• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

USS Lincoln

Hitman

TMF Poster
Did anybody here see the USS Abraham Lincoln come home today. I was very proud to see them come home after a job well done and the longest carrier deployment in 30 years. The turn out was great. All I have to say is Welcome home boys and everyone in America is very proud of you for the excallent job.

I'll second that! My brother was assigned to the Lincoln when it was stationed at Miramar prior to the first gulf war. Quite a ship! As for the crew...gotta love 'em!

Ann

Eh? I hought Miramar was inland? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh well, shows how much I know, doesn't it? :sadcry:

You What???............

......call that an aircraft carrier??!! What you need is a proper one like the "Ark Royal" powered by the worlds biggest elastic band motor, and a little ski jump on the front!

Re: You What???............

red indian said:
......call that an aircraft carrier??!! What you need is a proper one like the "Ark Royal" powered by the worlds biggest elastic band motor, and a little ski jump on the front!

And don't foget the guns the matelots have to shout "BANG!!!" with, when the pretend to fire them, because the lefty, bastard, lefty, limp-lunged, lefty, fucking lefty government cut the funding so much. :mad:

The Ark Royal vs the USS Abraham Lincoln. No contest, The Lincoln is by far the better ship. And it is one of the biggest in the US fleet

Hitman said:
The Ark Royal vs the USS Abraham Lincoln. No contest, The Lincoln is by far the better ship. And it is one of the biggest in the US fleet

HM if you read Indy's post extra-carefully, you might just see that he was being fascetious. As was I. :D:D:D:p:p:p

Yes, yes. Your ship may be spelled with a t rather than a p. :p But your fighting men are just as deserving of praise as ours are. Thanks mates!

Ann

Anyone who fights honorably in the service of their country is deserving of any praise we can give. Welcome home to the crew of the USS Abraham Lincoln! You make us proud.

TicklingDuo said:
Yes, yes. Your ship may be spelled with a t rather than a p.

Ann

Eh? :confused: Am I just being dense again, or does that mean something?:D

What is the Ark Royal, is that a Brit Carrier, sorry im not the well versed in the brit navy.

BigJim said:
Eh? :confused: Am I just being dense again, or does that mean something?:D

ship...spelled with P
shit...spelled with T

Now do ya get it ya big limey? :p I was just picking up on you cutting down your own ship.

Ann

NEVER insult the Royal Navy while a British citizen is around to defend it. (Things can get rather messy....)

TicklingDuo said:

ship...spelled with P
shit...spelled with T

Now do ya get it ya big limey? :p I was just picking up on you cutting down your own ship.

Ann

Ah, I seeeeeeeeeeeee........................ Duuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......:D

Hitman said:
What is the Ark Royal, is that a Brit Carrier, sorry im not the well versed in the brit navy.

LOL. Yes it's an Aircraft carrier in the same way a Volkwagon Beetle is a Ferrari.

Tron

Ah yes!!..............

........I knew i would flush you out Tronny, its like taking sweets off kids!!......thing is we have this BRITISH invention were the plane lands and takes off vertically, so we dont need a sawn off chunk of route 66 with a propeller stuck on the back of it in order to go to war.

Technically..

They aren't Air Craft Carriers. Or at least they weren't originally classified as such. They have no real attack capability. Back in the late 60s the Brit Government made a decision to not have real attack carriers. They had an excellent design for a new Ark Royal Class but cost was prohibitive. In fact parliament made a law prohibiting the procurement of air craft carriers. They scrapped the two carriers they had in existence at the time (Ark Royal and Eagle were there names I think). They shelved plans for the Malta class, which was to include a new Ark Royal.
The Brit Navy, which had already undergone an Air gutting pre WW2 and realized the dangers of not having a Fleet Air Arm came up with a decent way to get at least some air capability, if only for loval fleet defense. They came up with the concept of the Sea Control Command Cruiser. Technically if you look at the history of the Invincible, Illustrious, and Ark Royal they were built as Sea Control Cruisers with local air defense capability. They've never been officially rated as Air craft Carriers. The Harrier isn't known for her range, or her strike capability, but is a decent support Air Plane. Before the Falklands war the Brit Navy was going to sell one of these to the Aussies. I believe it was the Invincible. The funny thing is the reason they were gonna do this had nothing to do with finances or anything like that. They were gonna sell her so Parliament wouldn't catch on that in fact the Brit Navy considered these ships as Air Craft carriers. The reason being to have a viable carrier force you need 3 carriers. Navies obey the law of threes. They figured in a pinch the Aussies would lend her back.
Then came the Falklands and the Invincibles pretty much proved their worth for local defense, and also proved they sucked as strike carriers.

All in all interesting ships, and quite successful (albeit ugly) ones.

As for REAL Carriers. They only use the first 200 feet to take off. Which is less than the Brits use on the Invincibles. the rest is used for refueling and landing operations. Harriers rarely "jump" off the Invincibles because the jump severely limits their range. They have no catapults (otherwise they'd have to call them Air Craft Carriers) so the solution was to put the ski jump so Harriers could take off without jumping. AND given the choice between going into battle in an F14/18 and a Harrier I KNOW which one I'd choose.

Tron

Not too sure about them sucking that bad.........

.....how many did the Argies shoot down?

I Never Said...

Anything sucked. I did say I'd consider the Invincibles a success given they perform their roles quite well.

I also said Harriers don't do all that badly either. But if I was going into combat I'd prefer being in an F14/18.

As for the Argies LOL> Having a decent record against crap fRench equipment which was obsolete to begin with isn't a claim to fame.

Tron

USS Clinton?

In the next 30 to 50 years, the phrase "female visitors landed on the USS Clinton" will have a double meaning for those people who still remember the scandal.
Here's a question, Does anyone know if there is anything named after the president who had the shortest term n office?

We are proud residents of Everett, Washington - home base of the USS Lincoln. I thought you all might like to know that the city did themselves proud, welcoming back our heros with open arms and one of the biggest celebrations you might have ever had the pleasure of attending. You can't drive even half a city block without marveling at the number of American flags, yellow ribbons, and Welcome Back signs on display.

I had the distinct pleasure of being on the premises (my son is in the Jr ROTC and was helping to handle security and parking) and, I don't know how it affected anybody else, but I was on the verge of happy tears the entire time... patriotic pride runs very deep and the reunions were so so sweet.

Tomorrow (Saturday) there will be a grand ticker tape parade. My family and I plan to be in attendance and pay further tribute to not only the active military, but their families as well. I will happily send along (in spirit) all your well wishes!

Re: Ah yes!!..............

red indian said:
........I knew i would flush you out Tronny, its like taking sweets off kids!!......thing is we have this BRITISH invention were the plane lands and takes off vertically, so we dont need a sawn off chunk of route 66 with a propeller stuck on the back of it in order to go to war.

OH YES!!!! FIFTEEN LOVE!!!!! Dagnammit you bastard, but you beat me to it! :blaugh:

Re: I Never Said...

Neutron said:
As for the Argies LOL> Having a decent record against crap fRench equipment which was obsolete to begin with isn't a claim to fame.

Tron

Anyone know the Spanish for "Exocet"? :D

What's New

5/20/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello to us all!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back