstorm in October!

The current forecast for Lancaster, indicates that there is a potential for 6 to 10 inches of heavy wet snow, from late tonight, trhough Saturday night. A Winter Storm Watch is in effect.

Up until now, the earliest I remember ever even seeing flakes was on Veterans Day. I can remember when my grandfather was alive in 1987, and I lived in CT, 200 miles north of here, we had "flurries" on Veterans Day when I went to visit him in a hospital in the Bronx. The first measurable snow I can ever recall is on Thanksgiving.

The scary part of the situation is the heavy wet snow. That is the type that can knock down trees/power lines. I posted how on Xmas Day 2002, we had no power for nine hours, due to nine inches of heavy wet snow.

Snow before Halloween. I know it happens in some places, but never here. This doesnt sound like its going to be too fun.

Mitch

wow that is nuts dude this weather is crazy i got a little snow yesterday nothing big tho

We got about an inch last night here in Mass. too early for this crap. gotta at least get through Halloween first!

Mitch, I'm a couple hours west of you and the temperature is dropping like a stone,... radio just predicted 3-7 inches for this evening. Given that the terrain is more vertical than horizontal, that's not a pleasant prospect for any form of transportation.

I'm amazed at this simply because here in Ohio we have just now STARTED to drop to 60. Before today and yesterday, 73-80ish was the norm.

This is why I live in Hawaii. Forecast for snow here (other than a mountain top on the Big Island): zero.

Pied, I was working and out most of the day. I came home a bit ago, and the Watch has been changed to a Warning. Depending on which forecast one can believe, there is anywhere from 4 to 8 inches, to maybe more than a foot of snow expected.

The scary thing is that because the temp will be pretty warm, it will be heavy wet snow, which is the kind that snaps power lines. Ugh! If my power goes out, I'll have to take my mom to the hospital. She cant be without power.

This is the absolute earliest I ever remember any snow at all. Snow in November, yes. Before Halloween? Never that I can recall.

Whacked!

Mitch

I am up on I-80 in western PA. They are calling for some snow up here as well.I am on my way to Michigan. Not sure how much snow I will have to deal with on my drive tomorrow.

Just heard 6 to 10 inches here, with high winds. im pissed! not before Halloween dammit!

The rain has changed to all snow here. Depending on which forecast one is to believe, there is a wide range of thought of how much our area might have.

WGAL in Lancaster said 1 to 3 inches. However, the Weather Channel forecast precdicts up to 10 inches. They say it is supposed to snow all the way into mid to late evening tonight. If that happens, and it accumulates, it would seem there will be closer to the 10 inches than the 3 inches.

Mitch

Thank goodness... I live in the desert!

I hope your public taxation- can keep you all warm! If not... The government will save you!

Remember, politicians love you! More, than they love their families!

God bless you! And, the Holy Spirit!

Records of weather in New York City go back to 1869.
For the first time ever since then, we have had more than one inch of snow here on a day in October. (The previous record was 0.8 inches on an October day in 1925). :eek:

I have a strong desire to see Al Gore kidnapped, stripped naked, and stuffed into a barrel. Then I want to see the barrel nailed shut dumped into a snow drift in Central Park. There ought to be a note inside the barrel saying, "Don't worry, Al, it will get warmer soon."

A great deal of snow fell from the sky today. It was snowing heavily at times, but much of it melted on contact. Had it been colder, this would have been a major accumulating snowstorm. As it is, the "official report" for Lancaster said 3.3 inches has fallen, and it is just about over.

Even so, this storm was a pain. Thankfully, so far, knock on wood, my power has stayed on. Hopefully, that will continue to be the case.

Mitch

All I had for a couple hours of my drive this morning were some snow showers along I-80 in PA.It was starting to stick however.

Actually, they got 17 inches of snow in Bristol, Connecticut. :eek:
Only about 3 inches here in NYC, but that was more than enough to break the record for a storm in October. (Old record set in 1925.)

One rarity for me, and I am NOT bragging to those who have/had no power, because many people who have read my posts know how often we usually lose power here.

My apartment, probably for the first time when a major storm hit, kept the power. Many people in Lancaster County lost power, but we were spared this time.

My friend Adam was watching his parents house in Bergen County, NJ, for the weekend, while his parents were away, The parents house lost power, and still is without power, but a friend took Adam back to his apartment, and the apartment has power.

The snow shouldnt last long, as temps in the 50s and 60s are expected in the North East and Mid Atlantic this week. That will feel more like early Nov, than this does for late October.

Mitch

I was actually in NY the past few days (first time); for a lifelong southern Californian, waking up to find out that frozen water apparently can fall out of the sky can be something of a shock. Kidding aside, I've been in snow, but never in an urban area, it took some getting used to.

I was in North Carolina watching The Weather Channel when I first heard about a snow before Halloween. Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel found it hard to believe, and they stationed him in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania where they received 5 inches. I first noticed snow on the ground at Staunton, Virginia coming home on I-81.

As of today (Tuesday), three days after the storm, parts of Central Park are still closed due to downed trees and tree limbs. It is estimated that about 1,000 trees were knocked down or denuded of their branches by the combination of high winds and snow accumulating on their leaves. :(

There are still some scattered power outages in several states.

Down Route 81 South that Sunday, trees were "plated" with a noticeable but not major coat of snow (it was all kind of surrealistic). Road was dry. Kind of wintry for October but not that unusual for this area. I thought nothing of it until I heard that Connecticut and other parts of New England got slammed with blizzard-like conditions.

Various sources are saying this winter won't be as cold as previous ones but will be much snowier, with wetter, gloppier show (or should that be "oobleck").

Perhaps we will have snow on the ground for Thanksgiving.

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back