• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Vintage Scripts (a collection of original amateur screenplays).

You much of a Bradbury fan, LBH? ;)
Had to look that one up! Found references to a Bradbury short story I haven't read called "The Crowd", which seems to deal with a predatory group of gawkers (the same faces showing up consistently at different auto accidents). It's been adapted into a "Ray Bradbury Theater" episode, which is where I was sent most often. Just goes to show you can find horror anywhere, even at car crashes!

I devoured tons of Bradbury when I was in college (that would have been in the '70s; "Golden Apples of the Sun" sticks out in my mind for some reason...) and am not at all sure how I missed "The Crowd". Possibly I didn't... I may have read it and simply forgotten about it. It's the sort of plot that would have left an impression, though.

Last edited:
No, you never open a door with slime oozing out, people!!! Well, at least not unless your spectating horde is armed with torches and pitchforks....

Clever piece, LBH. Nice amalgam of possible inspirations there...

Clever piece, LBH. Nice amalgam of possible inspirations there...
Thank you, Hawk! Lovecraft (once again) is the primary model. Lexicon gives it all away: "fetid", "eldritch", "tomes"... arch-Lovecraftean language. Besides which, "Randolph Mason" is a rather thinly disguised take on "Randolph Carter" (he of the well known "Statement..."). Replicating verbiage isn't enough; words need to be arranged to proper effect, which is where the exercise generally fails. It's far better for one to create his own style rather than aping someone else's, however beloved. That requires time and continuous effort, though.

The Very First Voyage of Sinbad

This script is a fairly straightforward imitation of Ray Harryhausen's 7th Voyage of Sinbad, despite the parody promises made by the jokey title. The project was entirely my own... GM, however, earned co-scripting credit with a heroic rewrite that smoothed out much of the first draft's roughness. The Omar Khayyam approach to the dialogue (the "thee's" and "thou's" and Arabian Nights-style witticisms) was his idea, my original language being far more prosaic. The few touches of humor were also his contribution.

Rather a lot of footage was shot, everything from the shipwreck to the arrival at Sandar's castle (next week). I played the Sinbad role; GM played side-kick Abashi (he might eventually have played Sandar as well). Too bad the film was never finished, as it likely would have proved one of my more impressive efforts. Stop motion animation would have provided all the monsters, and I was even attempting some live action rear projection and split screening. These more advanced cinematic tricks weren't working out... all the FX would probably have been done with miniatures.

Plenty of illustrations will be offered with this script, five tonight (below) and four next week:

The Very First Voyage
of Sinbad

A screenplay by
Foster Glenn Oakes

Additional dialogue by
GM

CHARACTERS
The Caliph of Bagdad
Sinbad
Abashi
Sandar, the Magician
Ravana, the Dead One
The Princess Melaina​

EXTERIOR. The streets of Bagdad. Dissolve to the Imperial Palace. INTERIOR. Inside the Imperial Chamber, THE CALIPH OF BAGDAD sits upon his throne, his face tired and drawn. Through a curved arch strides PRINCE SINBAD.

Sinbad: I appear at thy command, most honored Caliph.

As the seafarer approaches the throne, the Caliph drops his hand to reveal an ornate ring. Sinbad, remembering protocol, kisses the ornament. The ruler gestures for the adventurer to rise.

Caliph: Sinbad, my beloved prince, I have called for thee so that I might reveal a most terrible occurrence. Please, come with me to the terrace.

The two men adjourn to a lofty terrace overlooking the streets of the city. EXTERIOR.

Caliph: The light in the jewel of my soul is no more! The Princess Melaina has been abducted by the evil magician known as Sandar. He has spirited her to his stronghold on the Isle of Miniscula.

Sinbad: My beloved... in the clutches of the evil one?! By the silver beard of the Blessed Prophet! Truly, the flame in the lantern of my heart is extinguished! My lord, give me a ship manned with a crew of twenty, and I shall brave howling typhoons, battle blood-mad behemoths, and challenge the sorcery of Sandar himself to bring her back.

Caliph: So shall it be. Only be wary...expose thyself to no unnecessary danger. May Allah be with thee, my son.

Sinbad makes the proper signs of obeisance, then exits into the palace proper. There is a transition to Sinbad's ship, as it sails swiftly across the sea toward Sandar's island. The young prince stands at the prow, studying a map of the wizard's realm, scrutinizing the surrounding waters. His faithful first mate, ABASHI, joins him.

Abashi: A report from the look-out, Captain. The island appears on the horizon.

Sinbad smiles grimly. Cut to INTERIOR. A chamber within the walls of Sandar's castle. The image of Sinbad's ship, visible on the enchanted surface of a magic mirror, is being observed by SANDAR, THE MAGICIAN and RAVANA, THE DEAD ONE. Behind them, cruelly bound by the ironic luxury of silken ties, is THE PRINCESS MELAINA.

Sandar: Sail onward, Sinbad. Ever onward to thy destruction!

Ravana: But is your magic powerful enough, O mighty Sandar?

Sandar: Even so, Ravana. Did I not steal this beautiful trifle from within the very walls of Bagdad itself?

The princess turns her face away from her tormentor. The magician laughs. He takes up his magic staff and performs a series of mystic passes.

Sandar: Arise, O angry winds! Arise and blow! Whip the churning seas! Destroy the fragile vessel of my enemy!

EXTERIOR. Vast winds rise up, blowing the winds across an angry sky. Turbulent waves break against the wooden craft, tossing it until it sinks.

INTERIOR. Inside the great castle, Sandar exults.

Sandar: All hail the dark powers! Captain Sinbad is no more!

Ravana falls to his creaking knees before his master.

Ravana: And all hail the wonder of Sandar, mightiest of sorcerers!

Transition to EXTERIOR. Sinbad and Abashi lie unconscious on the sands of a beach. Abashi rouses himself and looks at the forbidding landscape that surrounds him. He wanders around a hillock and stands with his back to the ocean. Suddenly, a hand grasps his shoulder from behind. Abashi whirls around, desperately endeavoring to remove his cutlass from its position beneath his sash. It is with a sigh of relief that he discovers the sea-soggy Sinbad before him.

Abashi: O Master, it is thee! (looking about him) We would seem to have landed in a most unwelcome place.

Sinbad: This, Abashi, is the isle of Miniscula.

Abashi: The odds are somewhat against us, Captain Sinbad. Perhaps if we return to Bagdad for more men--

Sinbad: We cannot afford the time. The way to Sandar's castle lies through the valley of Desolation...in this direction.

Abashi: The Valley of Desolation! Truly, the corns on the bunions of my feet will weep for the sorrow I shall visit upon them.

Sinbad and Abashi start across the barren plain. At this point, it should be noted that Sinbad is armed with a saber, which resides beneath his sash; Abashi wears a short cutlass and carries a spear. At length, the intrepid pair come upon an inlet in which a marvelous golden ship has been moored.

Abashi: Treasury of Allah! Look thee yonder, Master. A ship of purest gold! Such a thing must be worth--

Sinbad: Such a thing will serve us well when comes our time to escape.

The two comrades press onward across the barren floor of the Valley of Desolation. Abashi struts ahead in a careless and cavalier fashion.

Abashi: Truly, this land is strange to me, but the land has yet to be discovered that can long unnerve Abashi.

A tremendous roar sounds from above, prompting the eyes of the two seamen to dart upward. Naked fear ravages their features, as they discover the presence of a monstrous giant on the ledge above them. Abashi's spear slips from his nerveless fingers.

Abashi: By the tangled beard of Allah! It is a byclopse! Dirty beasts--they are the foe to all who live.

Sinbad: Take to thy heels, Abashi. Perhaps we can yet avoid battle.

Sinbad and his companion flee the rampaging creature until it becomes evident that an altercation will be utterly inevitable.

Sinbad: It is no use, Abashi. We must turn and fight.

In the course of the ensuing battle, Abashi is caught up in the giant's hoary fist.

Sinbad: Abashi!

The byclopse lashes out with its cloven hoof and sends the would-be rescuer reeling. As consciousness rapidly ebbs from Sinbad's body, the monster stalks away with its prize.

Next: the conclusion.

Attachments

• Sinbad-1.jpg
    Sinbad-1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Sinbad-2.jpg
    Sinbad-2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Sinbad-3.jpg
    Sinbad-3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Sinbad-4.jpg
    Sinbad-4.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Sinbad-5.jpg
    Sinbad-5.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Stop motion, eh? The sort of thing that gave life to the Kraken in Clash of the Titans? I can't even imagine how hard that would be to do.

Never have I seen 7th Voyage of Sinbad so I know not of what story it follows. I wonder, then, why the giant took only Abashi and left Sinbad. I guess we'll find out next week!

Stop motion, eh? The sort of thing that gave life to the Kraken in Clash of the Titans? I can't even imagine how hard that would be to do.
The very same technique! Jointed puppets are posed, then photographed one frame at a time for the illusion of movement. The models tend to be small so that they can be easily manipulated; mine were particularly teeny, none of them exceeding eight inches in height. Work could indeed take forever: I spent about 6 weeks getting the 5 or so minutes of animation needed for Theseus and the Minotaur, though that included test shots and retakes. I'm afraid the practice has become something of a lost art (in amateur terms, anyway) with the disappearance of super-8 film... those with any where-with-all have substituted computer animation. But it was ubiquitous back in the '70s! Everybody was making such films, trying to become the next Ray Harryhausen or Willis O'brien!

Never have I seen 7th Voyage of Sinbad so I know not of what story it follows. I wonder, then, why the giant took only Abashi and left Sinbad. I guess we'll find out next week!
A plague upon you, HDS... tripping up my poor beleaguered story conveniences with logical considerations! ... uh... let's just say the byclopse got what he wanted, then went home (all done shopping!) Frankly, at that time I never thought story arcs through terribly carefully. I squander more time rewriting today than I ever spent on the totality of these older efforts. Then again, I have fewer distractions now and nothing resembling a deadline.

If you enjoyed Clash of the Titans, you might like 7th Voyage of Sinbad even better! Titans was Harryhausen's farewell film; 7th Voyage was his first color feature (if one excludes Animal World, which really wasn't his project), key to creating the template he most often followed, and far more fresh and fun than many later variations. Neat acting turn, too: Torin Thatcher as the sorcerer Sokurah! Below, please find a few shots of the animated beasties. Gorgeous model design... very influential!

Attachments

• 7th_Voyage_1.jpg
    7th_Voyage_1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 7th_Voyage_2.jpg
    7th_Voyage_2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 7th_Voyage_3.jpg
    7th_Voyage_3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 7th_Voyage_4.jpg
    7th_Voyage_4.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 7th_Voyage_5.jpg
    7th_Voyage_5.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Excellent start. Can't wait to see what bag of tricks Sinbad pulls out on this villain...

Excellent start. Can't wait to see what bag of tricks Sinbad pulls out on this villain...
Thank you, Hawk! Sinbad's approach in this script won't differ significantly from Kerwin Mathews' in the original... our sailor man needs a solid sword arm, mostly! And the poor princess isn't even granted that much cleverness, serving as little more that a curvy MacGuffin without even the semblance of independent character. As I believe I mentioned earlier regarding a different script, my construction of female roles was appallingly minimalist; as an actor, I'd have hated being stuck playing any of these parts. There's one exception, a screenplay I'll present later on... unfortunately that one has entirely different problems...

Part 2​

There is a cutaway shot of a gigantic hour-glass. The shifting sand within the device quickly plummets from the top half into the bottom, the purpose being to establish the passage of some time. When we return to the unfortunate Sinbad, we discover that he has not stirred. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, he awakens from his stupor. Painfully shaking the cobwebs from his cranium, he embarks upon an immediate search for his bosom comrade-in-arms. His efforts uncover nought but a bleached skull.

Sinbad: Abashi! O faithful, foolish Abashi. Truly, the ashes of defeat lay bitter on my tongue.

Weary and stricken with grief, Sinbad plods onward in the direction of the great castle. After traversing a considerable distance, the forlorn prince finds himself at the entrance of a Brobdingnagian cavern, the entrance of which has been carved into the likeness of a dragon's mouth of titanic size. INTERIOR. Sinbad bravely enters the den of iniquity and makes his way stealthily to the doors of Sandar's chamber, wherein sits the sorcerer, slimily gloating over his supposed victory. The young avenger leaps into the room, his saber drawn and blood in his eye.

Sinbad: Sandar!

Sandar: By the Dark Gods! Sinbad! So, even the unleashed fury of the raging winds was not enough to deter thee!

Sinbad: Nay, villain. And now I shall pay thee in full for the insults thou hast flung against Bagdad.

Sinbad crosses to the princess and severs her bonds in a single, expert stroke.

Sinbad: (embracing his love) Truly, the sight of thee is a balm to the soreness of my eyes.

Melaina: Beware the Evil One, my prince. He is treacherous beyond all others.

Sinbad places the lady behind him, prior to his grim advance on the conjurer.

Sandar: So be it. Thou shalt fight for thy life, my fine captain. (He thrusts a handful of his own spidery fingers against his darkly robed bosom) But not against this one. Not against Sandar.

Sandar performs a sweeping motion with his staff. A fold of drapery is magically drawn upward, revealing the lean and hungry Ravana.

Sandar: Behold, Captain! Ravana, the Dead One! (to the living skeleton) Kill him, my slave!

Ravana: As my lord wills, so shall it be done.

A slam-bang, show-stopping fight ensues between the sailor and his skeletal adversary. At length, the Dead One strikes the saber from Sinbad's hand, gaining him the advantage over his human foe.

Ravana: Prepare thyself for the ten thousand torments of the lower realm, fleshy one.

Just as Ravana prepares to launch a fatal blow, Sinbad snatches an ornamental (but nonetheless functional) spear from its place on a nearby wall and drives it through a natural opening in Ravana's bare ribs. Sandar's champion surveys his condition with shocked disbelief. After a few heartbeats, he runs screaming from the room. The prince and princess make a bee-line for the surface world. Sandar hastens to an immense iron vault. With a grand pass of his staff, Sandar causes the huge door to swing apart. A terrible roar erupts from the heavy gloom within this great portal. After a brief but proper period of breathless anticipation, a flame-red dragon of majestically titanic proportions rushes free. The creature howls its incendiary hatred at Sandar, who is thus moved to retaliate with a blast of mystical force form his colossal wand. The wounded beast backs away.

Sandar: Thy master commands thee, my pretty. Slay the enemies of thy lord!

The great dragon charges in pursuit of the fleeing couple. EXTERIOR. As Sinbad and his beloved clamber over the rocky terrain, a mighty bronze spear sails through the atmosphere and imbeds itself in the dragon's side. The source of the winging weapon is discovered upon the summit of a nearby hill. It it the byclopse. By this time, the great saurian's efforts have worked free the rough-cast and pointed source of its discomfort, and the two mighty adversaries lock their bodies in mortal combat. Sinbad's face lights up with joy, as he suddenly spies the faithful Abashi. The prince's hapless comrade has been trussed up into a semi-kneeling position and placed upon a huge platter, garnished with bright green seaweed. There is an apple in the poor man's mouth. Sinbad and Melaina untie Abashi. The captain himself removes the fruit from his friend's teeth. There is an audible pop.

Sinbad: Abashi! O, Allah be praised! Truly, the wine within the fount of my happiness is plentiful to the overflowing. Why, when I awoke from the slumber of the defeated, I found a dried skull which I took to be thine!

Abashi: No, Master, my skull still resides inside this poor head. (he suddenly begins to feel his cranium in an uncertain manner)...at least, I think it is so.

The three are preparing to leave, when Sandar appears before them.

Sandar: Thy fate is still within my grasp, mortals!

The wizard holds forth his staff. Sinbad and Abashi bare their weapons, but Sandar raises his staff, smiting them with occult power. At this instant, the battling byclopse backs into their midst, tumbling the magician and stepping on the magic staff, thus snapping that particular scepter of sorcery in twain. The dragon, not to be outdone, slays the byclopse. This accomplished, the vast lizard turns on its former master. Sandar, no longer possessing a method of controlling the beast, flees for his miserable life. The dragon pursues the wizard into the castle. INTERIOR. Sandar, deeply within the grip of a hideous desperation, pitches a handy beaker of some alchemical solution into the path of the oncoming monster. The gargantuan creature vocalizes one last wail, as the resulting explosion racks the cavern, sending massive stones plummeting into Sandar's stronghold.

EXTERIOR. The great befanged entrance to the sorcerer's fortress falls closed with magnificent finality. There follows a slow and stately transition. Sinbad, Melaina, and Abashi sail toward the shores of Bagdad aboard Sandar's golden vessel.

Sinbad: (sweeping his love into his arms) O rapture and joy! Once again my betrothed is mine. Truly, the flowers in the garden of my delight shall bloom as never bef--

The princess deliberately kisses the big buffoon, mercifully cutting short this latest bit of Arabian folksiness. Abashi smiles coyly. Recovering his wits, the captain reluctantly breaks this sweetest of all connections. He and his bride-to-be smile at one another. Sinbad cavalierly leaps onto the ship's railing, dexterously entwining one set of strong fingers into the abundantly plentiful rigging.

Sinbad: To Bagdad and home, Abashi.

Abashi: Aye, Captain. (abruptly noticing a slack line somewhere off-screen) Ho, mate. Make fast that line.

Ravana: (resignedly obeying Abashi's command) As you will, my lord.

With that, the beautiful golden ship glides its way toward the rosy horizon, so that everyone might live most happily ever after. Even so.

Next: "A Shadow in the Sea"

Attachments

• Sinbad-6.jpg
    Sinbad-6.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Sinbad-7.jpg
    Sinbad-7.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Sinbad-8.jpg
    Sinbad-8.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Sinbad-9.jpg
    Sinbad-9.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 17
Bravo! Well done...I wondered how Abashi would come back. Didn't think it would be as the main course, however!

Praise be to the wise and clever princess sparing us from more of Sinbad's over-ripe poetry...LOL. Plenty of action shifts to keep one's attention. Would have made a fun cinematic effort!

Plenty of action shifts to keep one's attention. Would have made a fun cinematic effort!
Very kind of you to say so, Hawk! I flatter myself that it would have proved entertaining, even if huge dollops of suspended disbelief were necessary. The costuming, I'm afraid, was rather makeshift and worked against any illusion of reality. And I have no idea now what I intended to do for Bagdad streets scenes! It wasn't like I had stock footage to depend on, and I certainly couldn't have run downtown to get what I wanted!

Bravo! Well done...I wondered how Abashi would come back. Didn't think it would be as the main course, however!

Praise be to the wise and clever princess sparing us from more of Sinbad's over-ripe poetry...LOL.
Thank you! I must confess, those were GM's ideas, not my own. He always had a better grasp of casual whimsy than I did. My take on Abashi simply found him tied to a tree, not plattered and garnished with seaweed. Likewise, I never had the princess doing anything so proactive as initiating a kiss... this bit I particularly like, as it provides her character with some definition!

Below, please find my first draft of the screenplay, offered for contrast's sake. The principle action differs hardly at all from the finished version... you'll instantly notice its lack of personality and punch when compared to GM's rewrite, though:

The Very First Voyage of Sinbad​

by Foster Glenn Oakes​

Characters
Caliph of Bagdad
Sinbad
Abashi
Sandar, the Magician
Ravana, the Dead One
Princess Melaina

EXTERIOR: The streets of Bagdad. Cut to the Imperial Palace. INTERIOR. Inside the Imperial Chamber, THE CALIPH OF BAGDAD sits at his throne, his face tired and drawn. Through a curved arch, enters PRINCE SINBAD.

Sinbad: I appear at your command, most honored Caliph.

As Sinbad approaches the throne, the Caliph drops his hand to reveal an ornate ring. Sinbad, remembering protocol, kisses the ring. The Caliph gestures for him to rise.

Caliph: Sinbad, my beloved Prince, I have called for you to reveal a terrible happening. Please, come with me to the terrace.

The two men adjourn to a lofty terrace overlooking the streets of the city. EXTERIOR.

Caliph: My soul, my beloved, the Princess Melaina has been abducted to the Isle of Miniscula by the evil magician, Sandar.

Sinbad: By the beard of the Blessed One! My Lord, give me a ship and twenty men, and I shall brave howling typhoons, battle blood-mad giants, and challenge the sorcery of Sandar himself to bring her back!

Caliph: It is done. Only remember, expose yourself to no unnecessary danger. May Allah be with you.

Sinbad makes the proper signs of obeisance, then exits into the palace proper. Transition to Sinbad's ship, as it sails swiftly across the sea toward Sandar's island. The young prince stands at the prow, studying a map of the wizard's realm, scrutinizing the surrounding waters. His faithful first mate, ABASHI, joins him.

Abashi: A report from the lookout, Captain. The island appears on the horizon.

Sinbad smiles grimly. Cut to INTERIOR. The island of Sandar's castle. The image of Sinbad's ship is being observed on a magic mirror by SANDAR THE MAGICIAN and RAVANA, THE DEAD ONE. Behind them, bound by silken ties, is the PRINCESS MELAINA.

Sandar: Sail on, Sinbad. On to your destruction!

Ravana: But is your magic powerful enough, mighty Sandar?

Sandar: Even so, Ravana. Did I not steal this beautiful trifle form within the very walls of Bagdad?

The Princess turns her face from her tormentor. The magician takes up his magic staff and makes mystic passes.

Sandar: Go, O Magic Winds! Whip the seas! Destroy the ship of my enemy!

EXTERIOR. Vast winds rise up, blowing the clouds across the sky. Turbulent waves break against the wooden craft, tossing it until is sinks. INTERIOR. Inside the castle, Sandar exults.

Sandar: All hail the dark powers! Captain Sinbad is no more!

Transition to EXTERIOR. Sinbad and Abashi lie unconscious on the sands of a beach. Abashi rouses himself and looks at the forbidding landscape. He wanders toward a hillock and stands with his back to the ocean. Suddenly, a hand grasps his shoulder from behind. Abashi whirls around, trying desperately to remove his cutlass from beneath his sash. With a sigh of relief, he finds Sinbad standing before him.

Abashi: O Master, it is you! (looking about him) We seem to have landed in a most unwelcome place.

Sinbad: Abashi, this is the isle of Miniscula.

Abashi: The odds are somewhat against us, Captain Sinbad. perhaps if we return to Bagdad for more men--

Sinbad: We cannot afford the time. The way to Sandar's castle lies through the Valley of Desolation... in this direction.

Sinbad and Abashi start across the barren plain. Sinbad's saber resides beneath his sash. Abashi wears a short cutlass and carries a spear.

Abashi: This land is strange to me, but no land can long unnerve Abashi!

From above, there is a great roar. The two seamen look up to discover a giant on the ledge above them. Abashi's spear falls from his hand.

Abashi: By the beard of Allah! It is a byclpose! Dirty beasts. The foes of all who live.

Sinbad: Take flight! Perhaps we can avoid a battle.

Sinbad and his companion run from the monster until it becomes evident that a fight is inevitable. In the course of the battle, Abashi is caught up in the giant's hoary fist.

Sinbad: Abashi!

The byclospe lashes out with its cloven hoof and sends the would-be rescuer reeling. With Sinbad fast losing consciousness, the monster stalks off with its prize. Several hours later, Sinbad wakes from his stupor. He immediately looks for Abashi, but his search uncovers only a bleached skull.

Sinbad: Abashi...

Weary and grief-stricken, he plods on in the direction of the castle. After traveling a great distance, the forlorn prince comes to the entrance of a great cavern, which is carved into the shape of a titanic dragon's mouth. INTERIOR. Sinbad enters and makes his way stealthily to Sandar's chamber where the sorcerer sits gloating over his supposed victory. The young avenger leaps into the room, saber drawn.

Sinbad: Sandar!

Sandar: So, the winds were not enough to stop you!

Sinbad: No! And now I pay you in full for the insults you have made against Bagdad.

Sinbad goes to the princess and cuts her bonds. He places her behind him, then advances on Sandar.

Melaina: Beware him, my prince. He is treacherous beyond all others.

Sandar: You shall fight for your life, Captain. But not against me.

Sandar sweeps his staff. A piece of drapery is drawn upward to reveal Ravana.

Sandar: Behold! Ravana, the Dead One! Kill him, my slave!

Ravana: As my lord wills.

A terrible fight ensues between Sinbad and his skeletal adversary. Finally, the Dead One gains the advantage by knocking the saber from his foe's hand.

Ravana: Prepare for the lower realm!

Just as Ravana prepares to strike the fatal blow. Sinbad takes a spear from its place on the wall and stabs it through Ravana's bare ribs. Sandar's warrior studies his condition in shock, then runs screaming from the room. The prince and princess head for the surface world. Sandar goes swiftly to a great iron vault. With a pass from his staff, the huge doors swing open. Out of the gloom, a great roar erupts, and a giant flame-red dragon rushes forth. It howls its hate at Sandar, who retaliates with a blast of mystic force from his wand. The wondrous beast backs away.

Sandar: Your master commands you! Kill my enemies!

The dragon charges after the fleeing couple. EXTERIOR. As they race over the rocky terrain, a mighty bronze spear sails through the air and imbeds itself in the dragon's side. On a nearby hill stands the byclopse. The great saurian works free the rough-hewn shaft, and the two great adversaries grapple at one another. Sinbad suddenly spies Abashi, tied to a tree. He and Melaina untie him.

Sinbad: Abashi! Allah be praised! I found a dried skull that I thought was yours.

Abashi: No, Master. My skull is still inside my head. (He suddenly feels his head, uncertain.) At least, I think it is so.

The three prepare to leave, when Sandar appears before them.

Sandar: Your fate is still in my hand. (He holds forth his staff.)

Sinbad and Abashi bare their weapons, but the wizard raises his staff, striking them with occult force. In the next instant, the byclopse backs into the scene, tumbling the sorcerer and then stepping on the staff, breaking it. The dragon, in turn, kills the byclopse, then turns on its former master. Sandar, having no way to control the beast, runs for his life. INTERIOR. The two evil beings make their way back to the castle, where Sandar, in desperation, hurls a container of alchemic solution in the monster's path. The resulting blast racks the cavern, sending great stones plummeting into Sandar's chamber. EXTERIOR. The huge dragon-mouth opening falls closed. Transition. Sinbad, Abashi and Melaina sail toward Bagdad in Sandar's golden ship.

Sinbad: To Bagdad and home, Abashi.

He takes the princess in arm, and they go to the railing.

Abashi: Aye, sir. (noting a slack line, off-screen) Ho, mate! Make fast that line!

Ravana: As you will, my lord.

With that, the ship sails toward the horizon, and commence end credits.

Last edited:
Well, actually I do. I graduated in classical animation, and I had to do some stop motion projects in the course of my education. I can assure you, It's possibly the most difficult frame-by-frame animation technique. To give you an idea; my own graduation project was a classic 2D-cutout animation (non-digital) and I could turn out only about 10 to 20 seconds of finished animation in a full day of almost non-stop work. Stop motion is even harder, as you have to take in acount the 3rd dimension (balancing the figure in the middle of a walk cycle can be reeeeally challenging!). Plus, you have no idea wether your animation is ok until the film has been developed!

Thank the gods for the digital age!

But what I really wanted to say...
This is an incredibly interesting thread, I must say. I have yet to read all of the scripts (I don't check out the non-tickling stories forum enough), but this looks like really solid stuff, with only a few modifications these would even make great comic scripts! Absolutly amazing to see how similar the pace and writing style of these scripts are to your Low Roads tickling comic series.

Say, If you still have the 8mm film reels in your possession, why not have them digitized? I believe this is a service offered by many photo stores these days (and probably not that expensive). I for starters would love to see your feature films! With such cool scripts they have to be interesting to take a look at, if only for a unique testimony of amateur film-making of decennia past. :)

This is an incredibly interesting thread, I must say. I have yet to read all of the scripts (I don't check out the non-tickling stories forum enough), but this looks like really solid stuff, with only a few modifications these would even make great comic scripts! Absolutly amazing to see how similar the pace and writing style of these scripts are to your Low Roads tickling comic series.
Thank you, Scav! The quality of these offerings will vary, but I hope each will entertain in some way (even if only through derisive laughter, which many of these early efforts deserve!) I agree, these scripts could easily be adapted for comix use! They tend to be incident-heavy (as opposed to slower-paced mood pieces), which lends itself well to graphix presentation. Also, I'm most pleased to hear that the seeds of my current style can be seen in this older work! I had hoped they'd provide some perspective!

... I graduated in classical animation, and I had to do some stop motion projects in the course of my education. I can assure you, It's possibly the most difficult frame-by-frame animation technique. To give you an idea; my own graduation project was a classic 2D-cutout animation (non-digital) and I could turn out only about 10 to 20 seconds of finished animation in a full day of almost non-stop work. Stop motion is even harder, as you have to take in acount the 3rd dimension (balancing the figure in the middle of a walk cycle can be reeeeally challenging!). Plus, you have no idea wether your animation is ok until the film has been developed!

Thank the gods for the digital age!
Scav has animation triumphs to his credit along with the rest of his weighty accomplishments! Doesn't surprise me in the slightest! 20 seconds of finished animation doesn't sound impressive until one considers that such a task entails 480 individual setups (24 per second of film), at which point it seems like the herculean undertaking it is! I so sympathize about walk cycles! It isn't simply a matter of putting one foot in front of the other: one must consider how the full body functions during a stride... how the arms move to maintain balance, how the shoulders and hips pivot around the spine, how the full figure must sag and spring to believably mimic weight, all the while trying to remember what fingers and facial features were supposed to be doing in the last frame (and that could be as much as half an hour before!) Copious guide illustrations were helpful to me, though I never made enough to stay out of trouble! Your cutout animation project sounds fascinating! Such technique can be used to fabulous effect in feature cinema (I'm thinking about Czech fantasy filmmaker Karl Zeman, principally, whose wonderful work has never failed to inspire!) What was it about and how long did it run, if I may ask?

Oh yeah! Waiting for the film to come back from processing could be agony (though the reward was heightened too when something worked especially well)! I was surprised several times, most notably about how the color spectrum could shift throughout the day. The lush pastoral greens I wanted would burn orange once the sun went down, even under artificial lights! Since my efforts were amateur, I never bothered to reshoot. But such inconsistency would never be forgiven in a more serious project.

Say, If you still have the 8mm film reels in your possession, why not have them digitized? I believe this is a service offered by many photo stores these days (and probably not that expensive). I for starters would love to see your feature films! With such cool scripts they have to be interesting to take a look at, if only for a unique testimony of amateur film-making of decennia past. :)
I did lose track of many of these projects during a move, but managed to unearth them all again a few years back! Soon after, I lent out some of my better stuff (Theseus and the Minotaur , the extant footage for the Sinbad film, etc.) to a friend who intended to transfer them to DVD. He hasn't done so yet and still has them in his possession (I really need to ask for them back, but at least I know they're safe). Converting them to a more accessible format is a very wise idea indeed, one I've toyed with for ages but have never done anything about. Delay, of course, isn't smart... the longer I wait, the more compromised the 40 year old source material becomes. And there's always the chance I could lose it again! Someday I seriously intend to get to it, I swear!

What was it about and how long did it run, if I may ask?

Well, since I don't want to give away my real life identity on a forum like this, I won't say the title, but it was basicly a children's story about a cat who travels to the North Pole. It was a 6-7 minute animated short film, shot on 16mm film with a Crass rostrum camera.
I graduated with this project in 2005, and at that point the equipment was already 25 years old, and had been repaired makeshift-wise many times over the years. Lighting was provided by two 800watt hallogen lamps. (who emitted a tropical heat as well). Since I had backdrops consisting of numerous layers, I had to build a makeshift multi-plan as well, with glass panels for most layers. Some effects like waves in water had to be done on a seperate layer with oil paint (repainted for each new frame).
And there were some crazy sequences that involved a whole series of cross-disolves in double exposure...

I myself was never such a good animator, and I had a much greater interest in the graphical side of animation.

I'm thinking about Czech fantasy filmmaker Karl Zeman, principally, whose wonderful work has never failed to inspire!
Wasn't he the one who made that animated feature about "1001 nights" or "Sinbad" ? I remember seeing that as a little kid (must have been 6 years old or so) and it totally creeped me out at that time :laughing: .

EDIT: I attached two photo's to illustrate just how terribly primitive the circumstances were (in 2005!) in which I had to do my animation...

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 10
  • camera_multiplan.jpg
    camera_multiplan.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Once again I am behind to a terrible degree. I am glad, however, that my ugly mug has left the stage free for scavenger to tell all! Fascinating stuff you two have done, I must say. It is amazing to me, at least, to look at old films like Clash and then realize that not one but two members have done similar work! I do agree; if the LBH's old reels ever do see digitization I too would greatly enjoy seeing them. The ultimate in home movies! :p

I can see all the time you must have spent hunched over that apparatus, scavenger! I assume that the varying layers of glass are the different layers of the shot itself, foreground to background. I know so little of how the animated (drawn or otherwise) motion pictures I see come into being and to see the machinery behind it all is most interesting! I thank you for sharing your former workbench with us. :happy:

Now, the script I missed ... a small inkling, I had, that the byclops would return to fight again. No match for scales and fangs, although he saved the heroes despite himself. How Ravana was so frightened by a spear to the chest (what fear a skeletal man?) I do not know, nor do I know how he managed to become a mate upon the golden vessel. I guess even the undead would flee a collapsing stronghold; perhaps, being likely a summoned creation, he requires a master to survive, although not so willing is he here. Ah, the magic of tying together loose ends in a sentence or two!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since I don't want to give away my real life identity on a forum like this, I won't say the title, but it was basicly a children's story about a cat who travels to the North Pole.
Your story sounds entirely charming! I'm terribly fond of feline protagonists (as in Puss in Boots)! Also, the North Pole setting offers the sort of exotic, dramatic possibilities animation was made for!

It was a 6-7 minute animated short film, shot on 16mm film with a Crass rostrum camera.

I graduated with this project in 2005, and at that point the equipment was already 25 years old, and had been repaired makeshift-wise many times over the years. Lighting was provided by two 800watt hallogen lamps. (who emitted a tropical heat as well). Since I had backdrops consisting of numerous layers, I had to build a makeshift multi-plan as well, with glass panels for most layers. Some effects like waves in water had to be done on a seperate layer with oil paint (repainted for each new frame).
And there were some crazy sequences that involved a whole series of cross-disolves in double exposure...

...I attached two photo's to illustrate just how terribly primitive the circumstances were (in 2005!) in which I had to do my animation...
Primative the equipment may have been and doubtless a challenge to use, but it sure sounds and looks impressive to me! Multiplaning! That's something I've always wanted to try! The technique can supply an incredible sense of depth and movement! I can only imagine the rigor of your operation, with so many layers of complexity to look after! And if you needed to repaint scene elements as well... lord, individual setups must have taken hours!

I myself was never such a good animator, and I had a much greater interest in the graphical side of animation.
I'll bet you excelled at character sheets! Personality and dynamic action come so naturally to you!

Wasn't he the one who made that animated feature about "1001 nights" or "Sinbad" ? I remember seeing that as a little kid (must have been 6 years old or so) and it totally creeped me out at that time :laughing:
Karl Zeman isn't totally unknown in the US, but is far less recognizable than I feel he deserves. A handful of his movies made their way to the American market throughout the '60s and 70's, often through pretty obscure channels. The Fabulous World of Jules Verne (I have no idea what the original Czech title translated into; I could look it up, I guess, but I'm too lazy at present! XD) is probably his best known release. I saw it in a drive-in, which is no testament to its quality... a lot of high profile movies found their way into drive-ins. Its art direction is most unusual, shot in such a way as to simulate the look of wood-cut illustration. Fabulous it certainly is, filled with 1800s-era submarine action, giant octopii, and volcano hideouts! The Fabulous Baron Munchausen played only on TV, to my knowledge (that's the only place I ever saw it, anyway). It's tone is rather dreamy and it features much model and paper animation. Journey to the Beginning of Time also played on early '60s TV, but in a weird serialized form. It deals with a bunch of kids who take a rowboat ride backward through prehistory, and shows signs of heavy US editing (the distributor evidently wanted the film start in New York). On the Comet is an entertaining adaptation of Jules Verne's novel Hector Servadac... I've only ever seen it on VHS tape. The only untranslated Zeman film I've attended is War of the Fools, which I caught at a revival theater in Berkley. Of the five films, it's the only non-fantasy (it's a 18th century war farce... sort of similar in tone to Falstaff's scenes in Henry IV, part 1), although fanciful animation depicting anthropomorphic storm clouds sure make it seem like one. I'd like to hope that this important filmmaker will someday receive his due with freshly restored prints of these and his more obscure titles on DVD. I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime, though.

Once again I am behind to a terrible degree. I am glad, however, that my ugly mug has left the stage free for scavenger to tell all! Fascinating stuff you two have done, I must say. It is amazing to me, at least, to look at old films like Clash and then realize that not one but two members have done similar work!
Old! Clash of the Titans is an old film! Omygod! I'm crumbling into dust! Save me! What a world!... what a world....

Of course, Clash of the Titans really is an old film... released way back in the early '80s... but it's never seemed that way to me. I was nearly 30 at the time and my memories of the era are still pretty distinct, not much less so than those from last year. Small wonder my time sense gets scrambled! Journey to the Center of the Earth (the first film I remember seeing in a theater)... now that's an old film!

I can see all the time you must have spent hunched over that apparatus, scavenger! I assume that the varying layers of glass are the different layers of the shot itself, foreground to background. I know so little of how the animated (drawn or otherwise) motion pictures I see come into being and to see the machinery behind it all is most interesting! I thank you for sharing your former workbench with us. :happy:
Seconded! :)

I do agree; if the LBH's old reels ever do see digitization I too would greatly enjoy seeing them. The ultimate in home movies! :p
I'd love to be able to do it! I've always planned to, and only sloth prevents me. It's the only way anyone's ever going to see these films again. Running 'em through a projector just isn't in the cards: I don't own a working one anymore and I'd be leery trusting my prints to someone else's rig (on the unlikely chance that anyone still owns such antique equipment). Please rest assured that I fully intend to share if I ever get them converted!

Now, the script I missed ... a small inkling, I had, that the byclops would return to fight again. No match for scales and fangs, although he saved the heroes despite himself.
That's sort of the way things play out in 7th Voyage, although it's a different giant taking on the dragon. And the fight fulfills pretty much the same function (causing a distraction so the good guys can get away). Very First Voyage isn't a completely slavishly lock-step copy of 7th Voyage, but it's still way too close for it's own good!

How Ravana was so frightened by a spear to the chest (what fear a skeletal man?) I do not know, nor do I know how he managed to become a mate upon the golden vessel. I guess even the undead would flee a collapsing stronghold; perhaps, being likely a summoned creation, he requires a master to survive, although not so willing is he here. Ah, the magic of tying together loose ends in a sentence or two!
Yeah, in retrospect the spearing scene really bugs me, too. The idea was supposed to be that the Dead One was over-reacting to a thrust that would have done in a living opponent... upon rereading for presentation here, the conceit seems awfully lame. Neither am I sure how he "survived" the cavern collapse, though this detail disturbs me less (when inconvenient logic threatens, simply ignore it!) I must say, I like your reasoning about Ravana's need to serve (HDS to the rescue!), and am fully prepared to accept this gift! Listen for it if the question ever crops up again!

Old! Clash of the Titans is an old film! Omygod! I'm crumbling into dust! Save me! What a world!... what a world....

Of course, Clash of the Titans really is an old film... released way back in the early '80s... but it's never seemed that way to me. I was nearly 30 at the time and my memories of the era are still pretty distinct, not much less so than those from last year. Small wonder my time sense gets scrambled! Journey to the Center of the Earth (the first film I remember seeing in a theater)... now that's an old film!

It really is only from the 80's? That isn't old at all (although 80's music is now oldies as I recall). I had thought it was a product of an even earlier era (shows my knowledge of the film world, eh?). Nothing wrong with aged works, of course. The Marx Brothers films are as fantastic today as they were all those decades ago, despite how few today watch them. So many others are excellent works, from Gunga Din to Metropolis to even the relatively new Enter the Dragon. I can't think, though, of the oldest film I've seen with the sort of animation you and scavenger both are practitioners of. It might be the 1925 version of The Lost World, although I can't be certain. That one is legitimately old. :p

Any confusion surrounding Harryhausen is understandable: his color films started in the late '50s and lasted into the early '80s... yet, for all the difference in tone, they might as well all have been made at exactly the same time. None of them was set in the era it was made; each was a "period" piece (Victorian England, mythological Greece or Arabia, wild west, prehistory, etc.), and therefore eschews the contemporary fashion trends that tend to date movies. Too, Harryhausen seemed to dominate his productions, and evidence suggests he was a pretty changeless guy. Scope out any picture of him at any given moment in his career, and he looks almost exactly the same! Small wonder his work seems to exist outside normal timelines!

Couldn't agree with you more about vintage cinema! I cut my teeth on films from all decades... stuff from the '30s to the '60s were common fare when I was growing up, and became ubiquitous when UHF stations began to stay on all night (without network affiliation, each station depended on its library of cheap ol' movies to fill up the time. This is stuff you probably already know... I'm relating it for the youngsters! XD) No more, alas. Without cable and specific movie stations, try to find a non-color film playing at any time throughout the day! It can't be done! Mostly, it's all-night infommercials hawking real estate... progress this aint!

I love silent films! And with the advent of DVD they're easier than ever to get! "The Mark of Zorro", "The Man Who Laughs", 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Ben Hur", "The 10 Commandments", "The General", "Safety Last", the aforementioned "Metropolis" and "The Lost World", on and on... a tidy collection of titles! Fine companies like Kino, Image and Criterion are saving old masterpieces from obscurity and disrepair! Audio options allow for restored old scores (the original music for "Metropolis" was a revelation!) and scholarly commentary tracks! I was griping a moment ago about broadcast TV, but home collecting has more than made up for it! Cheaper, more convenient and a wider range of choices than ever before!

Last edited:
the original music for "Metropolis" was a revelation!
I'm assuming you are referring to the original orchestral score on the 2002 restored version by the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation?
(only recently released as a 2-DVD special edition)

I've seen Metopolis about 20 times now (in all different versions), and it's my all time favourite movie. (call me a freak) The 2002 version is the most complete (even though some parts will probably never resurface again) up to date, and thus my favourite one (apart from the really cool "colored" 80's version with synthesizer music by Georgio Moroder).
I've actually seen most of Lang's work, including "The woman in the moon" (Der frau im Mond) (which clearly inspired Belgian comic artist Hergé for his Tintin comic "Men on the Moon") And then there was "Spies" (Spionne), which launched every single spy-movie cliché that are still used today.

Ah, the German expressionist movies of the 20's - 30's! Easily my favourite era in film history... I could ramble on for hours about it! :laughing:

It might be the 1925 version of The Lost World, although I can't be certain. That one is legitimately old. :p
Oh yeah! And there was this "apeman" character played by some guy in an ape-suit with a real chimpansee as a "lesser evolved" sidekick (well, that's what I suppose it was meant to look like) :laughing:

I'm assuming you are referring to the original orchestral score on the 2002 restored version by the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation?
(only recently released as a 2-DVD special edition)

That's the one I had in mind, Scav! The Kino Video release featuring Gottfried Huppertz's original orchestral score, and what a beauty it is! I first saw "Metropolis" back in the '70s via a washed-out Blackhawk super-8 print, murky, truncated and (most damaging of all) sans any soundtrack. At the time, this landmark movie seemed mighty overrated and the reason had everything to do with the missing music. The score is critical to experience, not so much because it's gorgeous (which it certainly is, however. I often put on the DVD simply to luxuriate in its symphonic richness) but because the cues are critically important for pacing and for bridging scenes. The false Maria's dance number, for instance, makes no sense at all when played silent: cuts between the Yoshiwara nightclub and Freder's sick-bed are leaden and confusing unless tied together by the music's impetus. Too, distinctive leitmotif use alerts viewers to important parallel incident: Freder's agonized appeal to Joh at Babel headquarters is prefigured and made all the more affecting by the resurgence of the catastrophic "Moloch" theme; La Marseillaise is evoked in later proceedings to accentuate the giddy atmosphere of revolt, etc.

Earlier this year, I attended a "Metropolis" screening for which one of our local high school orchestras performed the score live (this may have been a nation-wide thing... seems to me I heard about other high schools similarly engaged). While they weren't hitting all the cues perfectly (lots of pauses, especially late in the film, waiting for the action to catch up), it was a rather electric experience! A "hand's on" quality entirely absent from today's cinema!

Plus, in this new version of Metropolis the image quality is far superior to any previous versions. Several original scenes have been reintegrated that make the story much clearer (for example, it was never clear to me how Maria ends up from rescuing the children with Freder to being chased at the cathedral by Rotwang). The stylized, animated "dawn" at the start of the movie (forming the title) is very clear and sharp now as well (previously being a blurry mass of shapes siding across a backdrop of buildings.

it was a rather electric experience! A "hand's on" quality entirely absent from today's cinema!

I agree completely, as I had a similar experience several years ago. There was this free (!) projection of "the cabinet of dr. Caligari" at the Flanders Film Festival, accompanied by a live music band. It was one of these big movie theatres, and they had this stage for the musicians below the screen, all done in the angular Caligari style -complete with two crooked street lanterns, emitting differently colored light to match the partial colouration for the movie (brown for indoor/day scenes, blue for night scenes). It was a band playing modern music (violin/synthesizer/electric guitars and a singer) and there was a narrator to "read" the diary of Caligari when it appeared in the movie. (with a ghostly, echoing voice)
The band's style was a bit metal-like, but this fitted perfectly with the film's schizophrenic atmosphere. Pity I never got my hands on that soundtrack -I didn't found out much about that band either (Feathers on Wings was their name, I believe)

This was really one of the most impressive projections I ever attended. A few years back there was a similar projection of "Orlacks Hands" at the opera house, but that one was very expensive, so I didn't went to see it (which I regret now).

Sounds like a very classy production, with props and all! Free, too (I had to pay for my show... it was some sort of fund-raiser for the school orchestra... but well worth the money)! Caligari is such a stylized, frenetic, off-kilter experience, modern music fits it just fine. I'm not sure I've ever seen it with anything resembling a vintage score, in fact. I recently picked up another German expressionistic silent, something called Warning Shadows by director Arthur Robinson (which, granted, doesn't sound German... this is definitely classified as German expressionism, though) which, while more traditionally period than Caligari, would likewise tolerate an unconventional score. This film stars Fritz Rasp in a small role, the sinister "Thin Man" spy from Metropolis... an interesting, distinctive looking actor. I'd like to find out more about him.

I'd also like to learn more about this silent Orlac. I've seen a few of the sound remakes, Peter Lorre's Mad Love best known amongst them.

Note: after a short wikipedia search, I see the film stars Caligari's Conrad Veidt. Man, this conversation is becoming really unified!

Well, Caligari is from 1919, the very dawn of expressionist film, back in those days the score was done mostly by a single pianist (depending on the theatre). The restored version of metropolis features the score that was iused for the grand premiere of the movie. Any subsequent projection would be accompanied as the musician pleased.
In the very early days things were even weirder... You ever heard of Georges Meliès? He was the one who basically invented the concept of "cinema". He was the first to combine theatre with the new medium called "film" -unlike the documentary experiments of the Lumière Brothers or the "nickelodeons" of Edison.
Much of Meliès' work has gone lost, but his most important works were preserved. There was once a special projection just for our school at one of the smaller movie theatres in the cty where I live. The granddaughter of Meliès himself was a "bonimenteur" for that showing, a person who "explained" the action and told the story (no intertitles in those early days). Her son, a gifted pianist accompanied the film with live music on stage(perfectly in key with the action). This was a very unique experience, more so because some of the film reels were rare, hand-coloured copies.

It wasn't uncommon for actors in the German scene to play in different films of befriended directors. Fritz Rasp for example played the bad guy in "the woman in the moon" (Fritz Lang must have had a big preference for this actor, as he has a role in Spionne as well.

Also, I recently
discovered an english digitized version (from Project Gutenberg I believe) of Thea Von Harbou's novelization of Metropolis (Von Harbou was Langs wife and also the scriptwriter for Metropolis) This novel was released together with the premiere of the film in 1926, and shows the story in a very interesting and different perspective.
Send me a PM if you're interested in it :)

Yes indeed, I'm very familiar with Georges Meliès (Karel Zeman's features actually recall Meliès, as a matter of fact, in the rather didactic, richly stylized way his visuals are presented, and in their strongly whimsical tone)! You're wildly fortunate to have met his granddaughter and heard her accompanying commentary; I'm green with envy!!! Meliès was "rediscovered" in the late '60s and '70s (his films became easy to see at conventions and special screenings). A piece of serendipity, as it coincided with the big boom in home-owned super-8 features and shorts: plenty of his titles became available as one-reelers, stuff like A Trip to the Moon and Conquest of the Pole. I recently picked up a DVD collection of his work, The Magic of Meliès... possibly a commemoration of the same project you're referring to. It does feature a running narration, but I don't remember if the speaker is any relation to Meliès. The shorts came accompanied by a painstaking, fascination documentary about the movie pioneer, exhaustively informative and well worth the price of the disc all on its own!

My familiarity with Fritz Lang is rather spotty (Metropolis, the two Nibelungen films, M, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, and that's about it), which may explain why I haven't seen so much of Rasp! I know Woman in the Moon and Spionne by reputation (that is to say, I've read about them and have viewed snippets from Woman in the Moon), and would dearly love to see these films! They're likely already available on DVD... I could probably find them with a bit of diligent searching. The Lang section of my film library could certainly stand to be more inclusive, for cultural literacy if for no other reason.

Also, I recently
discovered an english digitized version (from Project Gutenberg I believe) of Thea Von Harbou's novelization of Metropolis (Von Harbou was Langs wife and also the scriptwriter for Metropolis) This novel was released together with the premiere of the film in 1926, and shows the story in a very interesting and different perspective.
Send me a PM if you're interested in it :)
Will certainly am and will do so! Grateful thanks!

Last edited:
What's New

5/19/2024
There will be Tivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT! Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back