• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Blu-ray worth the money?

ZenTickling

1st Level Green Feather
I've got some extra cash and am considering getting a blu-ray player with surround sound (package deal). Is the quality worth the investment? I've done some research but I'm interested in getting opinions from some of the folks on the forum. I have a 42" 720p plasma TV. I know 1080p would be ideal but I read that with smaller TVs you really can't tell the difference.

Ehh. I had a Sony LCD TV that died after a year and they wanted $350 to fix it, so I don't support Sony either. I won't buy another Sony product, but I'm not going to count Blu-Ray since it's becoming universal.

Blu-Ray is vastly superior than DVD, so yes it is worth the investment :). Of course, what investment? The movies cost like $2 more, if that (with exceptions, of course) and the quality is night and day. You're right, 720 vs. 1080 is not noticeable until you get beyond probably 40" tvs. DVDs can't take advantage of your 720 television though so you're kind of screwing yourself by not getting blu-ray. The one thing that people don't realize, and what's the cause of certain people to say blu-ray/hd isn't worth it, is that older movies have questionable transfers to blu-ray. If an older movie was originally made on poor quality film by the production company, it's not going to be all that much better than when it was made on DVD. Movies made beyond the early 2000s won't have this problem though. It's worth it, even though occasionally you will find movies filmed with so-so equipment that simply was not all that great in the first place and has only marginal improvements with blu-ray.

I'd say it's worth it, and if you or are considering getting a PS3 then you already have/will get a great blu-ray player included. Like jonny86 said, Blu-Ray offers noticeably superior quality, especially on larger television screens and often boast lots of extra features due to the extra disc space. He also has a point about older movie transfers, but there are plenty of great transfers out there from places like the Criterion Collection. Check out http://www.blu-ray.com/ for professional and user reviews.

As far as TVs, since you mentioned an issue you had with your Sony, I thought I'd share that I also had a 720p/60Hz Samsung die after two years of not overly-strenuous use and the wanted a small fortune to fix it. That made me realize that brand name doesn't always equal better, though they often will have the cutting edge features, and bought a replacement Insignia brand from Bestbuy with 120hz, 1080p resolution, and 4 HDMI ports for around $400 (compared to the $600 Samsung). At the same time, I was living in an older building while away at school and did not have the TV plugged into a surge protector all the time which, looking back on things, may have been the cause of my woes. So always protect your investment; I'd personally recommend getting a surge protector that has automatic voltage regulation, as "dirty power" can mean an early demise for your tech.

You have to be pretty picky to notice the difference, it is better but its certainly not worth all the extra money, HD is fine, its spot on, blu ray just isnt needed in my opinion.

I've got some extra cash and am considering getting a blu-ray player with surround sound (package deal). Is the quality worth the investment? I've done some research but I'm interested in getting opinions from some of the folks on the forum. I have a 42" 720p plasma TV. I know 1080p would be ideal but I read that with smaller TVs you really can't tell the difference.

From what I know and heard from my friends, the only thing Blu-ray is superior to HD-DVD is the capacity having 50gb and 30b at the most respectively. In terms of quality, which is dictated by the bit-rate, surprisingly HD-DVD's provides a slightly higher bit-rate its opponent. However the difference is virtually impossible to notice when it comes to watching movies, games are a different story however and yes me has ps3 :). On the other hand, they say Blu-ray has the potential to over take HD-DVD's with its capacity advantage and the possibility of an improved player.

If you ask me though, price is a helluva factor. HD wins for now. :)

Hope I helped.

-J

Well I don't have HD-DVDs.. my (small) collection at the moment consists of regular DVDs. I know they are upconverted for 720p, and that's where the difference would come in with Blu-Ray. Basically I'm debating between getting a Blu-Ray player and some new movies or sticking with playing regular DVDs on my Xbox.

When I buy a DVD I kinda feel like I am wasting money. There was a transition from VHS to DVD, and know I'm wondering if Blu-Ray is the next step. Rolling the dice I guess.

Well I don't have HD-DVDs.. my (small) collection at the moment consists of regular DVDs. I know they are upconverted for 720p, and that's where the difference would come in with Blu-Ray. Basically I'm debating between getting a Blu-Ray player and some new movies or sticking with playing regular DVDs on my Xbox.

When I buy a DVD I kinda feel like I am wasting money. There was a transition from VHS to DVD, and know I'm wondering if Blu-Ray is the next step. Rolling the dice I guess.

Yeah It is kinda like that. No clue whether or not sony will fumble on blu-ray.

I think I know the solution! Forget disks! Use USB Sticks! haha! Plug and play!

Right now many people are streaming and downloading their movies. I think Best Buy has even cut way down on its Blu-Ray offerings. DVD's been around too long so I dont think they will die out anytime soon.

I would say if you find a great deal on Blu-Ray Player it might be worth going for it but otherwise I would just wait. Perhaps just upgrade to a faster connection so you can download movies faster and also get the advantage of surfing the web faster. :)

I do like streaming (I'm streaming Taxi Driver with Amazon now), but there is something to be said for having something physical. I've downloaded several TV shows through iTunes, and while I've enjoyed them I'm missing out on quite a bit. There are no special features and I'm limited as far as the number of times I can transfer/burn the files.

DVDs first came out in the US back in 1997 and they didn't stop selling VHS until 2008, so maybe the switch to Blu-Ray will be similar.

I just order a Blu-Ray player today for $100, so I'll see if it lives up to the hype. If not I can always return it. :)

I do like streaming (I'm streaming Taxi Driver with Amazon now), but there is something to be said for having something physical. I've downloaded several TV shows through iTunes, and while I've enjoyed them I'm missing out on quite a bit. There are no special features and I'm limited as far as the number of times I can transfer/burn the files.

DVDs first came out in the US back in 1997 and they didn't stop selling VHS until 2008, so maybe the switch to Blu-Ray will be similar.

I just order a Blu-Ray player today for $100, so I'll see if it lives up to the hype. If not I can always return it. :)

Honestly I hear ya about having something physical. It why I havent gotten one of those E-reader type thingies. I just really like owning a physical book. :)

A 100 dollars sounds pretty good. :thumbsup:

From what I know and heard from my friends, the only thing Blu-ray is superior to HD-DVD is the capacity having 50gb and 30b at the most respectively. In terms of quality, which is dictated by the bit-rate, surprisingly HD-DVD's provides a slightly higher bit-rate its opponent. However the difference is virtually impossible to notice when it comes to watching movies, games are a different story however and yes me has ps3 :). On the other hand, they say Blu-ray has the potential to over take HD-DVD's with its capacity advantage and the possibility of an improved player.

If you ask me though, price is a helluva factor. HD wins for now. :)

HDDVDs were phased out as of 2008. Only China still offers them from what I've read.

I was meh about Blu Ray. Until I watched WALL-E on a Blu Ray. Got a PS3 about a week later. :)

While 720p is noticeably more spectacular than standard definition DVD and broadcasts, the difference between 720p and 1080p is negligible unless you have a wall-sized screen or are sitting within a metre of your display (and even then, the apparent difference is more like a notch).

The main reasons to upgrade to Blu-ray are high-end Hollywood films, as well as – specifically – BBC Planet Earth and BBC Life, and for all goodness, make sure they're narrated by Attenborough.

I bought a Vizio Blue Ray player a few months ago from Costco. It's mostly okay, but there are some issues. For one, every time I play a regular DVD on it, the English subtitles are on by default, even though I've specified no subtitles in the global settings.

Also, there's some funky interaction between the machine and my TV over the HDMI interface that sometimes results in a strong purple tint over the picture.

There is a USB port on the blue-ray machine to which I can plug in a thumb drive and watch video clips. Sometimes that works, but far too often it crashes the blue ray and I have to power cycle it.

Other than that, it's been great. Even regular DVD's seem to look better.

Yeah I can't wait to get it.. it was packaged together with a home theater system so I'm pretty excited. Damn Best Buy was charging $120 more than Amazon so I just ordered online. Also picked up 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Dark Knight to test out the quality.

The people who RUN Sony can die in a fire. Then maybe people who can run it better can take over.

I think Blu-ray is TOTALLY worth it. As a videophile, I'm so fucking sick of audiophiles putting all the emphasis on their fucking speakers when it comes to movie packaging: these motherfuckers will put all their focus on the KHz rate of the 5.1+ channel Dolby Surround System but not give a shit if the disc is fullscreen or widescreen.

Fuck those assholes. Blu-Ray audio tracks are often lossless with compressed alternate tracks for those who care.

But the VIDEO...OMG the VIDEO can be a revelation. True, it's not as nice as watching a brand-new pristine print (25GB is hardly the zenith of image reproduction), but when a transfer is done right, it can make you cry and erect at the same time.

CAUTION! Not all Blu-ray discs are created equal. You have to either rent or research each title when they get released because I'm seen some NOISY fucking transfers out there and I've saved so much money by looking them up rather than buying them outright. I usually use highdefdigest.com for my research, but feel free to follow up on your own with a title before you put your money down.

But some of the best, most glorious transfers I've ever seen are:

Serenity
The Road Warrior
Se7en
Hellraiser
Evil Dead 2
Transformers
Pulp Fiction
Tron: Legacy
The Dark Knight
North By Northwest
The Tree of Life
Days of Heaven
Boogie Nights
There Will Be Blood
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
(1974)

Star Trek was amazing on blu-ray :) It was one of the first 3 I got when I got my blu-ray player. I also got Snatch, eventually, and that's one of those movies that probably is not much better than the DVD version.

To be honest, though, there are some blu-rays where you can't tell the difference between the real world and what's happening inside the TV. The sad part is that I think after a while, after you've been accustomed to blu-rays and HD cable tv, the amazingness kinda fades. Of course, I think that's true of all new technologies :)

Thanks for the list.. I've watched four movies so far and I have Alien on right now. It was DEFINITELY worth the money.

What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back