• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

casting call 2012

Relent<

1st Level Yellow Feather
well, this subforum is here and yet...it seems quite underused.
Quite a waste.
SO
I'm holding a casting a casting call for all able-fingered roleplayers for a new game in 2012.
We're starting an entirely new story, so don't worry about fitting in. Anyone interested please leave a post.
And if you're the type of person that can only post something like once a week, we'll work with you. A slower moving narrative isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I have every intention of packing as much tickle-content into the new game as humanly possible, but everyone has to contribute! XD No cool guys watching the girls dangling their bare feet while they tune their instruments :p I WILL punish all "lolligaggers" (With a swift tickle to even the macho-est tickler)

I am teh interested. :3

I love roleplaying, so naturally I wouldn't mind signing up.

Critical Kai reporting for duty.

WON-DER-FUL!
I'm piecing together a narrative now, and sending out invitations. You're welcome to do the same.
Also, would you spelling out any specific preferences? I can partner based on that, so two or more players can have a decent story chemistry going and there are fewer awkward pauses.

I believe I can participate in this game, too. I'm not sure if I'll be able to be as diligent as last time with frequent posting, but I promise to do my best. I'm fine with playing with just about any role, although I will state for the record that my proclivities navigate away from the feet, if that makes any difference. I hope this game has at least, if not more, success than the old one.

Maybe I just don't learn from the past, but I'd also be willing to take a shot again. I only worry that once again the RP curse will rear its head and no one will actually want to engage in any tickling with other players. It sounds as though that's what you're going to be looking out for, so... what's the plan this time around?

I think the plot needs a bit more of a guiding hand this time around. Also, perhaps the veterans can learn from experience and create characters that would more aggressively make up for the passivity of RP. If this gets going, I'll duly attempt to do my part.

I've had similar thoughts about the choices of characters. Instead of having characters that are intended to drift unwittingly into things creating characters that go right for the thick of action and deserve the stuff that comes their way would be a lot more useful.

You can consider my interest piqued, for the moment.

Wasn't expecting so much momentum this early, but hell I'm happy to see it.
SO concerning the passivity of the narrative, I think we need a proper GM this time around. Last time it was a sort of "turn the page and pick your own ending" type of game, but we need something a bit tighter for coherency's sake. What's say we make the playing field a bit smaller? Sure, its confining, but its easier to control.

I'm personally wanting to stick with a similar era, so that everyone can take what they will from the period. Cobble together whatever modern device equivalent you dare to within reason, or keep it fairly medieval. But if there are objections the floor is open.

To make it more accessible to the common player, lets take the societal tier from the top to the bottom. Rather than play within the confines of high society scandal, we can have a cast of lower class to middle class characters. No merchants more prosperous than peddlers or shopkeepers; but if you choose a more criminal vocation, then I suppose there's nothing to limit your income.
If we do have any career criminals, though, we'll have to impose some form of limitation for the sake of keeping the present setting fairly small and secular. If anyone's wanting to take the role of an officer, or even a vigilante, feel free. Just remember there are no batmen among us; nor any jokers.

Most importantly, who's GMing? Or should we just form pairs for now and converge the narratives once the characters and basic relationships have been established?

I suppose I'd be willing to take on the role. I think I can be suitably dictatorial and still let everyone wander down their creative paths. That being said, it'd be my first time in such a role, other than the self-policing we did last time. I think SOMEONE should do it, splitting off into pairs might kill early momentum, at least at this stage.

I like the idea of putting ourselves in the lower classes. It makes for less reserved social mores. At the same time, our last game seemed to lack a overarching plot. Do we need one? Where are the characters going?

If we're going with a pseudo-Victorian setting again, I recommend this Glenn NOT be the last. No references to old characters or settings. It'll just bog us down, I think we should start from scratch and do it better. We may need to become a little more fantastic (I'm thinking in an imagined world sense, not magic). I've a few ideas for reinventing the setting, depending on how everyone else thinks. I don't want to just lay a bunch of things down if Relent already has concepts in mind. I don't want to step on anyone.

I would be also willing to throw my own weight behind this project. I have experience both playing and running online posting games, for whatever that is worth.

we'll put it to a vote when the time comes. So far though since Cosmo and Carnivore are the only two candidates, I reccommend them both. There was something a central plot in the last game but the problem was that there was no way to do it without excluding other characters.

I propose then that we run two narratives simultaneously; Like Phineas and Ferb, but with less repetition. A small setting with two plots should leave everyone engaged in someway that effects the central plot. You two will have to keep in contact for the sake of running the two plots into one another as often as possible, so that everyone is afforded the opportunity of selecting their role in the narrative. That is, if we do run with the two GMs idea. As far as a concrete story, overarching plot, and general composition of the rp....well, I haven't really thought about it.

i propose a circus setting. Its small, secluded, and virtually limitless. Players can be either patrons or performers, and given the anachronistic nature of the pseudo-victorian era, there are very few limitations in way of what each character can bring to the table. There can be a sideshow full of steam-driven robots for all I care; just don't go overboard.

Hmmm, well i could certainly co-GM, but i'll deffinitly have to get familiar with the setting and speak with Carnivore and see how he feels. As for the plot, setting and such, yeah, that will deffinitly have to be discussed, though limiting the game to a small area and amount of charactors doesn't sound like a bad idea. I might also wish to talk with you as well Relent, as psuedo-Victorian isn't something i'm overly familiar with.

This is all the information concerning the specifics of the period and the modifications we've made for the sake of narrative
http://tickletheater.com/showthread.php?t=64452
Its not terribly specific, which is intentional. If this isn't enough information, then I guess I'll do my best to answer questions via pm.

I'm fine with whatever, although a sense of hierarchy may be desirable, so we don't contradict each other or infringe on the other's territory. To the extent the universe is similar to the last, I think a few changes may be needed:

-When creating characters, each one must be able to tickle and be tickled by all others.

-Clothing. Victorian layers are not conducive to tickling. My thought was we could take inspiration from Arabic harem settings: conservative outdoors, provocative indoors.

-Along those lines, I had an idea that AG could be in a setting with a blending of cultures, like the Moors, adding an exotic flair to the folk. It explains the clothing, adds potentially fun cultural miscues, and foreigners fit into the lower classes pretty easily. AG could easily be a newly bustling port town. The seclusion of the old one may be a bit burdensome.

Just thoughts, but in the spirit of things, I should be more aggressive with them than not.

Just to clarify, is everybody saying that this is the setting they want to use, or is it a subject up for discussion?

A bit of both, Cosmo. Relent is the creator of that world, and the impetus for both games. As such, his creative ideas are given a degree of deference. At least by me. At the same time, I think everything but the very basics (Victorian, semi-British 1800s) should at least be up for discussion. If we can improve the setting at the beginning we should do so, it will be difficult to change basic aspects in-game. If we have good suggestions that will encourage more action as well as make us feel more interested in our characters and contributing, we should do so. That's my opinion, anyway.

Relent has suggested characters from the working classes, at least some of which having a strange, tickle-focused pagan religion. The English and other non-celts in the story are by no means devoid of such interests, however. I think it might be prudent for us to mention anything about the setting we want, as well as some broad character ideas, so we can plot out where the first few threads are going, and who's meeting up with whom.

Actually, that's another reason I picked the circus setting. The constituents can be from virtually any walk of life this way. The harem scenario isn't a bad idea though; conservative outerwear, skimpy, vaguely erotic inner-wear. We can mix this shit up as well as we like.

Should we make a list of races then? I mean, we can "PC" the terms for elf, dwarf etc and make up some sort of tickle-related backstory for each identities social and political origin. With a place like Aygomenia somewhere at this area's roots, it would certainly fit. And maybe each race has a sort of specialty; something to mix up the orthodoxy of each scenario. Say we make elves, or whatever we decide to call them, and give them an ability which enables them to whisper into someone's ear and speak to their subconscious? Or we can make dwarves the more technologically authoritative breed (too much skyrim? Perhaps...)

And by all means, if any of you would prefer to do this in a more orthodox way where everyone in the game is in a more modern setting, by all means speak up. I have no particular attachments to the present setting, I only want to facilitate a game where all players are comfortable.

I suppose. But I'm still a little vague on the circus setting. Would we all be participants in the circus? Members of a traveling caravan? What is the reason for the players wanting to tickle the others constantly? And be tickled? What's my motivation? *dramatic pose* It could work, though. I'm agnostic on Tolkein-ian races, but you subconscious power idea is pretty awesome, though. I like it. I could do without the dwarves, though. Who wants to be a dwarf? Maybe something pleasantly exotic: dark skinned and from afar. Strange ways, sultry customs.

I think, Relent, it's time for another page of world making from you. Care to paint a picture of your phantamagoric circus? Maybe with the harem inner/outer wear, elvish and … I'm not sure what else… dryads? Green skinned plant folk? Or we could stay within humanity, and go with Moorish arabs and Indians. I'm easy, although your ideas pique my interest. Anyone else is more than welcome to chip in.

All of the above. Lol
Audience, caravan, crewmen, performer, endorsement executive, whatever wherever whoever.
As to the races, I can arrange that. I'll be a while with the details, but i've got a few ideas brewing as is.

(sorry for being so vague as usual, I'm between classes atm so this time i at least have an excuse :p)

Hmm. Then I leave the setting in your capable hands. But I think we should confine our setting to the lower classes: performers, laborers, hangers-on, etc. Not the wealthy circus goers or ringleaders. Leave that to the game mastering. Other than that, and barring helpful suggestions of others... carry on.

Circus in America TimeLine
1872-1905

1872-1905 marks what many call the “Golden Age” of the American circus. It also is a period of consolidation of smaller circus companies into large, powerful companies that came to control the entire industry.

In 1872 Barnum, Coup and Castello utilized the railroad to transport the P.T. Barnum’s Museum, Menagerie and Circus. A number of innovations can be attributed to the 1872 Barnum show. Coup “was instrumental in getting the show to travel by rail, devising loading and unloading methods and arranging special excursions from the outlying towns to the show site. [He] introduced a second ring, developed ingenious advertising and promotional stunts such as the Devil’s Whistle, mass litho posting and small town excursions by bands, clowns, etc., to create interest in the show which was in the area.” Slout, William, Olympians of the Sawdust Circle A Biographical Dictionary of the Nineteenth Century American Circus. p.151.

1873 was a banner year for the development of the circus with an increase in attendance, touring, and tent size with the addition of the second ring to increase performance space. The second "innovation" of the circus in 1873 was addition of the flying squadron. The flying squadron consisted of a group of men that would arrive in town a day ahead of the circus to drive the tent stakes. This meant that the circus would save considerable time in putting up tents and preparing for performances. The circus was now able to follow the great expansion of American wherever railroad tracks were laid. No longer was the circus relegated to follow only the dirt roads of an expanding country. The circus had become by far the most popular form of entertainment in America, and Barnum , Coup’s and Castello’s enterprise was America’s leading circus, “The Greatest Show on Earth.”

During the 1870s circuses grew larger and larger. They were now able to transport massive amounts of equipment, hundred of animals and people, and larger tents with more seats. In 1881 the larger tents permitted Barnum and Bailey to expand the number of performing areas from one ring to three rings to accommodate the ever-increasing number of acts and animals. By the end of the century, a circus was not considered worthwhile unless it had three rings under the big top—more rings meant a better show.

The merging of James A. Bailey and P.T. Barnum was a typical Barnum adventure. Bailey was affiliated with the Great London show of Cooper, Bailey and Hutchinson. On March 10, 1880, Cooper and Bailey were delighted when their large Indian elephant Hebe gave birth, in Philadelphia, to “Little Columbia.” This was the first elephant ever born in America. Envious of the publicity and eager to own the baby himself, Barnum reputedly offered $100,000 for her, but Cooper and Bailey wired back “Will not sell at any price” and promptly incorporated Barnum’s offer into their own publicity. Barnum’s reaction was, “I had at last met showmen ‘worthy of my steel’!” The merger of the Barnum’s “Greatest Show on Earth” with Bailey’s Great London show during the 1881 season gave Barnum access to some of the great publicity that Bailey had amassed with his show. The show’s title for the 1881 season was “P.T. Barnum’s Greatest Show on Earth, Sanger’s Royal British Menagerie, The Great London Circus & Grand international Allied Shows.” The show in 1866 grew to enormous size when for a single week in Philadelphia when performing jointly with the Adam Forepaugh Circus, they used four rings, two platforms and the hippodrome track. (Saxon, A.H. P.T. Barnum The Legend and the Man, 1989, Columbia University Press. P. 287)

Barnum now wanted an attraction that would maintain a bigger and better image. Barnum was informed that he could acquire from the London zoo, the largest African pachyderm in captivity. On Easter Sunday in 1882, thousands gather at dock site for the arrival of Barnum’s latest sensation, “Jumbo.” The New York Times declared that there was more excitement in the city “than there would be in London if Queen Victoria’s imperial knee was swelled to twice its royal size.”

After three years of traveling with “The Greatest Show on Earth,” Barnum lost his super star on Tuesday, September 15, 1885 in St. Thomas, Ontario. Jumbo, while walking back to the circus train on the main line of the Grand Trunk railway, was hit and killed by a freight train. The ever-practical Barnum, having previously arranged for Professor Henry A. Ward, head of Ward’s natural Science Establishment in Rochester, New York, to mount Jumbo’s hide and his skeleton, promptly exhibited the remains of his star.

Barnum suffered a stroke in 1890 and passed away in April 1891 at the age of 80. After Barnum’s death, James A. Bailey took control of the Barnum & Bailey Circus. He had acquired part interest in of his principal rivals, the Adam Forepaugh Circus, in 1890. Adam Forepaugh had first entered the circus business after receiving a share in the Tom King Excelsior Circus as payment on a debt, and began to tour a show bearing his own name in 1866. As a businessman he recognized the need for innovation in a competitive industry. He was the first to hold his performances under two separate “roundtops,” one for the menagerie and one for the circus performance. He was also the first to incorporate the Wild West Show into the circus. In less than twenty years Forepaugh went from dealing livestock to being the fiercest competitor to P.T. Barnum. While he achieved fame and fortune, he was notoriously corrupt and greedy and was known for grifting and short-changing spectators. Forepaugh did much to advance the circus but his irreverence for his customers’ money and belongings helped accusations of the circus fold as immoral. Before leaving for Europe with the Barnum & Bailey circus, Bailey combined the Forepaugh show with the Sells Brothers Circus under the name of Adam Forepaugh & Sells Brothers Great Consolidated Shows.

Another circus that would forever change the landscape formed in 1884 in Baraboo, Wisconsin. The five brothers of the Ringling family ¾ Albert Charles, Charles August (Gus), William Henry Otto, Alfred Theodore (Alf T.), Charles Edward (Charley), Henry William George (Henry) ¾ started as a small wagon circus. The eldest brother, Al Ringling, had begun performing in 1879 as a juggler and acrobat, when he was not working as a carriage trimmer. The brothers banded together in 1882, blending their talents in music, theatre, and acrobatics. By 1890, their show had grown so large and prosperous that they were able to convert to railroad transportation.

Unlike Forepaugh, their drive for success never seemed to edge into greed. The Ringling Brothers knew the importance of fairness and were equal partners. Recognizing the corruption of competing circuses, the brothers created a safe and morally sound environment. At Ringling shows there was no profanity, no crooked gaming devices and no short-changing. Their business approach and their commitment to fairness made Ringling a lasting household name for over one hundred years. When Bailey returned from Europe with the Barnum & Bailey circus in 1902, the Ringling Bros. Circus was a powerful rival.

1884 saw the beginning of yet another circus, with the very impressive title “Wallace and Company’s Great World Menagerie, Grand international Mardi Gras, Highway Holiday Hidalgo, and Alliance of Novelties” (it was renamed the Great Wallace Shows after the first season). It went on the road in April 1884. Ben Wallace, a former livery stable owner from Peru, Indiana, formed this circus with his partner James P. Anderson. Al G. Field, a talented African-American Virginian who was one of the country’s top minstrels when he wasn’t traveling with the circus, was Wallace’s head clown and equestrian director from 1884-1886. During this period it was very rare for an African-American to hold two important positions in the circus. For over a hundred years, the circus industry, which on one level seems so accepting of every variety of human being, was in reality no exception to the rule of discrimination. Black circus performers after the mid-19th century were traditionally limited to minstrelsy, freaks, colored sideshow bands, and tribal warriors. For the most part, the menial jobs of the circus labor force were usually given to the black population of the show.

The Wallace circus was successful, but it ran into problems. The show became so well known for encouraging scam artists and pickpocket artists that it operated under the name “Cook and Whitby’s European Circus, Museum and Menagerie” for the 1892-1894 seasons. Even so, the show often had to circumvent towns for fear of reprisal for crimes committed the year before. In March of 1898, Diamond, then the largest elephant in the country died at his winter quarters in Peru, Indiana. And, with the show traveling on rail, train wrecks were a constant worry. There were wrecks in 1892, 1903, and 1908. The 1903 accident, in Durand, Michigan, killed more than twenty people and several animals (including an elephant) when the train’s air brakes apparently failed. The Wallace show was not the only circus in America to suffered railroad mishaps. An article in Bandwagon, September/October, 1975, Fred D. Pfening, Jr. lists nineteen accidents between 1877 and 1906. In 1907, when Ben Wallace bought the great German wild animal trainer Karl Hägenbeck’s show, it became the Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus. The events listed below begins with putting a large circus on rails and following the development of Barnum & Bailey and the Ringling Bros.

http://www.circusinamerica.org/public/timelines?date1=1872&date2=1905

some info I found on the 19th century American circus scene. I'll slap together a composite sketch of the Aygomenian circus this evening and put it on the first post of the reference section

the reference sheets are up an ready; just waiting on player sheets

Not to sound like a bitch, but the 1800s America setting might be harder for roleplaying because it's pretty much only familiar to Americans, and unlike medieval fantasy there are very few mainstream sources (movies, TV shows, etc) set in that era where non-Americans can get inspiration from. It's okay if you are only appealing to the same group who participated in Aygomen Glenn, but I imagine that getting more players to join in won't be easy.

On top of that... and I apologise if it seems like I'm insulting you, because I'm not... the story about the circus, although with amazing quality and detail, doesn't really grab the attention of someone who comes here for a fetish. Then again, if you manage to find players who get into it, that's great. I can't speak for everyone on this site, I'm just letting you know what I think.

What's New

6/1/2024
Need to report a post? The report butt0n is to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back