• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Science and Religion

It's not even speculation. We are less than 100 years away from getting to Mars, and Religion has set us back MUCH farther than 100 years.

Science is an inevitability yes, but Religion doesn't have to be. Religion is a place holder at best; people look at something, don't understand it, so then rather than taking the logical path and exploring it and testing it until you figure it out, they give up and attribute it to something of a higher power.
Now, I don't have a problem with it...so long as they drop the placeholder when science gives them the actual answer. Science has explained how old the Earth is, and how planets and stars form...and yet, here we are, still arguing about it. Well, half-arguing; only one side of the argument has put any actual evidence on the table.

you see, the problem with your view of science is that you perceive it solely as the modern science. Modern science exist with a present code of ethics. Science without ethics is simply barbarism.
Cut it, and if it bleeds, find out why. Who cares if it hurts it?
The thing about people is that they need ethics to coexist; ethics don't come from science. Unfortunately, the most common way to enforce ethics is using a reference to some higher authority. Who cares if god is imaginary? If it makes stupid people behave, then let them keep it.
Logic isn't for everyone. Fear is universal.
And I have yet to see how "would have" "should have" and "could have" are considered "actual evidence."

Oh, and you seem to be using the word "Christianity" and "religion" interchangeably. That's like saying "chemistry" to refer to all of science.

Last edited:
Relent<, that's possibly one of the most horrible things I've seen written on the TT that isn't a direct attack on somebody else. I hope you're just playing devil's advocate and maybe I missed the sarcasm somewhere down the line. If not...

Who cares if god is imaginary? People who are attempting to seek the truth concerning what many people consider the most important questions in human existence. To say that it's unimportant is essentially endorsing/enabling the shutting off of one's cognitive processes, and subjugation to false authority. "God dun it" is proclaimed when people stop looking for answers. Instead of trying to get stupid people to behave through fear, you should be endorsing the idea of teaching them. You can't teach somebody through fear of blind dogma. If the likes of Galileo and Hypatia could see what you wrote, they would turn in their graves.

Who cares if an immoral, infanticidal/genocidal, slavery-endorsing bumbling fool of a god that commands his followers to murder, rape, and destroy knowledge - is imaginary? People with a conscience.

Last edited:
you see, the problem with your view of science is that you perceive it solely as the modern science. Modern science exist with a present code of ethics. Science without ethics is simply barbarism.
Cut it, and if it bleeds, find out why. Who cares if it hurts it?
The thing about people is that they need ethics to coexist; ethics don't come from science. Unfortunately, the most common way to enforce ethics is using a reference to some higher authority.

Are you implying that all moral codes and ethics derive from Religion? If so, that's just silly. I have plenty of moral codes that I developed by being a decent human being. Also, my moral codes are largely tied in by the rules and laws of our federal government; an example being that I know that if I cut people, I get thrown in jail.
If that is not what you meant, then I don't see what that has to do with the topic at hand.

Logic isn't for everyone. Fear is universal.
And I have yet to see how "would have" "should have" and "could have" are considered "actual evidence."

Now you're implying that ruling people through fear is good. People are capable of developing moral compasses without a man in a white cloak telling them pretty little lies. Throw out the last two; if religion hadn't been thought up, we would have been to Mars by now. It's a simple matter of applying third grade logic.

Oh, and you seem to be using the word "Christianity" and "religion" interchangeably. That's like saying "chemistry" to refer to all of science.

I don't use them interchangeably. Christianity is a good example to use when referring to all religions, because it makes up 2.1 BILLION people on the planet. It is the LARGEST religion, so the most generalizations can be made about it.

Purplestyle- Lol. You're the only one to catch on. I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. I could give a shit about religion. XD

Mash- To continue pressing your buttons, no; not all morality is derived from religion. Not all federal law is derived from religion. Not all religion is christianity: but the umbrella under which all of these things sit is "but most of them are". Also, you might consider that third graders aren't very reasonable. If perhaps we had the capacity to look into alternate dimensions and see our parallel selves embarking on a successful mission to mars in the absence of religion, only then would that scenario be regarded as plausible. There are a lot of things to blame on religion, but i don't think our inability to transgress space, time, and harsh extraterrestrial weather patterns can be blamed on old pedophiles in white collars.
And the only reason I mention your use of Christianity so fervently is because the thread is titled "Science and Religion." Which brings me to my second point:
Considering how successful catholicism and subsequently christianity has become, regardless of the fact that it is one of the youngest religions on the planet (excluding "scientology" or "mormonism"), the reason it has become so wildly accepted is because of the fear that is associated with it. There are rebels in Africa under the banner of the cross that think they are invincible because they walk in the light of god, just as the crusaders that preceded them, and the inquisitioners before then. It has become so powerful because it is so illogical.
Buddhism is a logic based religion. Hinduism (following the reformation of all that "caste" junk) is a humanist religion. Taoism: logic. Confucianism: logic. Why don't people cling to these for the answer to their deep questions? Because they have no immediate need to. Christianity for the most part is based in immediacy, and the hereafter. Do this now: go to heaven. Fail at this, suffer for eternity. 1000 virgins. Etc.

The reason most people disdain the other religions is the same reason they often ignore science. There is no immediate punishment or reward. That's just human psychology.
Is it perfect? Of course not.

Relent<, that's possibly one of the most horrible things I've seen written on the TT that isn't a direct attack on somebody else. I hope you're just playing devil's advocate and maybe I missed the sarcasm somewhere down the line. If not...

Who cares if god is imaginary? People who are attempting to seek the truth concerning what many people consider the most important questions in human existence. To say that it's unimportant is essentially endorsing/enabling the shutting off of one's cognitive processes, and subjugation to false authority. "God dun it" is proclaimed when people stop looking for answers. Instead of trying to get stupid people to behave through fear, you should be endorsing the idea of teaching them. You can't teach somebody through fear of blind dogma. If the likes of Galileo and Hypatia could see what you wrote, they would turn in their graves.

Who cares if an immoral, infanticidal/genocidal, slavery-endorsing bumbling fool of a god that commands his followers to murder, rape, and destroy knowledge - is imaginary? People with a conscience.

How's that saying go? "You can take a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink." Or something like that. If you take a look at the current state of our educational system, you'll see how difficult it is to teach. And even if we had a system as good as--oh, say, Japan-- it is a socially observable phenomenon that the majority of people in any given population are ignorant. I'm all for teaching, but it won't do anything so long as people are too stupid to learn from their mistakes.
Look at civil rights; how many people do you think tried to educate racists so that they could peacefully incorporate the two societies? How many of them actually succeeded.
Ghandi died.
Martin Luther King was assassinated.
People are afraid of what they can't understand, and if they aren't willing to learn, they'd might as well declare war on all things ulterior.

Purplestyle- Lol. You're the only one to catch on. I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. I could give a shit about religion. XD

Mash- To continue pressing your buttons, no; not all morality is derived from religion. Not all federal law is derived from religion. Not all religion is christianity: but the umbrella under which all of these things sit is "but most of them are". Also, you might consider that third graders aren't very reasonable. If perhaps we had the capacity to look into alternate dimensions and see our parallel selves embarking on a successful mission to mars in the absence of religion, only then would that scenario be regarded as plausible. There are a lot of things to blame on religion, but i don't think our inability to transgress space, time, and harsh extraterrestrial weather patterns can be blamed on old pedophiles in white collars.
And the only reason I mention your use of Christianity so fervently is because the thread is titled "Science and Religion." Which brings me to my second point:
Considering how successful catholicism and subsequently christianity has become, regardless of the fact that it is one of the youngest religions on the planet (excluding "scientology" or "mormonism"), the reason it has become so wildly accepted is because of the fear that is associated with it. There are rebels in Africa under the banner of the cross that think they are invincible because they walk in the light of god, just as the crusaders that preceded them, and the inquisitioners before then. It has become so powerful because it is so illogical.
Buddhism is a logic based religion. Hinduism (following the reformation of all that "caste" junk) is a humanist religion. Taoism: logic. Confucianism: logic. Why don't people cling to these for the answer to their deep questions? Because they have no immediate need to. Christianity for the most part is based in immediacy, and the hereafter. Do this now: go to heaven. Fail at this, suffer for eternity. 1000 virgins. Etc.

The reason most people disdain the other religions is the same reason they often ignore science. There is no immediate punishment or reward. That's just human psychology.
Is it perfect? Of course not.

I came into this thread fully prepared to deal with the mountains of stupidity, and a will strong enough to shovel through the piles of vacuous crap that people keep throwing at me so that I can possibly knock some logic into their faithful little minds. I assure you, you have yet to even find a button.

Your next sentence implies that prior to religion, most federal laws didn't exist, and nobody had any morals. Congratulations world history, you are dead wrong; prior to religion, there was complete and total anarchy. The fact that third graders aren't very reasonable was kind of the point I was trying to get at. It isn't very hard to see the hole that religion has blasted in our overall knowledge. I seem to remember a period in time where people were keen to throw many, many books into giant bonfires, and I assure you, it wasn't the atheists that were advocating this literary barbecue. Overall, you seem to be totally missing my point, so I will try and put it into an analogy that you could understand.

Let's say that you have a person in a race. This person is called Science. About 30 meters out of the starting line, a nasty little troublemaker named Religion sticks his foot out, and trips Science. Now Science has to waste valuable time re-cooperating from the SETBACK that Religion has just caused it, and as a result will cross the finish line at a date that is farther into the future than originally expected.

You freely admit that the two largest religious belief systems rule by fear, and you still continue to advocate their existence. Believe it or not, people are capable of living a good life without religion. That being the case, I fail to see why they are still needed. Without religion, we have a slightly more depressed population who now have a lot of extra free time that they can devote to doing something productive. Without science...we have a bunch of hunched over humanoids wiping their asses with leaves, and beating pigs to death with rocks.

Yep, clearly religion is the more important here.

I came into this thread fully prepared to deal with the mountains of stupidity, and a will strong enough to shovel through the piles of vacuous crap that people keep throwing at me so that I can possibly knock some logic into their faithful little minds. I assure you, you have yet to even find a button.

Your next sentence implies that prior to religion, most federal laws didn't exist, and nobody had any morals. Congratulations world history, you are dead wrong; prior to religion, there was complete and total anarchy. The fact that third graders aren't very reasonable was kind of the point I was trying to get at. It isn't very hard to see the hole that religion has blasted in our overall knowledge. I seem to remember a period in time where people were keen to throw many, many books into giant bonfires, and I assure you, it wasn't the atheists that were advocating this literary barbecue. Overall, you seem to be totally missing my point, so I will try and put it into an analogy that you could understand.

Let's say that you have a person in a race. This person is called Science. About 30 meters out of the starting line, a nasty little troublemaker named Religion sticks his foot out, and trips Science. Now Science has to waste valuable time re-cooperating from the SETBACK that Religion has just caused it, and as a result will cross the finish line at a date that is farther into the future than originally expected.

You freely admit that the two largest religious belief systems rule by fear, and you still continue to advocate their existence. Believe it or not, people are capable of living a good life without religion. That being the case, I fail to see why they are still needed. Without religion, we have a slightly more depressed population who now have a lot of extra free time that they can devote to doing something productive. Without science...we have a bunch of hunched over humanoids wiping their asses with leaves, and beating pigs to death with rocks.

Yep, clearly religion is the more important here.

Prior to religion there was anarchy, and yet don't see a need for its existence?
And you've altered my argument completely; I'm not saying either thing is more important than the other--I'm saying that the two things, while contradictory, are complementary. Science is nothing like a race, and one guy sticking his foot out says nothing of the terrain the race was being run on in the first place. Science is seldom just "smooth sailing," there's a lot of shit to do; not to mention, funding, manpower, and overall intelligence which unfortunately the world has been short on for some time. Who's to say the racer wouldn't have tripped over a root, or been hit by a car?

My point is, science without ethics is pointless. There are people in the world that can establish a code of ethics without a religion. This argument is not pertaining to them. Say you have two babies: one is breast fed, one is formula fed. If you take the bottle from one, it will cry. If you take the breast from one, it will cry. If you try to put one on formula, and the other on breast milk, they will both refuse the other's nutrient because they aren't accustomed to it. That's sort of how the world works. Sure, if the mother dies and the infant has no choice but to drink the artificial substitute, it will have no choice; there will be certain sicknesses and repercussions, but it will adapt.
So if somehow the entire world decides to refute the existence of god, whether in unison or over the span of various eons until the very ideology is extinct--which will be a very difficult endeavor in and of itself--there will be a period of anarchy, possible genocide, etc just because....well, they can. Eventually, hopefully, they'll come to their senses and accept some new substitute as opposed to starving to death. Whether that substitute be logic, some new religion, or an iron fisted dictator who tells them how to think, the people exposed to that interference will come to accept it.

And for the record, accepting logic you don't understand is pretty much authoritative religion. If people accept something simply because its titled "logical" but aren't intelligent enough to know what "logic" is, then they're better off going with people with a cool mascot.

In closing, you seem to be making religion out to be the biggest evil in the world. That just isn't true. Sure, people do stupid shit and then justify it with religion. But people do that just as much with science, photographic evidence, or flawed logic. There are unfortunately some people in this world who confuse god for that voice in the back of their head that tells them to burn down houses and rape women, but those aren't religious people: those are crazy people. And no one is trying to justify their actions.

In closing, you seem to be making religion out to be the biggest evil in the world. That just isn't true. Sure, people do stupid shit and then justify it with religion. But people do that just as much with science, photographic evidence, or flawed logic. There are unfortunately some people in this world who confuse god for that voice in the back of their head that tells them to burn down houses and rape women, but those aren't religious people: those are crazy people. And no one is trying to justify their actions.

I don't think it's the biggest evil in the world. Human nature is the biggest evil in the world, and religion takes advantage of human nature; inspiring people to do heinous acts out of fear, and promoting the ransacking of opposing villages out of greed. You think the crusades were caused by thousands of Christians with crazy little voices in their heads? No. The Crusades were a RELIGIOUSLY SANCTIONED military strike to take back Jerusalem from the Muslims.

Science changes its views based on what is observed; faith is the denial of observation so that belief may be preserved. That is what disgusts me about a lot of Christianity, and that is why my beef is with them.

They're more than willing to listen to doctors and surgeons in regards to their medical health. How did doctors and surgeons obtain this knowledge pertaining to their medical health? The scientific process. However, when a geologist, or a biologist tries to tell them how old the Earth is, or how evolution works, they blatantly ignore them even though they too use the scientific process. I understand that there are denominations of Christianity that have accepted evolution, and that admit that the Earth is over 4 billion years old. I'm not referring to them. I'm referring to the bloody creationists who are all too damn blind to put one foot in front of the other by themselves.

Um....the crusades were an act of the Holy Roman Empire. Its not really "religiously" sanctioned; it was very much a political thing.
And medicine had to overcome religious obstacles as much as any other science; there was a period where scientists had to hire people to steal corpses from their graves just to learn anatomy. Surgery was a practice that many didn't regard as legitimate medical practice for centuries.
As for the "creationists" too blind to accept the obvious, well...I referred to them as the crazy people. No one's defending them. And if they aren't so radical that they're hurting other people, then let them believe what they may.

Um....the crusades were an act of the Holy Roman Empire. Its not really "religiously" sanctioned; it was very much a political thing.
And medicine had to overcome religious obstacles as much as any other science; there was a period where scientists had to hire people to steal corpses from their graves just to learn anatomy. Surgery was a practice that many didn't regard as legitimate medical practice for centuries.
As for the "creationists" too blind to accept the obvious, well...I referred to them as the crazy people. No one's defending them. And if they aren't so radical that they're hurting other people, then let them believe what they may.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Read the first sentence of that article. In fact, read the second sentence too.
Well, I was simply referring to the double standard that creationists seem to have. It's okay for them to get vaccinated and take vitamins that were developed by scientists...but god forbid do they listen to the other scientific branches. It's simply ridiculous.

It's not so much that they're hurting other people(though I'm sure that they are, I'm just not aware of how), rather they're affecting the lives of people who do not participate in that belief. Look at our educational system. I can't imagine how many frustrated biology teachers there are out there because of how difficult it is to peacefully teach evolution out there. I don't mind people having their own views, but if you have a problem with the public educational system teaching the truth, then you can haul your kid off to a bloody private school.

I'm just frustrated. Mainly because the whole 'separation of church and state' thing seems to no longer apply.

Church and state are adequately divided; and if parents have a big enough issue with evolution being taught in school, they can always home school their kids. I grew up a muslim in the educational system, and everything went relatively swimmingly, even in spite of that whole 9-11 thing.
I've had christian friends, satanist friends, anarchist friends, hindu, buddhist, pastafarian, and just about everything else. Some of them, even the christians, have gone on to pursue careers in science.

For the record, I think that wikipedia--reliable as it is--is referring to "religiously sanctioned" as "the Pope said its ok." Back then, the Pope was a political figure; as much so as a king, queen, duke, or bishop. No one's excusing the Crusades as being inhumane just because the Pope was involved; the war was as inhumane as any other war fought against any people for the sake of differing belief or ethnicity.

Church and state are adequately divided; and if parents have a big enough issue with evolution being taught in school, they can always home school their kids. I grew up a muslim in the educational system, and everything went relatively swimmingly, even in spite of that whole 9-11 thing.
I've had christian friends, satanist friends, anarchist friends, hindu, buddhist, pastafarian, and just about everything else. Some of them, even the christians, have gone on to pursue careers in science.

For the record, I think that wikipedia--reliable as it is--is referring to "religiously sanctioned" as "the Pope said its ok." Back then, the Pope was a political figure; as much so as a king, queen, duke, or bishop. No one's excusing the Crusades as being inhumane just because the Pope was involved; the war was as inhumane as any other war fought against any people for the sake of differing belief or ethnicity.

Alright, fair enough. I could believe that. However, what do you suppose they meant by "The Crusades originally had the goal of recapturing Jerusalem and the Holy Land from Muslim rule and their campaigns were launched in response to a call from the Christian Byzantine Empire for help against the expansion of the Muslim Seljuk Turks into Anatolia."

See, now the words Christian, Muslim, and Holy Land are used a little too often for me to believe that this was a political struggle.

And could you explain how exactly this was a political move? What was the political gain of having Christian Crusaders pillage Muslim territories, rape their women, and slaughter their children? I've looked through the whole article, and I can find only a couple places where politics were even talked about. In the first paragraph it says that there were some campaigns fought against the political enemies of the various popes, but that was only touched on in one sentence, and never really explained.
It says that due to some political struggles, the Crusades branched out from their original aim, but that doesn't really enforce your point.

The original goal of the Crusades was to take back Jerusalem, which was the birthplace of Christianity, from the Muslims. Politics did not start this. The democrats were not taking Jerusalem from the republicans, okay? The crusades may have helped reinforce some political leaders, but they were NOT started by politics.

I fail to see what part of Christian empire versus Muslim village sounds like a political battle.

One of the courses I study in university is physics, so when I do an assignment or a term paper, I do so with what I have learned and been taught in class. I may disgree at or with certain points, but I do want to make good grades, even though it isn,t what I am majoring in. I along with a number of my classmates have had some rather heated arguments with our professor on this very topic. We can do that in our classroom without fear of repercussions. These exchanges could have possibly turned ugly and perhaps even into knockdown drag-em-outs if we had been in a different environment or forum, and yet, I see this very same professor in church. So what is he doing there? Is he hedging his bets just in case? Science is a very useful tool, dry, matter of fact, but everchanging, with no humanity, and is flawed. Christianity is flawed and everchanging, and you can argue about the humanity in it as well, just as any other type of religion, supposed non religion, idealogy, philosophy or anything else. Many wars and terrorist acts are caused by perverted and radical religious beliefs, just as they are caused by and for material gain out of greed and a lust for power. Nobody wins, except those who choose to send our troops into battle or put them in harms way under false pretences, while they line their pockets over the blood of mothers, daughters, fathers and sons. I use science each day in one form or other to accomplish any variety of things, but I still question it. I also question certain types of religions as well as my own at times, and no Relent, I was never taught by a pedophile in a white collar:lol, sorry. I sometimes think that we should have all read the Bible for ourselves using a Bullingers or other companion as it does contain so much symbolism and was written so long ago. I also know that there were more than 30 gospels written and we should have access to all of them. I can see the faults, I,m not as blind or stupid as I may be considered to be. I could care less about snap judgements and need to generalize or marginalize. We can all read the same book, it doesn,t matter which one, and come away with differing opinions, views and conclusions, but that is where a healthy discussion comes into play, instead of ranting or pushing your own private assessment or agenda on someone else, insisting that yours is the only correct one, and that you are the only one who truly sees the light. Questions about any subject matter means that there is room for doubt. We cannot and will never know everything, it,s impossible. We learn more everyday, but no-one has read and understood every book ever written or published, studied and learned every subject, technological discovery, medical or the myriad of others to perfection, and weighed the pros and cons of all of them against each other. If we had, much or most of the weaponry and methods we use in which to kill, maim or disfigure, would have never have left the drawing board or lab and a cure for cancer and all of the other deadly diseases could have been found. Imagine if the same amount of funding, drive, interest and devotion had been placed in curing and not killing. I cannot understand why science is used to the detrimant of humanity and also to scare and intimidate, and if you were born, raised and educated where I am, between the two biggist bullies on the planet who are forever posturing and threatening, you too might understand what I mean. Being capable of destroying our habitat, invirionment and the people who live here without taking this technology and using it to positive advantage makes no sense to me, whatsoever. We haven,t finished discovering and learning about all of wonders of and on our own planet, the different species, and all life and nonlife forms that exist here and what they have to offer and represent as to positive effect or some measure of enlightenment. It makes me uncomfortable when people talk about sailing off to Mars, as if they have given up on our planet because there have been stumbling blocks or forks in the road along the way. There is no perfect world and there will not come a time that we find one, here or on another planet, but that shouldn,t stop us from trying to improve our way of life and caring for those who are unable to do it for themselves through no fault of their own. Perhaps you weren,t prom king, coming home queen, money is tight, can,t get your dream career, wasn,t the most gorgeous, handsome, popular, intelligent, sports jock or you felt ignored, picked on or bullied. So now is it your turn to bully and make everyone else pay for it, or for your own short-comings{most won,t admit to that} preferring instead to blame others or circumstances? Go ahead, live on a rusty, freezing and miserable planet, be my guest, that,ll show em. I just happen to believe that there is much more to be accomplished and repaired here first, before we take the next step or leap. People have enough difficulty getting along here, and this thread is a perfect example, let alone being prepared to infiltrate and occupy another space and world with such a hostile climate. Starvation, poverty, shelter, economics, disease, healthcare, pollution, our judicial systems, laws, violence, war and a better form of government are what we should be concerned about and focusing our attention on. Our priorities are either in the wrong order, all mixed up or completely off target. You don,t need to be spiritual, theist, agnostic or athiest to do the right thing. Save space travel and the setup of inter-planetary communities for another day. We live here now, in the present, not the future. Technology is wonderful instrument and it,s applications should be used to the benefit of all mankind. Is that too idealistic to ever be attained? Perhaps so, if it is, do we give up or keep striving for something better? Lets get it right here first before getting caught up and wasting time, money and energy on someone elses pipe-dreams which may be several lifetimes away at the very least. I,m more interested and concerned about the kind of world we hand over to our children, if there is one left to hand over. We haven.t exactly been the best of keepers, preservers and tenants to this gift we,ve been given, whether you believe in God or not. Some are very angry because God himself hasn,t appeared before them in person, patted them on the head and bestowed upon them all the answers to the universe. Others are angry at the state of our planet and at God for seemingly standing in the wings and letting this along with all the atrosities and corruption take place. What kind of a loving and forgiving God would hesitate and not help when he is supposedly all seeing and all powerful? I can only speak about what I have read and learned and I hesitate to give my interpretation because some will see it as a sermon or preachy and be offended. Believe it or not, I try my best not to do that. I understand why certain people may be offended but these same groups or individuals would not hesitate to offend me or my peers and have done so without remorse. I get angry as well when someone questions my personal beliefs, then sits back in judgement, believing in their own sophistication and astuteness, all smug in their comfort zone, safe and hiding behind a keyboard, feeling superior, as if they have been there and done all of that, bullshit! You will never have all of your answers and neither will I, not in this life and if indeed you are correct and there is nothing in the hereafter, then hope for many is lost. Without hope, what do most have? A person without hope can be extremely dangerous and unrepentant, perhaps that is why we have the world as it is now, because of greed, glutony, sloth and ignorance. Becoming frustrated by disagreement and wanting to impose your will on others and then lashing out, if is isn,t working, isn,t going to help. I have done so myself at the beginning of this thread, to no avail and it was ridiculous of me to get caught up in something as absurd as an argument between science and religion in the first place. Everyone is still searching for answers and are as much in the dark as anyone else, even though they might disagree and tell you that they know all, with certainty, or falsely deny that they do not know. The thought of impending death at some point for all of us, is the great equilizer, we are born with nothing and we leave this life the same way as we came into it. From dust we came and to dust we shall return. That statement is perhaps harsh and over simplified, but it is true. We will be absorbed into the earth in one form or another after we die. Does our spirit then fly off to be with the creator, lay in a dormant stage until called upon, or is there such an entity as a spirit at all? Is there a heaven or paradise in the afterlife and is there an afterlife? Believe as you will. I said that there would be no negotiating with my personal beliefs in a different thread, I meant it then and I mean it now. There were two separate people, atheists by there own admission, who somehow took offence to what I had said even though I attempted to explain myself in a non obtrusive way and jumped all over it even though I would have been perfectly delighted, contented and willing to leave it there, but instead, they preferred to attack me and my beliefs on a personal level, as if they are the be-alls, end-alls and know-it-alls, again, bullshit! I don,t like discussing it, it,s no-ones business but my own and I don,t go around preaching about it as they do about their own ways of perception. I,m perfectly willing to keep it to myself but they can,t leave well enough alone and feel the need to go on and on pestering, badgering and trying to push their beliefs not only on me but and other believers as well as the undecideds, when most reading these comments probably wish that we would all just shut up. I respectfully agree with those that do. How does what I believe affect your lives? Neither of you know me, and from what I have read from each of you, twisting, corrupting and taking statements, and not just mine out of context to suit your own ends. I have no intention or desire of getting to know either of you let alone ever becoming friends. I went ahead and pushed some of their buttons as they had mine, got some hollow enjoyment from doing so, as I knew it angered them as much as they had angered me. The anger or enjoyment didn,t last, there was no point to this exercise in futility, except that some feed off negativity. It helps them to feel better about themselves in some vague way, which I wouldn,t venture to attempt to explain. You are not going to change my mind, neither I yours, so accept it and get on with your lives. I might not agree with what you believe or disbelieve, but I would never take away your right to think, write or state it, unless there was danger or a physical threat of harm toward society, persons or individuals. There is no reason why Christianity and all other forms of religion along with science can,t co-exist, so lighten up and I,ll do the same. I won,t be back to read any of your comments, this is my final statement on this uncompromising and rude thread, in which I have been as rude, derisory and uncompromising at times as anyone else. For that, I do apologize, it couldn,t be any other way I,m afraid. When you are continually poking, prodding and attempting to tear down someones foundations, they tend to become combative. It is an obnoxious act to begin with and they are vexations to the spirit, mine at least, even if they do not believe in such themselves. It comes down to common courtesy and being polite, if nothing else. For those who came to this late. this argument began in another thread about why Bill Maher is a great American. I happen to like him and agree with him 90% of the time and wish that there were more like him being watchdogs for the rest of us on political and environmental issues. I do feel that there are somethings that are off limits however, mine and others personal beliefs in particular and whether or not we do or do not believe in a creator. If he wants to attack the institution I have no problem, but not the individual. He has a forum that we do not have access to as individuals and he is able to spout his own particular brand of propaganda without absolute proof is no better than many tv evangalists, most of whom I disagree with, especially when they come across as nothing more than money grubbing harlots. I was trying to be kind there.

Last edited:
Alright, fair enough. I could believe that. However, what do you suppose they meant by "The Crusades originally had the goal of recapturing Jerusalem and the Holy Land from Muslim rule and their campaigns were launched in response to a call from the Christian Byzantine Empire for help against the expansion of the Muslim Seljuk Turks into Anatolia."

See, now the words Christian, Muslim, and Holy Land are used a little too often for me to believe that this was a political struggle.

And could you explain how exactly this was a political move? What was the political gain of having Christian Crusaders pillage Muslim territories, rape their women, and slaughter their children? I've looked through the whole article, and I can find only a couple places where politics were even talked about. In the first paragraph it says that there were some campaigns fought against the political enemies of the various popes, but that was only touched on in one sentence, and never really explained.
It says that due to some political struggles, the Crusades branched out from their original aim, but that doesn't really enforce your point.

The original goal of the Crusades was to take back Jerusalem, which was the birthplace of Christianity, from the Muslims. Politics did not start this. The democrats were not taking Jerusalem from the republicans, okay? The crusades may have helped reinforce some political leaders, but they were NOT started by politics.

I fail to see what part of Christian empire versus Muslim village sounds like a political battle.

If I had to guess, I'd say that wikipedia published the article that way because that was the statement that was released concerning it at the time. Try reading any article about the Iraq war, and you won't see a single word about oil; it'll say something about hunting terrorists, then defending a people's freedom and unseating a despot, etc etc etc. This was one of many instances where the blind faith of ignorant masses was abused for political gain.
You have to remember the "sugary coat" some historians like to put in textbooks.
And political parties and beings of entirely different cultures are apples and oranges; you'd be easier pressed to compare, say, the various tribes of Africa. They have different languages, religions, etc, and they're fighting--if not for resources--then for territory.

Rifleman- I'd love to argue with you, but I honestly don't want to read all of that. {XD Could we get maybe a summary of your argument?

Well, that's fine. If you don't want to believe Wikipedia, that's understandable. However, I'd like to point out that in the 'Footnotes' section of each article, they cite their sources. If you don't believe anything that anyone tells you, then you're a little too skeptical; particularly if you aren't a historian. I'm not going to question a historian because I'm not going to pretend that I understand their subject better than they do.

I could send you links to every site on the internet that claims that the Crusades were all about religious dominance, but there's no point if you aren't going to believe it.

And Rifle, I have to agree with Relent. Sum that up in a paragraph and I'll give it a go. It's too early in the morning for me to sift through all of that.

Questions about any subject matter means that there is room for doubt. We cannot and will never know everything, it,s impossible.

Turn those questions to your religion.

There is no reason why Christianity and all other forms of religion along with science can,t co-exist, so lighten up and I,ll do the same.

Any god that endorses slavery and rape shouldn't be listened to, real or not. christianity is not only incompatible with science, but it's incompatible with morality itself.

this argument began in another thread about why Bill Maher is a great American. I happen to like him and agree with him 90% of the time and wish that there were more like him being watchdogs for the rest of us on political and environmental issues.

That was a joke, right? Bill Maher is an idiot 90% of the time. The only thing he did worth any notice was the movie Religulous.

One of the courses I study in university is physics, so when I do an assignment or a term paper, I do so with what I have learned and been taught in class. I may disgree at or with certain points, but I do want to make good grades, even though it isn,t what I am majoring in. I along with a number of my classmates have had some rather heated arguments with our professor on this very topic. We can do that in our classroom without fear of repercussions. These exchanges could have possibly turned ugly and perhaps even into knockdown drag-em-outs if we had been in a different environment or forum, and yet, I see this very same professor in church. So what is he doing there? Is he hedging his bets just in case? Science is a very useful tool, dry, matter of fact, but everchanging, with no humanity, and is flawed. Christianity is flawed and everchanging, and you can argue about the humanity in it as well, just as any other type of religion, supposed non religion, idealogy, philosophy or anything else.

I thought the point of the University was to actually learn things from a professor who knows a hell of a lot more about the subject than you do, not argue with him about it. As for why he is in Church? I don't know; why are you in college if you so blatantly disagree with everything they teach? Maybe he is a Christian. So what? He either doesn't believe in all of Christianity, or he doesn't believe in everything he teaches. You fail to understand that there is no common ground between the two things.

Tell me, if Christianity is ever-changing, then why are you still using the same circular arguments that have been proven wrong thousands of times? Not only can I argue about the humanity in it, I can demonstrate the inhumanity of it.

By the way, I'd like to mention that the ultimate goal of science as a collective tool is to improve the quality and length of the human experience. If that isn't humane enough for you, then I don't know what is.

That is a big if, as by most definitions God is a concept that is not falsifiable, thus beyond empiricism, especially if it is a pantheist or panentheist God; it would be indistinguishable from what we can observe anyway.

It is not like alien intelligence, which might seem God-like, but is empirically falsifiable, although it might take more effort to falsify alien intelligence than Russell's teapot, given the number of stars there are. My own thoughts are to put the supernatural (God, ghosts ect) down as highly improbable due to lack of evidence for them, but I wouldn't presume that the knowledge yet exists whereby we must discount them. The empirical view works well, but cannot even test for some hypotheses that are considered scientific, such as string and M theory, or certain ideas in cosmology. Some mathematical ideas work in logic, but not via empiricism: How do we test for higher dimensions we can use in formulae, but not actually perceive? I believe these areas are more interesting than any ideas about God and how to define Him.

However, we are in agreement that most, if not all, religions are an intellectual scam.

Last edited:

Touche.
I was referring more to education, but yeah; I can see where that might be a bit frustrating.
Still, I would have to say that this gay rights thing, while most notably hindered by religious fanatics (key word being "fanatics") is a social issue. There are an equal number of atheist that also believe "gay is weird/wrong."
It makes them uncomfortable, but at the very least I will give those people--let's call them "bigots"--the credit that at least they aren't hiding behind god, or some obscure scripture taken out of context.

Touche.
I was referring more to education, but yeah; I can see where that might be a bit frustrating.
Still, I would have to say that this gay rights thing, while most notably hindered by religious fanatics (key word being "fanatics") is a social issue. There are an equal number of atheist that also believe "gay is weird/wrong."
It makes them uncomfortable, but at the very least I will give those people--let's call them "bigots"--the credit that at least they aren't hiding behind god, or some obscure scripture taken out of context.

Still doesn't change the fact that the Church should have absolutely NO say in whether gay marriage is legal or illegal, as that is a matter of STATE law.

That being said, separation of Church and State does not apply.

Still doesn't change the fact that the Church should have absolutely NO say in whether gay marriage is legal or illegal, as that is a matter of STATE law.

That being said, separation of Church and State does not apply.

The church has jack shit to do with the actual legal process against anything. If it comes down to a vote, and it usually does--whether congressional or popular--it comes down to the electorate being forced to represent the opinions of its populous. I mean, if you elect someone who's all "I believe marriage should be a thing between man and woman," that's how he'll vote on that issue.

Maybe not directly, but you're forgetting that the United States of America is called a CHRISTIAN nation for a reason. When a nation is categorized as 'Christian' it can probably be deduced that the vast majority of it's populace is Christian. You may also be able to deduce that these people uphold the ideas and rules of the Christian church. Now, I'm not saying that ALL Christians are against gay marriage, but as you said earlier, this would be one of those times where it fell under the umbrella of, 'But most of them do'.

Also, I liked how you agreed with Ariel, yet disagreed with me when I restated her point. I do love a good double standard.

Dude...we were founded by Puritans and capitalist. Thats the kind of belief system our country was founded on, but then we had a lot of other people come from other places, and for those people the law had to be amended. Our dollar bills also say "one nation under god" and "in god we trust", etc. But that doesn't mean that the church runs the country. It just comes down to who's the majority and who's the minority. Its not as if we're working on a class system.

Also, I didn't agree with anyone; and who the hell is Ariel? XD

What's New

9/21/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a second to say hello to us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back