• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

How To Survive A Massacre

Strelnikov

4th Level Red Feather
I have a personal connection to the Virginia massacre. Jamie Bishop, the German teacher who was murdered, was the son of an acquaintance. From what I’ve been able to learn, Jamie never had a chance. Cho just walked into his classroom and shot him without warning.

But some of the others didn’t have to die. People get killed in mass shootings because they freeze. Duck-and-cover is not an effective strategy – it's hard for the shooter to miss when he has you by the hair. If you keep your wits about you and respond proactively, you can improve your survival odds substantially.

I’ve been collecting and shooting handguns for more than 30 yrs. I’ve been trained to use a handgun for self defense, though fortunately I’ve never had to do so. I’ve done armed security work, I have law enforcement connections, and I've studied real world gunfights, both present day and historic. Here’s what that experience has taught me.

First, most people who buy handguns are not “serious” shooters. They don’t join gun clubs, compete in matches, train, etc. Instead, if they practice at all, they go to a public range and rent a shooting lane for an hour or so. Their usual choice of guns is an auto pistol, in 9mm caliber like Cho used, or the closely related .380 caliber. Both of those are less lethal than many other calibers. Their two advantages are that they don’t kick much, and they’re available in guns that hold lots of bullets, which many people think compensates for lack of skill and practice.

I've watched lots of these people shoot at public ranges. Most of them put up a life-size human-silhouette target at close range – average 5 yards, hardly ever over 10 yards. Then they empty the magazine at it. Out of 15 shots, they might get 2 or 3 potentially lethal hits and 7 or 8 that would cause wounds of varying severity, from “pretty bad” to “just a scratch.” The rest of their shots will miss the target area, maybe miss the paper completely. This is under perfect stress-free conditions, with a close, well lighted target that isn't moving.

Second, everything changes in a real world shooting situation. Forget everything you’ve seen on TV or in movies – in the usual sort of gunfight, two guys unload on each other at close range, 10 yards or less. They shoot up the dumpster and a bunch of parked cars, but it seldom results in a fatal shooting. Often, the result is only minor wounds, then both of them run away when they hear the police sirens. Sometimes they miss each other completely, because stress is NOT an aid to accuracy.

Bottom line: if somebody like Cho is shooting at you, chances are that he’s a poor shot using a relatively weak caliber. Unless you freeze, any single shot he fires at you may miss, and if it hits you, it’s more likely to wound than kill.

Now let’s put it all together.

If you run away from a gunman, your odds of surviving are pretty good. That’s your best strategy if you’re 10 yards or more away from him AND you have an escape route. In a wide open space, it’s best to turn to your right (toward a right handed shooter's weak hand) and run diagonally away. That will force him to turn his body to line you up, and buy you a fraction of a second and a few more feet of distance. A moving target is much more difficult to hit, and every additional foot improves your chance that he will miss – most people don't practice shooting, so they can't hit anything that's more than 10 yards away anyway. KEEP RUNNING. Don’t look back – if he’s running after you, you can’t do anything about it anyway. If he’s running and shooting, that’s actually good. Moving target plus moving shooter usually equals a clean miss.

If the shooter is less than 10 yards away, or if you’re cornered, or responsible for another person, you can still survive. Deny him the initiative. Yell and scream, throw things, pull the fire alarm, KEEP MOVING. If you’re close enough, charge him. You have nothing to lose, and the aggressive move may rattle him enough to make him miss his first shot. At under 10 yards, he won't have time to get off a second shot before you're on him. Grab his gun arm, try to sink your teeth into it, try to bite off a chunk of meat, DON’T TURN LOOSE. Your jaws are stronger than you think, and he can't shoot you that way.

With a little luck, somebody else will help you once you’ve immobilized the gun. A few years ago, an attempted robbery of a bar in my city was foiled when a patron jumped the guy. The other patrons mobbed the gunman and killed him. No charges were filed – deadly force is always justified in self defense or to protect innocent life.

Even small, weak people can kill a strong man if there are enough of them. And make no mistake, that’s exactly what you need to do. Do your best to put the guy on the ground. Then STOMP HIM TO DEATH. Jump on him with both feet, kick his adam's apple or temple, and DON’T STOP until he stops moving. Then kick and stomp him some more to make sure.

Above all, NEVER GIVE UP. You may not survive, but at least you’ll have a chance. Give up, and you’ll have no chance at all.

Strelnikov

hey strel, glad to see you are still around

boy you summed it up rather well. exactly the same stuff i've been saying to my kids for the last few days.
for the record we have been going shooting a couple times a month since mid january. i let the kids shoot at 25 to 50 feet. i shoot at 75 feet. my former military pride won't let me cheat and shoot closer than that.
thanks for posting, the youngsters need this kind of help.

My first thought on hearing the story was that the students trapped in a classroom with Cho should have picked up chairs and thrown them at him. Two of three of them from different directions, preferably.

Great thread.
This is something I had thought and mentioned I think in passing earlier in another thread. Handguns are hard to use on a moving target, and not as accurate as people think. If enough people at once rush the attacker, the odds of him killing more are less because someone can over power the gunner.

As a former soldier I know much of Strel says is very true. Not to mention throwing things is a very good way to distract a shooter. And if something is just right, can be used to alter the path of bullets.

I hope a lot of people read something like this.
Im not advocating everyone should do this, but when you have 2 choices which are being shot without fighting back..or being shot fighting back... Id fight back everytime.

Rob

milagros317 said:
My first thought on hearing the story was that the students trapped in a classroom with Cho should have picked up chairs and thrown them at him. Two of three of them from different directions, preferably.
Easy to say, but to do this at gunpoint is an entirely different matter. The first one to move is the first one to attract the shooter's attention, and I don't think that I could muster the courage to take a bet that he'll miss me.

A gun pointed even roughly in your direction can be mighty intimidating, and fear can paralyze your brain and body. Only very few untrained people can overcome their immediate survival instinct and perform some action. That's what military drill is all about: Overcome your fear and act.

Strel's advice makes sense, of course, but it takes more than an average student to follow it.

I first got the nickname Tank

by charging a guy trying to rob the bar where I was bouncer with a .25 caliber Saturday night special. That is probably the weakest handgun made.
He hit me once in the chest and once in the gut; both rounds got hung up in the laters of muscle and fat and failed to reach anything vital.
I closed with the asshole, took his gun away and knocked him cold with it.
I was back out of the ER in two hours, with simple bandaids over the bullet holes; the flat bottoms of the bullets were still sticking out of me when I got seen by the doc, and the bleeding was minimal. That's where the nickname Tank came from.

Strel and Rob are right on; what they said is for sure the way to go.

Good advice on how to deal with a shooter, but yeah in the real world the stress would be high.

On the mean streets of L.A., one might almost expect that they could be dealing with a gunman, but in a college class, no one EVER would be thinking about it or be prepared.

The bad thing about most disasters is they strike when one least expects.

Thanks for the share, I found this really interesting!
XOXO

Hal is right about the difficulty most untrained people would have to attack a gunman. Almost always, the best plan is to run away. Attacking a gunman is a desperation measure, something you should do only if you've got no other option.

It has nothing to do with personal courage or quick thinking. Courage wasn’t lacking at Virginia Tech – apparently the engineering professors were killed while trying to protect their students, and their sacrifice allowed some students to escape out windows. There was quick thinking too – one student saved himself and others by barricading his classroom door. Fortunately, he had sense enough not to stand in front of it, because Cho fired two shots through it. What was lacking was what I’ll call, for want of a better term, the Predator Mindset.

We live peaceful lives for the most part – the Virginia massacre is big news because such things are so uncommon. We’re taught from childhood that it’s not good to hurt other people. Most of the time that’s a good thing, but it’s a handicap in the face of a mortal threat. Courage and quick thinking alone aren’t enough to save you. When someone is trying to kill you, the only sure way to prevent it is to kill him first.

And to be an effective killer, you have to be mentally prepared. I started this thread to get people thinking about the unthinkable, and about what they should do if it happens. Remember that our species are the most dangerous predators on this planet – lions run away from pygmies who are armed only with spears. We’re wolves, not sheep. I hope no one who reads my post ever has to follow my advice. But if they do, I hope they rip the murdering bastard’s head off and shit down the hole.

Strelnikov

Last edited:
I think too this is all easier said then done if your not trained to deal with this kind of situation.And as you pointed out yourself most people are not. Im not so sure either about stomping someone to death either if the person with the gun was jumped by a crowd. Why not simply disable him and hold him down until the police get there.

Why not simply disable him and hold him down until the police get there.

It's not easy to disable someone "just a little." From the standpoint of the potential victims, the danger isn't going too far - as I said, deadly force is legally justified in self defense. The danger is in stopping too soon and leaving the guy still able to kill you. Read the advice Starfires refers to in his post above. When you see brain matter on the floor and blood running out of his ears - that's when you should stop.

Strelnikov

wasn't that teacher who was killed, didn't he turn out to be a hero, barricading the door? or am i thinking of another teacher? that's interesting advice, wonder though in times of panic if one would remember that..i haven't a clue as to how i would react given the same circumstances..

Robace252 said:
Great thread.
This is something I had thought and mentioned I think in passing earlier in another thread. Handguns are hard to use on a moving target, and not as accurate as people think. If enough people at once rush the attacker, the odds of him killing more are less because someone can over power the gunner.

As a former soldier I know much of Strel says is very true. Not to mention throwing things is a very good way to distract a shooter. And if something is just right, can be used to alter the path of bullets.

I hope a lot of people read something like this.
Im not advocating everyone should do this, but when you have 2 choices which are being shot without fighting back..or being shot fighting back... Id fight back everytime.

Rob

Interesting thread and interesting response Rob, my kids and I are currently enrolled in Tae Kwon Do, but everyweek on Monday they stop the forms for self defense and the last several months the master has been using rubber guns to teach us how to defend and disarm the gunman, he teaches this to all but the younger classes (anywhere from middle school up!). Die point blank or die fighting, I would rather die fighting, but you never know, you could end up disarming the guy and once you start fighting back you hope the others will gain the strength and the presence of mind to join you. How this guy got to so many people without someone fighting back boggles my mind, I guess it was just people frozen by the moment. I pray if myself or my children ever encounter this our self defense training will win out!

Judy

What's New

9/26/2024
The TMF Chatroom is always busy and its free1
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back