• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What did we learn from this weekend's NFL Playoff Games

RobAce

Verified
Well, 4 games and 4 winners. What did we learn.

Well here is what I learned.

ATLANTA: This team has a great future. Experience matters in the playoffs. 3rd down pass coverage should not be loose. Don't give up on running the ball.

ARIZONA: Edgrinn James still has some tread left on the tires. Arizona's defense can score, and play big when properly motivated. Arizona can score quickly. Great home team.

INDIANAPOLIS: Bob Sanders needs to have a few more games under his belt before playing in the big one. Manning may be able to shoulder the load for 9 straight games, but 10 is asking a bit much. Anthony Gonzales will surpass Harrison next year as the next threat behind Wayne and Clark. Indianapolis needs to draft defense and a bruising RB. RUSH THE PUNTER!

SAN DIEGO: Hot teams with a chip on their shoulder should not be dismissed easily. Sproles is the next Turner in free agency, but I do not think San Diego will let him go. LT is important, but no longer the focal point of San Diego winning, Phillip Rivers is. SPECIAL TEAMS CAN WIN YOU THE GAME!!

BALTIMORE: Pressure the QB, force him into mistakes then make the play. Flacco still can not play well against a good defense. Baltimore can run, and will. Baltimore strength is still its defense, no matter what people read into the regular season.

MIAMI: Pennington is good, not great. Without a deep threat, the run game goes no where. Miami needs a top flight speed option at WR. Experience matters in the playoffs.

MINNESOTA: Jackson is good, not great. Playoff experience at QB matters in the playoffs. Adrian Peterson alone is not enough to win a playoff game. Minnesota's defense can hold only so long without the offense helping or giving up field position.

PHILADELPHIA: Donovan McNabb is not washed up yet. Westbrook even when held in check most of the game, sometimes needs only that 1 big play to make a difference. If you focus on stopping Westbrook, McNabb can beat you. Philly's receivers may not be big names, but make the catches.

Well, what about the rest of you, any thoughts?

Rob

Well, 4 games and 4 winners. What did we learn.

Well here is what I learned.

ATLANTA: This team has a great future. Experience matters in the playoffs. 3rd down pass coverage should not be loose. Don't give up on running the ball.

ARIZONA: Edgrinn James still has some tread left on the tires. Arizona's defense can score, and play big when properly motivated. Arizona can score quickly. Great home team.

INDIANAPOLIS: Bob Sanders needs to have a few more games under his belt before playing in the big one. Manning may be able to shoulder the load for 9 straight games, but 10 is asking a bit much. Anthony Gonzales will surpass Harrison next year as the next threat behind Wayne and Clark. Indianapolis needs to draft defense and a bruising RB. RUSH THE PUNTER!

SAN DIEGO: Hot teams with a chip on their shoulder should not be dismissed easily. Sproles is the next Turner in free agency, but I do not think San Diego will let him go. LT is important, but no longer the focal point of San Diego winning, Phillip Rivers is. SPECIAL TEAMS CAN WIN YOU THE GAME!!

BALTIMORE: Pressure the QB, force him into mistakes then make the play. Flacco still can not play well against a good defense. Baltimore can run, and will. Baltimore strength is still its defense, no matter what people read into the regular season.

MIAMI: Pennington is good, not great. Without a deep threat, the run game goes no where. Miami needs a top flight speed option at WR. Experience matters in the playoffs.

MINNESOTA: Jackson is good, not great. Playoff experience at QB matters in the playoffs. Adrian Peterson alone is not enough to win a playoff game. Minnesota's defense can hold only so long without the offense helping or giving up field position.

PHILADELPHIA: Donovan McNabb is not washed up yet. Westbrook even when held in check most of the game, sometimes needs only that 1 big play to make a difference. If you focus on stopping Westbrook, McNabb can beat you. Philly's receivers may not be big names, but make the catches.

Well, what about the rest of you, any thoughts?

Rob

agreed on atlanta except ryan has no room to call himself matty ice yet

completly agreed on arizona and have to add in they are very opertunistic they didnt get it done all game but when they needed to they made plays and thats a great thing to have in the playoffs

add this to indy they are terrible anytime they play a 3-4 because they run a timing offense and when its off they look bad... and add this manning is as bad is to when losing he pouts and yells at everyone else and shoulders no blame why doesnt this get any attention?

add to baltimore flacco has such a big arm he can throw it 65-70 yards and connect on one big play at any time and with that defense he really only needs 1-2 big plays a game... and they have the most dinamic run offense left in the playoffs

couldnt agree more about miami they need to draft 2 recievers and dont let pennington shoulder too much of the blame everyone is allowed a bad game or 2 .. i cant understand only dressing 3 recievers for a game thats just idiotic

add to san diego lt will back up sproles next year.. the rest you said beautifully

add to minnesota they need a veterant qb not a rookie that takes time to develop because this team is superbowl good now outside of needing a vet at quarterback and a young reciever

add to philly they dont have a great defense but it is good enough to stop you when they need to

Pretty much in agreement on the teams, but I'll add this to the overall state of the playoffs.

Nothing from the regular seasons counts.

Who could have seen Arizona developing a run defense in one game? That was pretty much the prognostication from everyone, that Atlanta would run over them.

Once you hit the playoffs, it's 0-0 for everyone and one good game changes everything.

And, I do agree about Minnesota. Defense held as long as they could, and the offense was moving the ball until it ran out of steam. You HAVE to focus on special teams, especially in the playoffs where field position is everything. Even a mediocre offense has scoring opportunities when starting inside opponents' territory. Minny IS Super Bowl-ready if they can get their hands on a vet QB and a true deep threat. Most teams look for that "QB of the Future", but with a team that's only missing one piece, you go out and get that one piece.

Here's one more thing we've learned from the Wild Card round: There's a reason the last 3 champs have come from this round. You get hot, you're prepared with what's in front of you. Rest is overrated.

Seeing as how it was the only game I picked right, I'm sticking with my Baltimore pick. I just don't see a single offense right now that can match up against that monster D.

What was sorely missing from the playoffs was the Patriots. it would have made it more exciting. :iagree:

Another lesson:

Norv Turner now has a better playoff record than Marty Schottenhemier percentage-wise.

3-1 v. 5-13.

Another lesson:

The best team in January wins the Super Bowl, not the team with the best winning record in the regular season.

8-8 During the regular season, who cares? You made the playoffs.

And home field advantage doesn't guarantee 2 playoff victories anyomre. Ask Kansas City in 1995 and 1997. Pittsburgh was No 6 and won the whole damn thing.

I've learned that no matter how much you drink, it doesn't make a playoff loss feel any better.

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::facepalm:

I learned that the Ravens may be the only legit contender in the WC round.

The Chargers should go to Vegas with all the luck coming their way.

Arizona can score, which may keep them competitive, but will probably not lead to any more W's.

Eagles need to step up, because T-Jack won't be there to hand them any more games.

The losers aren't good enough...yet.

I learned that the Ravens may be the only legit contender in the WC round.

The Chargers should go to Vegas with all the luck coming their way.

Arizona can score, which may keep them competitive, but will probably not lead to any more W's.

Eagles need to step up, because T-Jack won't be there to hand them any more games.

The losers aren't good enough...yet.

I agree.

Yeah, I pretty much agree as well. The Eagles will not have it handed to them this time.

On that note, however, the Eagles and Giants split this year...each winning on the other's home turf. Not that I think it'll make a lickin' difference. Even though the Eagles beat Minnesota, they had to really fight for it and get some breaks. The Giants are much better and won't be giving up that kind of field position.

While I don't see San Diego going in and walloping Pittsburgh, don't be so sure it won't be a competitive game. Indy is a team that doesn't do well against the 3-4, and Pittsburgh couldn't care less what defense you throw at them....but SD is still competitive and should at least make the Steelers work for it. And in a way, that's good. They're going to need it when they go up against the Ravens. Now...that should be a monumental game (could actually be the real Super Bowl), one that WILL go to the better defense. All the talk of Joe Flacco being a rookie (who cares? He's actually better than he gets credit for) and Big Ben having a concussion (who cares? He's like Troy Aikman was...can get knocked around and still win you games) are moot. It'll come down to the defenses in that game. Mark my words.

put really simply the losers dont matter so here is what we learned about the winners

Ravens- their defense is good enought to carry this team to the superbowl and their running game gets better as the game goes on

Chargers- they are the hottest team in the nfl and the hot team is always the most dangerous

Arizona- they have a good passing game and a good enough running game

Philly- Mcnabb can still get it done and the eagles find ways to win regardless of stats

Vikings / Eagles Game

And, I do agree about Minnesota. Defense held as long as they could, and the offense was moving the ball until it ran out of steam. You HAVE to focus on special teams, especially in the playoffs where field position is everything. Even a mediocre offense has scoring opportunities when starting inside opponents' territory. Minny IS Super Bowl-ready if they can get their hands on a vet QB and a true deep threat. Most teams look for that "QB of the Future", but with a team that's only missing one piece, you go out and get that one piece.

I can think of a few plays that killed the Vikings:

Two huge punt returns. This has been a sore spot all year. The special teams coach should be fired. We have a pretty good punter and the rest comes down to coaching.

That pick-6 really hurt...bad. Terrible decision to throw the out route and a good jump on the ball by the Philly D-back.

A huge screen pass to Westbrook broke the Purple's back. The D did a good job of keeping him in check, until that play. I was waiting for something like that to happen.

Finally, when Matt Birk dribbled the shotgun formation snap to T-Jack it was over. Down 2 scores in the playoff, you just don't make those kind of mistakes. Especially a veteran All-Pro like Birk. He may never wear Purple again as his hefty contract is up this year.

*And on a side note Dave*
No deep threat?
What do you call Bernard Berrian?
That's why we paid so much for him, he's a true speed burner that can stretch the defense. The WR's were banged up all year (especially Sidney Rice) and Berrian has shown glimpses of big-play ability.

Off Season:

I think we need another good OT and more depth on D.

I agree that QB is the big ???.
Veteran fill-in or stick with TJack and draft a rookie? I say the first option (except Favre. I'd rather start my hair on fire than see him in Purple).
The Vikings have to do something now because the window is closing on our O & D lines.

Free Agency: Who do we keep vs. Who's gone.

We have 18 free agents, including five restricted free agents.

The notable names who are unrestricted free agents include center Matt Birk, safety Darren Sharper, tight end Jim Kleinsasser and special teams star Heath Farwell.

The other unrestricted free agents: defensive tackles Kenderick Allen, Jimmy Kennedy and Ellis Wyms, safety Michael Boulware, cornerback Benny Sapp, linebackers Napoleon Harris and Dontarrious Thomas, and tackle Marcus Johnson.

The restricted free agents: defensive tackle Fred Evans, cornerback Charles Gordon, defensive ends Otis Grigsby and Jayme Mitchell, and fullback Naufahu Tahi.

Coaching:

Ziggy made it clear that Brad Childress will be back as head coach. While I'm not a big Chilly fan, it's hard to argue with at decision. Even if he does hide behind his play card and get :omnomnom: all over his mustache.

DC Leslie Fraiser will probably go to Detroit as the new head coach. I really hope that doesn't happen, but what can you do? It's going to be tough to replace him.

I am just glad the Ravens are in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I hope they go all the way. But after enduring last years 5-11 let down after the previous years 13-3 Division Championship followed by a one-and-done everything from here on out is just an awesome bonus.

HAPPY PLAYOFFS EVERYONE!!!

put really simply the losers dont matter so here is what we learned about the winners

Ravens- their defense is good enought to carry this team to the superbowl and their running game gets better as the game goes on

Chargers- they are the hottest team in the nfl and the hot team is always the most dangerous

Very true about the chargers.

But they're still lucky as hell (see their W vs. KC)

Arizona- they have a good passing game and a good enough running game

Philly- Mcnabb can still get it done and the eagles find ways to win regardless of stats

No, they don't.

In fact, they're one of the worst.

Iggles are scrappy, though.

Very true about the chargers.

But they're still lucky as hell (see their W vs. KC)

No, they don't.

In fact, they're one of the worst.

Iggles are scrappy, though.

i dont mean overall i meant that they had a good enough run game in the playoffs and have a good enough run game to stay balanced

What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back