• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What do English people speak?

Violetta

4th Level Indigo Feather
Okay, so this has been a question I've had for some time now. And before you open your virtual mouths, I'm not talking about behaviour, or vitamins, or cheers. No, I'm referring to the odd phenomenon wherein if I see someone from the United Kingdom on the internet, there seems to be a great chance that they cannot type correctly in their so-called native language. It's such a common occurrance, that it's made me really start wondering what's going on?

Has anyone else noticed this? Can any Brits shed some light on why capitalization, punctuation, and spelling don't seem so greatly prioritized? I know there are butt-tons of Americans who can't type for crap, but it seems bizarre that a people who're so precise about so much of language misuse it so badly in a textual medium.

Discuss.

Please clarify. Most of the Brits I've seen on this and other forums type as well or as badly as anyone from this side of The Pond.

I have to admit: if it weren't for my blessed Mozilla spell-checker, I'd probably come off as an (even bigger)idiot. It's making me terrible lazy, though.

Not to immediately veer of-topic or anything... ;)

so sorry i've gotten into the habit of not capitalizing, it drives hubby crazy. however if i'm typing an official letter etc, or story, i do utilize the caps..am i lazy? hmm beats me..

I've never noticed this... at all. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Brit) :p

I mean, the people who do use correct grammar and spelling online are a rare few. Most people just type what they want to say in a way that feels more comfortable to them. Like Izzy who has admitted that she doesn't capitalise or use correct punctuation. It's just a habbit. ^^

So you can't really say that the Brits are more prone to doing this than other people. Just because it's our language, it doesn't mean we can't abuse it as much as you Americans do. :p

... Well, you can say that... You just did... but I wouldn't consider it a justified argument myself. ^^

But if you're asking why some people talk like the following:

"Hy ow r u? im good ta. up 2 much? ttyl."

Then you're referring to the younger generation of Brits who spend most of their time communicating via text message. They've gotten into a habit of typing like that, and now do it online because it's "quicker" and "easier". :p

So yeah, either way, it's just a habit. Nothing more. ^^

And don't talk to us Brits about abusing our language like we're the only ones. You yanks have abused it just as much as we have. :p

Budweiserbob! hit the nail right on the head! I saw this thread and then went off to eat my tea before I came to reply, only to find that he had written what I thought anyway.

Some people just aren't as bothered about using correct grammar and punctuation as others, and some would argue that it's not very important anyway, so long as you can clearly understand what is being said. Some would also argue that it is the natural evolution of the language - we use contractions such as "it's" for "it is" and "don't" for "do not", so some feel that further abbreviation and contraction is natural.

Personally, I like writing in proper English - a keen interest in the written word, dozens of essays and writing fiction makes me do it! But I won't have a go at anyone who doesn't :) It's just things get into a habit of doing.

As for the citizens of the UK being prime culprits of using mongrel English, well... you speak as you find, and I don't find that at all :D

well us english are a mistery and it's not that we can't do all that it's just the fact that some off us prefer to type like we're txting don't ask why but some off us do

I've never noticed this... at all. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Brit) :p

I mean, the people who do use correct grammar and spelling online are a rare few. Most people just type what they want to say in a way that feels more comfortable to them. Like Izzy who has admitted that she doesn't capitalise or use correct punctuation. It's just a habbit. ^^

So you can't really say that the Brits are more prone to doing this than other people. Just because it's our language, it doesn't mean we can't abuse it as much as you Americans do. :p

... Well, you can say that... You just did... but I wouldn't consider it a justified argument myself. ^^

But if you're asking why some people talk like the following:

"Hy ow r u? im good ta. up 2 much? ttyl."

Then you're referring to the younger generation of Brits who spend most of their time communicating via text message. They've gotten into a habit of typing like that, and now do it online because it's "quicker" and "easier". :p

So yeah, either way, it's just a habit. Nothing more. ^^

And don't talk to us Brits about abusing our language like we're the only ones. You yanks have abused it just as much as we have. :p

Read my OP. I already said we can't type. I just find it odd that you guys who originated the language are often so bad at it. And maybe that's why I've noticed it so much. But, somehow you haven't noticed it. If you'd like, I could name names. ;) And it may be pure coincidence that I've noticed so many illiterate Brits, but it seems that typers from other countries can at least use periods or commas. Perhaps I just talk to so many of you people that guys like you become a vast minority.

Budweiserbob! hit the nail right on the head! I saw this thread and then went off to eat my tea before I came to reply, only to find that he had written what I thought anyway.

Some people just aren't as bothered about using correct grammar and punctuation as others, and some would argue that it's not very important anyway, so long as you can clearly understand what is being said. Some would also argue that it is the natural evolution of the language - we use contractions such as "it's" for "it is" and "don't" for "do not", so some feel that further abbreviation and contraction is natural.

Personally, I like writing in proper English - a keen interest in the written word, dozens of essays and writing fiction makes me do it! But I won't have a go at anyone who doesn't :) It's just things get into a habit of doing.

As for the citizens of the UK being prime culprits of using mongrel English, well... you speak as you find, and I don't find that at all :D

So, that's two for two from the UK that don't notice it. I'm beginning to suspect some sort of perception filter. I've got that same sort of background with writing, though. I did it so much in school that it's fair to say I can't write lazily. However, I will bitch about people who can't type, because it makes me have to work to understand them.

Maybe... I only notice this stuff because I take an interest in making sure the people who contact me can't easily come find me without me wanting them to. I may just pay more attention to people's locations.

well us english are a mistery and it's not that we can't do all that it's just the fact that some off us prefer to type like we're txting don't ask why but some off us do

Okay, Bob! Moondog! See what I mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Bob suggested it, and Reap claimed it. Damn kids prefer to type like they're "txting". Why they wish to do this, only God knows.

Christ, I feel like such a Luddite with my 20th Century ways of typing full words, using punctuation, capitalization and proper spelling instead of tiping evry word lk ths n nvr usng n e pnctshn n stuf yea thats hw it is o ya

c i cn do it 2 how u like this is this gd r sumthin i dnt get it i hav 2 take so lng 2 thk abt hw 2 abrvate each ltr tht i wud b fstr 2 just tipe it rite

Goddamn but doing that made my fucking brain and cockles hurt.

Edt... sorry, let me try that again.

Edit: More thoughts.

It's crazy! These kids have replaced standard written English with a DIFFERENT CODIFICATION OF THE LANGUAGE! For me, English is written... this way, the way I'm typing it now. But for the "txtrs", it's something else. I had to think about how to write that crap. I had to take an extra second per word, as though I'm typing in Spanish or something.

But these kids can just do it... without thinking. That shows us that they've learned inherently how to codify English differently from the rest of us, to them, the same language is WRITTEN DIFFERENTLY! It's a linguistic shift, and one I'm not thrilled about.

Last edited:
LOL "how to piss of an entire nation in a single post" by Sammi :D

~K

That's what I figure'll happen. No one'll take my curiousity seriously and discuss things like cultural impact on language or education. No no. I'm just pissing off the UK.

And that's fine with me, too. :punk:

I think it's a genuine question of curiosity as I've noticed it as well oftentimes... As they said, it might be a generation thing thanks to the internet further bastardizing any language in general with "L337 Speak" and dozens of misspellings and somewhat improper use of grammar. I think it may be just limited to typing online and not necessarily when they talk out loud or have to write important documents...since after all, unless you're a grammar nazi, the internet kinda gives you the freedom to bend the rules a bit (or a lot) according to each person's preference.

That, or maybe I'm over-analyzing this.

Well when I write a text on my phone, I write it somewhat abbreviated to get my money's worth of text :) But nothing too obscure of course - 2 for to, 4 for for, things like that. But if it's not on my phone, I write fully, like this.

I think most of the text-talk thing is age-related. Loads of younger people type in text-talk all of the time. I've seen school work written in the bloody stuff, and a few times I've even heard it spoken in conversation. That's pretty bad!

I think that many English people grow up thinking "Well I'm English, I talk English and I can write. What do I need with English class?" That cobbled together with texting 24/7 is a bad concoction. A lot of people foreign to England tend to learn the language formally - their parents and friends speak in their mother tongue, not English. Learning parrot fashion - copying from what you hear every day - you pick up bad habits and things. You can pick up a guitar and learn to play tunes on it, but someone shouts "Okay, this one in the key of B flat, please" and they're screwed. Formal training goes quite a way I think.

Of course, that's just one aspect. There are many more and I feel many of those are going to be covered in this topic unless us Brits decide to don our monacles, doff our bowler hats and pop off for a cup of tea and a spot of Imperialism.

Last edited:
That's what I figure'll happen. No one'll take my curiousity seriously and discuss things like cultural impact on language or education. No no. I'm just pissing off the UK.

And that's fine with me, too. :punk:

hmmm....pissing off the UK ? your not pissing me off so your not exactly pissing everyone off in the UK so your wrong there , you can say what you want about the UK not that bothered because i'm damn proud to be English

Last edited:
I think it has to do with the fact that with the internet people from all over the world have lost the meaning of spell correctness ? ( does such word exists ? by now yes ! i've just copyrighted it ^.^ ) with the forums, blogs and other sites like youtube etc .... the abbreviations drive me mad just cause i don't have a clue what they mean, as from my part i like to read proper words that i can understand, and when i type i try to be proper, and stuff.

sometimes i won't use capitals or dots or , i'll write a meh maybe a :)
but i'll take time to make myself clear , just a matter of respect towards the reader .. sorry teh readerzzzzz :p

so don't blame the Brits !!!!

*has typed all that with a dictonary nearby *

Well Bella the UK does cover three countries, and like the USA we have many nationalities from all over the globe here.
Are you talking UK or in general, or odd people.
I much prefer to look at the content of the posting rather than way, its presented, or spelt.
What does concern me is the foul language and those that knock the UK.
If members need to examine every word they post,and be always politically correct nothing will get posted.
The youngsters are always sending texts and it drives me mad but it will replace English, we don't speak like William Shaksphere any more.
Remember man makes the suit not the other way round so don't look down on people who may be key board challenged,what they put into the site may still be good, and worth while.

Language does evolve and there will always be slang. I do think that, however, it is a generational thing. Children want to speak like their friends do. Even if they would normally speak like educated people they feel the need to imitate what they think is normal. Personally I've never noticed any inclination of the British to murder their own language, but I have noticed that inclination in the younger set across the spectrum. Plus like Meteor said you don't know if you're talking to a Brit, Welsh, Scot or Irish, they do all have regional dialects much like Southerners, New Englanders, Midwesterners, Minnesotans do here in the States.

However, I must protest the use of the word 'Sport' when it is clearly 'Sports'. I think that the Brits just do that to piss us off here in the States. lol

Oh, I noticed that you stated that Americans aren't particularly great at using proper "English". I just wanted to reiterate it. Why? Because I'm an ass like that. :p

As for the reason why, I still put it down to their "comfort zones". By that, I don't mean "What is okay with them and what isn't okay", but I mean what style of writing feels most comfortable for that user.

Reaper writes like that due to a mixture of habit and comfort. He writes like that because he's gotten into the habit of writing like that and because he feels more comfortable typing without the need to focus and concentrate on how he's typing.

We Brit's don't necessarily take pride in our language, so we don't consider the use of complete "proper English" essential. ^^

Even when texting, I usually have to spend time writing out words to completion.

I think the language issue comes from laziness.

Even when texting, I usually have to spend time writing out words to completion.

I think the language issue comes from laziness.

That's me, too. I cannot bring myself to Leet. I suppose I'm a text-failure. Ah, well. I'll live...

Oh, I noticed that you stated that Americans aren't particularly great at using proper "English". I just wanted to reiterate it. Why? Because I'm an ass like that. :p

As for the reason why, I still put it down to their "comfort zones". By that, I don't mean "What is okay with them and what isn't okay", but I mean what style of writing feels most comfortable for that user.

Reaper writes like that due to a mixture of habit and comfort. He writes like that because he's gotten into the habit of writing like that and because he feels more comfortable typing without the need to focus and concentrate on how he's typing.

We Brit's don't necessarily take pride in our language, so we don't consider the use of complete "proper English" essential. ^^

Exactly bob , We English are such a complicated breed ;) u don't have to understand us but u sure as hell love us ;) lol

the accent, your infamous medieval and Victorian era history as well as your sense of humor from what little shows we do get from you guys

but that's just me X3

What's New

5/1/2024
The final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now open. See the GFA forum for details!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back