• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Question about dogs

McPersian

Let me start out by stating I have never owned a dog. Not as a kid, not as an adult. Mom doesn't like dogs, and my father never grew up with them, either (while dogs aren't exactly Haram, or forbidden/unclean, they sure aren't Halal, either, so my grandparents circumvented the "problem" by never having them).

Well, my 2nd youngest sister has a dog, a little Chihuahua (not one of those little barking bastards, he's pretty cool). She and her husband are going on vacation, and I've been asked to keep him, and I've agreed. She's sending his food, treats, all that stuff.

He'll be with me and my cat (an old battleaxe that hates everyone but me. She's not skittish, she outright bites). I am...apprehensive about how she's going to do with the dog. I'm not scared of him hurting her, I'm afraid she'll hurt him.

This isn't long term, it's only for four days. Anyone have any advice about what to do in the event she's mean to him? I really don't want to isolate either of them (that's mean). Also, he's coming to "unfamiliar territory", so is there any way to help the little guy be more at ease?

Thanks anyone with advice.

Well, it's like bringing any two animals together, one who is new into someone's territory. May not be pretty. Does your cat still have her front claws? If so, could be very dangerous to lil yappy. Will you be with the two of them the whole first day (if not the first two)? If not, I'd say keep them separated. Might be cruel, but better than one of them getting torn apart. As far as keeping yappy at ease, I don't know - my experience for the past 30 years is with cats. She may like keeping ypy yapping.

Isolating them isn't cruel - it's for their own protection. It will be stressful for both animals. Since you have little to no experience with dogs, you also won't be familiar with reading his body language and reacting to it in a timely fashion. This could let things escalate to serious trouble between the two of them. But if you insist on trying to have them co-exist peacefully for four days, then I have the following recommendations:

When introducing a dog to a cat, I recommend having a light leash around the dog (a slip lead as we call it) so you can have a handle on him in case you need to intervene and move him away from your cat. Putting the cat in a carrier that allows him to see the dog while the dog is allowed to sniff him is another way. Make sure your cat has a safe place, too - a room or somewhere up high where he can escape. I often recommend baby gates to be able to give each one space (ideal for where the litter box is). I can also recommend something called a Sentry collar for both of them - it has lavender in it which has a tendency to be a natural calming agent. For dogs, we use something called DAP (dog anxiety pheromone) or Adaptil and for cats we use Feliway to help ease stress. But above all, just give them each a safe place where they can "escape." Does your sister's dog have a crate/kennel?? If so, use that in whatever area you designate for him to get away from your cat.

For what it's worth, I've had dogs and cats for years and I ALWAYS give them separate spaces when I am not there to supervise. But my cats weren't exposed to dogs as kittens, just later in life as adults. Hence why I didn't trust that the two species could co-exist peacefully. A cat doesn't need a whole house to be comfortable 24 hours a day. They need security and routine. You will already be disrupting that routine, so expect that there will be some attitude and adjustments to be made. For disciplining a cat, I typically try a spray bottle with a little lemon juice added. But mostly, positive rewards or treats for when they are together and getting along (or ignoring each other) works better than punishment.

Just FYI, Desdemona is a veterinarian with a few decades' experience. And a very pleasant person.

Thank you all for the advice.

Oh yes, she still has her claws. She's a "stray" I befriended and brought inside years ago. She's a wonderful, loving old girl; to me.

Yes, I will be home all four days. Took two days off work, and the other two days are the weekend (he'll be here on Thursday). My sister asked some other people first, all said "no". I said "yes" so they didn't have to put him in a kennel (doggy hotel).

As to isolating, I'd been under the impression that it was mean. Yes, he does have a crate, my sister keeps him in it at night.

Reading your solid advice, Desdemona, I likely will pick up some baby gates and a "slip leash". I don't want his stay here to be hell on earth, not for him, my cat, or myself.

Just FYI, Desdemona is a veterinarian with a few decades' experience. And a very pleasant person.

:cheer::aww: Thanks for the endorsement - hard to believe it's been 19 years since I graduated (your comment of "a few decades" made me pause and calculate how old I really am...thanks!).

Des....age has its advantages.....wish you were the vet for our kitty

:cheer::aww: Thanks for the endorsement - hard to believe it's been 19 years since I graduated (your comment of "a few decades" made me pause and calculate how old I really am...thanks!).

Well, unless I'm mistaken, you did qualify as a veterinarian aged 14, right? 😉

What's New

9/20/2024
Clips4Sale offers the most tickling clips in one place on the entire web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back