• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Who Are/Were/ The Longest.. Workers. In Your Family.

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
As I think about family, and my own career, and posed as a question to forum members.. Who is/was the hardest/longest amount of time, workers in your family.

In my family.. in order of length.

Gold Medal.. My maternal grandfather.. Came to America from Poland at age 12.. worked in a drugstore to help his family. Worked.. his whole life.. right up until the night he got sick. with a major stroke, at the end of tax season.. two months short of his 78th bday, as a CPA, and at one point, factory owner. He holds the length of work in my family to my knowledge.. 65 plus years working non stop.

Right behind him.. my dad.. who is now a month short of his 74th bday. Even though he gave up his office since I've moved here.. he still works at home, meetings etc. He's been working non stop since he was 14, at which time he started as a cashier in a market.

My aunt the artist.,,. now past her 73rd bday,. She only very recently stopped painting, because of some physical issues with her knee. She's worked since finishing HS at 17.

So that's the question. Who worked the longest in your family, for how many years, and at what?

One other point I want to make about work.. and for myself.

In regard to Aflac..

"Hangs head in shame". I am one of the oldest people in the company, at least of those who are/were in our office in NYC. My supervisor is in his early 60s. Our "Big Boss" who used to be in our office, but recently got transferred to Chicago, is exactly my age. Jay, the guy who brought me into the company, is 33.

If God willing I'm successful with some of the things I'm working on, and healthy, I would love to work into my 70s like my family members have/did. Looking at the personnel in our company, I don't know if we have a mandatory retirement age.. or.. "Suggested retirement age".

My maternal grandfather worked until he was 80 (his last few-years were semi-retired and he went in to his office maybe 2-3 days per week).

That's cool, Strider.

My grandfather who worked until almost 78. He didn't work "Full time". He moved to FL when he was 69. For a while, it was somewhat full time. He then had some jobs that were.. mornings.. or part time.. and the last couple of years he was working.. basically during tax season only, even if full days, and just sporadically at other times of the year, but he always did something, sometimes.

My oldest sister worked from 1968 until 2013 which is 45 years. My mom was right behind her with 44 years with the VA hospital. Both of them worked in healthcare as nurses; my sister went from nursing to Medical Records and Quality Control. Both of them passed away at 67 and 68 years old.

For me, it doesn't pay to work like that and not be around to enjoy the fruits of your labor.....:sowrong:

I'd have to say my maternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother. Grandad, I imagine, started working at like 13 or 14 before he lied about his age and joined the military at 15. And as far as I know, he worked right up until the week before he died. He had various jobs, but hosted a radio show and wrote a couple books in his later years. My grandma had like 7 kids and lived on a farm. Pretty much sums up a life of labor right there lol

My dad worked for over 44 years. He got 8 years out of retirement before he passed away. After reading this thread I'm almost too embarrassed to say I retired after only 33 years at age 50 :eek:

Considering my father (at 68 years old) is the longest living male on his side of the family I would go with him.

kis, I see your point.

maniac.. your dad is one of the oldest people I've heard of who still works.

I don't see my dad retiring, unless heaven forbid he's forced to for some unforeseen health issue. For those that don't know, he has two permanently disabled rotator cuffs, from accidents, and surgeries, years ago. He cant play golf or tennis, because of his shoulder problems, so he would be bored out of his mind if he retired. My aunt talks about how bored she is, not being able to paint because of her knee.

My father worked in a Textile Mill for almost 40 years until he was in his mid 60's. He is now semi retired and teaches carpentry at a community college. He told me he worked in a kitchen from the time he was 16 until he finished college, so my guess is he's worked pretty regularly for the past 50 years or so

Sounds like your dad has worked for a long time, Allie.

My paternal grandfather started as a farmer at age 22. The only day he didn't work was on Sundays, and the only holidays he celebrated where he didn't work was Easter and Christmas. He was run over by a tractor and disc in the field when he accidently knocked it into gear one day and succumbed to a heart attack in the hospital 2 months later at age 86, that's 64 years.

I, on the other hand have been in the rat race for a paultry 21 years.

Barbershopman

I'm almost 57 and have been working since I'm 14...33 years at my current job.

What's New

5/9/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back