• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Return of the TMF Classic Rock Vote-Off! (Round 4)

TMF Classic Rock Vote-Off (Round 4)

• Fleetwood Mac

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • REO Speedwagon

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave2112

Level of Cherry Feather
Greetings friends! Boy, talk about a long lay-off, huh? Some of you may remember, some of you may not have been here yet, but a couple of months ago I started something for us to do in GenDis called the Classic Rock Vote-Off. It's basically a bracket-style vote/poll where we'll pit 32 of the best classic rock bands against each other with you deciding who'll stand alone at the end. A lot of things happened between the last round and this one, I had moved, moved back....damn...lots 'o stuff. Anyway, I DID happen to find the original bracket sheet! So, we can pick this up where we left off. (I wound up expanding from 20 bands to 32...I looked at it and the brackets just wouldn't have worked with 20, plus there were a lot I left off that should really be in here.)

For those of you catching up or needing to remember...we ran three rounds so far. The Doors beat CCR in Round 1; Genesis beat ELP in Round 2 and Black Sabbath beat Deep Purple in Round 3.

For those just joining us, a note about who's included and how, and how the game works. I tried to include the "important" bands (there are no solo artists in this challenge), the ones who had some sort of impact on the music world. Yes, there are bands who you hear all the time on classic rock radio, but it's always thier One Big Hit. So...no Foghat. Get it? Also, there ARE a few hard-rock/metal bands on the list, but I kept that to only the ones who either had a major impact on the world of music at the time, or who have had a serious longevity and are still relevant. So....yes Iron Maiden and Metallica....no Motley Crue or Ratt.

As far as how the game is played, it's simple. Each round pits one band against the other. In the first round of brackets, the initial ones, I tried to keep similar bands together, or something that ties each band together in some way to make it a fair challenge. Of course, having a few leftovers, some are just matched up where they fit. 😉 I'll post the current round with a poll....you can post in the thread or just vote, it doesn't matter. each round will stay active for about two days, depending on how many votes we get to make it a fair outcome and also depending on my own personal schedule. In short, I'll wing it. :triangle: I have the whole thing written down on a bracket chart, and whoever moves on from one round will face off against the winner of the adjacent bracket. (I set them up randomly, so it should be interesting as the game progresses.)

So, that's that. Like I said, I have the results stored and recorded for the rounds we already played so we don't have to start all over. We have a lot of music fans on the TMF, so let your voices be heard! Let's find out who the TMF members consider the Greatest Classic Rock Band of All Time!

Round 4 brings us away from the hard-rock grandaddies of the last round and into a couple of true hit-makers of the '70's and '80's.

Fleetwood Mac vs. REO Speedwagon.

I put these two together as they both started out in what could be called a "classic rock" sort of sound and evolved into hit-making machines. Both had at least one album that still remains in almost everyone's "must have" collection; Mac's Rumours and REO's Hi Infidelity both shattered previous records for sales and number of singles from one album.

So, what say you, TMF Members? Who moves on? It's up to you.

You're joking, right?

I mean..Seriously.

C'mon.

This one can be shut down as soon as I post my response;

REO SPEEDWAGON.

Seriously, Guy.

Keep on Loving you..?
Can't Fight this feeling..?
Take it on the run...?
Tough Guys...?

COME ON.

Ok, I'll kick off this round. (Edit: Crystal beat me to it!) This was actually a very tough one for me, and I made the damn brackets! Fleetwood Mac was always a very special band to me, even in the "pre-chick" days. And Rumours is one of those albums I listen to at least once a week. Not only are the songs true classics, but the whole feel of the album, the way the internal strife and emotional conflicts within the band came through in the heart-felt tunes still moves me.

However, in the end, I went with REO. Tough call. I was always actually more of an REO fan of the "pre-Top 40" days when they had that midwestern American sound. You Can Tune a Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish and the eponymous REO contain some of the most powerfully melodic rock tunes I have in my vast collection. Gary Richrath, one of rock's truly underrated guitarists, reminded me som much of Floyd's David Gilmour in the powerful simplicity of his solos. He didn't have to rip off a hundred notes per second in order to make a solo mean something and draw you in to the feel of the song. Neil Doughty was always one of my main influences as a keyboardist, and Kevin Cronin still has "that voice" that just soars with emotion. Not to mention he's one of rock's truly great frontmen. The deciding factor for me was how REO basically invented the "power ballad" and how that actually came out of the songwriting rift between Cronin and Richrath. One preferring straight-forward rock and the other enjoying moving melodies helped to forge emotional songs with balls behind them.

Two radically different styles, I'd say. I was a tough choice for me, but I went with Fleetwood Mac mostly because of guitarist Lindsey Buckingham. What tipped the scales for me was that one Fleetwood Mac tune, I can't remember the name of it but its very old, long before their big Top 40 run. "Don't ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answer that you want me to."

One thing I did like about REO is that their singer (Cronin?) keeps in a moderate range similar to Robin Zander of Cheat Prick. Easier for guys like me to parody. 😀

Though REO Speedwagon was probably one of my favorite all time groups, I have to give the edge to Fleetwood Mac.
Tusk.

Thats all Ive gotta say.

Rob

"I tried to include the "important" bands (there are no solo artists in this challenge), the ones who had some sort of impact on the music world."

And....what impact did REO Speedwagon have on the music world??? 😵

Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

"I tried to include the "important" bands (there are no solo artists in this challenge), the ones who had some sort of impact on the music world."

And....what impact did REO Speedwagon have on the music world??? 😵

Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

C'MON chick ! You know...you've got good taste in music from what I've seen..

REO freakin' ROCKED Power Ballads. They we're impacting. NOT mushy..the element of rock still stood in their music, even when singin' bout love an all the elements involved in it!

Rob:

Seriously. No. Why. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

I'm gonna go with the lesser of 2 evils and vote for REO...but that's not saying much.

Not really a fan of power ballads, so I guess I don't recognize it as a huge contribution, lol.

Don't get me wrong, REO is/was a great band. But not...legendary to me (the way fleetwood mac is). Lot of nostalgia associated with REO (oh the couple skating to REO /sigh). But Fleetwood Mac moves me in ways REO never could.

What tipped the scales for me was that one Fleetwood Mac tune, I can't remember the name of it but its very old, long before their big Top 40 run. "Don't ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answer that you want me to."😀

That song was titled, "Oh Well," from the album Then Play On, Drew. That's one of my faves of Fleetwood Mac, too. And with that being said, I voted for Fleetwood Mac, mainly because I've loved them from their bluesy beginnings all the way to their recent work (which means their 2004 tour, but I heard they're planning on getting Sheryl Crow into the act soon). Nothing wrong with REO Speedwagon, mind you, but given the choice, Fleetwood Mac wins my vote.

REO Speedwagon.
Both bands are not really among my favorites though 😉

Well

REO, no real contest (I love ballads, but not whiny ones as so many seem to be, theirs weren't). That said, I have no idea who's gone in former brackets, and my alltime favorite would have to be Don Henley/Eagles. REO's up there though, never really cared for much of Fleetwood's stuff. Genesis deserves a win, although I liked Phil's solo stuff less, and Rod Stewart is up there on my alltime list too. I like distinctive voices.

Never could past the name, always wanted to ask if they wanted fries with that. Felt the same about Pink Floyd (who the hell is Floyd)?

😉

Hey Biscuitguy...look above. I posted the winners of the previous brackets, and Genesis already won thier first one over ELP.

Eagles are coming up, got them against...let's see here......someone good. 'Sall I'm sayin'. 😉

I see that many people, even the ones that are voting for them, are pigeonholing REO for only the "power ballads". Take a listen to "I'll Follow You", "Stillness of the Night", "Ridin' the Storm Out" and "Back On theRoad Again", and let's talk RAWK.

That is all. :triangle:

There can be only one.............

That being said..............

stevienicks1356inqt4.jpg

Fleetwood Mac.......:hipoke:

Stevie Nicks is sex....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KE4HGlmtOcg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KE4HGlmtOcg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dxPD9oZpYGc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dxPD9oZpYGc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited:
What...NO Foghat?????

"Fool For the City"
"I Just Want To Make Love To You"
"Slow Ride"
"Driving Wheel"
"Stone Blue"

And those are just the hits!!!!!!

Anyway....I'm picking Fleetwood Mac only cause I'm voting for the original line-up. Give me the Peter Green/Jeremy Spencer blues-era Mac from the late 60s.

REO Speedwagon just gets on my nerves. Not only the lightweight furry ballads, but Kevin Cronin's annoying "rap" on those live versions of "157 Riverside Avenue".

Drew

Oh, I hear ya on Stevie, Ray. Completely get it. I had such a thing for her before Lindsey Buckingham, cocaine and Krispy Kreme got to her....

I'd-a done shit to that girl you wouldn't do to a farm animal....

:triangle:

Hey Dave...

If you could remind us...how long do you keep the voting up for?

As of right now CNN is ready to project Fleetwood Mac the winner with 66% of the vote.
Rob:

Seriously. No. Why. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
Because the song TUSK is one of my all-time favorites (love those drums) and sounds awesome with a live marching band chiming in at the end.

Rob

Actually, Rob...I was thinking of posting something tomorrow or maybe embedded in the text of the next round....about how quickly this seems to be going. I'm starting to wonder if two days is really necessary. I'm keeping an eye on the number of votes, and if it stays stagnant 'tween today and tomorrow AM, I'll close this one. I want to know if people think we can do a round per day and have it work, or, to speed things along (there's a LOT of brackets...) maybe post a group of two or three at a time.

Let me know what you guys think in the next round. (Or here, if you keep checking back. :triangle:)

My suggestion would be to keep each round up for 2 days at least. Not everyone who might wanna play is online every single day. 😉

I really like the idea of having a group of two or three at a time to speed things up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back