• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Windows 8.1 is crap!

Dussicar

2nd Level Green Feather
I've been attempting to load some of my older PC games after switching from XP to 8.1 and I keep getting no response/troubleshoot/non administration blah blah blah.

None of it works.

I have heard about those who can run these "older" programs without trouble, so what is wrong?

I just want to be able to play my Medieval: total war (the first one, not the sloppy seconds one) and Age of Mythology again.

What am I doing wrong?

Did you just upgrade your software from XP to 8.1 or did you get a new machine with Windows 8 on it?

I upgraded. My computer still has the same old guts in it, though.

The problem isn't really with Windows as much as it is with the age of the software. It's made for 32-bit hardware, i.e. machines as old as yours, whereas Windows 8 is a 64-bit OS. If the games install try running them in compatibility mode for an older OS. If you know that XP worked, try that.

What do you define by old? I had no problem with older games as long as they where fully self-executable applications. The only problem I had is with the DOS games. Windows 8 (and 8.1) doesn't have his own DOS console, so some games i would like to play can´t be opened. You can solve this with a DOS emulator like DOSbox, or search the game in google and maybe it's uploaded online. There are a lot of pages where you can play DOS box in the same web without downloading nothing. And if you do that, personal recomendation: search for "Skyroads". That old game is simply awesome
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:sorry, i ready the post so late, and i can´t delete my post. Note to myself, don't dare to post without reading the full thread again. Yes, that is strange, the games you said aren't DOS games, all what i said is useless. Bad me, I'm sorry, won't open my mouth again

Last edited:
The problem isn't really with Windows as much as it is with the age of the software. It's made for 32-bit hardware, i.e. machines as old as yours, whereas Windows 8 is a 64-bit OS. If the games install try running them in compatibility mode for an older OS. If you know that XP worked, try that.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to a crazy person.:stickout

I attempted to try that at first, but it still doesn't work, though.

What do you define by old? I had no problem with older games as long as they where fully self-executable applications. The only problem I had is with the DOS games. Windows 8 (and 8.1) doesn't have his own DOS console, so some games i would like to play can´t be opened. You can solve this with a DOS emulator like DOSbox, or search the game in google and maybe it's uploaded online. There are a lot of pages where you can play DOS box in the same web without downloading nothing. And if you do that, personal recomendation: search for "Skyroads". That old game is simply awesome
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:sorry, i ready the post so late, and i can´t delete my post. Note to myself, don't dare to post without reading the full thread again. Yes, that is strange, the games you said aren't DOS games, all what i said is useless. Bad me, I'm sorry, won't open my mouth again

That's okay. I'm of a mind that windows slogan is "welcome to 8.1, we ain't compatible with shit!"

What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back