• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Saw it last night on IMAX3D. It was amazing, i hope they use this technology more in future movies.

Ok, so I just watched Avatar. I have to say visually it made my jaw literally drop. Just gorgeous...seriously one of the most beautiful movies I've ever scene. When I walked out of the theater though, this is what was playing in my head... 😀
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-SVpZrnF34&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-SVpZrnF34&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Anyone else seen Fern Gully and notice the MAJOR similarities? I know it's not the only movie it borrowed from, but this was just so blatant I kinda felt like James Cameron shamelessly ripped it off. Again, I thought it looked amazing and I'm not at all saying I didn't enjoy the story but I just wish it had been a bit more original considering the effort put into creating an original world.

Thoughts?

I think I'm the only one on here that didn't like it.

Cammeron stole from a number of "going native" and environment movies to make this overly preachy, 2 hour cartoon.

Spirit trees this....woodland creatures that...native good...technology bad...glowing bushes...yadda yadda yadda...Fern Gully with aliens (with dreadlocks and plugs I might add).

Cool visuals...computer effects are getting better, but still not good enough to base an entire movie around (LUCAS, I'm looking at you!). They still give everything a very animated feel.

I really wish this movie was more in the mold of "Tunnel in the Sky" by Heinlein (a group of students stranded on a harsh and dangerous alien world learn how to survive and build a small civilization), it would have been nice. I was really hoping that it would be.

Lots of explosions, computer generated backgrounds...a tree-hugger's wet dream...

You know, Lord of the Rings has an environmental/anti-technology message that it manages to get across without hitting you in the face with it repeatedly for hours.

Sorry, this gets a claw down.

Thank you Alchemy. I was just going to say that Ferngully w/smurfs describes the movie perfectly. I'm sorry, but I don't care how pretty it is, if the actual plot is so overly preachy and unoriginal I'm uninterested.

Welcome to THIS generation's Phantom Menace

Overly preachy is right, my friend. Not to mention the inane dialog as well.

Man, the more praises and fawning I see over this movie, the more and more I hate it.

I should have seen Sherlock Holmes. That at least might have been, oh I don't know....good.

I actually managed to find a few reviews that were not all "Avatar is the greatest movie ever":

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/avatar/index.html

"It is a very expensive-looking, very flashy entertainment, albeit one that groans under the weight of clumsy storytelling in the second half and features some of the most godawful dialogue this side of "Attack of the Clones." Sensitive viewers will also want to note that two characters engage in tasteful sex under a special tree that bears a close resemblance to a bachelor-pad fiber-optic lamp. Clearly, Cameron has looked everywhere for inspiration -- nature, art, the Spencer's Gifts catalog -- and this tree, in particular, isn't just any old plug-in prop. "There is something really interesting going on in there biologically," says the brainy scientist character played by Sigourney Weaver, and believe you me, she doesn't know the half of it."

"Cameron is less a sage than a canny bonehead. Characters signal their motives and intentions with thundering dialogue, mouthed by the actors in ways that suggest the guy at the top has a tin ear, or at least some pretty strange ideas about punctuation."

"Cameron takes all this "We must be one with nature" business very seriously -- so seriously that he doesn't seem to realize that one of the sacred Na'vi communal rituals, as he's dramatized it, looks an awful lot like a Beverly Hills yoga class."

http://www.villagevoice.com/2009-12-15/film/avatar-s-sticker-shock-and-awe/

"As in a Jack Kirby comic book, the muscular, coming-atcha visuals trump the movie's camp dialogue and corny conception, but only up to a point. Jake's initiation rites notwithstanding, Avatar itself doesn't reawaken until the bang-up final battle—aerial cavalry incinerating holy sites and bombing the bejesus out of the blue-monkey redskin slopes, Jake uniting the Na'vi clans with inspirational martial music. (The requisite Celtic keening is withheld until the end credits, accompanied by a Celine Dion clone singing in Na'vish.)"

"The rampaging Sky People are heavy-handedly associated with the Bush administration. They chortle over the failure of diplomacy, wage what is referred to as "some sort of shock-and-awe campaign" against the Na'vis, and goad each other with Cheney one-liners like, "We will blast a crater in their racial memory so deep they won't come within a thousand clicks of here ever again!" Worse, the viewer is encouraged to cheer when uniformed American soldiers are blown out of the sky and instead root for a bunch of naked, tree-hugging aborigines led by a renegade white man on a humongous orange polka-dot bat."

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/planet-of-the-grosses/Content?oid=1532202

"Jake's adventures among the Na'Vi have a distinct Dances with Wolves/The Emerald Forest/The New World flavor. Evil Americans, having despoiled Earth long ago, are now ready to murder and pillage the "blue monkeys" and their green planet in the same cruel, thoughtless manner — unless Jake has a change of heart and opposes them."

It should also be noted that that Ol' Cams also stole this movie from several books including:

1. Robert F. Young - "To Fell a Tree"
2.Poul Anderson - "Call Me Joe"
3.Ben Bova - "The Winds of Altair"
4.Ursula K. Le Guin - "The Word for World is Forest"

My review is hereby changed to two emphatic claws down for this eye candy-laden piece of glowing cheese.

:eeew:

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! This:
"Cameron takes all this "We must be one with nature" business very seriously -- so seriously that he doesn't seem to realize that one of the sacred Na'vi communal rituals, as he's dramatized it, looks an awful lot like a Beverly Hills yoga class."

Here's a review that is pretty much right on with how I felt.
http://www.joblo.com/2nd-review-avatar

If I'm being even more honest than my last post, and after almost a day to think about it, the story sucks arse. There are going to be two more...let's hope he's got something better. I've also heard that there may be a director's cut and there was well over 4 hours of footage that was unused. Maybe there's a gem in there but regardless Cameron did give us a movie that the general public loves. It's a tried and true story that apparently people aren't sick of. Hard core movie goers that really pay attention to story/characters/plot points etc will most likely hate this movie visuals aside.

My biggest issue with Avatar over all is the beating over the head of political agenda. Even if I agree with some view points to an extent I'd personally like to go see my epic fantasy blockbuster movies without being told to save the rain forest. Just sayin. 😀

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! This:

Here's a review that is pretty much right on with how I felt.
http://www.joblo.com/2nd-review-avatar

If I'm being even more honest than my last post, and after almost a day to think about it, the story sucks arse. There are going to be two more...let's hope he's got something better. I've also heard that there may be a director's cut and there was well over 4 hours of footage that was unused. Maybe there's a gem in there but regardless Cameron did give us a movie that the general public loves. It's a tried and true story that apparently people aren't sick of. Hard core movie goers that really pay attention to story/characters/plot points etc will most likely hate this movie visuals aside.

My biggest issue with Avatar over all is the beating over the head of political agenda. Even if I agree with some view points to an extent I'd personally like to go see my epic fantasy blockbuster movies without being told to save the rain forest. Just sayin. 😀

Word.

Ol' Cammy still doesn't grasp that one of the worst ways you can send a message to people is to beat them over the head with it. Once again, I point to Lord Of The Rings. The message is there, but it's interwoven into the plot and characters in such a way that it's simply another part of the whole...and it's presented in ways that don't insult the audience's intelligence.

I think the fact I went into the theater without thinking about how blown away I should be or how similar the plot was to other stories is why I loved it so much. I really enjoyed this movie, and the way it incorporates 3d so that it isn't just blatantly jumping at you every once in a while was extraordinary. If you go into the theater prepared to pick at the movie's flaws, then why go anyway, right? Either way, I would definitely recommend it for anyone on the fence. Just my two cents.

I saw the movie on Christmas and liked it for a couple reasons.

First, it was good because James Cameron is one creative dude: he wrote the movie, and even though the plotline might be a little weak, the fact that he came up with all the movie's characters, the major concepts in it, flora and fauna of the planet, etc etc is just amazing.

Avatar is like Cameron's masterpiece--it's his dream, completely his own, put to life on the big screen where it looks incredible.

Reason #2 why I enjoyed Avatar was the fact that it accurately portrayed what happened to the Native American tribes of the US. The attempted desecration of the Na'avi's spiritual and physical world mirrored the fate of many Indian nations.

What's cool is, almost every major American Indian tribe and many, many others tell a story of a great hero destined to return, help the natives retake their rightful land and overthrow their oppressors, and everyone lives in perfect peace and harmony with nature afterwards. Might be a farfetched tale, but Cameron definitely captured that part of Indian folklore and prophecy as well. Job well done I say!

Avatar was good... just not THAT good

Avatar will likely be remembered in somewhat of the same way that Titanic was. Technically, it is a masterpiece. It puts forth some of the best CGI and art direction ever seen.

As far as the script goes... it's standard fare. This isn't the sort of movie you watch for plot or acting. It's meant to be seen on the big screen in IMAX with a bucket of popcorn.

It's a thrilling adventure movie much like the Star Wars films or the Lord of the Rings films, but like those movies... it does not offer anything amazing by screenwriting or acting standards.

In short, it's good, but it's not Shawshank Redemption.

Saw it twice. Liked it a lot. But please... no sequel.

Almost as entertaining as the movie itself is the healthy amount of nerd-rage it has generated. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

A $300 million budget and they couldn't find the money to hire a screenwriter.:disgust:

Also, those $300 million special effects seem great now, but in five years they're going to look as cartoonish and silly as Phantom Menace does now. Because they are cartoons.

I'm sure Cameron IS capable of writing a decent screenplay but why would he? Decent screenplays don't sell. He does what he does and makes no apologies for it. Same thing Michael Bay does. I'm certain he's aware that he's no (insert French indie director here who makes films for free and lives off dumpster diving), but he brings to the table what very few are able to: A billion dollars.

He knows the language of the Masses and the Masses go and see Paul Blart Mall Cop. The language of the Masses is simple. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with a simple, uncomplicated plot because we all need shit to just blow up once in a while. However, I'm sure what it took to make this look the way it does is a masterclass in film making in its own right.

Spoilers in the attatchment...but it is certainly worth a read.

😎

Just came back from seeing it. The first time I ever heard my mother use the word 'awesome'. I mean, the story is Fern Gully. Another planet, a little more grown up, but yeah, it's Fern Gully. But that didn't matter with me...it was a good popcorny adventure story, just what it was supposed to be. It's what the guy DID with it to bring it to life! Everything is 3D, and it's not the usual 3D where excuses are made to make things pop out of the screen...it's more like you're in there with it, and detailed to the point where the bugs in the jungle are buzzing around you. It won't be the same for TV when it comes out on DVD...the 3D will be the same old 2-tone glasses that give you a headache...see this one in the theater while you can, with the good 3D that works.

What's New

9/26/2024
The TMF Chatroom is always busy and its free1
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back