• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What are some of the strangest pieces of music you've ever listened to?

kopfhorer1

1st Level Orange Feather
I'd vote for Hymnen by Karlheinz Stockhausen, followed closely by Ionisation by Edgard Varese.

A bit closer to the mainstream, I'd vote for Revolution #9 by The Beatles (word was that Revolution #9 was inspired by Stockhausen).

Yeah, I immediately thought of Edgar Varese. I picked up a double-album of his "music" back when I was a teenager in the early '70s; as much of it as I'd ever want to listen to. Sirens, alarm clock bells, machine gun fire, all annoyingly insistent... sounded like a bunch of random junk falling down a flight of stairs.

I'd vote for Hymnen by Karlheinz Stockhausen, followed closely by Ionisation by Edgard Varese.

A bit closer to the mainstream, I'd vote for Revolution #9 by The Beatles (word was that Revolution #9 was inspired by Stockhausen).

Say, did you hear that Paul would like to release a fabled lost Beatles track, kopfhorer? Apparently, it's a free-form kinda sound collage that Paul asked the lads to help him with. It's only been heard once in almost 40 years. From the sounds of the avant-garde aspects of the track, it might have a place in this very thread. He still has to get "okays" from Ringo Star and the estates of the others.

As for offbeat music? It's funny that you should ask, as I was listening to an old "Dr. Demento" radio show from 1986 on the commute today. One of the tracks was Napoleon-the-14th's Split Level Head, which, if you've ever heard it(or most any of their material) you know how bizarre they can be. Another was the classic, I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me Than Have to Have a Frontal Lobotomy, which I'd heard once before, though I forget the artist's name.

Split Level Head has one of the greatest percussion rhythm lines of any piece of popular music! Loved that dual-track vocal line too! Took my head right off when I heard it on the Doctor Demento show back in the day!

Yes, Rick, I've heard about that "lost" Beatles track. I sincerely hope that Ringo, Yoko and Olivia give it the green light. I (along with zillions of other Beatles and avant-garde fans) are champing at the bit to hear it!

in the movie "Raise the Red Lantern" there is Chinese opera performed..it's a rather strange and different type of music...at least to me it is..

I can't believe I'm going to post this.

I was looking for a band on You Tube. One of the related videos caught my eye, and I played it.

It was 4 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. I should've known from the title not to click it.

"What What (In the Butt)"

*rolls eyes"

Hunh. I don't recall knowing anything of Edgard Varese prior to this thread, but then just today I run across some of his pieces on a newsgroup devoted to Frank Zappa's music. "Ionization" was one of them. :yowza: That thing's all over the place. I really enjoyed the hullabaloo-inspired "Arcana", too!

in the movie "Raise the Red Lantern" there is Chinese opera performed..it's a rather strange and different type of music...at least to me it is..

I haven't seen that one, but if it's anything like some of the Chinese Operas I've heard, I...know what you mean. :wooha: :redstar:

I can't believe I'm going to post this.

I was looking for a band on You Tube. One of the related videos caught my eye, and I played it.

It was 4 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. I should've known from the title not to click it.

"What What (In the Butt)"

*rolls eyes"

"What What (In the Butt)"? That was the actual title of the track? :laughing:

Gogol Bordello, MIA, Santogold, Sufjan Stevens, and Stan Getz with Joao Gilberto live at Carnegie Hall. There's probably more though...

"What What (In the Butt)"? That was the actual title of the track? :laughing:

*hangs head in shame*

Yes, it is.

If you are really curious (i'm not posting a link here) just go to YouTube and search "Samwell What What" and you'll find it.

*hangs head in shame*

Yes, it is.

If you are really curious (i'm not posting a link here) just go to YouTube and search "Samwell What What" and you'll find it.

Okay, as long as this isn't just payback for that link I posted to "Split Level Head". :laughing:

Gogol Bordello, MIA, Santogold, Sufjan Stevens, and Stan Getz with Joao Gilberto live at Carnegie Hall. There's probably more though...

I adore what I've heard from Sufjan Stevens!

Speaking of MIA, which of her diverse tracks would you nominate specifically for this thread, AnnieHall? I'd roll with "Mango Pickle Down River".

I adore what I've heard from Sufjan Stevens!

Speaking of MIA, which of her diverse tracks would you nominate specifically for this thread, AnnieHall? I'd roll with "Mango Pickle Down River".

If that's the one with the group of aborigines kids rapping, then yeah, definitely that one.

Godspeed You! Black Emporer do these really weird, 20+ minute songs. Great stuff though.

I first heard this one on the Dr. Demento Show. As luck would have it, someone bothered to upload it to YoooTooobe! :nerd::greenstar:note:

The Essential Fripp and Eno

Never heard that one, however, the stuff Fripp did with King Crimson was certainly bizarre, and I absolutely love Eno's work, as a composer, musician, and producer! Especially his ambient textures.

Here's Bulbous Bouffant, by the Vestibules. I wouldn't really recommend any of the videos of it. It's best just to listen to it rather than watch it. Things get downright bizarro around the three minute mark. :weird:

Never heard that one, however, the stuff Fripp did with King Crimson was certainly bizarre, and I absolutely love Eno's work, as a composer, musician, and producer! Especially his ambient textures.

Here's Bulbous Bouffant, by the Vestibules. I wouldn't really recommend any of the videos of it. It's best just to listen to it rather than watch it. Things get downright bizarro around the three minute mark. :weird:

^ Lol, I listened to that Bulbous Bouffant...weird! :bouncy:

"Essential Fripp and Eno" (album) has very subtle weirdness in it (like space age hypnosis), more hostile, not so dissonant but too repetitive that I prefer Fripp with King Crimson better.

Last edited:

(Virtual hi-5) I've been an Eno fan since hearing Another Green World waaaay back in the day!

King's lead hat put the innocence inside her
It will come, it will come, it will surely come
King's lead hat was a mother to desire
It will come, it will come, it will surely come.
- Brian Eno, King's Lead Hat* (* - an anagram of the name "Talking Heads")

While not as vehemently against him sound as many of the commentators on YouTube, I gotta admit to simply not understanding the genius of Edgar Varese. :huh

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back