• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Why is there no looting in Japan?

mabus

1st Level Green Feather
Interesting article I saw, didn't even realize it until I saw the headline that, yeah, I haven't heard all the stories of rampant looting...in fact, I haven't heard ANY stories of looting after such a disaster....

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100079703/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/

Why is there no looting in Japan?
BY: Ed West

The landscape of parts of Japan looks like the aftermath of World War Two; no industrialised country since then has suffered such a death toll. The one tiny, tiny consolation is the extent to which it shows how humanity can rally round in times of adversity, with heroic British rescue teams joining colleagues from the US and elsewhere to fly out.

And solidarity seems especially strong in Japan itself. Perhaps even more impressive than Japan’s technological power is its social strength, with supermarkets cutting prices and vending machine owners giving out free drinks as people work together to survive. Most noticeably of all, there has been no looting, and I’m not the only one curious about this.

This is quite unusual among human cultures, and it’s unlikely it would be the case in Britain. During the 2007 floods in the West Country abandoned cars were broken into and free packs of bottled water were stolen. There was looting in Chile after the earthquake last year – so much so that troops were sent in; in New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina saw looting on a shocking scale.

Why do some cultures react to disaster by reverting to everyone for himself, but others – especially the Japanese – display altruism even in adversity?

The culture of the Japanese is the reason for this. It is the way they deal with disaster. They don't complain, and they take care of each other. They accept the disaster for what it is and are doing what they can. The very idea of complaining goes against the fabric of the Japanese culture.

We can learn a lot from these kind people. They are teaching the world of the proper way to deal with disaster. I only hope we can care for them and help bring the Japanese back to some sense of normality.

The culture of the Japanese is the reason for this. It is the way they deal with disaster. They don't complain, and they take care of each other. They accept the disaster for what it is and are doing what they can. The very idea of complaining goes against the fabric of the Japanese culture.

We can learn a lot from these kind people. They are teaching the world of the proper way to deal with disaster. I only hope we can care for them and help bring the Japanese back to some sense of normality.

Ditto to the above, I couldn't of put it any better myself.

My line of work involves me working with the Japanese Community and I can tell you there way of thinking is completley different to any other culture in the world. If there was a spare seat on on a full bus and you and a Japanese were the only two standing the Japanese would be offended if you didn't take his offer for the seat!

Ditto to the above, I couldn't of put it any better myself.

My line of work involves me working with the Japanese Community and I can tell you there way of thinking is completley different to any other culture in the world. If there was a spare seat on on a full bus and you and a Japanese were the only two standing the Japanese would be offended if you didn't take his offer for the seat!

very true!.

I love the fact that, even though some places are allowing unlimitted sales and they've waited for a few hours, people are only grabbing what they really need so that others will have the basics as well. What a beautiful witness of what mankind is capable of!

considering the damage done there, what exactly is there to loot??:shrug:

This was brought up in a similar thread on my home forum. It wasn't just part of a city that was hit, it was a massive area of an entire country. What was there to loot? Where would you bring it?

However, even with this in mind, there should be looting. The fact that there is none is simply a testament to the Japanese culture. It's unfortunate that people think the civilized behavior that characterizes the Japanese is simply a one-culture wonder.

Probably because theres no liberals over there.

Only a conservative would think in those terms :illogical

Seriously though, I'm also amazed by the 50 nuclear technicians/workers who are working to save tens of thousands of people (if not far more) while no doubt slowing killing themselves with radiation poisoning while working to keep the reactor/s in check. :(

Talk about Honorable.

Last edited:
The Japanese are known for their: honor, resilience, intelligence and courage. More importantly, courage... Without that, the first three would be worthless. You don't need political philosophy to know that.

Probably because theres no liberals over there.

Wow, really? This isn't funny or clever. It's rude, inappropriate, and entirely out of line right now.

The strength of the Japanese people and their culture is the reason. They place the good of their people over the good of the one. They are a strong and honorable people, and their humanity in the face of this awful tragedy is an example the rest of the world should learn to follow.

I think, as has already been said, it's because any area hit hard enough to lose law and order was damaged too badly to loot.

All the respect to the people over there. If all people would act the same way they do, this would would be a very nice place to live!

This was brought up in a similar thread on my home forum. It wasn't just part of a city that was hit, it was a massive area of an entire country. What was there to loot? Where would you bring it?

However, even with this in mind, there should be looting. The fact that there is none is simply a testament to the Japanese culture. It's unfortunate that people think the civilized behavior that characterizes the Japanese is simply a one-culture wonder.

I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. I'd like to think that I wouldn't loot/steal/hurt others in the face of a disaster. As long as basic necessities were provided, it just wouldn't occur to me. I'd like to think I'd behave as the Japanese are.

That being said, I've never been in a disaster on that scale. Also, the response to Katrina was reprehensible. With that under consideration, I can't say for certain how I'd react.

I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. I'd like to think that I wouldn't loot/steal/hurt others in the face of a disaster. As long as basic necessities were provided, it just wouldn't occur to me. I'd like to think I'd behave as the Japanese are.

Many people would though. It's quite common for people to feel society owes them something and would certainly take advantage in such a situation. It's quite unfortunate...

I could ABSOLUTELY tell you why there is no looting in Japan but they would kick me out of here... NUFF SAID!... Let's just say impulse control has a lot to do with it.

What's New

5/11/2024
The TMF Art and Story Archives collect some of our communities best creators work in one place!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back