• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Favorite books

Lately I've been reading "The Metamorphoses" by the Roman poet Ovid. If you love the stories of Greek and Roman mythology but have found "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" too daunting, Ovid is your man. His take on these stories is much more congenial for a modern reader than Homer...vivid, suspenseful, humorous, erotic and poignant. Somewhat overlooked nowadays, "The Metamorphoses" enjoyed a status in Shakespeare's day comparable to "The Lord of the Rings" or Harry Potter in ours (though it was written two millennia ago during the reign of Augustus.) I recommend the translation by Horace Gregory (available in paperback from Signet). His rendering is clear, poetic and very readable.

While we're on the subject of epic fantasy, let me put in a plug for another neglected masterpiece, this one from the 20th Century. On your shelf next to your Tolkien and Lewis, you should reserve a place of honor for the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake. Any great work of imagination will take you out of our world and into its own, but this one does it like no other I know of. Gormenghast is a huge, sprawling castle as large as a small city, presided over by the Groan dynasty and steeped in aeons of tradition. It is populated by the richest gallery of colorful and grotesque characters you'd ever dream of encountering. Peake was a poet and a painter as well as a novelist and his prose is lush with images that will never leave you: the Hall of Bright Carvings, the Tower of Owls, the melancholy Lord Sepulchrave and his wife, the ponderous, implacable Gertrude with her attendant swarm of cats...the gaunt chamberlain Flay striding gloomily through the halls of Gormenghast, his knees popping like rifle shots at every step...the daft, power hungry twins Cora and Clarice taking tea on the trunk of a huge tree which grows out from the the wall of the castle...poor, mad Fuschia, daughter of the Lord and Lady, living almost as a recluse in her secret attic...the giddy Dr. Prunesquallor and his preposterous spinster sister Irma...the mysterious and resourceful Steerpike whose purposes cannot be fathomed. If Charles Dickens had been an opium eater, he might have written this story. The first two volumes of the trilogy, "Titus Groan" and "Gormenghast," are really two parts of one long novel. (The third book, "Titus Alone," is a sequel and the quality drops precipitously; the author, knowing he was dying, wrote it hurriedly. Fortunately, it can be dispensed with.)

Last edited:
Nessie, there's nothing weird about liking "Pride and Prejudice." Jane Austen is brilliant, witty and deeply insightful. Always remember...some books are undeservedly forgotten, but none are undeservedly remembered.

You're right about "Flowers for Algernon," of course. I've read the short story, the novel and have appeared in two separate productions of the stage play. Wouldn't do any of it again at gunpoint, brilliant though the work is.

P.S. Could you wave your little magic mod wand and fix the typo in this thread's title. It drives me crazy. (Well, with me it's not so much a drive as a short putt.) Thanks.

Last edited:
*sigh* Myabe it was art or creative writeing...or the mad ramblings of a 5 year old

blackmagicjack said:
*sigh* Myabe it was art or creative writeing...or the mad ramblings of a 5 year old
I don't mean to be hard on you, Hoss. We all make typos. But I'm an old ex-newspaperman and they bug me inordinately. I only mentioned this one because it was in the thread title and I kept seeing it every time a new post came up.

Thanks for starting this thread, by the way. A similar one by the Hollywood Brother a year or so ago was what finally lured me out of my lurking ways and got me posting. I could discuss literature, high and low, all day if anyone would sit still for it.

I'm happy to see some of my favorite authors have already been mentioned 🙂

I love anything written by Agatha Christie. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is one of her best. I enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express almost as much.

I love the Harry Potter books. And any books about the Harry Potter books. Yes, I'm an avowed HPhead.

Chronicles of Narnia is also a fave. I can read and re-read those anytime.

Shakespeare... ok, so I have to mention Othello. Just for completeness...and because of my nick.

From my childhood, I loved A Wrinkle in Time. Wonderful Sci-Fi/Fantasy with such a warming message of love.

For more classics, check out Albert Camus's The Stranger if you like existentialism. And if you like Shakespeare, go back and check out Sophocles for early drama. You can't beat Oedipus Rex for drama - or any of the trilogy really.

What's New

10/5/2024
Visit the TMF Chat Room! Always somethign going on, and its free!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back