• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

why i lost my job

areenactor

2nd Level Blue Feather
well a little while ago i posted that i was starting a new job, and wouldn't be around as much. as some may have noticed, i have been around more the last 2 weeks.

the reason is, i was "let go". the reason was financial. last year the practice (4 dr. urology office) paid $84k in malpractice ins.
this year it was raised.. conciderably! the bill for this year is$350k! that's $350,000 children. and they were never sued!
they got the notice the say after making the job offer to me in writing. by law, since it was in writing, and signed, it was like a contract, and they had to hire me. i lasted a month. they let me, and 2 office staff go. they are also looking a a possible move to another state where the ins. premiums aren't so usurious.

so, here i sit with no job, again! and please don't say "but theres a nursing shortage", because it's not ture is practice. it is true that the patient/nurse ratio should be lower, but in actual practice, the hospitals don't care. and most dr. offices are now using aids, and lpn's to lower costs.

funny thing too, a couple of the comments that the drs said to me when i was "let go" were that i was "the smartest nurse there"; that "i knew more about other areas of medicine that a couple of the drs, and all the staff"; big fucking deal! doesn't put food on my kids table! greedy fucking lawyers, and suit happy patients, and ins. companies that want to make record proffits every quarter.
:sowrong:

steve

Good luck finding something else. Don't worry, when the shit hits the fan, I want to see the reaction of the American public, and how they will treat these insurance companies...they'll probably just blame Bush!

Many doctors are leaving and doing other things, because the insurance is skyrocketing. One town was about to lose its only doctor once, and everyone in town hosted a fundraiser to help him pay his malpractice insurance. That was a rare event, because most people wouldn't care, and expect the doctor to figure it out - we American's can get REAL apathetic at times. Until the day when we are told that the nearest doctor is so many hundred miles away, then we MAY act.

The same thing is happening with over-prescription of antibiotics. These stupid ass soccer mom types are bullying their doctor into giving them and their snotty kids antibiotics for every little sniffle, instead of taking over the counter medicine, or, hell, chicken soup and orange juice! Well, the cold germs are developing resistance to all these antibiotics, and doctors are finding they are having to use the "antibiotic of last resort," vancomycin, to treat first time cases. When the bacteria get used to that one, what then? I guess after a few hundred thousand people die, well once again "snap out of it", and realize...oh, who the hell am I kidding, we'll just blame the government and blame doctors and blame everyone else except the assholes who demanded their antibiotics! I loved it when the reporter asked one bitch why she demanded antibiotics, even though the result could be very serious for the country - "Well, huh, my kid gets sick, and he needs immediate relief! Huh what do you expect me to do, let him stay sick for a few days!" Yeah, God forbid your little snot nose brat be sick for three days instead of one, we can't be letting the MTV generation suffer inconvenience for two seconds, can we?

Oh, wait, a bateria HAS beaten vancomycin. Hmm, now what?

Bacteria defy last-resort antibiotic
US reports first case of vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
26 July 2002

HELEN PEARSON

US doctors have reported the first case of a new 'superbug' that is completely resistant to the antibiotic vancomycin, one of the last lines of defence against bacteria. Further outbreaks of infection are expected.

The drug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteria were isolated in June from the foot ulcer and catheter of a patient in Michigan, and reported by the US Centers for Disease Control this month. S. aureus often causes severe infections in hospital patients' wounds or after surgery.

The bacteria are the first to be classified as completely resistant to vancomycin, which is used in hospitals against S. aureus impervious to the preceding antibiotic of choice, methicillin.

The infection was successfully contained and the patient treated with new antibiotics. But scientists are concerned that vancomycin-resistant S. aureus (VRSA) will emerge again, and spread. "We fully expect to see more of these organisms," says the CDC's Fred Tenover, who led the bacterial analysis.

Prophecy fulfilled

Researchers have been predicting the emergence of VRSA since 1987, when strains of a relatively harmless gut bacteria called enterococcus were found to have become resistant to vancomycin.

Scientists expected that the enterococcus genes conferring drug resistance would be transferred into S. aureus because wounds are commonly infected with both bacteria.

A handful of S. aureus strains with some vancomycin resistance have been isolated worldwide. These bacteria evade the drug by thickening their coat - not by picking up the enterococcus gene. "People became less concerned," says David Livermore, director of the Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring and Reference Laboratory at the Public Health Laboratory Service in London.

The Michigan VRSA, on the other hand, did acquire its resistance genes from enterococcus. A rare vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis also found in the patient could explain the jump, Tenover suggests, as this strain is good at transferring genes,

Crumbling defence

S. aureus are classified as fully vancomycin resistant once they able to grow in the presence of 32 micrograms per millilitre of the drug - doses much above this are toxic in humans. The Michigan strain was resistant to more than 30 times this dose, says Tenover.

VRSA is not as much of a threat as it was five years ago: doctors now have new antibiotics called linezolid and quinupristin/dalfopristin to tackle it. But S. aureus strains resistant to these drugs have already been identified.

Careful monitoring for infections and rigorous control of outbreaks are the best way to keep such bugs under control, says clinical microbiologist Gary French of Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital in London. Doctors should also be warned of the risks of over-prescribing antibiotics. "It's extremely worrying," he says.

mabus -

you mentioned that the moms demand antibiotics for these colds, and that eventually the cold germs will become resistant.

technically speaking, colds are caused by viruses, and viruses are generally not treated with antibiotics. only bacterial infections.

the problem is that quite often, these moms insist on getting an antibiotic for what is a viral infection, and so, they are completely useless.

i'm not a doctor in real life, but i play one on the Forum.

I stand corrected!

I'm not an actor, or a doctor in real life, but I wish I was, because I'd be rich!

This is very unsettling and is always hard to hear. I'm sorry to hear this. My sympathies. I wish you a speedy recovery from this lay-off and that you will get back on your feet soon. I'll also add a prayer for you, if you don't mind.

This is truely an injustice. :sowrong:

Steve,

I'm real sorry to hear about this. I'll say a prayer for you and yours. I hope you luck improves quickly.

Hang tough man - "tis a long road that has no turning!"

Steve,

Funny that you should post that because you've been in my thoughts a lot lately. I'll be praying for you and your financial situation.

crydun said:
Steve,

Funny that you should post that because you've been in my thoughts a lot lately. I'll be praying for you and your financial situation.

hi crydun. i'm touched, and honored, that you would be having me in your thoughts. i'll also say thanks, and accept your prayers, i need all the help i can get!

steve

lost job

To Steve:

Very sorry to hear about your job, I can certainly feel for you (I've been layed off a few times myself). If you ever consider coming up to Canada, we have a shortage of nurses and your skills would be very much in demand. All the best and take care

Hi Steve;

I thought this was all settled and you were gainfully employed. I think the insurance industry sucks. I also believe that the lawsuits should be capped, especially if the patient is still alive. When it comes to wrongful death, no amount of money can replace the loved one who died at bad advice or procedure of a doctor or hospital.

In Ohio, a kid in cleveland was awarded a 35 million lawsuit because he's retarded and quadroplegic at birth from a hospital blunder. He's only 17 years old. The hospital no longer exists so no one else has to suffer. But doctors in my state are turning to other ventures because the insurance costs are astronomical. It's hard sometimes to determine what is fair when you have people winning lawsuits because they spilled coffee on themselves.

Well, I wish you the best and believe you WILL get another job soon. :)

It seems to me that things have gotten way out of control. Did this start for real when a burglar sued a housewife because he fell through he skylight while trying to break in and cut himself on a knife she left on her worktop?

Steve I'm just so fucking sorry for you man. It's a son of a bitch deal by the sound of it. Keep the faith brother and keep trying. I'm willing it to happen for you.

Sorry for job loss, I kept hearing how nursing was the biggest thing and there were job openings everywhere. I had considered getting into it too, this makes me think twice.

Cav88 said:
Sorry for job loss, I kept hearing how nursing was the biggest thing and there were job openings everywhere. I had considered getting into it too, this makes me think twice.

think 3 times my friend, then run away! i actually regret going into nursing. i siggest you look into p.a. school. that's phycician' assistant. they make 2 to 3 times what a nurse makes, and have more training, and responsibilities, and autonomy.

steve

Listen mate, you've got all the experience to get another job. There are definitely a lot of places that require experienced medical staff such as yourself. You could even apply for an even better job too. Hell, took me 6 frigging years to find one to help pay for my studies. For those 6 years, I had to apply for a few loans, support from my parents, and got nagged and scorned to death because I couldn't find one.

Anyway, you don't need to work for greedy cocaine-sniffing reprobates!

grippedchimp said:
Listen mate, you've got all the experience to get another job. There are definitely a lot of places that require experienced medical staff such as yourself. You could even apply for an even better job too. Hell, took me 6 frigging years to find one to help pay for my studies. For those 6 years, I had to apply for a few loans, support from my parents, and got nagged and scorned to death because I couldn't find one.

Anyway, you don't need to work for greedy cocaine-sniffing reprobates!

rotflmao!:D
thanks i needed that laugh!

steve

Nope.....

mabus said:
I stand corrected!

I'm not an actor, or a doctor in real life, but I wish I was, because I'd be rich!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Not with the insurance rates you wouldn't....

LOL

What's New

5/12/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back