• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Paranormal thread, go!

Midnight Circus

TMF Expert
Taking the suggestion from Sammi-chan and tickle_fan (the rhyme was unintentional), I've decided to erect this thread. Since I'm quite interested in stories people may have concerning their experiences with such things, I suppose that that's as good a place to start as any. Maybe. Whatever, really.

Oh, the stories I could tell. One time we were investigating this haunted trainyard and our PKE readings were jumping off the charts.

Okay. I had to throw in some Ghostbusters there. Anyone who knows me saw it coming a mile away.

Though, I think it's appropriate to share at least one experience.

There was a time a few years back, when I still practiced Wicca fairly often, that I was really really lonely. I had just moved back to town after a really terrible relationship failure, and I was pretty alone. Even one of the two roommates I had flaked out and skipped town. So one night I cleared out some space in my room and started casting. I cleared my mind and found the spell I was looking for. I wasn't asking for much. Just looking for a friend. Someone to talk to and get to know. I wrote down my list of the qualities I was looking for in someone. Rolled up the list and sealed it away in a pouch.

It was that Friday or Saturday I believe that me and Jim decided to check out the local anime store that had opened while I was gone. The girl working that night was named Jessica, and we seemed to hit it off really well. Even after she'd locked up the store, we ended up sitting around outside talking for a couple of hours. We hung out a few times after that, got to know each other better, and became really fast friends.

It didn't take long before I knew something had worked. And after a week, I opened the pouch and read my list. She met every quality on the list except for one out of the dozen or so I wrote down (Yes, if anyone asks, she was ticklish, and that was on the list. 😛). We're still friends today, even though she off and joined the army to be a nurse. I made a lot of friends through her, and even got to work at the anime store for a long while.

I know some people don't believe in magick and stuff. I had for a while at that point, and it didn't fail me when I needed it. I'm sharing this in a paranormal discussion, but thinking back... it didn't seem so strange at the time.

wow that sounds awesome Sammi....I could do with summat like that I think.lol.

I've never had any paranormal experiences,but I do believe in ghosts and stuff and love watching Most Haunted....but prefered it with Derek Acorah (sp??)

I believe we've all had a paranormal experience in our lives, perhaps even several or many, but some of them are so subtle and happen on different levels of consciousness, that we don't recall or recollect them completely or at all.

I'll believe it when I see it, I guess. Nothing's happened to me yet.

For those who believe in the paranormal and life after death etc would you want to continue having your presence felt as a nice ghostly spirit or a poltergeist?

I don't know. From what I've seen of most poltergeist, it's not entirely possible to know what their intentions are. And I think a continued existance like that would be incredibly frustrating. If I were still around, I'd want to be able to reassure those who felt my presence that everything's okay.

yeah I'd be the same.plus being a normal kinda ghost-they can be friendly and playful too which could work to our advantage😉

For those who believe in the paranormal and life after death etc would you want to continue having your presence felt as a nice ghostly spirit or a poltergeist?

It doesn't work that way, so its not an option, exactly. There are no such things as ghosts, only spirits, and human spirits (souls) are never indefinitely earth-bound, contrary to popular belief. The reason we think they are is because they can (with permission) visit people and can manipulate objects. They are astrally projecting themselves from the otherside (Ie- heaven, paradise, nirvana, etc), but they themselves are not here.

Many of what people believe are ghosts are actually demons or lower-level spirits, which are earth-bound, as they were either created here or let loose here. In the case of the human soul, Earth is not our origin, so its why we return to the otherside as opposed to remaining. Its important to note these (the spirits) are not human souls, so it goes a long way in explaining why they can remain and others cannot. They, unlike the humans, are anchored to a specific reality, whereas the human soul transcends different realities.

Just for the fun of it, however (and to answer your question), no, I would not want to remain behind. Theres no point to it other than to reassure loved ones that I still exist. Thing is, I can do that from the otherside, so its not necessary for me to actually remain here. Same thing goes for it I wanted to try and scare someone or play a joke. 🙂

Last edited:

Assuming that ghosts are indeed human spirits bound to this earth (I, like Vlad, don't necessarily believe that to be true, though I tend to think that a great deal of the "ghosts" people see happen to be residual energy of some sort), I would have to say "no." I'm not really a big fan of this planet in the first place, nor am I in love with its people...I can't really imagine the anguish of being pretty much locked up here for as long as the world shall last. I don't see much point in it, either.

I'll believe it when I see it, I guess. Nothing's happened to me yet.

I'm in the same boat...nothing's ever happened to me, either (of which I am aware, of course). It still makes for an interesting hobby, though. Some people are more Scully than Mulder, some more Mulder than Scully...I guess I'm just more Carl Kolchak than either of those two. *shrugs* Although I do always seem to be respresented by the Devil card in Tarot readings...

Last edited:
Assuming that ghosts are indeed human spirits bound to this earth (I, like Vlad, don't necessarily believe that to be true, though I tend to think that a great deal of the "ghosts" people see happen to be residual energy of some sort)

Actually, this is true. Or, in other words, we all leave imprints of emotions, feelings, and things like that so that it feels like you're encountering something, but its really just an imprint of something that was spiritually there before but is not there any longer.

For example, the feeling of dread, fear and death in a specific location in a house, or a chill in that part of the room that never goes away could mean someone was murdered or raped there. The emotions do not leave that place, and they echo throughout time.

If theres too much of this energy remaining, it is a risk to the living occupants of the house.

Last edited:
Actually, this is true. Or, in other words, we all leave imprints of emotions, feelings, and things like that so that it feel like you're encountering something, but its really just an imprint of something that was spiritually there before but is not there any longer.

For example, the feeling of dread, fear and death in a specific location in a house, or a chill in that part of the room that never goes away could mean someone was murdered or raped there. The emotions do not leave that place, and they echo throughout time.

If theres too much of this energy remaining, it is a risk to the living occupants of the house.

Bingo. 😀 The very idea of reality being much like a phonograph record enthralls me to no end. I wish more people would write on such empathic imprints with the same untiring thirst for research as the late Montague Summers.

Bingo. 😀 The very idea of reality being much like a phonograph record enthralls me to no end. I wish more people would write on such empathic imprints with the same untiring thirst for research as the late Montague Summers.

Yeah. Likewise, on the positive side, this also explains, in part, why people feel such serenity and peace in churches, temples and places of worship. People are collectively filling the place with positive energy and people who come later can tap into that when they're in deep thought, prayer, or even distress.

Likewise, in cases of catholic churches (for example) great deeds may be accomplished there because the saint that founded the church (or the church is in honor of) still has their benevolent deeds around the place (or in cases of the church being dedicated, the deeds of that person are tapped into). Its not really good luck, more than it is, again, that goodness flowing outward and intensifying similar actions and making them successes, such as charitible events and fund-raising.

Yet another example is the feeling of protection and safety in a church for no reason other than its a church. This may very well be because holy beings, such as angels, visit the place also and may even be present during the prayers, meditations, and the service itself, perhaps even participating in them.

Last edited:
I have a lot of experience using Taoist magical systems and am also a skilled Tarot reader, although I have not been very active in recent years. I am interested in scientific investigation of the paranormal and believe that many unusual phenomena will eventually be found to have natural causes.

I remember doing a thread sort of like this....but i think that was complaining about shows about paranormal....

but what do i know...

I remember doing a thread sort of like this....but i think that was complaining about shows about paranormal....

but what do i know...

I remember that. If I did say something I think it might have been about the show Sightings that aired in the early 90s.

I believe in the existence of the paralegal. I've just seen too much not to.

Lets see...something else..

Anyone interested in the Bermuda Triangle or the lost City of Atlantis? Atlantis doesn't exactly fall into the paranormal, but the myths, legends, and little-known history surrounding it does.

Yet another example is the feeling of protection and safety in a church for no reason other than its a church. This may very well be because holy beings, such as angels, visit the place also and may even be present during the prayers, meditations, and the service itself, perhaps even participating in them.

While this may most certainly be true, I think a great deal also has to do with human psychology and the repetition of the idea (in horror fiction and elsewhere) that "holy ground" is a place of protection, a sanctuary of sorts. Another possibility involves the familiarity of a given place. To elaborate: if I were locked in any given cemetery on any given night, I would be a bit jumpy the whole time (whether or not the place happens to be Catholic, Jewish, or Hindu). However, the cemetery where my brothers are buried has never made me uneasy in the least, day or night, most likely because I've visited the place regularly for as long as I can remember. As such, I would almost argue that the feeling of protection comes predominantly from familiarity and secondarily from divine intervention. Of course, this assumes that both are mutually exclusive, which may not be the case at all.

Lets see...something else..

Anyone interested in the Bermuda Triangle or the lost City of Atlantis? Atlantis doesn't exactly fall into the paranormal, but the myths, legends, and little-known history surrounding it does.

I buy into the theory that Plato's Atlantis was based heavily upon historical innaccuracies surrounding the fall of the Minoan civilization. Though they didn't have death-rays or anything like that, they certainly had indoor plumbing...quite an advancement for an ancient civilization.

As for the Bermuda Triangle...I can never think about that place without thinking of the Mary Celeste.

For those who are unfamiliar, the Mary Celeste was a ship that was found abandoned off the coast of Portugal in 1872. Apparently everything on the ship was intact, save for a few missing papers (the logbook was still there), a launched lifeboat, and some bloodstains and unidentifiable scratch marks on the railings. No one is sure why the ship was abandoned, but theories abound from pirates and mutiny to the Bermuda Triangle and aliens.

Last edited:
While this may most certainly be true, I think a great deal also has to do with human psychology and the repetition of the idea (in horror fiction and elsewhere) that "holy ground" is a place of protection, a sanctuary of sorts. Another possibility involves the familiarity of a given place. To elaborate: if I were locked in any given cemetery on any given night, I would be a bit jumpy the whole time (whether or not the place happens to be Catholic, Jewish, or Hindu). However, the cemetery where my brothers are buried has never made me uneasy in the least, day or night, most likely because I've visited the place regularly for as long as I can remember. As such, I would almost argue that the feeling of protection comes predominantly from familiarity and secondarily from divine intervention. Of course, this assumes that both are mutually exclusive, which may not be the case at all.

If you were to approach the idea from a scientic viewpoint then that would most certainly be a part of the case. I'm, of course, not saying that being in a place you would otherwise feel safe (a police station with cops who found you lost and are calling your parents and reassuring you its ok, for example) because you've been taught that these are good places, or its engrained in your psyche that these are good, safe places, that it means anything other than that.

On the purely human level of emotion, what you're saying is only true, fair, and common sense. The topic is about the paranormal, that is, things that are not normal and cannot readily be defined by human thinking, logic, or reasoning. Specifically, we're talking about things that do transpire, not things we presume to. In this way, things are no less valid as paranormally real because there is a preexisting hypothesis scientifically. Experiencing something paranormal is a hyothesis in itself, as the brain trys to rationalize what just happened, or how its possible. Some things will never be answered by science, nor will we comprehend them, and thats part of the intrique of seeking the answers by a variety of means.

Valerie said in her post that she is interested in the research behind this activity which can shed some light on it, scientifically. I agree with that line of inquiry, as it admits there are unknown mysteries, but the pursuit of the key that unlocks those mysteries, is just as well served by scientific review than it is any other method.

EDIT:

Just saw your edit. Good stuff. Any more info on that? Sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Oh, the stories I could tell. One time we were investigating this haunted trainyard and our PKE readings were jumping off the charts.

Okay. I had to throw in some Ghostbusters there. Anyone who knows me saw it coming a mile away.

Though, I think it's appropriate to share at least one experience.

There was a time a few years back, when I still practiced Wicca fairly often, that I was really really lonely. I had just moved back to town after a really terrible relationship failure, and I was pretty alone. Even one of the two roommates I had flaked out and skipped town. So one night I cleared out some space in my room and started casting. I cleared my mind and found the spell I was looking for. I wasn't asking for much. Just looking for a friend. Someone to talk to and get to know. I wrote down my list of the qualities I was looking for in someone. Rolled up the list and sealed it away in a pouch.

It was that Friday or Saturday I believe that me and Jim decided to check out the local anime store that had opened while I was gone. The girl working that night was named Jessica, and we seemed to hit it off really well. Even after she'd locked up the store, we ended up sitting around outside talking for a couple of hours. We hung out a few times after that, got to know each other better, and became really fast friends.

It didn't take long before I knew something had worked. And after a week, I opened the pouch and read my list. She met every quality on the list except for one out of the dozen or so I wrote down (Yes, if anyone asks, she was ticklish, and that was on the list. 😛). We're still friends today, even though she off and joined the army to be a nurse. I made a lot of friends through her, and even got to work at the anime store for a long while.

I know some people don't believe in magick and stuff. I had for a while at that point, and it didn't fail me when I needed it. I'm sharing this in a paranormal discussion, but thinking back... it didn't seem so strange at the time.

I think people often confuse four ideas: magic (illusion), sorcery (Merlin and Harry Potter; the fantastic), real witchcraft (old-school devil-worship, baby-eating, and malevolent invocations; necromancy, vodoun, and gypsy curses), and Wicca (a new age polytheistic religion).

IMO, Wiccan spells aren't really all that different from prayers (Christian or otherwise) in function, since both are often invocations of supernatural forces to bring about a desired result...it just so happens that said supernatural powers come from within as opposed to without (according to some covens; I know that most abide by the "god/goddess" dynamic). Really, as far as I can tell, the biggest difference is in form as Wiccan spells tend to be more ritualistic than prayers (and really only marginally so as casting a circle has just as much significance to a Wiccan as crossing oneself to a Christian). In the end, all it really takes is faith in something. And faith itself is a strange force.

EDIT: I'd be interested in reading about any other experiences you may have had as a Wiccan, if you wish to relate such experiences...

Last edited:
If you were to approach the idea from a scientic viewpoint then that would most certain be a part of the case. I'm, of course, not saying that being in a place you would otherwise feel safe (a police station with cops who found you lost and are calling your parents and reassuring you its ok, for example) because you've been taught that these are good places, or its engrained in your psyche that these are good, safe places, that it means anything other than that.

On the purely human level of emotion, what you're saying is only true, fair, and common sense. The topic is about the paranormal, that is, things that are not normal and cannot readily be defined by human thinking, logic, or reasoning. Specifically, we're talking about things that do transpire, not things we presume to. In this way, things are no less valid as paranormally real because there is a preexisting hypothesis scientifically. Experiencing something paranormal is a hyothesis in itself, as the brain trys to rationalize what just happened, or how its possible. Some things will never be answered by science, nor will we comprehend them, and thats part of the intrique of seeking the answers by a variety of means.

Valerie said in her post that she is interested in the research behind this activity which can shed some light on it, scientifically. I agree with that line of inquiry, as it admits there are unknown mysteries, but the pursuit of the key that unlocks those mysteries, is just as well served by scientific review than it is any other method.

Yes indeed, good sir; even the Catholic Church employs a Devil's Advocate from time to time. I'm of the mind that the truth isn't often found at one extreme or the other, but rather somewhere in the middle...and only healthy speculation from one camp (science or belief in the supernatural) can keep the other honest (unlike "MythBusters," where the science tends to be faulty and presumptuous--but I digress).

EDIT:

Just saw your edit. Good stuff. Any more info on that? Sounds interesting.

All the books I've read on this particular subject have been survey texts; that is, they cover a variety of subjects in broad chapters entitled "Ghost Ships" or the like. As such, that's really all the information I've seen on the subject in print. Wikipedia University, however, has an article that's a bit more in-depth.

The wiki article is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste

While I obviously can't attest to the voracity of the article, it's at least an interesting piece that's worth a read.

Last edited:
What's New

9/26/2024
The TMF Chatroom is always busy and its free1
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back