• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Favorite books

blackmagicjack1

3rd Level Red Feather
Felt like starting something. My two favorite books at this time happen to be "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton and "Watership Down" by Richard Adams.

Just finished reading "Hollywood Babylon". Its truly amazing what goes on in the lives of Hollywood stars.

Prefer Macbeth over Hamlet. "Is this a dagger I see before me" *said in a John Wayne kind of way*

MacBeth and Romeo and Juliet are good. I only know a little Hamlet though. You ever read Taming of the Shrew?

How can you say Hamlet is better than Macbeth if you haven't read it. I think that mayhap someone is biased.

Forsooth! I believe the lady doth not know what she is missing.

"Oh you'd like it. It's about a prison break."
"Then we'd better put that under 'education' too then, don't you think?"

I read almost exclusively non-fiction, mostly material about psychology, politics, or technology. However, I enjoyed Watership Down and Tailchaser's Song, both superb fictional stories about sentient animals.

MistressValerie said:
I read almost exclusively non-fiction, mostly material about psychology, politics, or technology. However, I enjoyed Watership Down and Tailchaser's Song, both superb fictional stories about sentient animals.
You know, I actually wouldn't be surprised if a lot of animals are a lot more sentient than we realize. Take dogs for instance. I know mine seem to be able to pick up on a lot of stuff , like how we feel and all sorts of stuff.

MistressValerie said:

Well one of the things that makes Watership Down fun is that besides being sentient, they're still rabbits and thinking in terms of what rabbits want.

Yes, in both of those stories the animals possessed human-like intelligence but were always true to their nature. Another acclaimed story that I haven't read yet is The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams, which does for dogs what Watership Down does for rabbits 🙂

Hmm, I should look that up, he also wrote Shardik which is supposed to be about a bear.

hmm..... Eldest, i think, though I never really picked a favourite book before....I have to come back on this one. :happy:

ticklishgiggle said:
Hamlet beats Macbeth any day... although I haven't read Macbeth yet

I've read...

Romeo and Juliet
Merchant of Venice
Julius Caesar
Measure For Measure
Comedy of Errors
Merry Wives of Windsor
Hamlet
You're a gal after my own heart. I'm especially impressed that you read the undeservedly overlooked "Measure for Measure," one of my favorites.

"Man, proud Man, drest in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assured,
His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As make the angels weep...."

Reading Shakespeare, of course, is only half the fun. Treat yourself to any performance you can, either on film or, preferably, on stage! There is no more heady and enriching experience to be had than Shakespeare performed live.

MistressValerie said:

Watership Down is one of my favorites as well, and quite possibly the top one.

Sir Peter Ustinov's somewhat different The Old Man and Mr. Smith, while not possessing quite as good an ending in my humble opinion, still ranks as one of the more interesting books I have read. Collapse, by [size=-1]Jared Diamond, is far and away the best non-fiction piece I've read in recent memory (The past year or so). I say recent because I've read so many non-fiction works that going to far back would result in a mountain of choices. A Stitch in Time, by [/size][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Andrew J. Robinson, and set in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine universe, is one of the better sci-fi works I've read, and far and away the top Star Trek novel I've picked up. Ender's Game and all its offspring by Orson Scott Card are treasures, and should be read by anyone interested in sci-fi. The RAMA series has my praise, although the length of the novels leaves them far from light reading.

I honestly could go on for days. I read far too much and have far too many books I'd consider favorites to list.
[/size][/font]

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand HDS. When I walk in the bookstore, I want to have it all. I'm not much into fiction. I like good true, factual books

Anything written by Glen Cook and Stephen Brust ussually get's high praise in my book too.

The wasp factory - Iam Banks
Lord of the rings - J.R.R Tolkien (Everyone puts it down I know, but no point lying about it ^^)
Romeo and Juliet, Julius Ceasar - Shakespere (The only Shakespere's that I've properly read outside of school and college)
The Sharpe Series - Bernard Cornwell (I'm a big cornwell fan 😀)
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Tess of the D'urbavilles - Thomas Hardy (Dull overall, but has its highlights)

Lots of others that I would feel embarrased to write down, especially after seeing TG's lists of shakespere's.

I dont blame u for the LOTR books; there is so much more happening in them, its really worth to read! I have it in hungarian, AND in english. 😉

Of course, I'll have to second the Lord of the Rings ones too. I just got finished rereading the trilogy a couple of weeks back. Definitely some of the best books out there. I won't lie either 😀

Chronicles of Narnia
The Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi, etc.)
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
ANYTHING by Ellery Queen

kyhawkeye said:
Chronicles of Narnia
The Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi, etc.)
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
ANYTHING by Ellery Queen
Yeah, I was wondering about that Alphabet series. What's she going to do once she hits Z, do you know? Not making jokes or anything. I'm really wondering about that (Yeah, I'm weird, I know.).

What's New

10/5/2024
Visit the TMF Chat Room! Always somethign going on, and its free!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back